Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Bands That Shouldn't Reunite
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 17:26

Having seen all these discussions about "one person that should do this/that" or "one person that shouldn't do this/that" have any one of you ever thought about what bands should or shouldn't reunite?

Take the Swedish band ABBA. They were perhaps best known for their 1977 #1 hit "Dancing Queen" in the U.S. (in the U.K. they considerably had more popularity and a few more #1 hits).

Fans of the Swedish quartet had hoped for a reunion ever since the success of their stage play "Mamma Mia!" which was based around all the group's old songs, such as the song of the same name, "S.O.S.," "Waterloo" and of course the aforementioned "Dancing Queen."

The group, so far, have said no to any reunion offers.

In response to the group's rejection of a $1 billion offer to reunite in 2000, Bjorn Ulvaeus says: "This is the budget of a small country so we had to give it some thought. In the end, we decided that, whatever offer comes up on the table, that it would be stupid to reform and utterly ludicrous to change the images people all over the world have of us."

Ulvaeus then said in 2008: "We will never appear on stage again. There is simply no motivation to regroup. Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were 30 years ago." Additionally, he says: "I remember Robert Plant saying Led Zeppelin were a cover band now, because they cover all their own stuff. I think that hit the nail on the head."

Benny Andersson quotes: "We'd need a good reason to reform and I just don't see one. We could never recreate the old days. I'd rather be remembered for the way we were 30 years ago."

So, tell me, do you think of any bands that should or shouldn't reunite after all those years ago?

Bands that should reunite:
Supertramp as Rick Davies, Roger Hodgson, Dougie Thomson, Bob Siebenberg and John Helliwell (1973 to 1983)

Kansas as Steve Walsh, Kerry Livgren, Rich Williams, Dave Hope, Phil Ehart and Robby Steinhardt (1973 to 1981)

The Cure as Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Simon Gallup, Boris Williams and Lol Tolhurst (1984 to 1988) or as Smith, Thompson, Gallup, Williams and Roger O'Donnell (1988 to 1993).

Styx as Dennis DeYoung, James "J. Y." Young, Tommy Shaw, Chuck Panozzo and Todd Sucherman (1995 to 1999). John Panozzo, the fraternal twin brother of bassist Chuck, died July 16, 1996 at age 47 or 48.

Genesis as Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Steve Hackett, Phil Collins and Tony Banks (1970 to 1975).

And remember Yes? Well ... during 1991 there was a lineup containing every member in the prog-rock band's history except for keyboardist Peter Banks.

Bands that shouldn't (or can't) reunite:
ABBA - for reasons stated previously

The Who - down to two members

The Beatles - down to two members

Led Zeppelin - Singer Robert Plant recently said the group were a cover band due to them re-recording all their own stuff.

~Ben

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-29 01:56 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Bands That Shouldn't Reunite
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:12

Yes not only reunited, at one time there were two competing versions reuniting at the same time!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:20

BrianJones1969

Supertramp as Rick Davies, Roger Hodgson, Dougie Thomson, Bob Siebenberg and John Helliwell (1973 to 1983)

Kansas as Steve Walsh, Kerry Livgren, Rich Williams, Dave Hope, Phil Ehart and Robby Steinhardt (1973 to 1981)

The Cure as Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Simon Gallup, Boris Williams and Lol Tolhurst (1984 to 1988) or as Smith, Thompson, Gallup, Williams and Roger O'Donnell (1988 to 1993).

Styx as Dennis DeYoung, James "J. Y." Young, Tommy Shaw, Chuck Panozzo and Todd Sucherman (1995 to 1999). John Panozzo, the fraternal twin brother of bassist Chuck, died July 16, 1996 at age 47 or 48.

Genesis as Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Steve Hackett, Phil Collins and Tony Banks (1970 to 1975).

And remember Yes? Well ... during 1991 there was a lineup containing every member in the prog-rock band's history except for keyboardist Peter Banks.

~Ben

I can only hope that the musical abomination known as Styx never, ever reunite.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:25

BrianJones1969
Bands that shouldn't reunite:
should be "bands that CAN'T reunite". how can you reunite a band that doesn't exist?

also, kudos to Abba for not taking the money and reuniting under false pretenses. they get such a bad rap. even the mere mention of Abba makes some people cringe, which is unfortunate because they had some good songs. catchy, very danceable. much respect to Abba for sticking to their guns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-28 18:26 by ineedadrink.

Date: June 28, 2011 18:27

styx and kansas are still around so how can they reunite?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:38

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:41

ineedadrink
BrianJones1969
Bands that shouldn't reunite:
should be "bands that CAN'T reunite". how can you reunite a band that doesn't exist?

also, kudos to Abba for not taking the money and reuniting under false pretenses. they get such a bad rap. even the mere mention of Abba makes some people cringe, which is unfortunate because they had some good songs. catchy, very danceable. much respect to Abba for sticking to their guns.

I didn't realise The Who had split up again.

Date: June 28, 2011 19:02

The Shaggs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-28 19:04 by 71Tele.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:07

The Rolling Stones.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: June 28, 2011 19:12

BrianJones1969

~Ben

Phil Collins recently retired, partly due to the fact that he can no longer play the drums. So being "still alive" often isn't enough.

The one band I've always wanted to see reunite are the classic line-up of Slade, but has they haven't played live since 1984 (& called it a day as an occasional studio band in 1991) it's unlikely that Noddy's voice would be up to it.

The Hollies are another fave of mine, but Allan Clarke quit in 1999 because he couldn't hit the high notes anymore (& it was obvious at last year's rock & roll hall of fame induction / jam that he can barely sing now).

We're very lucky that all the Stones (with the obvious exception of Brian) are in at least reasonable shape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-28 19:14 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:12

sweetcharmedlife
The Rolling Stones.winking smiley

There was only a hnadful of posters that could write that. I guessed that you were one of them.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:20

71Tele
The Shaggs.

They once did.

Saw them at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC. They opened for NRBQ at one of their two 30th Anniversary shows in 1999.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:35

BrianJones1969
The group, so far, have said no to any reunion offers.

In response to the group's rejection of a $1 billion offer to reunite in 2000, Bjorn Ulvaeus says: "This is the budget of a small country so we had to give it some thought. In the end, we decided that, whatever offer comes up on the table, that it would be stupid to reform and utterly ludicrous to change the images people all over the world have of us."

Ulvaeus then said in 2008: "We will never appear on stage again. There is simply no motivation to regroup. Money is not a factor and we would like people to remember us as we were 30 years ago." Additionally, he says: "I remember Robert Plant saying Led Zeppelin were a cover band now, because they cover all their own stuff. I think that hit the nail on the head."
W O W ! !
That is pretty impressive.... A BILLION DOLLARS??? wow!!! and they said no?! They are leaving what they did musically in the box in everyone's mind.... that is pretty cool.

Date: June 28, 2011 19:37

loog droog
71Tele
The Shaggs.

They once did.

Saw them at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC. They opened for NRBQ at one of their two 30th Anniversary shows in 1999.

Cool. Wish I would have been there! We used to listen to the Shaggs all the time at the office.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:43

Pink Floyd,but that will never happen.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 20:04

Donovan

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 28, 2011 20:09

Midnight Oil and Oingo Boingo would be fun to see originally

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 28, 2011 20:58

There is no "should" or "shouldn't" in this case. Every band that feels the desire for whatever reason - even only for cash - to reunite has every right to do so. If they do - good luck to them.

Date: June 28, 2011 20:58

The Rutles

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 28, 2011 21:00

alimente
There is no "should" or "shouldn't" in this case. Every band that feels the desire for whatever reason - even only for cash - to reunite has every right to do so. If they do - good luck to them.
+1 thumbs up never too old to rock and roll.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: June 28, 2011 21:28

WOW... That was incredibly disturbing. Sounds a lot like Velvet Underground on some really bad drugs. The drummer is probably THE WORST drummer I've ever heard in my entire life, Absolutely NO sense of "time". It makes me wonder about the drummers who she beat out for that gig. (the lyrics weren't bad though)

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 28, 2011 21:53

Milli Vanilli

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 28, 2011 22:10

I hate reunites...........done is done....over and out

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: June 28, 2011 22:36

71 Tele
loog droog

71Tele
The Shaggs.

They once did.

Cool. Wish I would have been there! We used to listen to the Shaggs all the time at the office.

Did you work for Torquemada and the Spanish inquisition board in the dungeons of Castile and Aragon?

Date: June 28, 2011 23:00

NICOS
I hate reunites...........done is done....over and out

Best reunite I ever saw were Chas & Dave on their recent tour, though it was only 18 months after they'd split up.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 29, 2011 02:28

punkfloyd
Milli Vanilli

Unlikely to happen since one of them is dead.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 29, 2011 02:32

People acting like they've never heard the Shaggs before.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 29, 2011 03:05

andrewm
People acting like they've never heard the Shaggs before.

I ain't acting - and really hope I don't hear 'em again. drinking smiley

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 29, 2011 07:11

THE KINKS! Yes Peter Quaife just died, but he also left the group in 1969.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 29, 2011 08:40

luckily Johnny Marr and John Squire have enough sense never to reform:
The Smiths
The Stone Roses

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home