Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
UNDERCOVER - Revisited
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 4, 2015 06:52

I was listening to Undercover, Voodoo, A Bigger Bang and Bridges hanging out in the backyard today.

I have to say...Undercover sounded the most fresh out of these 4 albums and throw Steel Wheels in there for five.

It was probably the last album they were trying to be relevant and forward.

When you listen to it...you can't imagine any of the songs on that album
appearing on the previous three - Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You
except Wanna Hold You...(which wouldn't have made two of those albums...might
have made Emotional Rescue).

The songs were very of the times and incorporated a lot of what was going on
and they were definitely experimenting and stretching their songwriting.

I have much more respect for Undercover...Post Tattoo You...I think it's their best.

PECMAN

Re: UNDERCOVER - Revisited
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2015 07:27

We seem to rehash this album every couple of weeks...but yes, I agree with you....best of the post Tattoo You albums and for me, best since Exile, save for Tattoo You and Some Girls.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 07:30

Other than the fact that I HATE "It Must be Hell" or "Feel on Baby," I totally agree. Most interesting post-TY record.

Date: September 4, 2015 07:41

LongBeachArena72
Other than the fact that I HATE "It Must be Hell" or "Feel on Baby," I totally agree. Most interesting post-TY record.[/quote

Well the problem with It Must Be Hell was we already heard the song before, 11 years earlier, so that was a cheap move.

But I like Feel On Baby...not maybe a standout track but just like some of the stuff on Exile that you may not think works on it's own, it fits the mood and tempo of the album. I think the album's better because of that song.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 08:08

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
Other than the fact that I HATE "It Must be Hell" or "Feel on Baby," I totally agree. Most interesting post-TY record.[/quote

Well the problem with It Must Be Hell was we already heard the song before, 11 years earlier, so that was a cheap move.

But I like Feel On Baby...not maybe a standout track but just like some of the stuff on Exile that you may not think works on it's own, it fits the mood and tempo of the album. I think the album's better because of that song.

On your rec, I'll give it another shot tmrw, Mr. Fingers. But I'm skeptical ...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 4, 2015 10:25

Pecman

...Post Tattoo You...I think it's their best.

PECMAN

Unfortuntely it doesn't ask much being that.... and still, besides being a huge disappointment after TATTOO YOU, it probably was altogether the weakest album they had released so far... (a tight with IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL I guess).

- Doxa

Date: September 4, 2015 10:28

It wasn't a disappointment after TY for me smiling smiley

Good old days! I listened a lot to this album – every day thumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 4, 2015 10:40

LongBeachArena72

Maybe this version convinces more:

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 4, 2015 10:47

To me post-EXILE - slightly better than EMOTIONAL RESCUE and still more better than SOME GIRLS - UNDERCOVER as their best album!
All those three albums better than every other album since EXILE.
(TY to me not in contention in any way and does not set standards.)

Date: September 4, 2015 10:50

DandelionPowderman

Well, me too. I tried to convince myself that I've seen another classic Rolling Stones album to born (which actually was my first new Stones album after being hooked by TATTOO YOU), but finally I gave up and understood that that their back catalogue is a bit too heavy in quality to compete with... (took some years tough).

But yeah, good days those were... teenager days...

- Doxa

Date: September 4, 2015 10:51

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Well, me too. I tried to convince myself that I've seen another classic Rolling Stones album to born (which actually was my first new Stones album after being hooked by TATTOO YOU), but finally I gave up and understood that that their back catalogue is a bit too heavy in quality to compete with... (took some years tough).

But yeah, good days those were... teenager days...

- Doxa

I got my first walkman along with the Undercover cassette that Christmas. Played that one and TY till they wore out smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:23

Fantastic album. The last time they still had that rare combination of sex, violence, drugs and danger.

Mathijs

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:29

I love this album. It brought back the angry, dangerous Stones, I´ve been missing a bit on Tattoo You and Emotional Rescue. SG, ER, TY is some kind of "feel-good-trilogy". Undercover gives back the feeling of Gimme Shelter and JJF. The mood is dark and there´s danger in the air. Undercover and Tattoo You couldn´t be more different. I like them both, but Undercover is more relevant to me.

If you can forget for an hour that the Stones have albums like LIB, SF, EOMS, Undercover is truly GREAT.

Date: September 4, 2015 11:45

Mathijs
Fantastic album. The last time they still had that rare combination of sex, violence, drugs and danger.

Mathijs

You are such a romantic, Mathijs...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 4, 2015 12:01

Compared with everything they did after it, it isn't that bad (if you skip "Wanna Hold You", "Too Tough", "All the Way Down" and "Soul S..." sorry "Must Be Hell" it could even be a good album).
Compared with everything they did before, it's one of their worst (unless you skip "Wanna Hold You", "Too Tough", "All the Way Down" and "Soul S..." sorry "Must Be Hell" ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 12:12 by matxil.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 4, 2015 12:08

HMS
I love this album. It brought back the angry, dangerous Stones, I´ve been missing a bit on Tattoo You and Emotional Rescue. SG, ER, TY is some kind of "feel-good-trilogy". Undercover gives back the feeling of Gimme Shelter and JJF. The mood is dark and there´s danger in the air. Undercover and Tattoo You couldn´t be more different. I like them both, but Undercover is more relevant to me.

If you can forget for an hour that the Stones have albums like LIB, SF, EOMS, Undercover is truly GREAT.

Not that I in any way am opposed to "feel good" music. However, it is not much "feel good" mentality about "Shattered", that you have declared not to like, or "All About You". And when you apparently (and not only you) do not like "Indian Girl", there is sympathy on dark background ( and some sentimental rather sincere feelings), by the way not without some Latin-American link with the song "Undercover". If you instead would mention the refrain of "Far Away Eyes", that "feel good" address approaches anyone, who is deep downcast. Besides, as to EMOTIONAL RESCUE, there are several songs relating to different kinds of negative feelings.

I rather refer to the common traits about SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER (but leave out TATTOO YOU), indicating that as the last golden period of the band, but, mark you, ending there. That is, also with Ronnie Wood being part of one golden period of the Rolling Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 12:10 by Witness.

Date: September 4, 2015 12:17

matxil
Compared with everything they did after it, it isn't that bad (if you skip "Wanna Hold You", "Too Tough", "All the Way Down" and "Soul S..." sorry "Must Be Hell" it could even be a good album).
Compared with everything they did before, it's one of their worst (unless you skip "Wanna Hold You", "Too Tough", "All the Way Down" and "Soul S..." sorry "Must Be Hell" ).

You surely mean «It Must Be The Honky Tonk Survivor»? winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2015 13:11

DandelionPowderman
matxil

You surely mean «It Must Be The Honky Tonk Survivor»? winking smiley

You're right, that's the one.
It makes me wonder, how more of their latter day work can be dissected into rehashes of previous work?

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 4, 2015 13:25

Feel on Baby is probobly my favourite song from Undercover. The album is really good but not as great as Tattoo You.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 4, 2015 15:31

Undercover and Dirty Work are my least favorite Stones albums. That said I just picked up the SACD of Undercover and it sounds great. Highly recommended although it has the original short version of WANNA HOLD YOU

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:09

Doxa
Mathijs

Mathijs

You are such a romantic, Mathijs...grinning smiley

- Doxa

grinning smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:16

I've always liked the album (like Black and Blue) but am aware it is not their best.

So I'd agree somewhat that if I had a choice of Stones albums to listen to from post Tattoo You then this would likely be it.

I like bits of Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, and Voodoo Lounge (especially outtakes on Voodoo Lounge), but the Undercover album soundwise is the most interesting.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:26

nightskyman
I've always liked the album (like Black and Blue) but am aware it is not their best.

So I'd agree somewhat that if I had a choice of Stones albums to listen to from post Tattoo You then this would likely be it.

I like bits of Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, and Voodoo Lounge (especially outtakes on Voodoo Lounge), but the Undercover album soundwise is the most interesting.

Yup - an excellent descripton.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:54

I love UNDERCOVER. Indeed their last album as an inventive band. The proper followup to EMOTIONAL RESCUE, U sees (hears) the Stones having written better songs and apparently having more interest in the production of the songs. Feel On Baby is a great example: Mick's harmonica, Keith's reggae riffs, the various percussion, the organ all jell to make a fantastic soundscape that certainly has an eeriness to it that they would never do again.

Tie You Up has some of Mick's best lyrics and the vocal work on that track is one of his best ever. She Was Hot is hilarious and cooks.

Undercover Of The Night is killer. It's too bad none of these songs have ever come off live worth a damn. But it's easy to understand. It's not an album to be played on the road. They'd need 25 musicians on stage just to do Too Much Blood, which is brilliant (Keith's guitar during the "took her to his apartment, cut off her head" lines is outstanding). That vocal leer of Pretty Beat Up and in places in Too Tough. His snark throughout All The Way Down.

It Must Be Hell is an interesting combination of Soul Survivor meets Honky Tonk Women. Mick's snarling and harmonies make it work.

U is the last album to really feature all of Mick's talents as a singer. The layering he did with UOTN, SWH, Tie You Up, Feel On Baby (Keith's vocals are perfect) and All The Way Down is fantastic.

When UOTN came out, I had just turned 13. I heard Heartbreaker on the radio and thought, wow, that is a really cool Stones song. I didn't know Heartbreaker wasn't on U. So when I went to the record store and picked up U I thought I was in for a treat. Played the LP, no Heartbreaker.

That was my only disappointment with the LP. I soon figured out what LP had Heartbreaker on it.

In a way, U is the last Stones album that matters, because the next one would be REWIND, a perfect compilation to sum up the last 12 years of their career. It would've been a great place to stop had they any sense.

But then we wouldn't have DIRTY WORK to claim to the top of the biggest pile of shit in the history of music now would we.

Date: September 4, 2015 18:02

LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
Other than the fact that I HATE "It Must be Hell" or "Feel on Baby," I totally agree. Most interesting post-TY record.

DAMN! I feel all kinds of pressure now!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 4, 2015 18:04

Tops
Feel on Baby is probobly my favourite song from Undercover. The album is really good but not as great as Tattoo You.

I always liked this album too, with Feel On Baby being the standout track!

Date: September 4, 2015 18:05

Tops

It's their best reggae attempt, and together with Tie You Up, indeed one of their best songs on that album.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:05

UOTN - over produced like most of the album, this track especially using every mixing desk trickery available in 83. Despite that it's grown on me over the years.
SWH - vintage stones intro and a great vocal, chorus not so hot hot hot. Amusing video.
TYU - A Jagger fav apparantly, don't get it
WHY - Keith by numbers
FOB - cod reggae, horrid
TMB - hilarious lyrics, still play it occasionally for light relief
PBU - mainly a Woody effort, over the top drums spoil it
TT - one of the better tracks, again production spoils what could have been better
ATWD - enjoyable lyrics but a so so song
IMBH - ghost riff from soul survivor

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:11

Mathijs

Mathijs

Rare in what context?

Olly.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:09

"Feel On Baby" is to Undercover

as "Heaven" is to Tattoo You

as "Can You Hear The Music" is to Goats Head Soup

as "Just Wanna See His Face" is to Exile On Main Street

They are all very atmospheric tracks and "Feel On Baby" definitely fits Undercover.

PECMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home