Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What Became of "Gold Painted Fingernails"?
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 25, 2011 04:41

Hello all,

The harp riff on this song ranks pretty highly for me. I've read that MJ played harp and i've read it was Brian. I always figured it was Mick because of the phrasing but it could have been Brian playing wasted.

Anyway.....I know I have heard this riff in another Stones song but played on a guitar. Can someone tell me which song it is? Maybe it's in one of thier "weaves" on a song on Some Girls.

You know how they do a song or a riff....we hear on a bootleg, and then it turns into Infamy 15 years later? That's what I'm talking about here.

This is making me nuts...trying to figure out where else I've heard this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: What Became of "Gold Painted Fingernails"?
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 25, 2011 04:53

Yeah, it sounds more like Mick than Brian, the riff doesn't sound that familiar to me.

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: June 26, 2011 16:19

If you listen to all the takes, it's clear it's Brian on harp. At one point, you hear Brian himself talking about how he's having problem bending the notes. Even without that confirmation, it sounds nothing like what Mick was capable of on harmonica at that time.

Can't say I remember ever hearing the riff in any other song though.

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: June 27, 2011 01:17

maybe a little bit like "she saw me coming" from a bigger bang....
harp vs. guitar

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 27, 2011 01:18

Cafaro
Hello all,

The harp riff on this song ranks pretty highly for me. I've read that MJ played harp and i've read it was Brian. I always figured it was Mick because of the phrasing but it could have been Brian playing wasted.

Anyway.....I know I have heard this riff in another Stones song but played on a guitar. Can someone tell me which song it is? Maybe it's in one of thier "weaves" on a song on Some Girls.

You know how they do a song or a riff....we hear on a bootleg, and then it turns into Infamy 15 years later? That's what I'm talking about here.

This is making me nuts...trying to figure out where else I've heard this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Brian on harp. My theory: this ended up as Love is Strong maybe combined or via Wicked as it seems. Same chords. similar riff on harp. I think they dug inte to this vault in 1993.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 30, 2011 04:43

Thanks! I need to go listen to those songs now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home