Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Welcome to New York
Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: August 26, 2015 14:38

Hi all,just d/l pristine copy of "Welcome to New York"1972.Ripped from vinyl.What a great sound.Now to make a cd made up of "Welcome" and Philadelphia .Yippee.

Re: Welcome to New York
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 26, 2015 15:25

One of my first Stones bootlegs and one the best IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 15:29 by kowalski.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 26, 2015 16:07

It is a great bootleg. I remember I got it when it was out, and played it over and over, just like Bedspring Symphony. TSP and TAKRL had some great recordings!

Bjornulf

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:41

It has a fantastic sound

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:46

I know there's a revised version with an audience recording completing the show but has anybody ever uncovered the first half of the show in soundboard quality?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 26, 2015 17:47

The first Bootleg i bought. I felt disappointed at the time at the lack of any audience noise. It makes it sound very odd imo.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: August 26, 2015 18:02

The Grateful Dead recordings are extremely quite,I myself prefer no audience noise.Paint it black you devil.LOL.BTW how come Tumblin Dice is on Philly,as the show says 1972 ?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 26, 2015 18:09

pike bishop
The Grateful Dead recordings are extremely quite,I myself prefer no audience noise.Paint it black you devil.LOL.BTW how come Tumblin Dice is on Philly,as the show says 1972 ?

LOL. If you've ever seen the taper section at a Dead show you know why. Those guys are serious man! Signs declaring no audience noise will be tolerated and evil stares and ejections for anyone who breaks the rules.

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 26, 2015 23:41

It was my very first bootleg. I bought it in a local record store in 1976. Hundreds followed. Nothing beats the first TMQ vinyl version.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 27, 2015 08:11

A essential 72 recording. Some beautiful Taylor work here.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 27, 2015 12:25

It's a great bootleg, and good performance, but the sound is indeed quite dry. (It's probably one of those soundboard mixdown tapes that VideoJames mentioned, when he said that Philly/Pittsburgh/Texas were probably the only multitrack recordings from the '72 tour).

It would be interesting to hear if a matrix with both the SB and an audience recording mixed together would sound good.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 27, 2015 13:17

geordiestone
The first Bootleg i bought. I felt disappointed at the time at the lack of any audience noise. It makes it sound very odd imo.

In fact, that troubled me, too, then. The sound quality is dry and lifeless. There are many better boots than Welcome to New York

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: August 27, 2015 13:31

LieB
It would be interesting to hear if a matrix with both the SB and an audience recording mixed together would sound good.

Isn't there already a matrix?, i'm not sure but there must be one. Anyone who knows?

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:44

I love this recording. The rawest sounding of 72/73. Has a real Leeds feel to it like they are in your living room.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:08

geordiestone

Agree. One of my first bootlegs. Took many years for me to revisit the 72/73-tour after this experience ....but suddenly ..thanks to other bootlegs....it's now my favourite tour (together with 73 and 81)

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:27

Tops
geordiestone

Agree. One of my first bootlegs. Took many years for me to revisit the 72/73-tour after this experience ....but suddenly ..thanks to other bootlegs....it's now my favourite tour (together with 73 and 81)
I have to admit i don't think i've listened to it since 1993 it was such a let down. But last christmas i got a record player so i may give it a spin again soon.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:48

One of the greatest vinyl bootlegs. Wasn't the tape stolen from the soundboard during JJF hence the recording is incomplete? It was just a cassette recording. Incredible separation of guitars into left and right channels. Some later vinyl bootlegs from this recording were of only one channel in mono. Might have been the Taylor channel but accept no substitute - the stereo version is best. A great recording if you appreciate Mick Taylor but Jagger is pretty intense on this show as well. Ultimately I prefer Philadelphia but Welcome To New York is so raw.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: August 28, 2015 20:23

Silver Dagger
I know there's a revised version with an audience recording completing the show but has anybody ever uncovered the first half of the show in soundboard quality?

Yes, I wonder where it is ? I wonder why we have not seen more soundboards from the 69 or 72 tours. I think they were all recorded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home