Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--Sad news about Glen Campbell
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 23, 2011 02:30

Re: OT--Sad news about Glen Campbell
Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: June 23, 2011 03:47

very sad - hope they come up with some meds to help these people.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 23, 2011 05:08

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: June 23, 2011 07:15

Damn. Killer singer. Killer guitarist.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 23, 2011 07:35

This is poignant and sad on several levels. I have always respected his talent as a guitarist and singer/performer. The fact that he recognizes his afflication and is fully cognizant of the the long-term implications of an Alzheimer's diagnosis, he is soldiering on, while his loved ones feel compelled to say that "if he flubs a lyric I hope they don't think he's drunk", etc., just tears your guts apart.

Such a cruel disease.

Go Glen, we're rooting for you.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: June 23, 2011 07:37

Awww. Very sad. I hope they come up with a cure.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 23, 2011 09:18

sad smiley

Fats Domino also has Alzheimer's, & is unlikely to record or perform again.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: June 23, 2011 10:12

I feel sad for Glenn, I have a dvd of his show. A very talent performer, I will miss him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-26 05:48 by tipps.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 23, 2011 11:55

Before he was famous, Campbell played as a studio musician on Frank Sinatra's STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT. Campbell said (on a talk show I saw), "I was so thrilled to be on a Sinatra session, that as I strummed my guitar, I watched him sing. Between phrases he'd look up from his microphone and catch me looking at him, when I'd turn away. He caught me looking at him a few times. After the session, the engineer said to me, `What did you do to Frank?' I said, `Nothin'. Why?' `Well, just before he left, he pointed at you and said, "Who's the fag with the guitar?"'"

Campbell said, "That just about killed me"

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 23, 2011 13:56

Sad news indeed

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 23, 2011 14:49

Great guitart player ! Before his solo career, was a member of ther Beach Boys for awhile ( circa 1965 ), also played on most Beach Boys tracks up to and including Pet Sounds, also played on many Monkees sessions, and was a member of Phil Spectors Wrecking Crew--so he's played on more hits and great albums than you can imagine ! Of course he had that fantastic stretch of hits in the mid to late 60's : John Hartfords "Gentle on My Mind", Jimmy Webbs "Witchita Lineman", "Galveston", "By The Time I Get to Phoenix"....solid solid performer !

God be with you Glen !

Date: June 23, 2011 15:31

bob r
Great guitart player ! Before his solo career, was a member of ther Beach Boys for awhile ( circa 1965 ), also played on most Beach Boys tracks up to and including Pet Sounds, also played on many Monkees sessions, and was a member of Phil Spectors Wrecking Crew--so he's played on more hits and great albums than you can imagine ! Of course he had that fantastic stretch of hits in the mid to late 60's : John Hartfords "Gentle on My Mind", Jimmy Webbs "Witchita Lineman", "Galveston", "By The Time I Get to Phoenix"....solid solid performer !

God be with you Glen !

And, relatively late in the game, he scored his only two #1 hits; Rhinestone Cowboy in '75 and Southern Nights in '77.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 23, 2011 19:07

Best wishes Glen.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 23, 2011 19:46

I had an aunt with Alzheimer's. As they say, it's the disease that afflicts the family as much as it does the individual. The person is there with you, but for all intents and purposes is gone, forever. Truly heartbreaking.

Date: June 26, 2011 02:21

when i was a kid, we went through Delight, Arkansas and my parents stopped at Glen's parents home. They let us in and talked to us. We got to see Glen's bedroom, all in red. They had a Heli pad in back for when he came home to visit.

Date: June 26, 2011 02:52

I saw him in person only once, in '93, at an all-star tribute to Jimmy Webb at Avery Fisher Hall in New York's Lincoln Center. He stole the show, hitting home run after home run, knocking each song he sang out of the park. He had that tough New York crowd in the palm of his hand. You just can't help but smile when you're in his presence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-26 02:53 by tatters.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 26, 2011 07:14

Sad news.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2100
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home