Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What if ... "Could You Walk On The Water" had been released instead of "Aftermath"
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 21, 2011 00:54

According to this article : Forty years after-math, by the end of 1965 the Stones wanted to release a new album named "Could You Walk On The Water?".
Decca rejected this first draft because of the title. And while waiting for their record company to change their mind about the title, the band went back to the studios and recorded a few more tracks. Finally they accepted to release their new album under a different title and added the new songs, which gave us "Aftermath"...

The track list for "Could You Walk On The Water" was like this :

Side One:
"19th Nervous Breakdown"
"Sad Day"
"Take It Or Leave It"
"Think"
"Mother's Little Helper"

Side Two:
"Goin' Home" (short version)
"Sitting On A Fence"
"Doncha Bother Me"
"Ride On Baby"
"Looking Tired" - an outtake from "Out Of Our Heads"

I must say that even if the songs fit well together, it's not as impressive as the Aftermath track list... Also it's only 30 minutes long while Aftermath is 52 minutes long. And some of the stronger cuts on Aftermath (Stupid Girl, Lady Jane, Under My Thumb...) are not present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-21 00:55 by kowalski.

Re: What if ... "Could You Walk On The Water" had been released instead of "Aftermath"
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:01

Don't forget Out Of Time.

They could have added Ride On Baby.....which fit's in nice

Re: What if ... "Could You Walk On The Water" had been released instead of "Aftermath"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:05

...UK Aftermath that's the one ya need ........

ROCKMAN

Date: June 21, 2011 01:20

Rockman
UK Aftermath that's the one ya need

That's the one we all need. But I was wondering what would have happened if they had released this 30 minutes long album (like they used to do until now) instead of Aftermath... Not sure it would have had the same effect.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: June 21, 2011 02:23

I heard that the Stones never had any intention of naming an album "Could You Walk On The Water?". I heard that it was an Andrew Oldham publicity stunt. There was supposedly a photograph taken of the Stones up to their necks in water and I've never seen that photo either.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 21, 2011 05:23

originalstones
I heard that the Stones never had any intention of naming an album "Could You Walk On The Water?". I heard that it was an Andrew Oldham publicity stunt. There was supposedly a photograph taken of the Stones up to their necks in water and I've never seen that photo either.

I heard the same thing, but I also heard that the cover for what became "High Tides and Green Grass" was supposed to be for "Could You Walk On the Water."

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: June 21, 2011 10:42

If they used the tracks that they didn't put on "Aftermath" pluss the ones they did use, they could have put out the Rock History first ever double album in 1966 !! (even before Bob Dylan!)
That whould have been something !! And It would have been a smash hit !

Anyone with any suggestion how the four side tracks listning whould have been ?
(I am at work, don't have the time right now)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 21, 2011 10:45

I wouldn't have mind that song-list...it's smells like 'Flowers' and who doesn't love that album?

2 1 2 0

Date: June 21, 2011 14:07

It's more pop music oriented than the final version of Aftermath and it would have made a nice pop album. The songs are are all originals, which makes quite a difference with Out Of Our Heads released the year before. But at the same time it lacks the Stones signature songs such as Stupid Girl or Under My Thumb.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 21, 2011 14:14

Counting the minutes until Havo joins in for his chorus....

Seeing this list of songs, I can't stop myself from being amazed how productive they were
in those years. The recorded so much songs, and making an album seemed to be more or less just
picking a lot and put them together.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 21, 2011 22:55

They kept being productive until the last 3 studio albums, don't you think so?
Voodoo Lounge has 15 tracks + 4 b-sides tracks, Bridges 13 tracks + 1 b-side and A Bigger Bang 16 tracks + 2 b-sides. The Stones has always been a very productive band since they started to write their own songs.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 21, 2011 23:30

WTF does the title Aftermath mean anyway?

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: June 21, 2011 23:35

where is HAVO?eye popping smiley

Date: June 21, 2011 23:58

Better ask Andrew I guess.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 22, 2011 00:02

Elmo Lewis

Probably the opposite from some of the Beatles albums released in '66

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 22, 2011 03:03

Elmo Lewis

According to the Stones it was a dig at Decca for giving them all the grief over the "Could you walk on water title" and their refusal to release it. Decca felt that the title was blasphemous and would turn off potential buyers (hence not releasing the toilet cover of Beggars Banquet despite having a song entitled "Sympathy For the Devil" ) How times have changed lol.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-22 15:27 by stevecardi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home