Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stay Off Politics
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 21, 2011 00:03

Once again, a certain individual could not resist the urge to use this Forum for his anti-Obama remarks. Then others (me included) respond to these remarks, because we feel they are not only inaccurate, but offensive. This is why we don't DO politics here. We will not settle political debates or the issues of the day on this forum, nor should we try. It only leads to bad feeling. I do think we should acknowledge how these scraps get started though. It usually starts with one person hurling the equivalent of a grenade and others then responding. It creates bad feeling amd more work for the moderator. Most of all, it is utterly pointless. It would be nice if the one individual who has started most of these fights would be able to contain himself in the future.

Re: Stay Off Politics
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:00

You're 100% right, I agree.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:06

Indeed your right.............

I was just try to post a similar quote on the closed thread, by the time I was finished it said "This Thread Is Closed"

I still don't understand why people want to discuss politics here on IORR as it always end in a fight between left and right wing....result everybody is frustrated.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:14

Yes, agreed. Never a fun topic and sure to get us all worked up for nothing.

We also cannot discuss weight of ex-Stones. This it seems, is also deeply offensive. From now on, we must only say, "they look great!"

Date: June 21, 2011 01:22

NICOS

I was just try to post a similar quote on the closed thread, by the time I was finished it said "This Thread Is Closed"

I still don't understand why people want to discuss politics here on IORR as it always end in a fight between left and right wing....result everybody is frustrated.

I agree and I have been guilty of responding to Mitchflorida's rants and comments, which I am sorry about, but I have never injected politics into a thread that wasn't a response to what someone else said.

I get enopugh political debate and negativity elsewhere. It would be nice if this were one place that was free of it. Frankly, I would rather not even know the politics of my fellow posters.

The other issue is that this is a multi-national forum, and arguments about U.S. politics must really be tiresome and/or confusing to those of us not from the U.S. OK, that's my last word.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:24

71Tele
It would be nice if the one individual who has started most of these fights would be able to contain himself in the future.

I have not read the thread, and I don't know who you are referring to, neither do I want to know. But yes, you are right, a political discussion usually ends up in a big fight. So I totally agree with the title for this thread. But let's not forget that there is always a very easy and simple way to make any thread disappear within 24 hours: Don't respond to it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 21, 2011 01:25

71Tele
OK, that's my last word.

Now you're joking, right ? smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: June 21, 2011 01:27

Rolling Hansie
71Tele
OK, that's my last word.

No.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:27

I'm okay with avoiding politics as long as politics within Stones lyrics isn't likewise off-limits.

Date: June 21, 2011 01:28

71Tele
NICOS

I agree and I have been guilty of responding to Mitchflorida's rants and comments, which I am sorry about, but I have never injected politics into a thread that wasn't a response to what someone else said.

I get enopugh political debate and negativity elsewhere. It would be nice if this were one place that was free of it. Frankly, I would rather not even know the politics of my fellow posters.

The other issue is that this is a multi-national forum, and arguments about U.S. politics must really be tiresome and/or confusing to those of us not from the U.S. OK, that's my last word.

Well at least I hope you don't know my politic background.
The most important here is, we got one big think in common don't let that spoil the party.......

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:34

Yeah stick to religion and everything will be fine ...,.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:36

Typical Presbyterian statement, Rockman! Your kind really ticks me off!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-21 01:36 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: June 21, 2011 01:40

No Politics No Religion on IORR Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll is the matter

Date: June 21, 2011 01:42

Rockman

LOL

-------------------

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 21, 2011 01:43

A foray into politics is an unfortunate distraction from the Big 4.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: June 21, 2011 03:21

Since my name was mentioned here, I was just responding to someone's anti Republican rant. Why that thread was allowed to go on for several days is beyond me.

Date: June 21, 2011 03:35

mitchflorida
Since my name was mentioned here, I was just responding to someone's anti Republican rant. Why that thread was allowed to go on for several days is beyond me.

Mr. Who Me?: You are the one who constantly comes up with anti-Obama comments with no provocation whatsoever. You also started an entire thread ("name your favorite President" I believe it was called) that had no purpose whatsoever except Obama-bashing. For those who don't remember, it depicted Pres. Obama trodding on the Constitution while the other U.S. Presdients throughout history looked on aghast. Please explain the Stones or music-related purpose for creating that particular thread? Just resist the urge to post those comments in the future and there won't be any issues.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 21, 2011 03:37

It's not me this time.

Date: June 21, 2011 04:03

71Tele
mitchflorida

Mr. Who Me?: You are the one who constantly comes up with anti-Obama comments with no provocation whatsoever. You also started an entire thread ("name your favorite President" I believe it was called) that had no purpose whatsoever except Obama-bashing. For those who don't remember, it depicted Pres. Obama trodding on the Constitution while the other U.S. Presdients throughout history looked on aghast. Please explain the Stones or music-related purpose for creating that particular thread? Just resist the urge to post those comments in the future and there won't be any issues.

Wow, you really liked that drawing it sounds like. You are the only one who remembers it. I can send you a copy if you like.

Date: June 21, 2011 04:16

mitchflorida
71Tele
mitchflorida

Wow, you really liked that drawing it sounds like. You are the only one who remembers it. I can send you a copy if you like.

Look, I don't care at this point if I get banned for a personal attack, but I think your idiotic posts here make this site unpleasant at times. That drawing was offensive to many people, and had nothing to do with the Rolling Stones. It did, however, help to demonstrate the level of your intelligence and thinking. The less I say about that, the better.

You want to trade political barbs? Fine. Do it somewhere else.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 21, 2011 04:41

People hate each other for no reason at all. Sad.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 21, 2011 04:43

Who cares already, political discussions can be interesting and fun. Its not life and death.

Date: June 21, 2011 04:47

The Sicilian
Who cares already, political discussions can be interesting and fun. Its not life and death.

I agree but it isn't really political discussion (at least as illustrated in the examples I used), it's attack and rant. I like nothing more than political discussion, done it all my life.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 21, 2011 06:20

Nice thoughts Tele. But I'm not sure what good it is starting a thread saying no politics when it's already board policy...Policy that no one follows. But what else is new?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: June 21, 2011 06:40

See I knew "Rockman" was a god

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 21, 2011 06:47

Yes my son...send all donations to Thee Church Of Thee Sacred Bleeding Heart Of Rockman+

Hurry offer closes on the last day+

Note: All donations over $100 are tax-deductable+

ROCKMAN

Date: June 21, 2011 08:12

71Tele
Rolling Hansie
71Tele
OK, that's my last word.

No.

This is too funny.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 21, 2011 09:25

It's a pity though that we can't have political debates here. I don't mind the heat as long it doesn't get personal. But there always seems to be a few hotheads who can't control themselves that spoils it in the end. The thing is, discussing The Rolling Stones can be a bit monotonous (and nerdy) at times, especially since the band is a no show since 2007. Discussing other things, like politics, keeps the mental balance somewhat.

Date: June 21, 2011 09:40

Stoneage
It's a pity though that we can't have political debates here. I don't mind the heat as long it doesn't get personal. But there always seems to be a few hotheads who can't control themselves that spoils it in the end. The thing is, discussing The Rolling Stones can be a bit monotonous (and nerdy) at times, especially since the band is a no show since 2007. Discussing other things, like politics, keeps the mental balance somewhat.

That's the thing, there was a time when the Stones were considered politically relevant - a very long time ago. It is interesting to discuss. What I was reacting against was not the discussion of politics but the tossing in of comments that to me are mere invective. Really designed to bring an equally hostile response.

I am very surprised that knowing the history of the Stones, their place in the counter-culture, etc. that so many conservatives are now fans. Conservatives at the time were hostile to the Stones' very existence. They were the same forces that wanted to put them in jail. They were against civil rights, against rock & roll, against the youth culture, etc. Nixon wanted to run Lennon out of the country, for example. The FBI harassed musicians, right-wing politicians railed against them. They supported severe penalties for recreational drug use. I am not trying to pick a fight with conservatives, and they have as much right obviously to be Stones fans as anyone, I am just surprised that the inheritors of the same political movement that worked very hard to suppress this music and these musicians are now fans of the Stones and other artists who conservatives at an earlier time worked so hard to oppose.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home