Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie on Bob Dylan's concert last night
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 19, 2011 12:06

Ronnie attended Bob Dylan's concert in Finsbury Park last night, placed in a boot on the side of the stage. Btw Dylan was in fine form.

Re: Ronnie on Bob Dylan's concert last night
Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 19, 2011 12:24

Oh... a booth.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 19, 2011 13:50

Yes, not bad show. Was there as was Gazza and Adrian. And incredible version of Highway 61. It's still hard to accept the old bugger willfully singing out of time to his originals - his phrasing sometimes doesn't even fit in with his vastly re-imagined takes on his classics. But hey, when you're in the presence of greatness every nugget tossed is a gem.

Here's the setlist.

'Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking'
'It's All Over Now Baby, Baby Blue'
'Things Have Changed'
'Tangled Up In Blue'
'Summer Days'
'Simple Twist Of Fate'
'Cold Irons Bound'
'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall'
'Highway 61 Revisited'
'Forgetful Heart'
'Thunder On The Mountain'
'Ballad Of A Thin Man'
'Like A Rolling Stone'
'All Along The Watchtower'
'Blowin In The Wind'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-20 00:26 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 19, 2011 14:33

what songs did R play on?

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:12

Amused

what songs did R play on?

Play on ? I thought someone mentioned he attended the show - as a spectator ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-21 18:36 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:36

One question: I love many Dylan albums, I like his rather rough voice, but is he in shape? I do not know if I should go and see him next week.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:40

Silver Dagger
It's still hard to accept the old bugger willfully singing out of time to his originals - his phrasing sometimes doesn't even fit in with his vastly re-imagined tales on his classics.

Ringo Starr said in a ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE 40th anniversary special issue: "You go to Bob's gig and you get what Bob wants to give you. Some days he gives you a very clear Bob, and some days he gives you a Bob that doesn't want you to understand what he's saying... I went backstage to say 'hi.' He asked me, 'Is there anything you want to hear?' I said, 'Yeah. "Maggie's Farm."' And the band cracked up, because they'd done it already."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 18:42 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:55

windmelody
One question: I love many Dylan albums, I like his rather rough voice, but is he in shape? I do not know if I should go and see him next week.

Certainly you should go. You go see Bob just as you would see the ancient ruins in Rome - you are just glad he's still there to see. Dylan audiences tend (need) to be very sympathetic.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 19, 2011 22:06

Shawn20
windmelody

Certainly you should go. You go see Bob just as you would see the ancient ruins in Rome - you are just glad he's still there to see. Dylan audiences tend (need) to be very sympathetic.

Thankyou Shawn. I would like to go but I certainly do not need a concert on level the Stones played on in 2007. I have sympathy for Dylan, maybe somebody who saw him in Cork or London can help me.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 20, 2011 00:14

windmelody

...listen to this song and go to the concert!

Date: June 20, 2011 00:33

Shawn20
windmelody

Agree completely. You should go but don't expect too much and you may enjoy it. The frustrating thing is that he can switch it on and off at will. On some songs his singing is coherent but others his delivery is maddeningly not in time with the rhythm of the song.

I guess it's his punk way of addressing his own back pages and not conforming to being a cabaret act like many of his contemporaries.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 20, 2011 00:44

He was great on Saturday. I would go again.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 20, 2011 03:45

Silver Dagger
Shawn20
windmelody

Agree completely. You should go but don't expect too much and you may enjoy it. The frustrating thing is that he can switch it on and off at will. On some songs his singing is coherent but others his delivery is maddeningly not in time with the rhythm of the song.

I guess it's his punk way of addressing his own back pages and not conforming to being a cabaret act like many of his contemporaries.
How is singing in a coherent,understandable, in tune manner a cabaret act,as opposed to just putting on a bad show?

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: June 20, 2011 04:12

This guy doesn't take off three years in between tours. He basically stays on the road. Two and three month breaks don't really count. I've seen him nine times and loved most of them. I wish he'd get off the piano sometimes, but I love the twisted versions. You can't really expect him to keep doing the recorded versions of the songs night after night after night. He's gotta keep it interesting for himself, which, in my opinion, makes it much more interesting. It's like he's writing a new song many times. I saw him perform "Workingman's Blues #2" in Cincinatti a few years ago. He started the second verse, and I thought, "Oh no, he's forgetten the words." He may have, but he sang a whole new second verse, which was every bit as good as the recorded one, if not better. It even rhymed. I don't get the sympathy for Bob comments. Everytime I see him, I'm far to impressed to be sympathetic.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: June 20, 2011 04:35

The concept that Dylan's audiences need to be sympathetic is absurd. The guy is a genius and his band is amazing.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 20, 2011 04:37

I remember him like this....................

Date: June 20, 2011 06:01

He's still on...

Hoping for a show in the vicinity later this year... saw him last year and he's still got the goods...Charlie Sexton back in the band too

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 20, 2011 08:35

Silver Dagger
Yes, not bad show. Was there as was Gazza and Adrian. And incredible version of Highway 61. It's still hard to accept the old bugger willfully singing out of time to his originals - his phrasing sometimes doesn't even fit in with his vastly re-imagined takes on his classics. But hey, when you're in the presence of greatness every nugget tossed is a gem.

Here's the setlist.

'Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking'
'It's All Over Now Baby, Baby Blue'
'Things Have Changed'
'Tangled Up In Blue'
'Summer Days'
'Simple Twist Of Fate'
'Cold Irons Bound'
'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall'
'Highway 61 Revisited'
'Forgetful Heart'
'Thunder On The Mountain'
'Ballad Of A Thin Man'
'Like A Rolling Stone'
'All Along The Watchtower'
'Blowin In The Wind'

3 songs from H61R makes a great show..thumbs up

Date: June 20, 2011 17:10

vermontoffender
The concept that Dylan's audiences need to be sympathetic is absurd. The guy is a genius and his band is amazing.

I would agree that Dylan is a genius and his band is amazing. His concerts are mixed bags - I have seen him (New Orleans 91) where he didn't even try. Other shows have been much better. The voice is long gone and he cannot begin to replicate the sounds of the original recordings. Those records and arrangements are classic - so don't tell me about the evolving sound. I will go see him and I will love the show - but it does require a sympathetic ear. I know casual Dylan fans who have seen him once and would NEVER return.

Date: June 20, 2011 17:24

Shawn20
vermontoffender

I would agree that Dylan is a genius and his band is amazing. His concerts are mixed bags - I have seen him (New Orleans 91) where he didn't even try. Other shows have been much better. The voice is long gone and he cannot begin to replicate the sounds of the original recordings. Those records and arrangements are classic - so don't tell me about the evolving sound. I will go see him and I will love the show - but it does require a sympathetic ear. I know casual Dylan fans who have seen him once and would NEVER return.

Good point. I think even if you are a great fan of any artiste you need to keep a critical ear and eye open. There's no disputing that Dylan is a genius - quite possibly the greatest single musician of the 20th century - and his band are truly great. But that doesn't make his current singing style good. It is hard work but if you like that kind of thing then all well and good.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 20, 2011 17:27

Curious: What's the Bob charging for a ticket nowadays? tia

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 20, 2011 17:54

I've seen Bob several times over the years, including the reunion tour with the Band, the Rolling Thunder review, and the comeback tour with Joni Mitchell in '98.

The last couple of times I saw him he was dreadful. The mix was terrible, his voice was nonexistent and just about inaudible, and he failed to enunciate anything. Knowing the words, I still couldn't follow what he was saying.

I don't mind the failure to address the audience. I understand that he can't play much guitar any more. I understand the desire to reinvent his songs. I worship at his feet. But the high quality of his band didn't make up for his inability to sing. At all. Despite my love for Bob, I won't go back.

If you've never seen him and want to be in the room with him, or want to listen to a great band, go. But you have to suspend critical sensibilities and have a very sympathetic ear to enjoy it as a concert.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 20, 2011 18:06

I Agree Bam with all you said. You feel as if you are an unwanted voyeur in the audience not needed nor wanted, he won't play guitar at all even tho many are in stand behind him he stands behind the organ a block that maintains distance and it was not a pleasant exp. for me last and I won't go back again, tho I love the songbook very much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-20 18:08 by tumbled.

Date: June 20, 2011 19:30

KSIE
Curious: What's the Bob charging for a ticket nowadays? tia

In Pensacola the prices are $68 and $48. That's a value for Dylan and Leon Russell. (A couple of numbers from Leon) I hope he does Jumping Jack Flash.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 20, 2011 19:39

Extract below from a review of the festival I just read in the freebie evening newspaper. He's treated like a loveable old rascal who's earned the right to get away with anything! I can't see the Stones ever being looked upon the same way - they already can't do anything right for some... :-)

Bob Dylan saves London Feis with his majestic set

By John Aizlewood
20 Jun 2011

...And speaking of things unchanged, 1994's headliner Bob Dylan headlined again on Saturday. At 70, his voice is a gnarly rasp but he remains as mercurially mischievous as a teenager. Those expecting hits would have been delighted by a set list including Blowin' In The Wind and A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall. Yet, the scamp turned his familiar material inside out.

At one fabulously contrary moment, the crowd hollered Like A Rolling Stone's original chorus, while Dylan sang the same words to a different tune. All Along The Watchtower had a jazzy rumble and a majestic Tangled Up In Blue moved more slowly than N5 traffic. Frankly, it's hard to imagine a more unsuitable, more inappropriate set for a sodden audience of Dylan agnostics. It was fantastic.

[www.thisislondon.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home