Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Miss You - what was your reaction in 1978?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:30

A little OT here but watched "The Boston Strangler" movie last weekend.

Seems like Son Of Sam might have been subject material for the band around the time of Some Girls - after all, "Too Much Blood" was looming.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:46

From4tilLate
Five little words: The Ethel Merman Disco Album. Case dismissed.

How is that? The whole genre is dismissed because some strange performer tried to cash in on a fad? There were PLENTY of bad Beatle rip off albums. Hell, William Shatner has a whole side career. I remember strolling down a supermarket aisle in Atlanta years ago and hearing 'Paint It Black' on Muzak. Now that was wrong.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:24

Gazza
I'm at a loss as to how any Stones fan who had heard 'Black and Blue' would have been dumbstruck or outraged by 'Miss You'....

Hadn't heard 'Black and Blue'.

I remember knowing 'Honky Tonk Women' at that time.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 28, 2011 19:49

Thricenay
I took a little convincing at first, but that may be because of my age. (I was 13, and not much of a disco fan, and even though I was fascinated by the Stones,
You?

In 1978 I was more into "punk" music than disco music .

It took a while before I enjoyed "Miss You" but since then,I do like it -both the lyrics & rythm .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: June 28, 2011 21:14

24FPS
From4tilLate

How is that? The whole genre is dismissed because some strange performer tried to cash in on a fad? There were PLENTY of bad Beatle rip off albums. Hell, William Shatner has a whole side career. I remember strolling down a supermarket aisle in Atlanta years ago and hearing 'Paint It Black' on Muzak. Now that was wrong.

Did you live through disco?

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: June 28, 2011 23:01

I remember one of my GF at the time was a PR, and she was upset when we first listened to it together...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 28, 2011 23:06

Gazza
I'm at a loss as to how any Stones fan who had heard 'Black and Blue' would have been dumbstruck or outraged by 'Miss You'....

Exactly.

I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it on the radio. Ian McLagan's signature sound opening the song...it was fresh, and Jaggers cheeky lines about Puerto Rican girls shook off all the cobwebs that had grown around the band since Exile.

Buying the 45 a little while later was a thrill...here was a PICTURE SLEEVE!! The punk/new wave scene was really responsible for bringing them back, and as a Stones collector with a vinyl fetish it made the record even more precious. And Far Away Eyes was brilliant...here was Mick being funny again. All that "the Stones are old/establishment/finished" crap from the Sex Pistols the previous year was just washed away.
-
The night the L.A.rock radio stations--KMET and KLOS-- got the Some Girls album, they were playing all the tracks, all night long. I listened to it while driving to the Santa Monica Civic to see Tom Petty (who had just released his second album ) and David Johansen (who just put out his first solo LP). Then I listened to it some more on the radio while driving to a late show at the Whiskey to see Rockpile (with Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds )! One of the most memorable rock n' roll nights of my life...

When the Some Girls album came out, there would be variations of color in the copies available at the store. Of course the first run had all the "banned" photos with celebs like Lucy and Raquel Welsh, who threatened legal action. It was the best Stones cover since Sticky Fingers, and it was totally ruined when they blocked those pics. It would be nice if they could now obtain releases and put the reissue out with the original sleeve.

I had to get used to the album version of "Miss You" that contained the sax solo. Initially, it seemed sort of grafted on, like an obvious overdub. Now I'm used to it.

Frankly, I never liked the video. Mick's clothes looked pretty dorky.

But as far as the "Stones going disco" that was never a problem, because it had already been done ("Hot Stuff" ) and they made it part of their sound. Unlike Rod's copycat record, "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," where he just jumped into the abyss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-29 03:27 by loog droog.

Date: June 29, 2011 00:35

From4tilLate
24FPS
From4tilLate

Did you live through disco?

Yes, I lived through Disco. At first I was resistant, and then I thought about it: Rock and Roll had been serious for way too long. Music was fun before Vietnam. Well, Vietnam was over. Rock and Roll, until Vietnam, was about kids dancing. I remember going to pool parties in the mid-60s and dancing with the girls to pop music. Some of my male friends were shy and tried to pass it off ass unmanly, but I just looked at their sad sack faces, and then to the cute girls who wanted to dance, and made my decision.

I was real tired of corporate FM radio of the 1970s. I never have to hear 'Life In The Fast Lane', 'Freebird', or the Doobie Brothers 'Black Water' in this lifetime again. Besides, I was interested in women, and women weren't going to bars to listen to 'Dust In The Wind'. They dressed up and went to bars to dance. They got out there and shook their young booties to 'Superfreak' and 'Tear The Roof Off The Sucka'. A little later they dug Steely Dan's 'Aja' album. If you wanted the women, at least the attractive ones, you had to take a bath, put on some clean, non-Levis and T-Shirt clothes, and get out there and ask them to dance. Just like guys have always done. I remember tons of guys who grew their hair long for one reason, the girls liked it.

And it's not like Disco pushed all music aside. You could hear all the Marshall Tucker you could stomach. I have always listened to different kinds of music. Disco had some great songs, and it had a lot of crap. Just like Rock and Roll. Just like the Stones. I don't see how 'Miss You' was any more insincere, or trendy, or effeminate, or whatever problem people have with it, than something like 'Dandelion', another Stones classic.

Besides, Disco came and conquered, and then had the good grace to disappear, unlike Hip Hop. New Wave came and went. So did Ska. So did Rock and Roll if anyone cares to notice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-29 03:54 by 24FPS.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 00:47

Disco just became integrated into various kinds of music that would dominate to this day. It was watered down for house, incorporated into R&B.....it's still here. The myth that disco died is a wishful thinking delusion for many "rock" fans.
How can anyones listen to modern dance and think disco died? Its on the radio in various forms. In fact, its probably one of the more diverse and enduring genres of music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 29, 2011 03:45

stupidguy2
Disco just became integrated into various kinds of music that would dominate to this day. It was watered down for house, incorporated into R&B.....it's still here. The myth that disco died is a wishful thinking delusion for many "rock" fans.
How can anyones listen to modern dance and think disco died? Its on the radio in various forms. In fact, its probably one of the more diverse and enduring genres of music.

Like all music, Disco has bad and good songs.
ie,
Miss You, GOOD!
In the Navy, BAD!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 03:55

Simply stated , I was appalled

Ugh!

Date: June 29, 2011 03:55

treaclefingers
stupidguy2

Like all music, Disco has bad and good songs.
ie,
Miss You, GOOD!
In the Navy, BAD!
thumbs up

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: June 29, 2011 04:26

I grew up in a small town in Kentucky and I remember hearing "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer on AM radio every day driving to school and to work, because we only had one AM station to listen to that came in clearly that wasn't country. Not only did disco suck, but you haven't lived until you've heard in on AM radio in a '74 Ford Maverick. The only choice was to shut the damn thing off and then I would be left with only the voices in my head.

Of course there were some good songs. "Freak Out" was good, "Get Off" by Foxy is a forgotten classic. "Disco Inferno". But I beg to differ about "Funky Town". I hated that song's guts and still do.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 29, 2011 14:45

I was 15 and had no real interest in music. Top Of The Pops on TV in the background and suddenly the world was a different place and full of new posibilities....

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home