Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Miss You - what was your reaction in 1978?
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 17, 2011 12:14

I loved it. And I still think it's marvelous. Like the whole album (except Lies, which I quickly grew tired of).

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 17, 2011 13:58

I hated the idea of them doing a disco number. Mainly because, for a while there, that's all you heard. It was a pretty dismal time as far as music goes. You couldn't get away from it. I thought the whole album was too trendy.

The song is better live, though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:10

I thought it was an excellent song then, and I like it even more since. I dont see it as a 'disco song' per se. And for me, its probably Bill Wyman's finest moment on a Stones record. The middle-eight still gets me to this day. After I bought the record, I used to love sitting in the dark and listening to it. Brilliantly atmospheric.

Saying that, its the one song that I really wish theyd retire from their live shows as its been rank since '89 (apart from a few stripped down versions on the Licks tour)

Now if you'd asked what was my reaction when two years later I heard the opening verse of 'Emotional Rescue' on the radio for the first time.....

eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-17 15:14 by Gazza.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:11

I was a disco "hater" when MissYou was released but I loved that song. I like the sound of the guitars and Bill Wyman's bass part is quite a driving force in the tune. The cover of the 45T was cool too. I got lot of crap from my rock and roll friends for admitting digging MY;that's allright one has to stand up for what one likes even if it's politically incorrect.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:14

It was (like all of Some Girls) the sound of a band following trends instead of starting them...

Having said that I don't hate it (& didn't hate it when I first heard it as a 15 year old in 1978 either), though I prefer Emotional Rescue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-17 15:15 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: shatteredlicks ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:22

Loved the song when it was released and still love it today, but I cannot stand
the song in concert. I have yet to hear a live version that comes any way near the studio cut.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:27

Gazza

Now if you'd asked what was my reaction when two years later I heard the opening verse of 'Emotional Rescue' on the radio for the first time.....

eye popping smiley

LOL. A friend of mine, who heard it before I did, warned me that Mick "sounds like Leo Sayer", but even this did not prepare me for the horror, though there have been one or two times I heard it when I was extremely drunk and/or coked up and thought "That sounds pretty good!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-17 15:27 by tatters.

Date: June 17, 2011 15:32

tatters
Gazza

eye popping smiley

LOL. A friend of mine, who heard it before I did, warned me that Mick "sounds like Leo Sayer", but even this did not prepare me for the horror, though there have been one or two times I heard it when I was extremely drunk and/or coked up and thought "That sounds pretty good!"

'It's like the f***ing Bee Gees' was what one disgusted mate of mine who'd already heard it said - he pretty much spat the words out in disgust.

I thought it was a dreadful choice for a first single (which was proven correct as it charted lower than any lead single had done to that point, I think) and couldnt stand it. To this day I still find that 'knight in shining armour' bit extremely creepy. In fairness, as time has went on, I've been able to appreciate it more - the music anyway. Especially that bit at the end. Terrific bassline from Woody and a marvellous sax solo. Still a weak single, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-17 15:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:40

Gazza
tatters
Gazza

eye popping smiley

'It's like the f***ing Bee Gees' was what one disgusted mate of mine who'd already heard it spat in disgust.

I thought it was a dreadful choice for a first single (which was proven correct as it charted lower than any lead single had done to that point, I think) and couldnt stand it. To this day I still find that 'knight in shining armour' bit extremely creepy. In fairness, as time has went on, I've been able to appreciate it more musically at least. Especially that bit at the end. Terrific bassline from Woody and a marvellous sax solo. Still a weak single, though.

Unlike Miss You, it has never grown on me. Big hit in the states, though. Went to #3. It's their biggest hit never to have been played live. Biggest hit in the last 30 years, except for Start Me Up.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:40

Gazza
tatters
Gazza

eye popping smiley

'It's like the f***ing Bee Gees' was what one disgusted mate of mine who'd already heard it said - he pretty much spat the words out in disgust.

I thought it was a dreadful choice for a first single (which was proven correct as it charted lower than any lead single had done to that point, I think) and couldnt stand it. To this day I still find that 'knight in shining armour' bit extremely creepy. In fairness, as time has went on, I've been able to appreciate it more - the music anyway. Especially that bit at the end. Terrific bassline from Woody and a marvellous sax solo. Still a weak single, though.

Emotional Rescue got to number 9; It's Only Rock 'n' Roll only got to number 10.

Posted by: shatteredlicks ()
Date: June 17, 2011 16:03

Loved it in '78 and still love it today when it comes on the radio,but it is one of the Stones songs I cannot stand in concert. I don't know why, but it never comes across like the studio version.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 17, 2011 17:19

Thought that it sounded very good live on the VL tour but not since that time.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 17, 2011 17:30

Loved Miss you (& Faraway eyes) on first hearing but on enquiring the price of the 12" single in HMV thought, "I'm not paying £2 for a single even if it is pink"............angry smiley .........but a couple of weeks ago paid £10 for one on Ebay.........cool smiley.........best live version for me was San Diego '98...........

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-17 17:50 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 17, 2011 23:09

Nikolai
Loved it. It made me a fan. The first Stones record I ever bought. Look at me now. grinning smiley

Me too. Ironic given it's thought to be such an 'un-Stones' release. But it brought them a whole new wave of fans.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: June 18, 2011 00:07

i was 15 yrs old riding in the backseat of my dad's car,driving thru Atlanta on the way to Florida, for a family vacation when I heard it first over the radio. The highlight of the trip.
i'm also like a previous poster, i don't care for it in concert...i also haven't heard a live version to compare to the studio track

Date: June 18, 2011 00:21

That warm sound they create especially when played on vinyl, is just marvellous. Hard to beat. Such groove. The long version keeps on growing and growing. Bill Wyman, WOW. Love it.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:14

I was fifteen in May of 1978. I initially didn't think it was a new song. I thought my fave FM station was playing a deep cut from 'Black & Blue'. I even thought that the second time I heard it. Then, after hearing it a 3rd time, I realized it must be something new. I was a big Kiss fan at the time and didn't like any music that didn't bash you over the head, so I wasn't thrilled. I grew to like it a little bit over that summer (you could NOT get away from that song that summer!) but only a little. You must understand that hating disco was a religion. Liking a disco song, no matter who did it, was treason somehow.

I did buy Some Girls later that year, and donated it to my art class collection. I wish I'd kept it, because it was the original cover. I remember trying to like the album, but I just didn't get it. It took me years to come around. Then again, it took me years to become aware that vomiting blood was not a component of great bass-playing.

Tommy

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:27

I loved it when I first heard it in context of the whole album.
In concert, I enjoyed it some at first, and later came to dread it as the crowd singalong.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:36

I never liked it. I think it was the bass parts that ruined it for me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2011 06:30

There are some great versions of Miss You on the Hamptons 81, and the '82 Wembley DVD boots. Bill just holds the whole thing together. I also like Miss You for the rednecks it pisses off. Those idiots in Chicago that blew up the records in the infamous 'Disco Sucks' riot come to mind. Some people just can't accept the Stones unless they're playing within a very narrow range of guitar-rock. I thought it was brilliant of the Stones to reflect their times with Miss You while still infusing it with blues harp and crunchy guitar licks. That's the Stones at their best, bending current music genres through the Stones prism. They are a pop band at their base. The 1968-72 period was just one of many for them. You could even say they were just reflecting what was going on then.

Date: June 28, 2011 07:01

Those Disco Sucks people may or may not have been idiots as you say, but it serves to illustrate how many music fans hated the stuff. They say that if you remember the '60s, you weren't there. To that I would add that if you're nostalgic for the '70s, you weren't there either. Disco truly did suck. It was almost all you heard on the radio back then. It inspired that hate like no music form ever has.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2011 07:21

There was some fantastic Disco music. Funkytown is as great a production as Bohemian Rhapsody or Good Vibrations. Hey Negrita and Hot Stuff are disco influenced. Mick has called the Stones a dance band before. Chic was a great band, with Freak Out a classic. Disco Inferno is great black R&B. Dazz by Brick is a straight killer. They brought musicianship back to rock.

Think of all the crap rock out in the mid-to late 70s. It's not like Disco was pushing good music off the radio. (See Muskrat Love). I can always get some women up dancing with a couple drinks and a good disco compilation. They don't do shit for Kansas.

Date: June 28, 2011 07:30

Five little words: The Ethel Merman Disco Album. Case dismissed.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: June 28, 2011 08:36

it was huge - huge sound I will never forget how big it sounded on the radio - miss those days I was 15 and in a band

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 28, 2011 16:28

rollmops
I was a disco "hater" when MissYou was released but I loved that song. I like the sound of the guitars and Bill Wyman's bass part is quite a driving force in the tune. The cover of the 45T was cool too. I got lot of crap from my rock and roll friends for admitting digging MY;that's allright one has to stand up for what one likes even if it's politically incorrect.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Agree 100%. It finally knocked "Shadow Dancing" off of the Number One spot in August 1978.

A little burned out on it now though.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2011 16:48

My first exposure was to see the video on TV, on Casey Kasem's show, or something like that.

I was 13, a pre-stones fan, and the site of Mick preening and wiggling was a little creepy.

So, consequently, didn't like the song. Two years later, Emotional Rescue (the song), was even worse...."I will be your knight in shining armour..."

A bit of a joke really....still not a stones fan.

Then, late one night listening to my clock radio, I heard the opening riff to She's So Cold. I was sold then and there and have never looked back.

Oh, and love both songs now, MY and ER...they are good and a nice variation from the catalogue.

Date: June 28, 2011 17:58

Great song. I first heard it as a teen on my tiny Sony transistor radio on late night AM radio (WABC I think). For me it seemed to sum up the whole concept of New York city is Mecca- hey the Stones are writing and singing songs about NYC so it must be cooler than London, Paris or LA. Love the lyrics and Jagger's singing. although I agree that some of the recent live versions from 1989 on are not as wonderful.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:13

Loved it...

The DJ at the Disco I used to go (for reasons that had nothing to do with Disco music), knowing I was a big Stones fan played it for me late in the evening (or early morning as you prefer), and I felt pretty good thinking that "WE" invaded the disco world. I still find it funny.

BTW, today I can do with out at the concerts.

Posted by: wandlimb ()
Date: June 28, 2011 18:18

I didn't like it, and was disappointed that the Stones had bowed to disco -- although acknowledged that they always had chased a good trend. I thought it was more of the same of what was on Black and Blue, their previous album, and was afraid the album was going to be like that. (I like Black and Blue, but it's as much for nostalgia as the music.)

No doubt, the Stones did disco better and more authentically than anyone out there. Eventually, I convinced myself to like it, but that only lasted while the song was out. Now it comes on and I turn it down.

When people say they started liking the Stones when "Miss You" came out, I roll my eyes.

Karla

Date: June 28, 2011 18:19

I'm at a loss as to how any Stones fan who had heard 'Black and Blue' would have been dumbstruck or outraged by 'Miss You'....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1492
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home