Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

VL Pic Question
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 11:56

Hi all,

Quick query on a picture - the pic of the lads in black suits, with huge floppy black hats (Halloween?) - was that the Voodoo era? Does anyone know the back story, why such hats were sported?^

Re: VL Pic Question
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 9, 2015 12:43

Yep; VL.
Anton Corbijn (the photographer) talked tem into it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 9, 2015 13:10

[Twitter.com]

Anton Corbijn’s 1995 Photo of the Band in Budapest: [www.nytimes.com]

"Mr. Corbijn said that when he shot the Stones around the “Voodoo Lounge” tour in the mid-1990s, he was trying to recapture them “looking dangerous and a bit weird,” as they had in the ’60s and ’70s. "I was trying to get some of that back, so you are questioning what is happening here” said Mr. Corbijn, who had photographed the band wearing masks in 1994. “I did not want to take the safe route.” To that end, Mr. Corbijn traveled to Hungary in 1995 to do a photo shoot with some unusual props. He wanted the Stones to don tall stovepipe hats that were a cross between what Dr. Seuss’s “The Cat in the Hat” and a warlock would wear. "I turned up in Budapest with these hats, and Mick said ‘No way’ ", he recalled, explaining that Mr. Jagger then told him that if the Stones’ drummer, Charlie Watts, would wear one, he would as well. Mr. Watts soon agreed, and the shoot was on — but only after Mr. Corbijn tricked him into believing Mr. Jagger had already signed off on the hats."
[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 11:20 by Irix.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 9, 2015 13:26

Another one of Anton Corbijn's photos.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 9, 2015 13:30

THE NEW YORK TIMES · 18-Jan-2015:

[ashadedviewonfashion.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 13:35 by Irix.

Date: July 9, 2015 17:30

These pics of the Stones in the masks and floppy hats are some of my favorites of them from the Voodoo Lounge time period.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 18:18

Thanks so much for the information guys; I agree they are some of my favourites from the VL era also.

There are a few more in the masks that are good also; google images will have them.

There are some very cool pictures of them on a lounge (voodoo lounge^) - Mick wearing a red blazer; I wonder if anyone has a few of those besides the main promotional copy?

PS The pictures in the masks; were they taken in Bulgaria also?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 18:20 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 9, 2015 18:30

Always loved these kind of photos. There was some real artsy stuff from Babylon too. Wish there was more like this circulating. When I see/buy new books I always rush to see if there are any interesting recent pictures. Thanks for posting these in hi-res guys.

Date: July 9, 2015 18:35

IrelandCalling4

PS The pictures in the masks; were they taken in Bulgaria also?

confused smiley .... Budapest is the Capital of Hungary - the Stones played there on August 8, 1995 and July 20, 2007.

The Photo with the Masks was taken 1994 in Toronto: [www.dagjeweg.nl] (Fotomuseum Den Haag, 2015).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 18:55 by Irix.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 9, 2015 19:34

among all the would've could've should've attached to voodoo lounge[the songs from wandering spirit and main offender that belong on it,the outtakes that should have been used that were better than the ones released etc]-the most obvious is that the picture of the band in the masks should have been the cd cover.

they had it-the songs,the artwork,the momentum...and they just blew it.a great tour with the band on fire most every night but the voodoo lounge cd debacle proved that the stones offstage never recovered from the mick and keith falling out.

if there was one moment in time they could have put it all back together 94-95 was it.in the 20 years since we've gotten two crap albums that were half hearted at best and they realized putting out nothing was better than releasing subpar music.

but yeah,the great songs wasted on solo records,a few outtakes difference and a cover using that mask picture and you have another classic stones record. they also released it during the lion king craze making it come in at number 2 on the charts to the lion king soundtrack if they waited anothet week or so it would've debuted at no.1......what a missed chance,what a shame.

Date: July 9, 2015 22:41

lem motlow
among all the would've could've should've attached to voodoo lounge[the songs from wandering spirit and main offender that belong on it,the outtakes that should have been used that were better than the ones released etc]-the most obvious is that the picture of the band in the masks should have been the cd cover.

they had it-the songs,the artwork,the momentum...and they just blew it.a great tour with the band on fire most every night but the voodoo lounge cd debacle proved that the stones offstage never recovered from the mick and keith falling out.

if there was one moment in time they could have put it all back together 94-95 was it.in the 20 years since we've gotten two crap albums that were half hearted at best and they realized putting out nothing was better than releasing subpar music.

but yeah,the great songs wasted on solo records,a few outtakes difference and a cover using that mask picture and you have another classic stones record. they also released it during the lion king craze making it come in at number 2 on the charts to the lion king soundtrack if they waited anothet week or so it would've debuted at no.1......what a missed chance,what a shame.

I'm sure statements like that are what encourage Mick to go down to the studo in his free-time to try making the next 'Start Me Up' or 'Satisfaction'...or even 'Dirty Work', for that matter...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 9, 2015 22:52

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

I'm sure statements like that are what encourage Mick to go down to the studo in his free-time to try making the next 'Start Me Up' or 'Satisfaction'...or even 'Dirty Work', for that matter...

that's the problem-he tried to make the next "satisfaction" or "start me up" and ended up with "dirty work".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home