Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:Clarence Clemons Suffers Stroke
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 13, 2011 06:07

Get well big man.

A source close to Clarence Clemons has confirmed that he has suffered a stroke. The source, who offered the information on the condition of not being identified, did not know how serious the stroke was.

Veteran entertainment journalist Roger Friedman wrote, on the web site showbiz411.com that the beloved saxophonist, known as the Big Man, had suffered a stroke at his Florida home, and is "seriously ill."

Clemons is an original member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, and the oldest member of the band, at 69. He is someone whose importance to the New Jersey music scene can't be overstated, and who is utterly irreplaceable.

His big, immediately recognizable, saxophone sound is one of the cornerstones of the E Street sound. Songs such as "Born to Run" and "Jungleland" wouldn't have sounded remotely the same without him, and his larger-than-life personality has always made him a crucial element of the band's stage shows.

Springsteen even gave him a crucial role in the autobiographical song "Tenth Avenue Freeze-out," singing, about the moment when it all changed for the E Street Band: "When the change was made uptown and the Big Man joined the band/From the coastline to the city all the little pretties raise their hands."

Although the E Street Band is currently on hiatus, Clemons has been in the news, lately, after performing on Lady Gaga's new album, "Born This Way."

He was also the subject of a documentary, "Who Do I Think I Am? A Portrait of a Journey," that premiered at the Garden State Film Festival in Asbury Park, in April.

The film documented traveling that Clemons had done, in China, after Springsteen's "Rising Tour" of 2002-03. “I was kind of looking for myself,” Clemons told The Star-Ledger, in March. “The tour with Bruce was just so long: It took me out of my body, it took me out of myself. And finding who I am was what this (trip) turned into.”

He was still, at the time, undergoing "major, major rehab," he said, from the knee replacement and spinal surgeries he has undergone over the last few years, but was hopeful that the band would tour again in 2012.

He also published a memoir, "Big Man: Real Life and Tall Tales," in 2009.
[www.nj.com]

Re: OT:Clarence Clemons Suffers Stroke
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2011 06:27

Sad news indeed. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 13, 2011 06:34

Get well big man, the E Street Band can never be the same without you.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 13, 2011 09:41

Get well Clarence. love your solo album Peacemaker( or peacekeeper, im not sure).
lots og health.
byeee
jeroen

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 13, 2011 09:49

Wish The Big Man a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 10:38

The best wishes to you Big Man. Get well, te sooner the better!

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 13, 2011 11:06

Get well soon!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 13, 2011 11:19

Up your feet very soon.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: June 13, 2011 11:32

Hang on, C!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 13, 2011 13:53

oh but that's bad news. it would mean an end to the E-Street band

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 13, 2011 14:41

Not necessarily, but it hard to imagine them without him.

Bad news when it seemed he was getting his health back.

A real gent. Get well soon, Big Man.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 13, 2011 14:44

Terrible news. Best wishes to the Big Man for a healthy recovery...

I can't imagine the E - Street band going on without him.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: June 13, 2011 17:14

be strong, Big Man!

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: June 13, 2011 17:40

God Bless you Big Man .Our prayers are with you.

Date: June 13, 2011 17:42

Erik_Snow
A little early to speculate on that. But with runours of a Springsteen tour next year. Certainly puts those plans in jeopardy. But,most importantly get well C.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 13, 2011 17:49

sweetcharmedlife
Erik_Snow
A little early to speculate on that. But with runours of a Springsteen tour next year. Certainly puts those plans in jeopardy. But,most importantly get well C.
oh yes, a little early; I was just thinking out loud

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: June 13, 2011 18:47

Please get over it Big Man! Get well soon my friend.

Date: June 13, 2011 19:25

An update from Backstreets:
"MIRACLES ARE HAPPENING"
The latest out of Florida has Clarence Clemons in better condition than anyone expected, a close friend tells Backstreets: "Yesterday, it did not look good at all. Today... miracles are happening. His vital signs are improving. He's responsive. His eyes are welling up when we're talking to him. He was paralyzed on his left side, but now he's squeezing with his left hand. This is the best news we've heard since [the stroke] happened — it's nothing short of miraculous. The next five days will still be critical. But he's a fighter."

Please join us in continuing to send prayers, love, and light to the Big Man.
- June 13, 2011

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 13, 2011 19:51

sweetcharmedlife
An update from Backstreets:
"MIRACLES ARE HAPPENING"
The latest out of Florida has Clarence Clemons in better condition than anyone expected, a close friend tells Backstreets: "Yesterday, it did not look good at all. Today... miracles are happening. His vital signs are improving. He's responsive. His eyes are welling up when we're talking to him. He was paralyzed on his left side, but now he's squeezing with his left hand. This is the best news we've heard since [the stroke] happened — it's nothing short of miraculous. The next five days will still be critical. But he's a fighter."

Please join us in continuing to send prayers, love, and light to the Big Man.
- June 13, 2011

Thanks for posting this. Good to hear that he seems to be doing well, although certainly not out of the woods yet.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 13, 2011 19:54

Hope he continues to recover. Praying for ya, Big Man!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 14, 2011 00:42

Get well soon, Big Man.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 15, 2011 01:01

The latest:

STATEMENT FROM BRUCE
This just in from brucespringsteen.net:

By now, many of you have heard that our beloved comrade and sax player Clarence Clemons has sufferred a serious stroke. While all initial signs are encouraging, Clarence will need much care and support to achieve his potential once again. He has his wonderfully supportive wife, Victoria, excellent doctors and health care professionals, and is surrounded by friends and family.

I thank you all for your prayers and positive energy and concern. This is a time for us all to share in a hopeful spirit that can ultimately inspire Clarence to greater heights.

-- Bruce Springsteen

From Clarence's family
Dot-net also brings welcome news for all those wondering how to send well-wishes to the Big Man: "Clarence's family appreciates your concern and wants to let you know that you can send him your wishes via e-mail to [email protected]"
- June 14, 2011

MAY YOUR HOPE GIVE US HOPE
The mood at the hospital today is "upbeat," a close friend of Clarence Clemons tells Backstreets. "It's sort of status quo right now, but the status quo is good. We're amazed — the doctors are amazed at the advances he's made. Bear in mind, he's still machine-assisted. But his vital signs continue to improve, and the goal is to wean him off each machine as he gets stronger."

No matter what, despite Clarence doing better than anyone expected, "It's going to be a long haul. There's a lot he'll have to relearn. But we're hopeful for a full recovery. We don't yet know if it's possible, but the movement and responsiveness on his left side is a good sign. More than anything, we want people to know how much we appreciate their prayers, all the fans keeping Clarence in their thoughts. It's coming in from all ends of the earth. And right now, those prayers are coming true."
- June 14, 2011

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 15, 2011 18:59

An update on the Big Man

[www.thehollywoodgossip.com]

”Clarence’s family appreciates your concern and wants to let you know that you can send him your wishes via e-mail to notestoclarence@clarenceclemons.com."

Read more celebrity gossip at: [www.thehollywoodgossip.com]

Date: June 15, 2011 19:17

When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 15, 2011 20:04

Holy Spirit heal the Big Man.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:12

................... Herald Sun 16 June 2011

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:38

power

Date: June 17, 2011 08:03

Home Bergen Big Man's stroke keeps Springsteen from visiting Wyckoff school, but Macie understands
Big Man's stroke keeps Springsteen from visiting Wyckoff school, but Macie understands
Thursday, 16 June 2011 05:27 Jerry DeMarco
EXCLUSIVE: In the wake of Clarence Clemons's stroke came word from Bruce Springsteen's manager to Macie, the 11-year-old 5th-grader from Wyckoff, that the Boss won't be able to come to the Sicomac School to meet her teacher, as the youngster had hoped. But she understands. "Bruce would want to be with his BFF," Macie told CLIFFVIEW PILOT through her mom.

The Big Man, Macie, the Boss"I received an email from his Managers' office saying that [Springsteen] would not be able to make it because he would be by Clarence's side for quite some time," Beth Sparozic told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. "Macie was a little disappointed but understands."

She's not giving up, however, on her wish to have Springsteen meet her teacher, Gail Cordello, a huge fan of the Boss who, Macie said, teaches students that "they can make their dreams come true."

Mrs. Cordello also has Springsteen posters throughout classroom 5C and has shown her charges the rocker's videos as inspiration.

"Macie said that if he doesn't come this school year, she will ask him to come next school year," Beth Sparozic said. "She told me, 'Mom, dreams don't expire. And Mrs Cordello waited this long. She can wait until school starts again in September'."

This school year ends in exactly a week, her mother noted.

If Clemons's condition improves, "maybe [Springsteen] will still come," Sparozic told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. "I don't want to give up hope, as it is such a nice thing Macie is trying to do for her teacher."

After hearing of the sax player's condition, Macie -- who, by her count, has seen Springsteen 10 times -- sent the Big Man an email.

"I have learned many lessons while trying to get Bruce to my school, like how the communities are helping trying to get the word out," Macie wrote, in a copy pasted on a Facebook page administered by her mom. "I learned how strangers come together to help and offer nice words to me for doing something nice for my teacher. This is why I am writing to you.

"YOUR fans,including me, are really coming out and praying for you! The love that is all over these boards [is] so special. I hope when I grow up I have a friend that is so special to me like you are to Bruce.

"I hope you get better really fast. I hope I get to watch you on stage again. I love watching and hearing you play your sax. I will pray for you and I really hope you get my prayers.

"Get better soon Mr. Big Man

"Love always

Macie"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home