Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Would you love to hear the Stones play "Paint It Black" as it was recorded?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 28, 2015 19:58

I was reading about the this song recently and wondered how it would sound on stage with a sitar intro and and acoustic outro with Keith. How about Bill Wyman's bass lines? Here is a synopsis from Wiki:

The master take of "Paint It Black" was recorded on 8 March 1966, at RCA Studios in Los Angeles, with record producer Andrew Loog Oldham present throughout the process. Much of the early recorded arrangements, and keys of the track were modeled after The Animals' version of "The House of the Rising Sun", but The Rolling Stones were unsatisfied with the song, and considered scrapping it. However, while twiddling with a Hammond organ, Bill Wyman searched for a heavier bass sound, while playing the part on his knees. Wyman's playing clicked with the group, and inspired the up-tempo and Eastern penatonic melody. By all accounts, the sitar was brought into the mix when Harihar Rao happened to walk in the studio with the instrument in hand.

The sitar was featured in the opening riff, which is considered as Jones's most accomplished, and as setting the rhythm throughout the song. In his book Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones, Paul Trynka has noted that the influence of Harrison's sitar playing, and, in particular, The Beatles' song "Norwegian Wood" on the Rubber Soul album, draws parallels in "Paint It Black" - most noticeably in Jones's droning sitar melody. Jones outright denied any connection, saying it was "utter rubbish", when it was considered he was imitating The Beatles. Nonetheless, Jones sitar playing immediately became influential in developing a whole sub-genre of minor-key psychedelic music.[12] Coupled with this striking instrumental motif, it is complemented by Jagger's droning, and slight nasal vocalization. In addition, "Paint It Black" was highlighted by Wyman's heavy bass, Charlie Watts's low-pitch drumming, and Richards' bolero-driven acoustic guitar outro. Soon after, Richards noted that the conclusion of the track was over-recorded, and a different guitar could have potentially improved the song.

Re: Would you love to hear the Stones play "Paint It Black" as it was recorded?
Date: June 28, 2015 20:01

More about the lyrics:

The song's lyrics are, for the most part, meant to describe bleakness and depression through the use of color-based metaphors. Initially, "Paint It Black" was written as a typical pop arrangement, humorously compared by Mick Jagger to "Songs for Jewish weddings". The song sets the scene of a mournful partner at a funeral, similar in terms to a blues or folk number. In actuality, Jagger took inspiration from novelist James Joyce's 1922 book, Ulysses, taking the excerpt, "I have to turn my head until my darkness goes", referring to the novel's theme of a worldwide view of desperation and desolation.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:09

The Sicilian
I was reading about the this song recently and wondered how it would sound on stage with a sitar intro and and acoustic outro with Keith. How about Bill Wyman's bass lines? Here is a synopsis from Wiki:

The master take of "Paint It Black" was recorded on 8 March 1966, at RCA Studios in Los Angeles, with record producer Andrew Loog Oldham present throughout the process. Much of the early recorded arrangements, and keys of the track were modeled after The Animals' version of "The House of the Rising Sun", but The Rolling Stones were unsatisfied with the song, and considered scrapping it. However, while twiddling with a Hammond organ, Bill Wyman searched for a heavier bass sound, while playing the part on his knees. Wyman's playing clicked with the group, and inspired the up-tempo and Eastern penatonic melody. By all accounts, the sitar was brought into the mix when Harihar Rao happened to walk in the studio with the instrument in hand.

The sitar was featured in the opening riff, which is considered as Jones's most accomplished, and as setting the rhythm throughout the song. In his book Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones, Paul Trynka has noted that the influence of Harrison's sitar playing, and, in particular, The Beatles' song "Norwegian Wood" on the Rubber Soul album, draws parallels in "Paint It Black" - most noticeably in Jones's droning sitar melody. Jones outright denied any connection, saying it was "utter rubbish", when it was considered he was imitating The Beatles. Nonetheless, Jones sitar playing immediately became influential in developing a whole sub-genre of minor-key psychedelic music.[12] Coupled with this striking instrumental motif, it is complemented by Jagger's droning, and slight nasal vocalization. In addition, "Paint It Black" was highlighted by Wyman's heavy bass, Charlie Watts's low-pitch drumming, and Richards' bolero-driven acoustic guitar outro. Soon after, Richards noted that the conclusion of the track was over-recorded, and a different guitar could have potentially improved the song.

Yeah maybe...but not too often... it's nicer to hear some variety in interpretation and/or arrangement(s) or something. That's what makes a concert..
Hearing something "as it was recorded" is maybe shortly after the release of a song wanted so people can get used it a little more. But once it's there for months or a year or so you can start working on it a little more. It's work in progress in a way but not necessarily on arrangements and interpretation - when it's a tough song to play because of difficult/tricky overdubs you need to get into that too.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:14

to me this will always be a brian song.

Date: June 28, 2015 20:16

The song never had a sitar intro.

Date: June 28, 2015 20:24

DandelionPowderman

[Paint It Black sitar info]

Date: June 28, 2015 20:28

The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

It's still Keith playing the intro with electric guitar. After intro Brian comes in with his sitar...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:29

Yeah. With Bill on bass and Brian on sitar.

Date: June 28, 2015 20:31

DandelionPowderman
The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

It's still Keith playing the intro with electric guitar. After intro Brian comes in with his sitar...

I think the mistake is made because of this piece of information coming from the website link The Sicilian gave:

One of his greatest is the opening riff, and the driving rhythm, that fuels 'Paint It, Black,' the first No. 1 song to feature the sitar.

An intro is something else and that's indeed KR.

Date: June 28, 2015 21:01

Dreamer
Yeah maybe...but not too often... it's nicer to hear some variety in interpretation and/or arrangement(s) or something. That's what makes a concert..
Hearing something "as it was recorded" is maybe shortly after the release of a song wanted so people can get used it a little more. But once it's there for months or a year or so you can start working on it a little more. It's work in progress in a way but not necessarily on arrangements and interpretation - when it's a tough song to play because of difficult/tricky overdubs you need to get into that too.

The song is practically 50 years old. The Stones are finished expanding on it. This is the time to play it like the recording. Just like bringing out the chorus in YCAGWYW. Even that song could use more acoustics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 21:11 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 28, 2015 21:17

Whilst I find Paint It, Black to be a most marvellous studio-recording and one of the key mid-60's singles by any act or artist, live-wise, nah. It just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it is the atmosphere, dark-vibes and menace of the studio-take that renders the live performances as being so 'stadium rock' and, well, quite uninteresting and unexciting. Charlie's thumping introduction is always tremendous, though.

Date: June 28, 2015 21:21

The Sicilian
Dreamer

The song is practically 50 years old. The Stones are finished expanding on it. This is the time to play it like the recording. Just like bringing out the chorus in YCAGWYW. Even that song could you more acoustics.

I don't wanna mess with the Sicilian family so...sorry... I thought you meant in general.
But why should they be finished expanding it?? The song being 50 years old is not a reason not to expand it...when you feel like expanding it that's what you do. You don't check the calendar first. Being creative is really something else... Remember KR saying "it zooms in the room"...? It doesn't have a starting time in the morning and it doesn't end after a nice round number.

More acoustics?
How about this one. Sounds acoustic and/or like a sitar...but is electric version from 1990.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 29, 2015 00:05

The Sicilian
Dreamer

The song is practically 50 years old. The Stones are finished expanding on it. This is the time to play it like the recording. Just like bringing out the chorus in YCAGWYW. Even that song could use more acoustics.

Just recently they made a coda for YCAGWYW, though, but I agree in general.

Date: June 29, 2015 00:21

Dreamer
The Sicilian
Dreamer

The song is practically 50 years old. The Stones are finished expanding on it. This is the time to play it like the recording. Just like bringing out the chorus in YCAGWYW. Even that song could you more acoustics.

I don't wanna mess with the Sicilian family so...sorry... I thought you meant in general.
But why should they be finished expanding it?? The song being 50 years old is not a reason not to expand it...when you feel like expanding it that's what you do. You don't check the calendar first. Being creative is really something else... Remember KR saying "it zooms in the room"...? It doesn't have a starting time in the morning and it doesn't end after a nice round number.

More acoustics?
How about this one. Sounds acoustic and/or like a sitar...but is electric version from 1990.

[www.youtube.com]

I'll say it is one of the better versions of the song live. I actually loved it on the 1989 tour which I caught twice in Toronto. Probably their best setlists ever. But regarding the song from the video, Mick's terrible vocal impression of the earlier version kind of wrecked a wonderful attempt by Keith to lay down some fantastic melodies.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:38

What was the reason for the comma in the title? I recall Mick or Keith saying that was Decca that did it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home