Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT : Red Hot Chili Peppers new album "reminiscent of the late-Seventies Rolling Stones"
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 11, 2011 00:05

From "Rolling Stone" magazine :

"The album's first single, "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie," is a hard-pop spin on classic Chili Peppers funk, with a creeping bass line and a marching-disco rhythm in the chorus reminiscent of the late-Seventies Rolling Stones. In fact, Flea likens the rich propulsive interplay on I'm With You – the mix of jamming exploration, textural guitar details and savvy hooks in songs such as "The Monarchy of Roses," "Factory of Faith" and "Goodbye Hooray" – to the classic Stones albums like Exile on Main Street and Tattoo You that he listened to religiously as the Chili Peppers wrote and improvised on new material in 2009 and 2010. "It's about a feeling and a song." Flea says of the connection, "about everyone embracing the moment of the song, not always about the riff."

Full article here : Inside the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Comeback Album

Re: Semi OT : Red Hot Chili Peppers new album "reminiscent of the late-Seventies Rolling Stones"
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 11, 2011 00:21

thanks for posting.

i'm looking forward to hearing the new record. it should be interesting to hear what they've done with the huge void that is there as a result of Frusciante's departure. i read the album will also have some african influences, especially from Fela Kuti.

Re: Semi OT : Red Hot Chili Peppers new album "reminiscent of the late-Seventies Rolling Stones"
Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: June 11, 2011 00:35

Cool! ....so who is the Guitarist???

---------------

well I guess it would help to actually read the article. Question answered! tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-11 00:40 by lettingitbleed.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 11, 2011 00:37

Josh Klighoffer is on guitar, some keys too.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 11, 2011 00:46

Always loved this band with Frusciante, I hope this new record is good too.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 11, 2011 00:48

Not hearing it..

Date: June 11, 2011 00:59

that sounds like an old song, Bliss. Anthony sounds pretty young there! i doubt that is a new tune.

Date: June 11, 2011 01:12

yeah thats what i thought sounded like 1987 RHCP

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 11, 2011 01:14

Bliss

Not hearing it..

That's not the new single, it isn't available yet, all videos on youtube claiming it's the new song are fake.

Date: June 11, 2011 01:57

stones78
Bliss

Not hearing it..

That's not the new single, it isn't available yet, all videos on youtube claiming it's the new song are fake.

That's good...I hate it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 11, 2011 06:59

RHCP sound more like Brittany Spears than the Stones. I never liked their music.

Date: June 11, 2011 12:52

In term of popularity and longevity RHCP are one of the few bands that could claim Stones crown. They also have some classic albums...

Date: June 11, 2011 13:41

BluzDude
RHCP sound more like Brittany Spears than the Stones. I never liked their music.

huh? RHCP are even less mainstream in sound than the stones

Date: June 11, 2011 13:42

kowalski
In term of popularity and longevity RHCP are one of the few bands that could claim Stones crown. They also have some classic albums...

maybe but you have to remember the RHCP released 3-4 albums 2 ep's and toured together for close to 7 years before they broke big and had hits and sold out tours. thats like the stones not becoming popular or having a charting hit until around beggars banquet

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 13, 2011 22:34

This is good news. I liked the Chili Peppers, but they always seemed to be stuck on one groove, thier frat-boyesque Cali version of P-funk. I don't remember any Stones references before with the Peppers, so maybe this is new direction for them/
I always get excited when a band or artist I like seemingly discovers the Stones as an influence. Im wondering if this included B&B, SG and ER, certainly more "disco" than TY...
Flea played on Mick's "Out of Focus", maybe the best of Jagger solo.....

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: June 14, 2011 07:47

stupidguy2
This is good news. I liked the Chili Peppers, but they always seemed to be stuck on one groove, thier frat-boyesque Cali version of P-funk. I don't remember any Stones references before with the Peppers, so maybe this is new direction for them/
I always get excited when a band or artist I like seemingly discovers the Stones as an influence. Im wondering if this included B&B, SG and ER, certainly more "disco" than TY...
Flea played on Mick's "Out of Focus", maybe the best of Jagger solo.....

"She's only eighteen, don't like the Rolling Stones". Lyric from the Stadium Arcadium album. Anthony Kiedis said he wrote that line about his girlfriend (18?! he was bout 45 at the time) who didn't like The Rolling Stones and he was shocked. He thought everybody liked them.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 14, 2011 13:45

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is one of my most played non-stones albums. I didn't exactly care for
the albums that came after that one. Maybe Flea's playing with Ronnie has done some good for
the direction they chose.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 14, 2011 15:09

'By The Way' is probably my favourite album of the last decade. They hit a great run of form when Frusciante returned. It'll be interesting to see if they can keep it going.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 14, 2011 16:22

I can't tell you how many times I've been seduced by the "sounds like classic Stones" hype but hope springs eternal.

Anthony is starting to look like his creepy father in that picture.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: June 14, 2011 17:39

kowalski
From "Rolling Stone" magazine :

"The album's first single, "The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie," is a hard-pop spin on classic Chili Peppers funk, with a creeping bass line and a marching-disco rhythm in the chorus reminiscent of the late-Seventies Rolling Stones. In fact, Flea likens the rich propulsive interplay on I'm With You – the mix of jamming exploration, textural guitar details and savvy hooks in songs such as "The Monarchy of Roses," "Factory of Faith" and "Goodbye Hooray" – to the classic Stones albums like Exile on Main Street and Tattoo You that he listened to religiously as the Chili Peppers wrote and improvised on new material in 2009 and 2010. "It's about a feeling and a song." Flea says of the connection, "about everyone embracing the moment of the song, not always about the riff."

Full article here : Inside the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Comeback Album

I'LL TAKE ONE PLEASE AND FUNK YOU VERY MUCH

Date: June 14, 2011 18:35

Their last album Stadium Arcadium was really an achievement in their discography.
They have always been connected to the 70's sound & music. It's no wonder that they got fascinated by Stones 70's albums...

Date: June 18, 2011 01:37

i love the peppers, but man oh man, anthony kiedis sure writes some dumb lyrics!
here's the best of the worst:

1. "When it's written in Britain / We get a little smitten / Like a kitten the cuddle is where I'm benefittin'." - Mercy Mercy
2. "Low brow is how / Swimming in the sound / of Bow Wow Wow" - Suck My Kiss
3. "Did you meet your fortune teller / Get it off with no propellor / Do it up it's always stellar / What a way to finally smell her" - The Zephyr Song
4. "You've got your bit part Mozart / Hot dart acceleration / Pop art pistol chasin' / Cat fight intimidation" - Minor Thing
5. "Wake up the cake / It's a lake, she's kissing me / As they do / When they do in Sicily" - Around the World
6. "Grass hopper show stopper / The life of a wife swapper / Come with me 'cause I'm a Big Bopper / You do but I whopper" - Get on Top
7. "Give it up to this planet full of strife / We're the brothers' cup cuttin' sharp as a knife / With the pop of a snap and the flip of a flap / The cups went up like a natural fact" - The Brothers' Cup
8. "The one and only known / Of his kind sits in a throne / Not for the records that he holds / But for being bald and bold" - Magic Johnson
9. "Ridin' down the path on the back of a giraffe / Me and the giraffe laughed 'cause I passed some gas" - Nobody Weird Like Me
10. "Meet me at the coffee shop / We can dance like Iggy Pop / Another go in the parking lot / Frewak the cheek on your hot spot" - Coffee Shop
11. "Ooze into into my noodle / East or West shepherd or poodle / Ladybug pine tree / To mingle with the bumblebee / A lover to the sun / And a brother to the cool breeze" - One Big Mob
12. "Who will be my Eskimo / It's what I wanna know / It's time to undergo / Somewhere in Mexico / I'm making room for you / A simple point of view / Someone to defer to" - Eskimo
13. "How could I forget to mention / The bicycle is a good invention / Sitting there in a silent movie / Beside the only girl who really ever knew me / Happy days but sad her face / Heaven knows I'm on the case / How could I forget to mention the bicycle" - Bicycle Song
14. "Number three reason why I'm in your house / Hot butter melts across your mouth / Dancin' and a dancin' and a dancin' machine / Somebody move somebody scream" - Fat Dance
15. "As I walked out into the world I felt a sudden chill / I was bleedin' pretty good onto a daffodil" - Out of Range
16. "Gravity-free as she looks at her / Hottest on the mattress full of anti-matter / You never left a very mellow impression / Your smell or your go to hell expression / Quixotic elixir might / But it probably will not fix your bite / Tell me now tell me how / Did I get your lipstick on my kite" - Quixoticelixir
17. "I am just a lousy bum / Searching for the unknown crumb / The crumb the crumb / Something or someone to come / Come along illuminate my lust / Combust / Confucius might have been confused / And Buddha might have blown a fuse / I ooze the muse" - Coffee Shop
18. "Keystone cops and the billy bob chops / Gonna scare my kids gonna share my crops" - Save This lady
19. "You could do it at the hippodrome / Slide back trombone / Anybody got a TV tome / That's right unknown" - Charlie
20. "Must've been a hundred miles / And any of a hundred styles / It's not about the smile you wear but / The way we make out" - Hump De Bump
21. "She's got that mood ring / A little sister rose / Smell of Springsteen / A pair of pantyhose" - She's Only 18
22. "Picaboo Street in Timbuktu / Do I need to repeat that a boy named Sue / Rockin' to the beat of the kangaroo / Let me kiss your feet and forehead too" - One Big Mob
23. "The will of God is standing still / Brazilian children get their fill / Let's go" - Torture Me
24. "A rainy Lithuanian / Who's dancing as an Indian / Painted in my tiger skin / Especially in Michigan" - Especially in Michigan
25. "A disenchanted diplomat / Asleep inside a laundromat / Conveyor belts are moving / And I want you to be sure of that" - C'mon Girl
26. "We could all go down to Malibu and make some noise / Coca-Cola doesn't do the justice she enjoys" - Desecration Smile
27. "Strangulation / Altercation / Oral sex and bird migration" - 21st Century
28. "I've got a sister makin' babies / With a Black & Decker blowtorch / We're gonna fop it all night / In the middle of the back porch" - Readymade
29. "You try to be a lady / But you're walkin' like a sauerkraut" - Storm in a Teacup
30. "Bear paws and rascal power / Watching us in your garage / Big girl you ate the neighbor / The nova is over" - Death of a Martian

Date: June 18, 2011 10:44

I saw them in concert awhile back. The audience went crazy but Anthony Kiedis treated them with disdain. Just walked off without saying a word. It was still a great, great concert.

Date: July 16, 2011 20:17

first single from new album:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home