Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Is This It For North America?
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:05

Hey all. I'm sure this topic has already been covered once or twice before (so apologies for bringing up an existing topic, I couldn't find a thread with this exact subject). Do you think the Zip Code tour is it for North America? I believe it could very well be the last North American tour, but I doubt it'll be the last tour, with all the 2016 UK rumours. Anyway, do you think they'll be back to the US and Canada?

Re: Is This It For North America?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:10

stones2000

Anyway, do you think they'll be back to the US and Canada?

At least for the Private Stones Show: [www.iorr.org] winking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:15

Certainly the last staduim tour, imo. Probably the last major US tour for the Stones. I don't really see Charlie or Keith doing this in 2017 or so, which would likely be the next probable US opportunity.

I think going out on a strong note is important for them which this tour is providing. They probably won't risk tarnishing the legacy with decreased performance level inherent with men in their mid-70's.

Not to say we won't see appearances by each member after the Stones "retire", just not together, imo.

peace

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:23

I believe they will be back! winking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:27

20 year ago we wouldn't believe that they still would play in 2015 in stadiums at the age of 70+ but your right seems there comes a day that one of them think it's enough........but with the Stones you never know grinning smiley

Date: June 12, 2015 23:29

Hairball

Houston, Denver, New York City, Seattle all needs shows

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:29

Naturalust
They probably won't risk tarnishing the legacy with decreased performance level inherent with men in their mid-70's.

peace

I kind of think that is just what they have been doing since 2005...
It would have been nothing wrong with them ending their career as a live band after the glorious Licks-tour in 2003. It felt kind of odd when they came back two years later with a dull greatest hits set, since the Licks-tour offered so varied setlists.

It's still wonderful to see them play and I love following every step they take. No way I would have wanted them to stop after 2003, even though it has all been downhill since.

In 2013 I kind of felt that it was time for them to stop, seeing a few of those uninspired arena gigs. But since then they seem to play better every night! Maybe it's the play-every-year effect?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 23:50 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:31

jumpontopofmebaby
Hairball

Houston, Denver, New York City, Seattle all needs shows

NYC doesnt need a show

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:32

In a word? No.

In fact I don't even think it's "it" for North America this year...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:39

MisterDDDD
In a word? No.

Agreed.

Date: June 12, 2015 23:41

MisterDDDD
In a word? No.

Hm? You think they'll add more dates?

Date: June 12, 2015 23:42

Hairball

I hope you're right!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:42

They might not stitch more stadium dates onto the ongoing tour, but they still have an open tab at MSG.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:03

Nikkei
They might not stitch more stadium dates onto the ongoing tour, but they still have an open tab at MSG.

indeed they do

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:04

<<I'm sure this topic has already been covered once or twice before>>

Since around 1972.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:08

stonehearted

Since around 1972.

For example: this newspaper clipping from 1981 (top far right of the image) [news.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-13 00:10 by Turner68.

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:19

CloudCat
Nikkei

indeed they do
I saw John Mayall in London last year. He was 80. He was a way better performer that at the age of 74 and he had new material. These guys just love playing live. I don't see why the Stones cannot do the same in some form - no doubt not a stadium.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:24

yeababyyea
Naturalust
They probably won't risk tarnishing the legacy with decreased performance level inherent with men in their mid-70's.

peace

I kind of think that is just what they have been doing since 2005...
It would have been nothing wrong with them ending their career as a live band after the glorious Licks-tour in 2003. It felt kind of odd when they came back two years later with a dull greatest hits set, since the Licks-tour offered so varied setlists.

It's still wonderful to see them play and I love following every step they take. No way I would have wanted them to stop after 2003, even though it has all been downhill since.

In 2013 I kind of felt that it was time for them to stop, seeing a few of those uninspired arena gigs. But since then they seem to play better every night! Maybe it's the play-every-year effect?

I think it's just this improvement which will allow them to leave the game while they are still winning....but I agree it is wonderful to see them doing so well in 2015.

The major and minor markets in the USA have got the Stones in the last couple of years, it's foolish to expect more, imo. The stadium tours are also the last huge payout for them. It's possible they will add a show or two at the end of the tour since "the wheels are turning" but South America and Europe will get the last Stones shows before they retire, imo.

I don't think they'll ever announce a retirement but it will likely be obvious to those close to the band.

peace

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:30

I agree. This is the last stadium tour of North America, but they'll still do small Theater/Arena tours. Mick likes the short tours, as do the other guys. 15 dates is plenty at their age.

Smaller venues would give them a chance to do more special shows, full albums, deep cuts. The stuff hardcore fans always complain about. They might even try a residency in one city like New York, or London. Worked for other aging bands.

The real issue is not Mick, he's a freak of nature and will go on for years. It's Charlie and Keith. Charlie wants to retire, but feels obligated to his friends, Keith doesn't want to retire but his health is quite fragile. The guys a chain smoking former drug addict travelling the World. it's a miracle with every show. it will catch up to him sooner or later.

Date: June 13, 2015 00:34

Gfmsoccer
I agree. This is the last stadium tour of North America, but they'll still do small Theater/Arena tours. Mick likes the short tours, as do the other guys. 15 dates is plenty at their age.

Smaller venues would give them a chance to do more special shows, full albums, deep cuts. The stuff hardcore fans always complain about. They might even try a residency in one city like New York, or London. Worked for other aging bands.

The real issue is not Mick, he's a freak of nature and will go on for years. It's Charlie and Keith. Charlie wants to retire, but feels obligated to his friends, Keith doesn't want to retire but his health is quite fragile. The guys a chain smoking former drug addict travelling the World. it's a miracle with every show. it will catch up to him sooner or later.

Is Keith still a chain smoker? I knew he still smoked, but my understanding was that he'd cut way down in the last few years. I could be totally mistaken here

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:39

No he isn't. The "former" is two words late.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:39

Personally, think that a new album may actually happen and they'll return to do the major markets one last time. La, Chicago, nyc next year. No inside info but they are tearing it up in a good way right now and they can do it so why not

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:41

I'm sure when the Stones do their farewell tour, they'll do some huge worldwide tour (which will include another stadium tour through the US and Canada) to rake in another humungous amount of money.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:24

Gfmsoccer

Well, they've done that here and there, smaller venues, better set lists. Deep cuts - they'll probably never do a full album. I'm guessing you mean in LP sequence. What, they played all but one song from SOME GIRLS in 1978 and for that club show this year so far they played all the songs from STICKY FINGERS.

Bizarrely them doing smaller venues and deep cuts was over 10 years ago already. LICKS was a fantastic tour. To me they reached another peak with BRIDGES TO BABYLON regarding their live shows that ended with the LICKS tour.

I used to doubt them doing a residency somewhere. But after the whole 'we're not the Beach Boys' and 'we're a band that's still moving forward and doing new things' crap from Mick and then... doing what the Beach Boys (actually it the "Beach Boys" featuring Mike Love he was talking about) do - playing greatest hits because no one gives a shit about new material... maybe because, oh, the last new LP had too much crap on it and because of that it was too long and yet they still chose to essentially ignore it.

At least they (or Mick) smartened up and started delving into archival studio and live recordings - the one thing 'true' or serious Stones fans have wanted, with the results being great to below tepid. A new LP is pointless regarding the big picture - which should be more archival releases.

Is this their last tour? I never doubted they'd keep going as far back as STEEL WHEELS (I concur that the LICKS tour should've been their last tour, although I always thought as a creative entity that REWIND should've been their last hits comp and newest release - although I do dig certain songs from VL and BTB and ABB - but as The Rolling Stones proper, REWIND was it; the two LPs that came after that are garbage).

The money is the number one factor. The music is second. They can't make the money without playing the music so... there will most likely be one more North American tour. At that point they will be in their mid to mid/late 70s. That should, for the sake of humanity, be enough.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:38

stonehearted

Since around 1972.

You mean 1792. grinning smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:44

Indeed I do, latebloomer--back in the days of the Revolutionary War(horses). winking smiley

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:48

as mick has said he don't even think about retirement i reckon they will do a 60th anniversary tour then call it quits i believe this maybe their last tour until then

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 13, 2015 02:06

Non credo che i Rolling Stones faranno un tour d'addio, Mick odia queste cose ...
The day will come when they will say stop !

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 13, 2015 02:08

late 2015: Maybe South America Zip Code Tour
2016: New album
2016: Europe (16 gigs) and Australasian in the fall(Japan,China,Australia,New zeland and so on)
2017: North America (NYC,Chicago,Seattle and so on plus 2/3 Canadian gigs)
then stop
2022/2023: "Residency gigs" 5 in NYC, 5 in LA, 5 in Paris and 5 in London

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 13, 2015 02:22

That makes me feel better about skipping these stadium shows, which I HATE!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home