Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
While on tour do The Stones debug their performances?
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 20:02

Have always wondered about this: do rock musicians in general--and The Stones in particular--get together after a show, or the next day, or whenever, listen to tapes, and discuss what went right, wrong, etc?

Or is one person in charge (in The Stones' case, Mick, or Chuck, or ?) of evaluating the previous performance and reporting back to the group any problems that need to be corrected before the next show?

Or does it all kind of run on auto-pilot and by now they really just sort of know what's working, what's not, and what they need to do to correct any problems?

Sorry in advance if this has been addressed before; I couldn't find any record of it. Has always been something I've wondered about.

Re: While on tour do The Stones debug their performances?
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: June 3, 2015 20:08

They tape everything they do. They tape all the people there. They tape the fans. And.......yes, they watch the tapes with vigilence.

CE smoking smiley

Oh, and they are a tad superstitious. If a song "goes wrong", they dump it immediately from the setlist. cool smiley

EDIT TO ADD: Obviously, if "Satisfaction" goes wrong it stays in the setlist. What I meant was - if a new-ish tune goes wrong then boom, it's gone for the rest of the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 20:12 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 3, 2015 20:12

Ah, do they "debrief," debug?

Good question, LBA.

Thanks, CE.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 3, 2015 20:14

angee

Good question, LBA.

Thanks, CE.

You're welcome - but take a look up please. I've just added a bit of info.

Thanks,
CE smoking smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 3, 2015 20:14

in the 70's there was a party in keiths room every night and they would blast a tape of the show while everyone was hanging out.
so they had a pretty quick turnaround on what they played and re-listening to it.

nowdays i'm not sure. you would think they would not only listen to the shows but watch a video of it.even if the others don't, jagger is so meticulous about everything he probably sees it and does a breakdown of what worked and what didnt.

Date: June 3, 2015 20:15

angee

Good question, LBA.

Thanks, CE.

Yes, thanks, CE. I figured everything was taped, of course.

Do you have any idea how the process works? Seems like they live such separate lives, even while on tour. Is there a designated time at which everybody gets together and pokes fun at Ronnie missing an intro or Keith having a fashion malfunction or Mick forgetting a lyric? I just wonder how they get these issues on the table and then go about solving them.

Perhaps these are just well-guarded state secrets ...

Date: June 3, 2015 20:18

lem motlow
in the 70's there was a party in keiths room every night and they would blast a tape of the show while everyone was hanging out.
so they had a pretty quick turnaround on what they played and re-listening to it.

nowdays i'm not sure. you would think they would not only listen to the shows but watch a video of it.even if the others don't, jagger is so meticulous about everything he probably sees it and does a breakdown of what worked and what didnt.

Yeah, it's so much easier to imagine them doing something like this back then. I think there may even be some info of this sort in Stanley Booth's book on the '69 tour.

But, nowadays? I just have no clue.

Date: June 3, 2015 20:20

LongBeachArena72

At this point, they all watch the tapes before the soundcheck for CityX show that night.

BTW: Their lives are not as separate as one might think! tongue sticking out smiley Whilst on tour, I mean.

CE smoking smiley

Date: June 3, 2015 20:26

Cocaine Eyes
LongBeachArena72

At this point, they all watch the tapes before the soundcheck for CityX show that night.

BTW: Their lives are not as separate as one might think! tongue sticking out smiley Whilst on tour, I mean.

CE smoking smiley

I see. Cool--thanks!

That is one video screening session I'd love to be a fly on the wall for ...

Date: June 3, 2015 20:35

Cocaine Eyes
LongBeachArena72

CE smoking smiley

for some reason, this post made my day-i guess you dont become the best at something and stay that way for so long without working at it.
it's like they say, the great ones make it look easy.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 3, 2015 20:41

Very interesing thread! I always wondered this..
Probably Mick does it. He does so much preperation for the tour, does his fitness and singing exercises and I bet at least after the first show he wants to see/hear if he's in a good shape. And I guess Mick is also the one who decides about the rare songs.

Date: June 3, 2015 21:03

StonedRambler-

i can see you are a bit new here,you may want to reread cocaine eyes post and give it a little more....consideration.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 3, 2015 21:25

Insider info deluxe! Thanks CE

Date: June 3, 2015 21:26

Cocaine Eyes
They tape everything they do. They tape all the people there. They tape the fans. And.......yes, they watch the tapes with vigilence.

CE smoking smiley

Oh, and they are a tad superstitious. If a song "goes wrong", they dump it immediately from the setlist. cool smiley

EDIT TO ADD: Obviously, if "Satisfaction" goes wrong it stays in the setlist. What I meant was - if a new-ish tune goes wrong then boom, it's gone for the rest of the tour.

They didn't think Can't Be Seen "went wrong" on the tour premiere in Europe last year? smoking smiley

Posted by: TheGoons ()
Date: June 3, 2015 21:36

I always thought in the past--looking at the 81, 89 and 94 US tours for example--the first 3 to 6 shows had new songs played as tryout to see if they'll work live ("Tops" in 81) or older songs/covers to see where they can work in the set or just trying to get their "live legs" back. This is why I've always found the first handful of shows on any tour the most interesting (not really counting the '12/'13/'14/'15 tours separately; it's been one long piecemeal tour to me)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 21:45

TheGoons
I always thought in the past--looking at the 81, 89 and 94 US tours for example--the first 3 to 6 shows had new songs played as tryout to see if they'll work live ("Tops" in 81) or older songs/covers to see where they can work in the set or just trying to get their "live legs" back. This is why I've always found the first handful of shows on any tour the most interesting (not really counting the '12/'13/'14/'15 tours separately; it's been one long piecemeal tour to me)

Absolutely.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:01

While I don't doubt they might drop a tune that obviously doesn't work from the set list. I tend to think they are probably considerably beyond the point of evaluating every performance in order to make improvements for the next one.

I mean they have played these songs hundreds of times and there is a big difference between rehearsing the songs and discussing them and evaluating every performance. What is Mick going to do, tell Keith to play a better lead, tell Ronnie to stick to the rhythm more tightly? And are you actually going to get Charlie to watch all these performances?, no way.

Keith mentioned a while back that he hadn't seen Mick at the venues prior to getting on stage for many years. Besides getting ready for a show involves psyching ones self up, warming up and other things. I seriously doubt they are going to risk getting ready by looking at and evaluating mistakes from the previous show.

They have all talked about their pre-show preparation and I've never heard anyone talk about debugging stuff from the previous shows. Sorry CE, I don't buy it. Unless there were major problems I just don't see this as part of the Stones 2015 routine.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 22:19 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:22

Yeah, as if they should "debug" Satisfaction and JJ Flash after playing them for the 5,000th time. Sure...

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:30

I think they only debug if something goes catastrophically wrong, like an amp going dead in the middle of a number or Keith getting electrocuted during "The Last Time".

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:44

Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Like Silver Train

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:47

Yup. That's why they have 3-4 days between each show. thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:47

Yep. If a band needs to debug performances after 50 years of playing live shows they are either way more serious about the music than I give them credit for or way more insecure about their abilities as musicians than makes sense. The reason they work so hard in rehearsals is so they don't have to do this sort of constant re-evaluation once the tour is started, imo.

And if they actually watched every performance on the last tour, there is no way they wouldn't have invited Taylor back for this one. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:50

alieb
Cocaine Eyes
if a new-ish tune goes wrong then boom, it's gone for the rest of the tour.

Like Silver Train

They played it again in Brisbane.

Date: June 3, 2015 22:53

Naturalust
Sorry CE, I don't buy it. Unless there were major problems I just don't see this as part of the Stones 2015 routine.

Hi, well let me put it this way. The tapes are there for everyone to watch and critique. BUT, let's say they play "Connection" for the first time. I'd be certain to say they'd all sit down together and look for how well everyone handled it and also whether (or not) it fit well into the overall 'feel' of the performances of that particular tour.

Did that make more sense?

And to the poster (forgive me, I forget your login name) who suggested MICK and Mick alone does it all......well, I'm confused! (Not really). So MICK does it all then? Jerry Hall was right when she said "He's busy!" circa 1991-2. He plays drums, piano, horns, sings, dances, 3 guitars at the same time, sews the costumes.......confused smiley And after ALL THAT, Mick sits back and watches himself doing it all. I have to echo Jerry Hall with "He's busy!"grinning smiley

CE smoking smiley

EDIT TO ADD: The VERY most important tapes they watch and watch again and again are the rehearsal gigs. They watch and listen to audience reaction. They watch their own every move. But as I just said, if they introduce "Connection" it's going to be looked at again and again until everyone is happy with it. OK now?smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 22:57 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 3, 2015 22:53

do The Stones debug their performances?

To the point where they are completely sterile?................n-----o......

Date: June 3, 2015 22:58

EddieByword
do The Stones debug their performances?

To the point where they are completely sterile?................n-----o......

Oh Lord no! We need the Stones to remain "a bit wobbly" as Bill said so long ago.

Good point, EddieByword.

CE smoking smiley

Date: June 3, 2015 23:05

StonedRambler
Very interesing thread! I always wondered this..
Probably Mick does it. He does so much preperation for the tour, does his fitness and singing exercises and I bet at least after the first show he wants to see/hear if he's in a good shape. And I guess Mick is also the one who decides about the rare songs.

That's a tad bizarre. If anyone was trying to 'decide about the rare songs' wouldn't it be crazy (to say nothing of impolite) to not have the guitar players and the drummer in on the decision-making?

The Stones is a group effort, believe it or not. It ain't The Mick Jagger Show!eye popping smiley

CE smoking smiley

Date: June 3, 2015 23:08

TheGoons

Thank you! You said it better than I ever could.

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: June 3, 2015 23:09

Cocaine Eyes

When the power went out on opening night in Philly, '89, it was during "Shattered." They never played it again that tour.

Date: June 3, 2015 23:14

i think it's hilarious that anyone would think they just casually go out there and blow away a crowd and move on-they see EVERYTHING.

think of it like this,charlie helps design the stages for a tour.it's like a championship team,everyone is accountable.

keith is way,way more involved than he leads the fans to believe,the image is one thing-the casual,slightly buzzed, devil make care guy,the reality is something completely different.

a rule of thumb-if they're making it look easy they worked really hard to do it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home