Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Meet the ORIGINAL Rolling Stones — from Mississippi!
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 5, 2011 18:37

Meet the ORIGINAL Rolling Stones — from Mississippi!
BY VANCE LAUDERDALE
Jun 4, 2011 - 08:31 PM

They were from Starkville, actually. Home of Mississippi State University. The alma mater of quite a few Memphians — which gives me an excuse to write about that here. Yes, I know, it's a stretch. But pay attention anyway.

Now, everybody on earth has heard of that little band in England, formed in 1962 by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. They named their group "The Rolling Stones" after the title of a Muddy Waters record they admired, though he preferred to spell it Rollin'.

But, as you can see from this photo published way back in the 1958 edition of the Reveille, the yearbook of Mississippi State College, as it was known then, a high-energy rock-and-roll group called — yep, the Rolling Stones — played at parties in the Starkville area. The group had an interesting lineup — a pair of guitarists (one armed with a Fender Stratocaster, another with a Telecaster), a drummer, a pianist, and a stand-up bass player who apparently decided that he didn't need to actually "stand up" to play his instrument. No microphones in sight, so it's hard to say who the singer was. Heck, with all this going on, maybe they didn't need one.

I have no idea who these guys' names are, and I do wonder what happened to them over the years. But with their catchy name, they were certainly ahead of their time, and their matching "mod" jackets even preceded what we would see the Beatles wearing about five or six years later.

Who knew Starkville, Mississippi, was so cutting-edge in the world of music? And what's really strange about this band? Not a cowbell in sight!

[www.memphismagazine.com]

Re: OT: Meet the ORIGINAL Rolling Stones — from Mississippi!
Date: June 5, 2011 18:48

I think these guys pre-date the band from Mississippi.

If anyone has any facts about this band, I'd like to know.
The logo on the drum looks like it could have been photoshopped. What do you think?

Date: June 5, 2011 18:52

More info on the Mississippi band: [www.mswritersandmusicians.com]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 5, 2011 19:06

Edith Grove

The logo on the drum looks like it could have been photoshopped. What do you think?

Edith Grove,do you remember you posted one year ago the photo above on the thread I called "Once they were the Rolling Stones ...... in 1957 ." winking smiley

[www.iorr.org]

The logo on the drums seems photoshopped indeed .
But still....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-05 19:17 by SwayStones.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 8, 2011 15:10

Weren't there are bunch of acrobats in London in the 1930s called The Rolling Stones?

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: June 8, 2011 17:57

I once knew of a bowling team, originating from the Fifties, called the Rolling Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-08 18:06 by 3DTeafoe.

Date: June 8, 2011 18:00

Edith Grove

I own this photograph and I can promise you that it is completely original and the image has not been manipulated in any way.

Date: June 8, 2011 18:06

3DTeafoe
I own this photograph and I can promise you that it is completely original and the image has not been manipulated in any way.

Nice !

Could you give us some history behind it ?

Date: June 8, 2011 18:12

I've tried to dig up some info about this combo, but have not had much luck. From what I could gather, they were from Brighton.
When I first posted this pics a few years ago, someone from the Netherlands sent me an email asking me if I could unequivocally vouch for the authenticity of this photo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1153
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home