Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Some Girls vs. Tattoo You
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2015 06:16

OK...Some will say these are the last two good albums the stones ever made...I don't agree, but these are certainly the last two MONSTER albums they've ever done.

In this corner, from 1978, The multiplatinum SOME GIRLS!

In the other corner, from 1981 (and certain points anywhere from 1973-81) the multiplatinum TATTOO YOU!

OK, battle of the mid career titans, let's get started! We'll go track for track vinyl style and we'll dump Neighbours, the 'extra' track on side 1!

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP! - oh man...two absolute classic killer singles. BOTH MONSTER SONGS! How do you choose, disco/funk'n'soul vs. rock'n'roll. Based solely on originality, daringness and the fact that it was the last #1 single, I think we're going to have to go with Miss You. 1-0

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE - pretty even...but...MAMA AND PAPA TOLD ME to pick WHIP. 2-0

JUST MY IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE - love this Motown classic, but I love the drive of Slave even more...DO IT DO IT DO IT DO AAAAAAAAAYT! 2-1

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A - oh the humanity! Mick vs. Keith again. I adore both these songs. If I`m being honest, I think I actually listen to Some Girls more, so 3-1. Some Girls widening its lead!

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE - please...easiest one sided affair on the album. A throwaway vs. bluesy classic 3-2

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU - this is unfair, another blistering round with both teams giving it their all. How do you counter brilliant country comedy?! With an even more brilliant falsetto and blue eyed soul! LOVE IT EVERY TIME!! 3-3 WE'RE ALL TIED UP!

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS - the easiest lay on the white house lawn is not tops! Respectable is iconic but does Tops top it? not sure...wait, yes I am, it's so respectable but can't top tops. 3-4

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN - I love HEAVEN, it's one of the most unique ethereal songs the band has ever done, but next to what may be KEITH's best song ever...no chance. 4-4. Wow, all tied up again VERY late in the game.

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING - BEAST is a beast...the weave alone blast this round to a Some Girls victory. Ain't no use in crying, Tattoo You you're behind...5-4.

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND - OH MAN...laughter joy and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex, or a smile relieves a heart that grieves? I love both tunes but I think I'm going to get sentimental here with an absolutely beautiful ballad. 5-5.

This is the closest match we've ever had here at ALBUM DEATH MATCH!

OK...tie breaker time.

let's bring back NEIGHBOURS....does it do more harm than good? Does it drag Tattoo You down, or is it one more arrow in it's quiver...a shot to the heart of Some Girls...?

This is difficult. It's my least favourite song on Tattoo You.

It isn't per se a bad song, and it has energy, and it is better than the worst song on Some Girls, LIES.

WINNER, Split decision....TATTOO YOU! 5-6

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Some Girls vs. Tattoo You
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 28, 2015 08:11

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP! - Leave it to the Stones to come up w/ a cool, sexy, slinky disco number that rock fans weren't ashamed to openly dig during the height of the "Disco Sucks" movement - Miss You all the way! 1-0

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE Whip it - Whip it good! no contest. 2-0

JUST MY IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE Imagination is great but Slave trumps it and it's an original tune. 2-1

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A Dang - yer killing me! After much consideration, I declare both songs equally meritorious - TIE!!. So I guess 1 point for each album then. 3-2

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE Home James! Black Limo all the way. 3-3

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU I know this is an unpoopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of Mick's falsetto. I'm not downright disgusted by it, just mildly annoyed. Far Away Eyes takes the prize - love the melody & "tongue in cheek" vocal delivery. 4-3

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS - IMO, Tops is a flop. Respectable takes it hands down... 5-3

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN - Zero contemplation required - Before They Make Me Run!!! 6-3

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING Beast is absolutely sublime, no need to burden myself w/ further ponderin'...7-3

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND This is tough tough tough tough tough!!!! A favorite ballad vs a favorite high-octane rocker...and the winner is....Shattered! I'm just a rocker chick at heartsmiling smiley 8-3

No need for the Neighbors tiebreaker. SOME GIRLS WINS!!!

I'm a newbie at this - hope I followed proper protocol and got the math right.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 08:46

Some girls wins in my book.

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 28, 2015 09:05

Here are my pics

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP! - Start me up, it's a classic song, maybe one of the best.

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE - Whip comes down, it's so solid.

JUST MY IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE - I love Just my Imagination, a perfect song, plus that's what I want, but it's just my imagination....

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A - I love t&a, but some girls is so good. I have to go with some girls for personal reasons, it's so true, you never know what you're gonna get.

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE - I like Lies here.

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU - Faraway is perfect smoking smiley

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS - I love Tops, for what it's worth.

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN - Before they make me run

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING - Beast

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND - Waiting on a friend.

WINNER, ....Some girls 7, Tattoo You 3, but in my defense I have listened to some girls much more and both are nice.... ....[/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 09:06 by eyesoftheworld.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2015 09:07

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP! - Disco against rock n roll..guess what? 0 - 1

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE - HF is brillint r n r 0 - 2

JUST MY IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE - JMI is among their best song ever 1 - 2

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A - Easy peacy win for Little T&A 1 - 3

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE - 1 - 4 for the limo-service

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU - Jeeze Faraway Eyes best country song ever recorded 2 - 4

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS - Respectable is widely underrated 3 - 4

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN - Easy round to Keith 4 - 4

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING - round to sensitive Crying 4 - 5

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND - Waiting on a friend...what a video !! 4 - 6

As I suspected...Some Girls stand a Little thin against heavier Tattoo...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 28, 2015 09:53

This is a ridiculously tough match.

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP - Two iconic classics. I'm going for Miss You. 1-0

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE - Could have been a tie, but Whip is a little better. 2-0

IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE - Tough one! Slave gets my vote. 2-1

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A - Keith takes it home. 2-2

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE - A full throttle rocker vs. a heavy blues. 3-2

NOTHING vs. NEIGHBOURS – 3-3

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU - Two great songs. WAY was the first Stones song I ever heard. 3-4

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS - Love both. 4-4

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN - Love Heaven, but BTMMR is more heartfelt. 5-4

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING - Knock out. 6-4

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND - Do we have to pick a winner? 6-5

Date: May 28, 2015 09:56

shattered hasn't aged well has it?

Date: May 28, 2015 10:19

Turner68

How come? Still among my favourites. Sometimes I like the studio version the most. Other times I prefer the faster live versions.

Like with many Stones songs, the riff just hooks you in. Magic.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:20

Turner68

I think Shattered has aged very wellthumbs up. Loved it then, love it now. I guess I'll allow you to have a differing opinion, though winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 10:21 by Plink.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:40

Oh wow, this must be the most interesting Death-match of all. Not their best albums, but their last very good albums.

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP! : 0 - 1

Miss You is more original. Neither of them work very well live. But I like Start me Up better because if there is one great example of "the ancient art of weaving", it's this one.

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE : 1 - 1

Both are rather simple rockers, but Hang Fire is close to filler whereas When The Whip Comes Down is funny, and has at least one great live version.

JUST MY IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE: 1 - 2

The soul cover is great, but Slave is so fantastic that it wins even with eyes closed.

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A : 1 - 3

I like both, but Little T&A has more soul.

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE : 1 - 4

Both are simple rockers. But Black Limousine rocks harder and has a great solo.

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU : 1 - 5

I don't like Mick's tendency to "make fun of country". (Or - different thread - the way he tries to imitate an american accent as he does in that "your nightshirt" (or whatever) song on Wandering Spirit). I mean, "Sweet Virgina", "Dead Flowers", for instance, prove you can sing country without making an ass of yourself, right? Faraway Eyes is the weakest thing on Some Girls.
And anyway, Worried About You is great. So there.

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS : 1 - 6

I really like Respectable, aka Chuck Berry meets Steve Jones. But Tops is wonderful. Even better than Worried About You.

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN : 1 - 7

Heaven is one of the most original things the Stones did while still sounding really good. ("Back To Zero" is maybe original too, but so is farting in a microphone). I love everything about Heaven. Before They Make Me Run is okay but certainly not Keith's best.

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING : 2 - 8

Ohh, tough call. The thing is, I love the B-Side of Tattoo You. I love all of it. Totally. So, I should give the points to No Use in Crying, but I feel sorry for Some Girls, and Beast of Burden, after all, does deserve a lot of credits. It's one of their best later "hit songs" (which, I think, never really got the credits it deserves).
So, they both get points.

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND : 2 - 9

Shattered is great. Waiting on a Friend is so much better.

So, it's a clear victory of Tattoo You over Some Girls, which comes as no surprise to me. Still, the end result does not really reflect that - actually - I like Some Girls also very much. But it's hard to compete with the B-side of Tattoo You. And Faraway Eyes really is terrible. So, there you go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 22:34 by matxil.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:42

DandelionPowderman
Turner68

How come? Still among my favourites. Sometimes I like the studio version the most. Other times I prefer the faster live versions.

as far as the lyrics, they are about new york city in the 70s, which is very different from how it is now.

i find the melody to be very boring.

but most of all, i used to love the song and now i find it tiresome, and i was under the impression most stones fans felt the same way. back in 81 or 89, for example, it was vying for warhorse status (or so i thought.)

just my opinion.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:52

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

as far as the lyrics, they are about new york city in the 70s, which is very different from how it is now.

i find the melody to be very boring.

but most of all, i used to love the song and now i find it tiresome, and i was under the impression most stones fans felt the same way. back in 81 or 89, for example, it was vying for warhorse status (or so i thought.)

just my opinion.

I still love Shattered, especially the studio version. I am not sure it works live. I don't live in New York, I have no idea what that city is like, but I think the feeling of the song reflects very well the general idea of a big metropole with people dressed up strangely, vagrants on the streets, people going to work and sex and sex and sex, whether it's NY, London, Paris or Berlin.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:04

Miss You I Start Me Up
When The Whip Comes Down I Hang Fire
Just My Imagination I Slave
Some Girls I Little T&A
Lies I Black Limousine
Faraway Eyes I Worried About You
Respectable I Tops
Before They Make Me Run I Heaven
Beast Of Burden I No Use In Crying
Shattered I Waiting On A Friend

Some Girls 5
Tattoo You 5

Guess I'm no good at that...

Date: May 28, 2015 12:05

Nikkei
Miss You I Start Me Up
Some Girls I Little T&A
Lies I Black Limousine
Respectable I Tops

Some Girls 5
Tattoo You 5

What do your neighbours say about this? winking smiley

Date: May 28, 2015 12:06

Nikkei
Miss You I Start Me Up
Some Girls I Little T&A
Lies I Black Limousine
Respectable I Tops

Some Girls 5
Tattoo You 5

can i appeal one of your decisions and ask that you re-listen to "little t&a" and "some girls" and reconsider your vote?

Date: May 28, 2015 12:15

I really like Some Girls better than T&A. Sugar Blue is amazing and Micks attitude when he sang it in 1999 gives it a final push. Dandie you're right. By leaving out Neighbours I've adopted Treacles bias.

Date: May 28, 2015 12:17

Nikkei
I really like Some Girls better than T&A. Sugar Blue is amazing and Micks attitude when he sang it in 1999 gives it a final push. Dandie you're right. By leaving out Neighbours I've adopted Treacles bias.

do judges allow consideration of a live version in a studio album death match? ;-)

little t&a is the first keith song i ever heard, always will have a special place in my heart because of that.

Date: May 28, 2015 12:22

That would be for Treacle to decide. It's not so much that I consider the live version as seeing the studio version in a different light after listening to it live. I would do a poor job on jury duty, that's for sure.

Date: May 28, 2015 12:24

i was just teasing. some girls is a much better album, i agree with your conclusion. that was your conclusion right?

Date: May 28, 2015 12:34

As a whole, Some Girls is better IMO. But the way I understand it we are going for surprising insights by matching the individual tracks?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2015 13:41

I have been Learning that many of you have terrible taste in Music by this ALBUM MATHCES....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2015 15:49

Turner68
Nikkei
Miss You I Start Me Up
Some Girls I Little T&A
Lies I Black Limousine
Respectable I Tops

Some Girls 5
Tattoo You 5

can i appeal one of your decisions and ask that you re-listen to "little t&a" and "some girls" and reconsider your vote?

Just listen to yourself...do you even understand the concept of 'death match'?!

Match to the DEATH! There is no turning back, reconsidering one's vote.

Get it right the first time, and BTW, those giving out 'ties' in any one match are wildly flouting the rules.

Date: May 28, 2015 15:54

Didn't reconsider my vote. Still I ended up with two half-dead albums twitching about on the ground. Not sure I want to do this again.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2015 16:05

Miss You I Start Me Up
Some Girls I Little T&A
Lies I Black Limousine
Respectable I Tops
--------------------------------------------
7-3 to SG! But I still prefer TY! Strange...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 28, 2015 16:23

1st half

Miss You / Start Me Up 1 x 1
When The Whip Comes Down / Hang Fire 2 x 1
Just My Imagination / Slave 3x2
Some Girls / Little T&A 4x3
Lies / Black Limousine 4x4
x / Neighbors 4x5

2nd half

Faraway Eyes / Worried About You 4x6
Respectable / Tops 4x7
Before They Make Me Run / Heaven 5x7
Beast Of Burden / No Use In Crying 6x7
Shattered / Waiting On A Friend 7x7

Overtime (singles)

shattered / start me up 7x8

Everything Is Turning to Gold / No Use 8x8

Penalties (SG vs TY live live - in order of appearance on the 78/81 set lists)

When The Whip Comes Down / Neighbors 9x8
Beast of Burden / Black Limo 10x8
Miss You / Waiting on a friend 11x8

With a 3 x 0 lead in the penalties series, SG wins without having to kick the last two.

Just My Imagination / T&A
Shattered / Hang Fire

C

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 28, 2015 16:51

treaclefingers
OK...Some will say these are the last two good albums the stones ever made...I don't agree, but these are certainly the last two MONSTER albums they've ever done.

In this corner, from 1978, The multiplatinum SOME GIRLS!

In the other corner, from 1981 (and certain points anywhere from 1973-81) the multiplatinum TATTOO YOU!

OK, battle of the mid career titans, let's get started! We'll go track for track vinyl style and we'll dump Neighbours, the 'extra' track on side 1!

MISS YOU vs. START ME UP! - oh man...two absolute classic killer singles. BOTH MONSTER SONGS! How do you choose, disco/funk'n'soul vs. rock'n'roll. Based solely on originality, daringness and the fact that it was the last #1 single, I think we're going to have to go with Miss You. 1-0

WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN vs. HANG FIRE - pretty even...but...MAMA AND PAPA TOLD ME to pick WHIP. 2-0

JUST MY IMAGINATION vs. SLAVE - love this Motown classic, but I love the drive of Slave even more...DO IT DO IT DO IT DO AAAAAAAAAYT! 2-1

SOME GIRLS vs. LITTLE T&A - oh the humanity! Mick vs. Keith again. I adore both these songs. If I`m being honest, I think I actually listen to Some Girls more, so 3-1. Some Girls widening its lead!

LIES vs. BLACK LIMOSINE - please...easiest one sided affair on the album. A throwaway vs. bluesy classic 3-2

FARAWAY EYES vs. WORRIED ABOUT YOU - this is unfair, another blistering round with both teams giving it their all. How do you counter brilliant country comedy?! With an even more brilliant falsetto and blue eyed soul! LOVE IT EVERY TIME!! 3-3 WE'RE ALL TIED UP!

RESPECTABLE vs. TOPS - the easiest lay on the white house lawn is not tops! Respectable is iconic but does Tops top it? not sure...wait, yes I am, it's so respectable but can't top tops. 3-4

BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN vs. HEAVEN - I love HEAVEN, it's one of the most unique ethereal songs the band has ever done, but next to what may be KEITH's best song ever...no chance. 4-4. Wow, all tied up again VERY late in the game.

BEAST OF BURDEN vs. NO USE IN CRYING - BEAST is a beast...the weave alone blast this round to a Some Girls victory. Ain't no use in crying, Tattoo You you're behind...5-4.

SHATTERED vs. WAITING ON A FRIEND - OH MAN...laughter joy and loneliness and sex and sex and sex and sex, or a smile relieves a heart that grieves? I love both tunes but I think I'm going to get sentimental here with an absolutely beautiful ballad. 5-5.

This is the closest match we've ever had here at ALBUM DEATH MATCH!

OK...tie breaker time.

let's bring back NEIGHBOURS....does it do more harm than good? Does it drag Tattoo You down, or is it one more arrow in it's quiver...a shot to the heart of Some Girls...?

This is difficult. It's my least favourite song on Tattoo You.

It isn't per se a bad song, and it has energy, and it is better than the worst song on Some Girls, LIES.

WINNER, Split decision....TATTOO YOU! 5-6

Haha, very funny. I go with your result though.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 20:58

Miss You I Start Me Up 0-1
When The Whip Comes Down I Hang Fire 1-1
Just My Imagination I Slave 1-2
Some Girls I Little T&A 2-2
Lies I Black Limousine 2-3
Faraway Eyes I Worried About You 2-4
Respectable I Tops 2-5
Before They Make Me Run I Heaven 3-5
Beast Of Burden I No Use In Crying 4-5
Shattered I Waiting On A Friend 5-5

As a Tie breaker I use the b-side of Shattered:
Everything Is Turning To Gold I Neighbors 6-5

Some Girls wins by a narrow margin!

(And EITTG should have been on the Some Girls reissue!)

Pete.

Date: May 28, 2015 21:07

Pete66
Miss You I Start Me Up 0-1
When The Whip Comes Down I Hang Fire 1-1
Just My Imagination I Slave 1-2
Some Girls I Little T&A 2-2
Lies I Black Limousine 2-3
Faraway Eyes I Worried About You 2-4
Respectable I Tops 2-5
Before They Make Me Run I Heaven 3-5
Beast Of Burden I No Use In Crying 4-5
Shattered I Waiting On A Friend 5-5

As a Tie breaker I use the b-side of Shattered:
Everything Is Turning To Gold I Neighbors 6-5

Some Girls wins by a narrow margin!

(And EITTG should have been on the Some Girls reissue!)

Pete.

very astute! however i would like to appeal you decision on some girls vs little t&a. perhaps another listen would change your mind? i think you owe it to the stones to think hard about this matchup.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2015 21:11

My private conclusion in this match is this: In terms of good songs (hits or semi-hits) SG wins by a margin. Which is also recognizable in the band's setlists over the years.
But, TY is better produced and sounds fresher (thanks to Bob Clearmountain I guess) while SG sounds a bit dated. And, TY got the monsterhit SMU. Hits are always important.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: May 28, 2015 21:14

I just want to put my two cents worth in to let you all know how much I am enjoying these Album Death Match threads. Very fun to read! The best wars are those that the reveiwer struggles to select one song over another, and then attempts to justify the choice. The first thing that struck me is the huge number of great songs that the Stones have done. Great thread and great comments!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home