Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie's top 5 tips for young musicians, courtesy of NME
Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 15, 2015 04:13

Re: Ronnie's top 5 tips for young musicians, courtesy of NME
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2015 09:30

1. Attach yourself to a much bigger act.

2. Befriend the main guitarist in that act.

3. Hang on to that gig no matter what.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2015 09:59

Ronnie phrased it better. :E
And kinda reminds people that starting off with a band is supposed to be a good hard time.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 15, 2015 10:57

71Tele

exactly what came to my mind immediately after I saw this thread, but I'd like to add:

4. adopt similar drinking/drug taking habits as the main guitarist in the band (but try to stay sober enough to be able to play his parts when he drops out)

Date: May 15, 2015 11:11

It's hilarious to see how a man who made a name for himself by his guitar playing AND BY WRITING ROCK'N'ROLL HISTORY MATERIAL with the Faces and solo, before he joined the Stones, constantly gets trashed by his so-called fans.

It never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 15, 2015 13:09

DandelionPowderman
It's hilarious to see how a man who made a name for himself by his guitar playing AND BY WRITING ROCK'N'ROLL HISTORY MATERIAL with the Faces and solo, before he joined the Stones, constantly gets trashed by his so-called fans.

No truer words have ever been written....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:20

71Tele

Spot on. Make sure you have a similar haircut and size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-15 14:21 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 15, 2015 14:21

DandelionPowderman

Nor me confused smiley

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 15, 2015 15:15

I suspect many journalists now mistake Ronnie for keith and mick prefers to have his photo taken with Ronnie rather than keith. Ronnie is looking increasingly cool and glamourous these days. Keith is The Man for me but facts have to be faced ....

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 15, 2015 15:20

DandelionPowderman

I think Tele would object to being called a fan of Ronnie Wood's, so-called or otherwise.

Date: May 15, 2015 15:22

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

I think Tele would object to being called a fan of Ronnie Wood's, so-called or otherwise.

Oh, but he is, make no mistake about it.

Mention the Faces and Maggie May, and he will lighten up for sure smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 15, 2015 21:38

and play lots of instruments..

and do the artwork for the album cover ..

Date: May 16, 2015 01:55

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

I am a fan of his work with the Faces, but my post was exactly how I feel about his role in the Stones. He got the gig because he was a pal, and he became a Keith sidekick to the detriment of both his and the band's musical development, in my opinion. It does not diminish his previous accomplishments to say so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 01:59 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 16, 2015 04:11

DandelionPowderman

Agreed.

And the complaining actually says more about the people who complain, constantly, about the same things, saying the things, over and over, than it says about Ronnie.

Ronnie is a bonafide success, while the complainers are probably not, even in their own eyes.

Date: May 16, 2015 04:30

Leonioid
DandelionPowderman

Agreed.

And the complaining actually says more about the people who complain, constantly, about the same things, saying the things, over and over, than it says about Ronnie.

Ronnie is a bonafide success, while the complainers are probably not, even in their own eyes.

Sure, whatever you say.

I talk about the music: The good, the bad the ugly. I'm not a fanboy who has to believe that everything an artist does is great or beyond criticism. Some people take it extremely personally and appear very threatened when anything they like is criticized. Rather than offering a lucid opposing view that might actually enhance discussion, they react childishly in a knee-jerk fashion against anyone who dares to criticize any elemnt of something they like (in this case the Rolling Stones). Apparently, you're that type of person. That's fine, there have been many here before you of the same ilk. If you're not a 100% cheerleader, you can't be a "true" fan. Heard it all before. You are bringing nothing new to the debate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 04:33 by 71Tele.

Date: May 16, 2015 05:09

There is no debate. Ronnie is a success. It is a fact and some people mouth breathing the same insults over and over and over brings notthing new to the table.

Some see all posts, about anything, like this simple article about Ronnie as another opportunity to mouth breath insults towards Ronnie and/or this band... and then they get predictably indignant and overly emotional when anyone says a word about thier nonsense.

The pattern is very predictable and boring and brings nothing new to the table.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 16, 2015 05:24

Love Ronnie's work with both the Faces and Stones up till sometime in the early 80's, not sure exactly what happened or how to explain it, but something changed. Drugs and alcohol possibly, a level of comfort where he decided it wasn't necessary to do more exciting playing, Keith and Mick controlling his musical vision to the point it was extinguished? I wish I knew what it was but he just isn't as exciting to me anymore.

I think the Stones were best when they had someone pushing them ...Brian, Taylor, ALO, Jimmy Miller, Stu, et al all seemed to provide some level of that and the results were great. Ronnie probably isn't the pushing type and maybe that is what's missing.

Probably a bit late to even be thinking in those terms, but I've felt this way for a long time. Ronnie's tips are good but it's hard to take him too seriously, he's been on the gravy train for far too long. Successful and a legend to be sure but as a real contributor to the Stones music and success it certainly seems less clear cut.

peace

Date: May 16, 2015 07:03

Leonioid
There is no debate. Ronnie is a success. It is a fact and some people mouth breathing the same insults over and over and over brings notthing new to the table.

Some see all posts, about anything, like this simple article about Ronnie as another opportunity to mouth breath insults towards Ronnie and/or this band... and then they get predictably indignant and overly emotional when anyone says a word about thier nonsense.

Boo f u c k i n g hoo. Get over it. It's just a rock band. I'm not talking about your Mom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 07:04 by 71Tele.

Date: May 16, 2015 07:56

Some people always too busy boo-hooing and trying to
always make the threads about themselves, crying for attention...

No one listed Ronnie's 5 tips, here they are-

Make the music your own
Play hundreds of shows
Dream Big
Know your bandmates inside out
Keep a diary

Date: May 16, 2015 14:58

Leonioid
Some people always too busy boo-hooing and trying to
always make the threads about themselves, crying for attention...

No one listed Ronnie's 5 tips, here they are-

Make the music your own
Play hundreds of shows
Dream Big
Know your bandmates inside out
Keep a diary

Fair enough.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 16, 2015 22:42

71Tele
Leonioid

Boo f u c k i n g hoo. Get over it. It's just a rock band. I'm not talking about your Mom.

I think you also need to consider getting over it...MT left the band, they brought him back in a limited way and now he's gone.

Time to let it go.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 16, 2015 22:51

The absence of Mick Taylor on the next tour feels refreshing, imo. Almost any change is a good change when we are talking about the Stones.
Knowing I will never get to see Bobby Keys on stage again however makes me a bit sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-16 23:28 by EasterMan.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2015 01:00

EasterMan
The absence of Mick Taylor on the next tour feels refreshing, imo. Almost any change is a good change when we are talking about the Stones.
Knowing I will never get to see Bobby Keys on stage again however makes me a bit sad.

I agree with you on Bobby, but I don't see the reason in not including MT, so for me that is a bit annoying but obviously not controllable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home