Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Final Rumble in 1966 years Album Jungle
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 11, 2015 11:56

The 3 outstanding Giant albums from 1966 is:

Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde
The Beatles Revolver
The Rolling Stones Aftermath UK version

Points to deal with for each song/track: 1-3. May the best album win after the judges votes have been counted.

Track 1:
Rainy Day Women # 12 & 35: 1 (1)
Taxman: 3 (3)
Mothers Little Helper: 2 (2)

Track 2:
Pledging my Time: 1 (2)
Eleanor Rigby: 2 (5)
Stupid Girl: 3 (5)

Track 3:
Visions of Johanna: 2 (4)
I'm only Sleeping: 3 (8)
Lady Jane: 2 (7)

Track 4:
One of us must Know: 2 (6)
Love you To: 1 (9)
Under My thumb: 3 (10)

Track 5:
I want You: 3 (9)
Here, there and Everywhere: 1 (10)
Doncha Bother Me: 2 (12)

Track 6:
Stuck inside the mobile...: 3 (12)
Yellow Submarine: 1 (11)
Goin Home: 2 (14)

Track 7:
Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat: 2 (14)
She Said She Said: 3 (14)
Flight 505: 1 (15)

Track 8:
Just Like a Woman: 3 (17)
Good Day Sunshine: 1 (15)
High and Dry: 2 (17)

Track 9:
Most likely you go Your way: 1 (18)
And your bird can sing: 2 (17)
Out of Time: 3 (20)

Track 10:
Temporary like Achilles: 2 (20)
For No One: 3 (20)
It's not easy: 1 (21)

Track 11:
Absolutely Sweet Marie: 3 (23)
Doctor Robert: 2 (22)
I am Waiting: 1 (22)

Track 12:
4th Time Around: 2 (25)
I want to tell you: 1 (23)
Take it or Leave it: 3 (25)

Track 13:
Obviously 5 beleivers: 2 (27)
Got to get you into my Life: 1 24)
Think: 3 (28)

Track 14:
Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands: 2 29
Tomorrow Never Knows: 3 27
What To Do: 1 29

WOW! The Judges votes drew between Blonde and Aftermath!!!! I had all my Money on Revolver to be honest....

2 1 2 0

Re: The Final Rumble in 1966 years Album Jungle
Date: May 11, 2015 12:07

<Track 11:
Absolutely Sweet Marie: 3 (23)
Doctor Robert: 2 (22)
I am Waiting: 1 (22)>

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 11, 2015 13:50

What were people expecting? This is a Rolling Stones discussion forum. It's here all the Beatles-haters enjoy to be.

Culturally and musically, however, "Revolver" is still regarded as the most important of the three albums. Lyric-wise, it's "Blonde On Blonde". I higly doubt "Blonde On Blonde" as musically revolutionary, as it's based on american traditional music. "Revolver" had music created, that no-one had ever done or heard.
There is not much wrong with "Aftermath", but The Stones were just getting started as real songwriters and only bacame better later on.

Date: May 11, 2015 14:00

I love the Beatles, and I definitely love Revolver.

But Dr. Robert – the "clunker" on that album – is not on par with, or better than, I Am Waiting, not even close.

And there is no way telling Mick and Keith had barely started writing songs when listening to that track, imo, it sounds mature.

BTW, The Beatles had their influences, too. What (apart from the tape techniques, studio trickery and backwards-stuff) exactly hadn't we heard before – in classical music, by the Everly Brothers etc.?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 11, 2015 14:17

Where had people heard anything similar to "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "For No One"? I know I am in the minitory regarding "For No One", but I have yet to find anything sounding like that track. Go figue.
I know Beatles had their influences, and it can be heard. "Got To Get You Into My Life" is pure Motown. But we have to disagree on a track like "I Am Waiting". It sounds very un-mature and innocent and the songwriting-abbilities are not very developed. The Stones still had to learn a lot about writing songs at this point. It's still guitar-driven simple pop/rock based on 3 or 4 chords. And besides that, it is not very well produced either. Compare it to "Revolver" with it's multi-angled scope, it's production-skills, arrangements and songwriting. The Beatles were far-ahead at this point. There are those who just will not accept how much this band were ahead of the pack. Well, listen again. They topped on "Revolver". Maybe not songwriting-wise, but as creating individuals and innovators. Everything they did afterwards, was a form of repetition, good ones though. In 1967 a lot of other acts started to become dominating as well, Hendrix for one.

Date: May 11, 2015 14:30

I agree, the Beatles was indeed far-ahead when it comes to production.

The dynamics and arranging on I Am Waiting sound pretty mature in my book, though. The number of chords doesn't mean anything, imo. The tempo changes, the back up vocals toward the end is pretty clever, also production-wise.

And you're right about those tunes (TNK and FNO). Of course, the Beatles were pioneers, no doubt about that.

Credit where credit's due – but they didn't invent everything people give them credit for. That needs to be pointed out, too smiling smiley

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 11, 2015 14:40

What about "Pet Sounds"Some quartet of classic albums.We"el never see that again !!!!

Date: May 11, 2015 14:40

pike bishop
What about "Pet Sounds"Some quartet of classic albums.We"el never see that again !!!!

Brian had too much professional help? winking smiley

And, btw, the year after:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Doors
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Disreali Gears

Not a bad quartet, either?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-11 14:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 11, 2015 14:49

pike bishop

One song short with it's thirteen...tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 11, 2015 14:52

...but we can add Mother of Inventions double-album 'Freak Out' that got 14 songs, but does it has a fair chance against mentioned albums?

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1719
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home