Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Don Was: One Cool Dude!
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: June 1, 2011 00:29

I love Don Was, not only as a producer but as a person, he is one cool dude, and in my opinion fits the Stones perfectly! Can't wait for the next DW/MJ/KR collaboration!

Re: Don Was: One Cool Dude!
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 1, 2011 00:33

WOW! You better start ducking now!

Date: June 1, 2011 00:36

Shawn20
WOW! You better start ducking now!

That's OK I have skin like a Rhino! Actually more like that of Barney Fife! God have mercy on me!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 1, 2011 00:40

..yea' I've always thought he's one cool look'n dude to..but stonescrow he's not as cool as Mick yea'..Mick Jagger is cooler than cool..smoking smiley

Date: June 1, 2011 00:45

colonial
..yea' I've always thought he's one cool look'n dude to..but stonescrow he's not as cool as Mick yea'..Mick Jagger is cooler than cool..smoking smiley

Mick, Keith, (smoking smiley) and Don are all cool in my book! smoking smiley

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 1, 2011 03:19

You dodged a big one. I thought you were going to get roasted. Was, along with Chuck Levell is one of the most vilified of the Stones' entourage.

Date: June 1, 2011 04:50

Shawn20
You dodged a big one. I thought you were going to get roasted. Was, along with Chuck Levell is one of the most vilified of the Stones' entourage.

Could be a delayed response, I will stay undercover for awhile longer just to make sure the coast is clear.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 1, 2011 04:57

[url=

][/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-01 04:58 by uhbuhgullayew.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 1, 2011 05:19

probably one cool dude, but one hell of a bad choice for producing the stones----

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 1, 2011 05:38

colonial
colonial, how old are you?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 1, 2011 05:46

ineedadrink
colonial

ineedadrink..How old is ya' sister..smoking smiley

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 1, 2011 05:54

colonial
ineedadrink
colonial

ineedadrink..How old is ya' sister..smoking smiley
old enough to be your third cousin, twice removed.
don't deflect the question smiling smiley i'm just curious. not a difficult question!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 1, 2011 07:09

I don't know about colonial, but I'm old enough to know better...almost...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 2, 2011 00:56

Don Was is one of my favourite producers, too. But I would prefer a new Don Was / David Was / Sweet Pea Atkinson album over a new Don Was / Mick Jagger / Keith Richards album. David is a great lyricist and Sweet Pea is a great singer. And Mick is both.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 2, 2011 01:28

How did the Glimmer Twins find acceptable to work with the man who gave birth to this atrocity is beyond me...

I mean, only Desmond Child could have been a more rotten choice... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 3, 2011 13:10

guitarbastard
probably one cool dude, but one hell of a bad choice for producing the stones----

thumbs up

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: June 3, 2011 13:33

sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 23:22 by misterfrias.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 3, 2011 17:48

His production on Lucinda Williams' album Blessed is fantastic. It sounds warm and inviting and the guitars are recorded and mixed wonderfully.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 3, 2011 17:55

The Don Was detractors seem to believe that Rick Rubin or Jack White or Glyn Johns' kid could somehow convince Jagger and Richards to try harder and get better work out of them. I don't believe that is so. Any producer on a Stones session is just an employee for hire and can be told where to go. Mick put up with some crap from Rick Rubin during the WANDERING SPIRIT sessions but in the end reminded him who was in charge and overrode his authority. It doesn't really matter whether or not Rubin could have made Jagger do even better work had Jagger's ego allowed him to listen, the result is the same. The situation would be even worse on a Stones session where you have two egos who are even more volatile around one another than they are apart. The days when a Jimmy Miller was actually allowed to produce the band are long gone.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 3, 2011 18:11

Good Post Rocky !
i agree.
byeee
jeroen

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 3, 2011 23:19

stonescrow
I love Don Was, not only as a producer but as a person, he is one cool dude, and in my opinion fits the Stones perfectly! Can't wait for the next DW/MJ/KR collaboration!

I dig Don's work too.

Just curious here. Can you explain, in your opinion, how Was fits the Stones?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 3, 2011 23:25

Rocky Dijon
The Don Was detractors seem to believe that Rick Rubin or Jack White or Glyn Johns' kid could somehow convince Jagger and Richards to try harder and get better work out of them. I don't believe that is so. Any producer on a Stones session is just an employee for hire and can be told where to go. Mick put up with some crap from Rick Rubin during the WANDERING SPIRIT sessions but in the end reminded him who was in charge and overrode his authority. It doesn't really matter whether or not Rubin could have made Jagger do even better work had Jagger's ego allowed him to listen, the result is the same. The situation would be even worse on a Stones session where you have two egos who are even more volatile around one another than they are apart. The days when a Jimmy Miller was actually allowed to produce the band are long gone.

And even Jimmy Miller was given room for about 2 and a half albums, by Exile he was a shadow.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 4, 2011 00:15

NickB
His production on Lucinda Williams' album Blessed is fantastic. It sounds warm and inviting and the guitars are recorded and mixed wonderfully.

This is absolutely true. Maybe a bad choice for the Stones, but he's not a bad producer.

Date: June 4, 2011 00:21

Rocky Dijon

...and what about 'Charmed life'?

Date: June 4, 2011 00:24

texas fan
NickB

This is absolutely true. Maybe a bad choice for the Stones, but he's not a bad producer.

Stones sounds imo shouldn't be warm and inviting

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 4, 2011 15:35

KRiffhard
texas fan
NickB

Well, I get that -- I don't know if I agree, but it's a fair point. Anyway, I was not saying I want him to produce future Stones albums, just that he does a good job of finding the right sound for some artists.

Date: June 4, 2011 22:29

texas fan
KRiffhard
texas fan
NickB

Well, I get that -- I don't know if I agree, but it's a fair point. Anyway, I was not saying I want him to produce future Stones albums, just that he does a good job of finding the right sound for some artists.

Yeah I understand but I think Sticky Fingers and Exile sound warm and inviting and I guess with Voodoo Lounge that was what he was trying to achieve.....and almost did except for the quality of the songs...

NickB

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 4, 2011 22:35

Did somebody mention Rick Ruben? Now there's a guy who is WAY overrated IMHO.

Date: June 4, 2011 22:41

BluzDude
Did somebody mention Rick Ruben? Now there's a guy who is WAY overrated IMHO.

What and the Johnny Cash albums done with Rubin are crap because Rubin's in the chair? Cash couldn't have made those albums without Rick Rubin he certainly couldn't have made them with Don Was.

NickB

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 4, 2011 22:44

I never said Don was better than Rick.
Rick has done some great work, but he has also produced a number of crap too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-04 22:46 by BluzDude.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home