Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones and Jack White
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 30, 2011 17:35

I seem to remember Jack White saying that he'd like to get the Stones into the studio.

Anything ever come of this?

Re: Stones and Jack White
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2011 17:53

I hope so..................the Stones just needs some fresh air or blood coming to the studio

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 30, 2011 17:56

What has happen to the recording Keith did with Him? Hope they see the light of day.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 19:02

Good question, The answer might shed a light on whats really going on in Stonesland.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 30, 2011 19:06

only hope to get a decent stones album: jack on the producer seat!

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 30, 2011 19:17

They have a producer, his name is Don Was.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 30, 2011 20:23

He was the producer?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 30, 2011 22:40

They need some new blood. Jack White is probably just another pipe dream (like having Wyman or Taylor on the next album). The Stones have settled into a way of doing things and someone like White could shake that up a little.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 30, 2011 22:48

stonescrow

...and this is the problem

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:03

Tha 's indeed a very good question.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:08

Whether it is Jack White, or Jack Black, I'd like to see a new album with a new producer.

Don Was fine before...no so much now.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: May 31, 2011 05:47

Never understand the hype about Jack White.
His music is absolutely boring.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 31, 2011 06:03

rusty

Saw the White Stripes live in 2005. Most exciting guitar work I'd seen since seeing Zeppelin in the 70s.

Date: May 31, 2011 08:10

KRiffhard
stonescrow

Don is as good or better than any producer in the business, and damn cool on top of it, a perfect fit for the Stones. Can't wait to see what him and the Stones come up with next year when they hit the studio to record the new album.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 31, 2011 08:32

There was a terrific article on White in Time magazine a few weeks back regarding his record store/music company in Nashville, recording bands straight to vinyl. It's all analogue with him. Maybe the Stones should record in Nashville next.
Then again lots of people thought Steve Lillywhite was an inspired choice.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 31, 2011 13:20

stonescrow
KRiffhard
stonescrow

Don is as good or better than any producer in the business, and damn cool on top of it, a perfect fit for the Stones. Can't wait to see what him and the Stones come up with next year when they hit the studio to record the new album.

Rick Rubin or George Drakoulias are good producers. Don Was imo is a yes-man.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 31, 2011 13:24

Glimmer Twins .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 31, 2011 14:48

MingSubu
I seem to remember Jack White saying that he'd like to get the Stones into the studio.

Anything ever come of this?

No. They havent done any work as a band - with anyone - since he said it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 31, 2011 18:51

Probable release date august 2060
byeeee
jeroen

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 31, 2011 18:55

rusty

are you more into the kelly family? ;-)

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 31, 2011 19:02

Would love to see Jack White produce the Stones. A new producer would provide a nice kick in the arse that the band needs. The same old, same old has lead to some complacency I think...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 31, 2011 19:07

Jack Is

Don Was

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 31, 2011 19:54

I have no problem with Don Was continuing if there are further sessions. I don't blame him for any perceived drop in quality in recent years. I don't think Jack White would have any better luck than Rick Rubin did with Mick. Neither Jagger nor Richards are interested in listening to constructive criticism from anyone.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 31, 2011 21:19

Rockman
Glimmer Twins .....

Amen to that. Why did they ever stop producing their own records? This is a serious question. I wonder the same thing about Jimmy Page. When you're absolutely brilliant as a producer, why let anyone else produce your records?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 31, 2011 21:20

For the same reason a doctor should never check himself out.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 31, 2011 21:36

It was a contractual requirement that they use an outside producer as part of the CBS contract signed in 1983. John Branca got CBS to agree that any outside producer be an employee for hire of Promotone with The Glimmer Twins continuing in an executive capacity although CBS had final approval of the finished product (that includes mixes).

My best guess is that the same arrangement was presented to Virgin in 1991. Outside producers had certainly become the norm with only "special artists" trusted by labels to self-produce if there is big money at stake. Given the Stones' lengthy working schedules and the copious amounts of supplies that were charged back to insure everyone stay inspired, one can appreciate why CBS wished to protect their $28 million investment by insisting on an outside producer.

The other factor is that the general lack of harmony between the Glimmers professionally made such a decision almost inevitable. I believe the current contract with Universal for the back catalog with select archival releases and newly-recorded material specifies Don Was as overseeing any newly-released or recorded material.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 31, 2011 21:43

Rocky Dijon
Outside producers had certainly become the norm with only "special artists" trusted by labels to self-produce if there is big money at stake.

Wow. You'd think that Jagger 'n Richards' track record of enormous success would be enough to ensure complete artistic freedom.

It makes sense though that their fractious relationship would make co-producing difficult.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: May 31, 2011 22:43

I don't like Jack White. I was suprised that he was considered in a similar level in the film "Play it loud" to both Jimmy Page and The Edge. Both Page and Edge have reconizable sound and have contributed to the history of music, but Jack White makes only noise...nothing new.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 31, 2011 22:51

24FPS
They need some new blood. Jack White is probably just another pipe dream (like having Wyman or Taylor on the next album). The Stones have settled into a way of doing things and someone like White could shake that up a little.

True. Moreover he'd expect them to play and record in a professional and disiplined fashion. I don't see it happening. Rather, we're likely to get Return to Bridges To Babylon, if we get anything at all,

Date: May 31, 2011 22:59

KRiffhard
stonescrow
KRiffhard
stonescrow

Rick Rubin or George Drakoulias are good producers. Don Was imo is a yes-man.

Well, it's going to be tough for any producer when it comes to the Stones, a real balancing act, trying to work with (and around) some pretty massive egos. Don is the best man for the task ahead, although you can bet he is going to be tested to the limits.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home