Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nick Kent on Keef's "Life" (before it was written)
Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 26, 2011 06:56

From "Apathy For The Devil":

"Whilst writing this book, I was contacted by James Fox, who's actually writing Keith Richard's forthcoming autobiography, and sat down with him one afternoon to share my memories of the great man during his vampire years. Apparently Keith has only the dimmest recollection of what transpired in the seventies. It figures."

Re: Nick Kent on Keef's "Life" (before it was written)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2011 07:50

........yeah same here ...... Mum!!! what's me middle name again????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 26, 2011 16:26

Nick Kent's probably talking about himself! The Sex Pistols documentary THE FILTH AND THE FURY includes a fairly lengthy 70's interview clip of Nick Kent talking leaning against a wall with his eyes closed the entire time. A bizarre moment. I've seen inteview clips of Keith stoned, but he was never that bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-26 16:28 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 26, 2011 17:00

Nick Kent = Bellend

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 26, 2011 17:30

vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

Along with Charles Shaar Murray and Roy Carr, Nick Kent was one of the pioneers of serious rock journalism, as opposed to those who just rehashed the press releases.

You should justify your statement.

Date: May 26, 2011 17:44

Elmo
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

Along with Charles Shaar Murray and Roy Carr, Nick Kent was one of the pioneers of serious rock journalism, as opposed to those who just rehashed the press releases.

It's just my opinion based on what I've read by him and what I've heard about him.
I prefer journalists to report rather than make things up.

I feel the same about Shaar Murray too, I also think he's a bellend. I do not know enough of roy carrs work to comment on him.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 26, 2011 18:03

Well Vudicus, everyone can be a bellend at times. Nick Kent got a lot of music biz people riled up in the seventies, I think because he had a tendency to really try and get to the heart of the matter even if it meant painting unfavourable pictures, rather than just concentrating on flowery prose or sycophantic glorifying of whatever the flavour of the month happened to be at the time.

That he got attacked by Sid Vicious (the most famous outpouring of hate towards him) says more about what bellends Sid and Malcolm Mclaren were, imo.

The fact is he was actually there hanging out with those people (Keith, David Bowie, Led Zep etc). He was even the guitarist in the Sex pistols for a while before they 'took off' - so I reckon he's a relatively reliable source. As reliable as Keith anyway given that he was probably as wasted, all be it not as elegantly.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 26, 2011 20:44

I like Kent's writing well enough but he is definitely known for playing fast and loose with the truth.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 26, 2011 20:55

vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

I suppose he was still a bellend when he had good things to say about the Stones? Don't take the quote out of context - you have to read the whole book. That said, why would he lie about it when everyone knows it's true (including Keef's own admission)?

Date: May 26, 2011 21:19

MJG196
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

I suppose he was still a bellend when he had good things to say about the Stones? Don't take the quote out of context - you have to read the whole book. That said, why would he lie about it when everyone knows it's true (including Keef's own admission)?

My opinion is not based on this quote and I have not said that it is a lie.
I also don't care one bit if he likes the stones or not.
I happen to think the guy was a Bellend long before he had negative things to say about the Stones. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: May 26, 2011 21:36

vudicus
Elmo
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

It's just my opinion based on what I've read by him and what I've heard about him.

I feel the same about Shaar Murray too, I also think he's a bellend. I do not know enough of roy carrs work to comment on him.

What you've heard about him is irrelevant here because that's someone else's opinion. What have you read by Nick Kent or CSM to justify your opinion and how do you justify questionning what he says when he was there and you and I were not.

Date: May 26, 2011 21:44

Elmo
vudicus
Elmo
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

What you've heard about him is irrelevant here because that's someone else's opinion. What have you read by Nick Kent or CSM to justify your opinion and how do you justify questionning what he says when he was there and you and I were not.

Aproximately 80,000 people were there at Wembley staduim during "She's So Cold", funny how Kent saw Keith deck Woody and no one else did.
Just one example of this credible journalist.

Personally I like journalists who report things, not create things. You make up stories then what's the point? to sell a book? to seem important? to make people jealous of your experiences? I think the guy is full of shit with Zero talent, just another leech.

You like him, I don't. I really don't see why I have jo justify my reasons to you because you don't agree with me. I'm sure there are many people that you dislike that I have great respect for. I don't need you to give me reasons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 20:27 by vudicus.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 27, 2011 01:57

vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

Just a language question from this Dutchie. What does "Bellend" mean ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 27, 2011 02:10

Rolling Hansie
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

it's british slang for penis tip (Glans penis)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-27 02:10 by vudicus.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 27, 2011 02:59

vudicus
it's british slang for penis tip (Glans penis)

LOL thanks. In Dutch we would say "eikel"

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 27, 2011 06:51

Elmo
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

You're kidding, right?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 27, 2011 07:08

>Aproximately 80,000 people were there at Wembley staduim during "She's So Cold", funny how Kent saw Keith deck Woody and no one else did.

Was he the one that wrote about Keith bribing someone to strand Mick on the cherry picker in '82 while Keith played a 20-minute solo? That's one boot I need to hear.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 27, 2011 07:27

Anyone read his book THE DARK SIDE? It's been highly recommended to me by someone I respect but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 11:02

Glam Descendant
Anyone read his book THE DARK SIDE? It's been highly recommended to me by someone I respect but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

You mean THE DARK STUFF probably. I got it out of my library a few years ago, and read some pieces in it. It has some Stones stuff, but what I remember most from it was Kent's opinion that Kurt Cobain was kind of fraudulent and overrated (which I kind of agree with). And in another piece poor sad Brian Wilson is told "Paul McCartney wants you to know that he thinks God Only Knows is the greatest song ever written." And rather than just feel pleased with the compliment, Wilson obsesses anxiously with the thought, "If it's the greatest song ever written, I'll probably never write a better one!" Being destroyed by a compliment!

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: May 27, 2011 12:54

The Dark Stuff by Nick Kent is one of the 3 best books on rock'n'roll ever written (up there with Lester Bangs and Nik Cohn). His biog Apathy For The Devil is also well worth a read (much Stones content).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2011 14:32

vudicus

Personally I like journalists who report things, not create things. You make up stories then what's the point? to sell a book? to seem important? to make people jealous of your experiences? I think the guy is full of shit with Zero talent, just another leech.

Indeed!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 27, 2011 16:30

Rolling Hansie
vudicus
Nick Kent = Bellend

Rolling Hansie, I too have learned a new word from this thread.
(And I've been British for over 60 years - maybe I've just led a sheltered life!)

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 17:58

I have The Dark Stuff. I really enjoyed it. I find Kent a very entertaining read, although as others have said, fast and loose with the facts sometimes.

So let me get this straight, basically a bellend is a dickhead?

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 27, 2011 18:04

Tumblin_Dice_07
I have The Dark Stuff. I really enjoyed it. I find Kent a very entertaining read, although as others have said, fast and loose with the facts sometimes.

A bellend presupposes circumcision, surely, whereas a dickhead doesn't?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2011 18:49

Tumblin_Dice_07

Yes!

Date: May 27, 2011 19:30

Glam Descendant
>Aproximately 80,000 people were there at Wembley staduim during "She's So Cold", funny how Kent saw Keith deck Woody and no one else did.

Was he the one that wrote about Keith bribing someone to strand Mick on the cherry picker in '82 while Keith played a 20-minute solo? That's one boot I need to hear.

I think the "Story" goes that Keith hijacked the cherry picker and did the "20 minute" solo on it. Either way, it never happened. Funny that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home