Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Van Halen live
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 31, 2015 07:39

Anybody watch Van Halen on Jimmy Kimmel Live? I don't think David lee Roth sang one note on key or on time. Pretty sad......

Re: OT - Van Halen live
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:16

Missed it but not surprised about Roth. I guess Eddie's back in shape but unfortunately I don't think he's improved much since the early 80's. Definitely blew me away in 1978 but after 30+ years he seems to play the same old now tired licks...I guess we can't all be Jeff Beck.

peace

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:23

I was there.

Dave busted his nose twirling the mic stand on the first song. The band broke into Jazz Oddysey while he had it taped up offstage. Came back out with visible blood and they took it over from the top.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 31, 2015 14:14

Here's a link from DIME for last nights show, pretty strange!smiling smiley

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Van Halen
Jimmy Kimmel Live
03-30-15
Hollywood,CA

Panama,Runnin With The Devil,& Dance The Night Away 24:09

2.01 GB

MPEG-TS
1280 x 720p progressive (16 X 9)
59 Frames Sec
11.5 kbps

Dolby AC-3
6 Channel
384 kbps
48.0 khz

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 31, 2015 15:19

More Hot Rocks
Anybody watch Van Halen on Jimmy Kimmel Live? I don't think David lee Roth sang one note on key or on time. Pretty sad......

Pretty sure Dave broke / fractured or bruised the hell out of his nose. Kinda impossible to sing in key when that air pathway is hurting or injured.

CBII

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 01:52

Been a huge VH fan since the beginning. DLR's current vocals are a very polarizing topic amongst VH fans. Big difference singing now in your early 60's versus back in your late 20's. The current VH sound misses Mike Anthony's harmony vocals. Seems like DLR is singing in a higher key to help compensate. I wish he would just sing the songs like he sang on the album.
Eddie is sounding great these days. Alex is always steady and Wolf is competent on bass and not bad on vocals although he can't sing the high parts like Mike did.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 1, 2015 01:53

Just got the new cd in the post box today...sounds real good to theses ears!!!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 1, 2015 03:10

DLR was never a good singer live. A showman at best

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: April 1, 2015 06:17

that's just the thing, the guy is an entertainer, showman but definitely not a vocalist at all. he's a mess, his timing is awful and he really can hardly sing these songs. the band is still very tight, i just don't understand why he's so loose trying to sing these songs. although, i saw some classic footage from '81 and '83 and he was just as sloppy, forgetting words, offbeat, etc.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 09:17

Back in the 80's, I think in every show he would say "I forgot the F'n words" during some song. All part of the act. Back then he could scream louder and jump higher than anyone else. Look at his leap on the back cover of Diver Down. Unfortunately he can't do that anymore.
Bought the live album today. His vocals are actually better than I thought they would be. Still, on songs like Dance The Night Away and Jump, I wish he would sing the vocals like he did on the studio version, not sing it in a higher key and ruining it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2015 10:42

Bloody awful band!

Mathijs

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 1, 2015 11:11

Mathijs
Bloody awful band!

Mathijs

Bloody typical IORR member comment on a non-Rolling Stones related band.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 1, 2015 11:33

EVH seems to be in a good shape! I remember reading a Hagar interview where he couldn't say enough bad things about him, pretty sad.

On YT now : [www.youtube.com]

Oh and someone (over?) analyzed the incident : [www.youtube.com] !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-01 11:39 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 1, 2015 12:43

LieB
Mathijs
Bloody awful band!

Mathijs

Bloody typical IORR member comment on a non-Rolling Stones related band.

Nope, it was a bloody typical IORR member comment about an awful American show band.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 1, 2015 13:23

what a hater !

Date: April 1, 2015 14:18

TheGreek
what a hater !

Who? David Lee Roth?

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 1, 2015 14:56

your comment was "bloody awful band"

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 1, 2015 15:01

No interest in band don't comment haters

Date: April 1, 2015 15:17

WOWSA....David Lee is Ba Ba Ba BAADDDDDDDDDD

Saw them in 78 also. And several times after. They were great!

But not now....Put a fork in David Lee he is done.

A Burnt Bird.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 1, 2015 15:31

DGA35
Back in the 80's, I think in every show he would say "I forgot the F'n words" during some song. All part of the act. Back then he could scream louder and jump higher than anyone else. Look at his leap on the back cover of Diver Down. Unfortunately he can't do that anymore.
Bought the live album today. His vocals are actually better than I thought they would be. Still, on songs like Dance The Night Away and Jump, I wish he would sing the vocals like he did on the studio version, not sing it in a higher key and ruining it.

Actually the back cover of Diver Down is from the 1981 Stones show in Orlando. I think you mean the debut album.

Either way, I love Dave much more than Hagar although his voice isn't what it once was.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 1, 2015 16:24

DGA35

Yeah, plenty of examples of 'comical' 'impromptu' comments from past tours.

Saw them on Diver Down and 1984, great shows, but DLR seems like a self parody these days with the dance moves, leg kicks, and goofy faces.

Don't most singers as they age sing things in a lower key? Seems a bit odd he's trying to go higher.

Date: April 1, 2015 16:45

black n blue

No interest in threads about a bloody awfull band on a Stones forum.

Mathijs

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:30

Elmo Lewis
DGA35

Actually the back cover of Diver Down is from the 1981 Stones show in Orlando. I think you mean the debut album.

Either way, I love Dave much more than Hagar although his voice isn't what it once was.

Agree about Dave live, but he still does pretty well in-studio. Van Halen's last album was much closer to peak VH than the Stones have come to peak Stones in a long, long time. They took the route that the Stones should have explored, a little old, a little new.

Date: April 1, 2015 17:38

StonesCat
Elmo Lewis
DGA35

Agree about Dave live, but he still does pretty well in-studio. Van Halen's last album was much closer to peak VH than the Stones have come to peak Stones in a long, long time. They took the route that the Stones should have explored, a little old, a little new.

Weren't most of the songs old outtakes that they touched up? Could explain that.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:40

Eddie was really smiling a lot and having a ball. As amazing as ever on guitar. DLR did a great job too for me. As a unit they did great! I don't get all the criticism of DLR vocals.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 1, 2015 17:56

They can cover for Roth in the studio, but man does he sound bad live. Eddie and Alex sound great, but I still can't get over Michael Anthony being involved. His absence is huge.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 1, 2015 18:34

I think they sound like shit live now. Really just Dave. Its not bad when you're at the shows, but its glaringly clear when you're seeing them on TV or with any pro-audio. His voice is just terrible.

Here's the thing though: he was ALWAYS like this. Part of the fun was the show. And what's amazing is at 60 he's still EXACTLY like he used to be. Whether thats a good or a bad thing is to be determined. But the bottom line is you get exactly the type of show you want and expect from DLR Van Halen these days, and thats pretty cool. Eddie is in top form.

And on top of that, the way Dave handled this situation was extremely classy. For someone that is such a dick all the time (as part of his act and just having an ego the size of Texas), I was truly shocked at how great handled this incident. The whole band too but Dave in particular. For a band this big, they could have been divas, and they weren't at all. Although maybe thats my inner Guns N Roses fan coming out and knowing if this happened to Axl the show would have been over and done with. I'm in no way endorsing Van Halen's current touring (I don't think they sound good live and they are the definition of a band that has nowhere to go at this point), but the bottom line is they deliver exactly what you expect from them if you've never seen them and its one of the more fun nostalgia trips.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:03

Mathijs
black n blue

No interest in threads about a bloody awfull band on a Stones forum.

Mathijs

But yet you have to comment.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 1, 2015 19:34

Great band. Love Diamond Dave

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: April 1, 2015 22:36

They are a shell of their former selves.

Background vocals are fake and are most likely muffled, pre-recorded Michael Anthony, a guy Ed forced to sign away his royalties. Wolfie is a walrus and has no stage presence.

I think this upcoming tour, which I doubt will last a month, will be the end of them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home