Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Gene Simmons - U2, Stones use backing tracks at gigs
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:41

I believe it is well documented that U2 does this, or at least has another musician under the stage. Don't think this is true for our boys.

[www.nme.com]

Re: Gene Simmons - U2, Stones use backing tracks at gigs
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:43

Gene is correct. The Stones use a backing tracking for the samba rhythm during "Sympathy For The Devil." Can't argue that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:46

Jimmy C
I believe it is well documented that U2 does this, or at least has another musician under the stage. Don't think this is true for our boys.

[www.nme.com]

Simmons is not totally wrong. He mentions "samples on drums" as an example, and it is probably "Sympathy For The Devil" on target there.

Anyway, is that really such a big deal to call them "dishonest"? He is just making noise, and is promoting his own band...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: KennedyLetsWork ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:48

Blonde Chaplin.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:51

Agreed on him promoting his own band. Plus the irony of him accusing bands of being dishonest while two guys in his current band pretend to be Ace and Peter by dressing just like them must be completely lost on him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 26, 2015 21:55

As much as I take most of what Gene Simmons has to say with a grain of salt, he does have a point. I've never been a fan of hidden musicians and backing tracks or sampled drums. I'd rather hear the output from the musicians on stage. Bring a few more out for songs that require more instrumentation.

peace

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 26, 2015 22:01

The sensational headline doesn't reflect the content.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 26, 2015 22:28

Hopefully they only use on Sympathy - though even there I prefer they use none.

LIVE should be LIVE.

I doubt they use backtrack tracks elsewhere as they are so sloppy they could not keep up with the on-time track...Jaggers change vocals, Keith's missed riffs, Ronnie's smoke breaks with missed notes.

Sloppy but we like it.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2015 00:17

Back-up vocals from Lisa / Bernard even when they are not on stage.

Probably less now, when both Daryll and Chuck do the singing as well.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 27, 2015 00:27

So...KISS uses imposters (Ace & Peter look-a-likes) to rake in millions...Gene is a dIck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 00:28 by shadooby.

Date: March 27, 2015 00:59

mtaylor
Back-up vocals from Lisa / Bernard even when they are not on stage.

Probably less now, when both Daryll and Chuck do the singing as well.

That has to do with the show/scenography, not backing tracks. They are singing live smiling smiley

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 01:27

He is right.... The Stones do! God that drum track on SFTD sounds so shit. The thought of having to sit through a modern version of that song is what kept me away from their last tour. Talk about lacking in any inspiration.

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: March 27, 2015 01:29

flacnvinyl
The sensational headline doesn't reflect the content.

I agree, a lot of journalists now days try to say ridiculous things in their headlines to make their articles go viral and be posted on sites like this.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 27, 2015 01:54

What about the opening of Gimme Shelter at the the Twick 2003 it sure sounds like it but Im no expert. NO matter what I love that version at almost 9 minutes

Date: March 27, 2015 01:58

virgil
What about the opening of Gimme Shelter at the the Twick 2003 it sure sounds like it but Im no expert. NO matter what I love that version at almost 9 minutes

A backing track played while they walked from the b-stage.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 27, 2015 02:01

DandelionPowderman
virgil

A backing track played while they walked from the b-stage.

Thanks DP thats what I thought.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: March 27, 2015 02:22

Twice I have noticed sound coming from non visible players at Stones shows. Having not so good seats somewhat behind the stage in Chicago, I could see Blondie playing from behind the stage speakers with one foot on the stage while dressed in all black. He was not meant to be seen but must have been covering for Keith. Another was early in the concert, 2nd song, when only the core musicians were on stage but Lisa and possibly Benard could be heard filling in vocals. Bridges, No Security or ABB shows. Im ok with overdubs like Love You Live bit this-what gives, dishonest?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 27, 2015 02:27

The intro backing track to Sympathy encourages the premature crowd participation with the "Whoo-Whoo!".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 27, 2015 02:33

Gene must loathe DJs then. Didn't his son DJ on one of those episodes of Family Jewels?

I think the real issue is that Gene is just jealous that other bands have good enough material that they can actually feel comfortable using as backing tracks.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: March 27, 2015 02:57

He just jealous cause he's got the second most famous tongue in rock.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 06:16

Yeah and the Who used backing tracks 40 years ago so suck it Gene your band is a gimmick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 06:18 by TravelinMan.

Date: March 27, 2015 06:23

TravelinMan
Yeah and the Who used backing tracks 40 years ago so suck it Gene your band is a gimmick

just my opinion but every band that made it is a gimmick of some sort. the stones original gimmick was allowing to be labeled as the anti beatles.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 27, 2015 08:18

keefriffhard4life
TravelinMan

just my opinion but every band that made it is a gimmick of some sort. the stones original gimmick was allowing to be labeled as the anti beatles.

hey! we piss anywhere man!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 09:49

Hey Gene, just listening to Beth on KISS Alive 2. Peter sings along to a backing track, unless, of course, you have a pianist, violinist and horn section on stage! Peter sings my 2 favorite KISS songs, Beth and Hard Luck Woman.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 27, 2015 10:45

On the subject of the 2 new guys in KISS. Their plan is to have new members take over so the band could continue endlessly. Some things I don't like about Gene, but basically he makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe it's his boldness or take on reality that bothers some people? Just a thought.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 27, 2015 11:14

The samples on Sympathy from 1989 onwards totally ruin the song. Apart from the b-stage walk I do not know on which song backing tracks are used. Certainly on 2000 Lightyears, but the 2013 version was lightyears bettet than the one from 1989/90.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 27, 2015 11:51

Backing tracks on 2000LYFH? No, don't think so. In think it's Chuck and, in 1990/1991, other keyboard players, as one can see in "At The Max", I think.

I don't mind backing tracks or hidden musicians at all. I prefer extra musicians on stage, thought.

I think that "Sympathy" would benefit greatly if the percussion would be played live by 1-3 extra players on stage.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 27, 2015 12:21

gene is becoming senile . hey gene go sell your crap and count your money .jerk

Date: March 27, 2015 12:27

windmelody
The samples on Sympathy from 1989 onwards totally ruin the song. Apart from the b-stage walk I do not know on which song backing tracks are used. Certainly on 2000 Lightyears, but the 2013 version was lightyears bettet than the one from 1989/90.

It seeems they are EQ'ed a little higher in frequency vs. subsequent years. Nowadays you hear the samples mixed better with the live drums, in particular the snare on beats 2 and 4.
2000 Light years would haveMatt Clifford on stage i think doing some of the mellotron parts as well.

U2 on some songs did have a crew member underneath the stage but playing keyboards. Sometimes Edge's guitar would trigger synth/string sounds

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 27, 2015 12:40

I only remember the cow bell sample on HTW, somewhat on Doom and Gloom and the drum sample on SFTD - that's all I think, and it is so obvious that one can't call it dishonest - but it is a shame, Stones music should be entirely hand-made. I agree with windmelody that the samples on SFTD ruin the song totally.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home