Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The drug in the Rolling Stones' song Mother's Little Helper
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 25, 2015 01:50

An online article claims to identify the drug referred to in the Rolling Stones' song Mother's Little Helper, as Miltown (meprobamate), but these pills are white, where the song refers to "a little yellow pill" and in 1966 many say that valium came in yellow-colored pills.

So is the article correct or incorrect? Is the "little yellow pill" actually valium instead?

From the UK Aftermath album and a top 10 single (#8) in the U.S. in 1966.

Article at: [io9.com]

Re: The drug in the Rolling Stones' song Mother's Little Helper
Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 01:53

I always thought they were referring to Valium 5mg, which is yellow, and was heavily prescribed to busy housewives at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-25 01:55 by gypsy18.

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 02:01

It turns out that Miltown was replaced by benzos (Valium, Xanax, and other muscle relaxants in the benzodiazepine family)in the 1960's.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 25, 2015 03:18

gypsy18
It turns out that Miltown was replaced by benzos (Valium, Xanax, and other muscle relaxants in the benzodiazepine family)in the 1960's.

Don't think Xanax was introduced until the 70's but I agree that Valium was probably the drug Mick was referring to.

I've heard addiction people comment that benzo's are much harder to get off than heroin. I recall someone saying they could get anyone off heroin in a couple months but it often took a year or more with benzos. Nasty stuff man.

peace

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 03:37

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 04:50 by camper88.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 12:19

The little yellow pill in Mothers Little Helper (1966) is definitely valium which was prescribed by doctors in Britain in the 60's for stress,anxiety and a muscle relaxant and at that time mainly to women.
This little yellow pill was dished out by doctors with frequency at 15 to 50mgs daily and did more damage than good. This drug in dozes over 15mg had a zombiefying effect and the user also ran the risk of drug dependency for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 25, 2015 12:30

It's Valium.

Date: March 25, 2015 12:32

stonehearted
An online article claims to identify the drug referred to in the Rolling Stones' song Mother's Little Helper, as Miltown (meprobamate), but these pills are white, where the song refers to "a little yellow pill" and in 1966 many say that valium came in yellow-colored pills.

So is the article correct or incorrect? Is the "little yellow pill" actually valium instead?

From the UK Aftermath album and a top 10 single (#8) in the U.S. in 1966.

Article at: [io9.com]

I always thought it was valium. Totally without any empirical facts to back it up, of course smiling smiley

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: March 25, 2015 13:32

I would say valium. Came on the market in 63 and they were (small) yellow pills from 2 mg to 10 mg. Love the song and it is still up to date. Brians sitar is hypnoticsmiling smiley

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 25, 2015 13:59

Yellow ,5mg,Valium....

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 15:17

Ah, the days when you could buy cocaine and heroin over the counter. The free market at work!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 25, 2015 15:47

Valium, and very addictive if you don't watch it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home