Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Best Stones compilation ?
Posted by: Keorl ()
Date: February 7, 2015 21:55

Hi,

I like the Rolling Stones since I played Paint it Black in guitar hero (not the best way to discover a band I guess). Recently bought Stripped (1995 live album) after finding it in a big discounted cd tray.

Now I want more.

Usually when I listen to a band, I buy all studio albums and no compilations/singles/live ... but in the case of the Stones, 24 (29 counting us/uk versions) are too many for the money I want to spend and the time I'll have to listen to them. Saw that a box was released with the last 14 albums but it costs as much as buying 24 albums separately :'(

Which is why I think that I'll go for a compilation, hence the question in the title : which one is the best ? There're as many as albums ! (24 according to wikipedia discography).
Should I buy the last one (3 CDs) => Grrr! ? Is it missing very nice/important songs ? Or do you recommend another one ?

Thank you

Re: Best Stones compilation ?
Date: February 7, 2015 22:05

For someone who seems fairly new to the band I would suggest the double album "Hot Rocks" at first. The Stones have a huge catalog; several major eras in their long career. there is no one album that dores them justice. If you end up loving them you will have to get all 24 (more?) albums.
"Hot Rocks" only reaches up to '72, but it has a very good sense of history, and tells a major part of their story.

Album like "Grrr" is too concentrated on Big Hits. Just my opinion.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 7, 2015 22:28

More Hot Rocks delves a little deeper, though.

Date: February 7, 2015 22:29

I saw that Grrr! has lots of versions : 40 tracks, 50 tracks, 80 tracks, blu-ray (50 tracks), vinyl ....
Unfortunately the 80 tracks is nowhere to be found (or costs an arm and a leg).

The 50 tracks version contains all Hot Rocks tracks but 3 (Mother's little helper, Let's spend the night together, Midnight rambler) so I guess it's ok to start with it ?
I'll probably buy the blu ray version.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 7, 2015 22:43

To date, Grrr! is probably the best place to start for the money. Hot Rocks is the greatest hits collection that probably most of us on the board -- those over 40 at least -- first heard.

Grrr! as you say, covers most of Hot Rocks and then the whole rest of the history, though Midnight Rambler is a fantastic song.

Lifers will tell you that the hits from the later era just aren't as fabulous as the earlier stuff.

But welcome to the world of the Stones! You've a got a lifetime of enjoyment coming.

T@3

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 7, 2015 22:48

Keorl
The 50 tracks version contains all Hot Rocks tracks but 3 (Mother's little helper, Let's spend the night together, Midnight rambler) so I guess it's ok to start with it ?
I'll probably buy the blu ray version.

Let's Spend the Night Together is included on the 50-tracks version. IMHO, it's a very good compilation for those who are now discovering the Stones. After this, if you like it, you can start your own collection with all the main albums.

Date: February 7, 2015 23:08

So it's decided, I'll buy Grrrr! And since the Blu Ray version isn't more expensive than the 3-cd version, I'll go for Blu ray :-) (it will be my first audio BR)

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-07 23:09 by Keorl.

Date: February 8, 2015 01:15

Welcome to IORR, Keorl! Glad you've decided to get GRRR! on Blu-Ray, let us know how the quality is!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 8, 2015 01:43

The original vinyl of Through The Past Darkly.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 8, 2015 01:55

As much as I hate to admit it...GRRR!!!

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: February 8, 2015 02:04

I still refuse to buy Grrr because of the It's Only Rock and Roll edit....for some reason it really annoys me....

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 8, 2015 02:31

I am following the consensus. Like so many others, I started with the wonderful Hot Rocks. 40 Licks did a fine job of representing 4 decades in two discs, but GRRR (stupid title aside) is a solid, comprehensive retrospect. The 50 track version is a fine entry point.

Date: February 8, 2015 04:22

shadooby
As much as I hate to admit it...GRRR!!!

That's very much my attitude too. Looking over the songlist for 'Grr' I see that it does delve pretty deep, in the right way. I was seeing Grr more like another '40 Licks'. What I dont like about Grrr is just that it is a product of this late-late-late era Stones: the Stones that photo shops Bill out of pictures; the one that edits songs like "Hot Stuff", "Beast of Burden", Fool to Cry", IORR"'.

I would still recommend "Hot Rocks" and then after a few weeks "More Hot Rocks" for a true new Stonesfan. Especially someone who came to them via "Stripped"; i.e. someone who gets it.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 8, 2015 04:42

Everyone should start with Hot Rocks, after 43 years is still the best selling album every week, even made de Billboard 200 again this year during January.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2015 04:45

The UK BIG HITS (High Tide Green Grass) even though released some 8 months after the US BIG HITS it carried 14 tracks instead of 11 and a way way better track line-up

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-08 05:27 by Rockman.

Date: February 8, 2015 05:26

My first Stones album I ever heard was 'Hot Rocks,' really good one, but I guess with GRRR!, you get more for your buck.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: February 8, 2015 05:28

I was a new fan in the mid 80's. My first album was rewind 71-84. Next one Rolled Gold then followed with great studio albums. I was totally blown away and have been a Stones obsessive ever since.
Grr would be a good start (although I find some remixes irritating) Enjoy once you become a true Stones fan it is for life nothing else comes close.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 8, 2015 15:13

It has to be Rolled Gold, surely? That is, if the curious wish to solely focus on their 1963-71 golden-era, first.

Date: February 8, 2015 19:21

Around And Around
Rolled Gold
The Rest Of The Best
The Rolling Stones In Concert (Ya Yas and GLIYWI)
Rewind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-09 00:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 8, 2015 19:43

HOT ROCKS 1964-1971 is excellent.

JUMP BACK is what I would recommend second, mainly because what they released post 1989 is not worth getting on the pathetic GRRRR. You can find REWIND 1971-1984 (although it's actually 1983) used, that's a great one. Avoid FORTY LICKS. Mainly because disc 2 has 4 tracks on it that are not classics. They left off too many good songs in place of 4 new songs that are not very good.

Other comps that are awesome to have are SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and MADE IN THE SHADE and MORE HOT ROCKS.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 8, 2015 22:07

If we are talking about starters.

For those, who do not mind remasters I would suggest combination
Rolled Gold + [ABKCO Records – 5303281] for pre 71 material and Jump Back (The Best Of The Rolling Stones '71 - '93) [Virgin - CDV 2726]. Those sounds good and are not overprocessed.

For "warm sounding" one should pick
Hot Rocks 1 [London 820 141-2] and Hot Rocks 2 [London 820 142-2], West Germany pressings for pre 71 material and Rewind 1971-1984 [CBS 450199-2]. Austrian pressings of Rewind are cheap and easy to find.

GRRR!!! is good in terms of track list but is mastered way too loud and compressed.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 8, 2015 23:09

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 8, 2015 23:21

Come On

Amen!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 9, 2015 01:09

Grrrr is a good way to discover the Stones. Overly compressed or not, it's good enough for finding out what styles or eras of the Stones you like the most, and then try other albums.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2015 01:39

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Welcome to IORR, Keorl! Glad you've decided to get GRRR! on Blu-Ray, let us know how the quality is!

GRRR! Blu Ray is fantastic. Good Place to start.

Buy that, then these albums...Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Some Girls and Tattoo You.

That should do you for a long time.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2015 01:47

Yep Keorl, GRRR! is probably the best compact solution. If you, after that, are going for original albums I would advice you to buy The Big Four (Beggars B, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile)
and, maybe, top that with the live album Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out and Some Girls and Tattoo You and you're done.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 9, 2015 03:52

"It has to be Rolled Gold, surely? That is, if the curious wish to solely focus on their 1963-71 golden-era, first."

I have Rolled Gold on vinyl from when it first came out. IMO a better compilation than Hot Rocks. Definitely worth finding.

Regarding the rest5 of the Stones, I'd add The Rolling Stones Now and Aftermath to the following:

"Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Some Girls and Tattoo You" as noted above.

Date: February 9, 2015 23:19

I would give Made in the shade to anyone without any Stones experience.

I would never give Rewind that person

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 9, 2015 23:38

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 10, 2015 03:57

Hot Rocks and Through the Past Darkly are good, or the London Years. You get enough feel for what their range is. Everything after builds on that. Just get albums next. I don't see any point in GRRRRRR!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-10 04:06 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home