Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Post Your Guiltiest Guilty Pleasures!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 22, 2013 22:51

A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, such as campy styles of entertainment. Fashion, video games, music, films, and junk food can be examples of guilty pleasures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 22:53 by tatters.

Re: OT: Post Your Guiltiest Guilty Pleasures!
Date: June 22, 2013 23:08

Nobody? You're not gonna leave me hanging out to dry, are you? Not after I've made a startling admission like this! C'mon, I know there's a few ABBA fans here. You think that's something to be proud of?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 14:29 by tatters.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:20

THis is mine...can;t stand Genesis never could, but for some reason I love this song, even when I was a teenager and this was a very popular hippie anthem I secretly loved it, but of course, wouldn;t admit to it. THese days I regularly sneak it on the laptop and plug the headphones in!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:22

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:25

I don't believe in applying the concept of guilty pleasures to music. I like what I like and won't allow myself to be made to feel guilty for it. So what about what anybody else thinks, or whether my liking one type of music or performer is consistent with liking something else?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:28

tatters
A guilty pleasure is something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, such as campy styles of entertainment. Fashion, video games, music, films, and junk food can be examples of guilty pleasures.

This is kinda funny, a Rock n Roll buddy of mine use to talk about how he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I would go along with the joke.

Well, Gino is playing a show towards the end of the year and my friend called up and said he has tickets for us. I told him thanks, but no thanks and he was really insulted. "But I thought....." I told him the joke was too old and lets move on, well, it was no joke...He's going to take his wife and all's well between ussmileys with beer

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:35

Gino Vannelli?
He has other songs than Wild Horses? (I really like that one)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 23:36 by BowieStone.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:38

ab
I don't believe in applying the concept of guilty pleasures to music. I like what I like and won't allow myself to be made to feel guilty for it. So what about what anybody else thinks, or whether my liking one type of music or performer is consistent with liking something else?

YOu saying you won;t allow yourself to feel guility, indicates that somewhere deep down you are feeling guilty...cmon we're all friends here, share with the group..are you a Belieber? eye popping smiley

Date: June 22, 2013 23:49

BluzDude
tatters

This is kinda funny, a Rock n Roll buddy of mine use to talk about how he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I would go along with the joke.

Well, Gino is playing a show towards the end of the year and my friend called up and said he has tickets for us. I told him thanks, but no thanks and he was really insulted. "But I thought....." I told him the joke was too old and lets move on, well, it was no joke...He's going to take his wife and all's well between ussmileys with beer

The Rolling Stone Album Guide gave every one of his albums either one star (out of a possible five), or, in some cases, half a star. Here's what they said:

"Perhaps Vanelli reached his nadir by wailing the ludicrous lyric, "I'm just a male Caucasian," to overblown synthesizer accompaniment on "Storm at Sunup." But for this shlockmeister, "nadir" is a relative term. Virtually his entire career has been a progression from valley to gulley, and he qualifies as an absolute Il Duce of bad taste.

"With his brother helping out on arrangements, Vanelli concocted pap arias that combined pretensions to classical music, the worst jazz-fusion posturing and an operatic singing style that conveyed bogus sensitivity and all the sexiness of an obscene phone call. Flashing his chest hair and the bulge in his pants, Vanelli was a Tom Jones for the 70's--although completely lacking in Tom's sense of fun.

"Improvements in studio and synthesizer technology marked the textural clotting that increased from album to album--by the time of "Gist of the Gemini", Vanelli was strangling in lushness--but all of his first half-dozen records sound alike. Again and again, he whispers and bellows; all his songs are crescendos going nowhere. Interchangeable, "The Best of..." and "Classics" capture this period--and they are music that is deeply offensive.

"Miraculously, Vanelli's Columbia albums aren't. Switching over to pop, he retains all of his previous format's mechanics, but he tones down the vocals, rids his tunes of the artsy augmented chords that had been his trademark and comes off merely as ultraprofessional and bland. Thank God."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 23:56 by tatters.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:54

Jeff Wayne's War of The Worlds does it for me: I love the album.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:55

The guilty pleasures are the sweetest which one should not post.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 22, 2013 23:57

Damn Yankees ... the Movie

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 23, 2013 00:03

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 23, 2013 00:08

ab

I totally agree with ab. Never, ever feel guilty for liking a particular song or artist is my feeling.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: June 23, 2013 00:10

This would probably be more of a guilty pleasure if it wasn't my go-to track for karaoke.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 00:15 by cirrhosis.

Date: June 23, 2013 00:11

andrewm
ab

I totally agree with ab. Never, ever feel guilty for liking a particular song or artist is my feeling.

Yup. Me too.
Good music is good music. Period.

Although having and enjoying all the Milli Vanilli albums (including The Real Milli Vanilli) might be pushing the envelope.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 23, 2013 00:22

andrewm

Unless it's Nickelback, "Don't Stop Believing", or any country music. Then you completely deserve the pain of shame.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 23, 2013 00:27

jamesfdouglas
andrewm

or any country music. Then you completely deserve the pain of shame.

Country, one of my favorite genres. And I'm proud of it.
You don't know what you're missing.
It's just like the blues, but different.

Ever realised that The Stones are sometimes more of a country band than a rock band?

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 23, 2013 00:29

tatters
Nobody? You're not gonna leave me hanging out to dry, are you? Not after I've made a startling confession like this! C'mon, I know there's a few ABBA fans here. You think that's something to be proud of?

Oi! Abba are ace. Top top songwriters. Triffic Scandinavian birds up front.. Why more do you want?!

Date: June 23, 2013 01:30

I would never presume that just because I happen to like something it must be good. I know this sucks .... and I like it anyway. That's what makes it a guilty pleasure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 03:02 by tatters.

Date: June 23, 2013 03:37

ab
I like what I like and won't allow myself to be made to feel guilty for it.

thumbs up

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 03:43

crumbling_mice
THis is mine...can;t stand Genesis never could, but for some reason I love this song, even when I was a teenager and this was a very popular hippie anthem I secretly loved it, but of course, wouldn;t admit to it. THese days I regularly sneak it on the laptop and plug the headphones in!

Me ? I'm just a lawnmower...

Date: June 23, 2013 03:48

I wouldn't say Peter Gabriel-era Genesis is a guilty pleasure. Phil's solo stuff, on the other hand ...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 23, 2013 03:48

BluzDude
Damn Yankees ... the Movie

OMG BluzDude, I LOVE that movie...but, Bye Bye Birdie tops it.

OK, like ab, I don't have any guilty pleasures with music, I like what I like.

But, I do have to confess to a secret fondness for schmultzy musicals, and I have to put McDonald's Filet a Fish sandwich on the list...that, and a Yoo Hoo.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 23, 2013 03:51

70's AM pop/rock. Like This...

Looking Glass - Brandy

Date: June 23, 2013 03:54

jazzbass
70's AM pop/rock. Like This...

Looking Glass - Brandy

He looks exactly the way I always pictured him!

Here's a guy who looks nothing like the way I always pictured him. (I actually had a friend who used to try to pick up chicks by claiming that he had written this song.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 04:47 by tatters.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 23, 2013 03:55

Bay City Rollers.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 03:55

I hide in my closet and listen to this...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 23, 2013 04:05

grinning smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 23, 2013 04:05

I confess! I confess!!!!!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home