Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith's favorite Beatles song; and a challenge to members of this board
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 13, 2011 18:07

TooTough
Imagine Jagger being on tour 2005 with 3 guys 30 years younger than him.
He would tear McC to pieces.

I made the same mistake regarding the ages of McCartney's band members. They are older than they appear. Regardless of their age, they are wonderful players. They are prepared, well rehearsed and sober - all things some people on this board do not hold in high regard.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 13, 2011 19:11

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 13, 2011 19:17

As far as I'm concerned, "Please Please Me" as a good a track as the Beatles ever recorded. Granted there are a few dozen in that category, but it is right there. "Perfect Pop Masterpiece" as they say in the trade.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 13, 2011 19:25

sweetcharmedlife

I always liked this quirky little song.

The unrealeased version on the Anthology is pretty cool as well even if George does sound like he's playing a rubber band in the solo and they can't get the timing right and Paul forgot his plectrum.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 13, 2011 20:52

Come On
I heard it already 1963 and have always had it as a 4/5, but there are 10 5/5 on that debut album for example brilliant I saw here standing there...Can someone please play Strawberry fields for Keith....

LOL and yes! But maybe he chose Please Please Me for sentimental reasons and not for its musical worthiness. When Jimmy Page was asked not too long ago what his favorite Stones song was and he chose their cover of "Oh Carol" I was like WTF?! Then Pagey went on to explain that they were playing that song when he first saw the Stones playing in a club in Richmond, and that's why he loves it; it reminds him of when he first saw them play.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2011 21:26

I like this band's version best:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-13 21:28 by 24FPS.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 13, 2011 23:52

with sssoul
rocker1
Keith is too @#$%&' cool, so that's almost not fair to Paul,
who has to actually *play* a song and not get by on the strength of his uber-vibe!

that's a crock, rocker1 dear - Keith is pouring his whole self into delivering that number,
and making it look as natural as breathing is part of his professionalism.

i love the Rolling Stones

I really meant no disrespect to Keith with that comment, although I suppose I can see how it can be interpreted that way. Yes, it is a from-the-guts performance and you are absolutely right, there is nothing at all forced or contrived about it. It's still a very different performance from Macca's band's efforts on PPM. And yes, it shows his own professionalism in that he can pour his heart out and have it seem natural. But come on, with ssssoul...he's got a major uber-vibage going on too, which many famous and talented musicians just don't have. There's a "vibe" to this that helps sell the performance. (we might be splitting semantical hairs with this, as I think to some extent there's talent and professionalism wrapped up within any vibe. I suppose you can project a cool vibe without talent...but that's a trickier thing to pull off. Anyway...Keith deserves props for this and I didn't really mean to imply otherwise.

Date: May 13, 2011 23:59

24FPS

That will never get anywhere.

The bridge is crap.

Has anyone seen the bridge?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 00:11

Kirk
...post ANY Stones video since 2000 that is even close to this clip as far as an overall display of, well, ROCK music...

Midnight rambler MSG 2002. Available in Four Flicks DVD. Have fun!

hmmmm.....I'll have to give this a fresh listen. (Actually from Jan. 2003, right? the HBO special?) Maybe PPM scores points with me because it's only 2 minutes of sustained energy. MR is of course a different beast, but in all honestly, if I had to choose one song that was my "rock n' roll oblivion balls-to-the-wall desert island tune" it would be Midnight Rambler, and specifically some of the live performances from 69-75. (I actually really really like some of the '75 versions of this song in a way that rivals even Brussels '73...)

So, okay. I'm not sure I would put the 2003 performance of MR above this version of PPM from 2005, but hey, different strokes...

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:25

It's a good tune. Hold Me Tight is another good one. I almost want to say they never did top I Saw Her Standing There.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 14, 2011 06:16

24FPS

"You've just written your first number one"...George Martin.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 14, 2011 08:18

TooTough

Are you saying Paul's band members are 30 years younger than he? Well, that's not the case. Other than Abe the drummer (age 40), the rest of the guys are in their 50's...

Rusty Anderson (guitar) - 52
Brian Ray (guitar) - 56
Paul "Wix" Wickens (keyboards) - 55

Sure, they're younger than Paul, but they're hardly a bunch of 30-somethings up there.

Date: May 14, 2011 08:41

Carnaby
It's a good tune. Hold Me Tight is another good one. I almost want to say they never did top I Saw Her Standing There.

First track, first album.

You're right, you could argue they didn't do anything better. Paul's pumping bass on this is fantastic. It's a great track and would have made a great single.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 14, 2011 09:08

It's that friggin' McCartney/Lennon vocal harmony that makes it soar. The bridge is kind of awkward. And then Ringo's rat-a-tats at the end makes it killer.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 14, 2011 09:53

Jah Paul
TooTough

Are you saying Paul's band members are 30 years younger than he? Well, that's not the case. Other than Abe the drummer (age 40), the rest of the guys are in their 50's...

Brian Ray (guitar) - 56

Sure, they're younger than Paul, but they're hardly a bunch of 30-somethings up there.

30 years younger than McC means in their 40s. So the drummer is 40.
Edit:
Imagine Jagger being on tour 2005 with 3 guys 15-20 years younger than him.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 14, 2011 18:55

Jah Paul
TooTough

Brian Ray (guitar) - 56

Thanks for the information, another fool opening his mouth!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 14, 2011 19:36

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 14, 2011 20:27

rocker1
... a challenge to members of this board, post ANY Stones video since 2000 that is even close to this clip as far as an overall display of, well, ROCK music. (And if you write this clip off as "pop" music I'll counter that even the Stones' "rockiest" songs as played live since 2002 are simply weak compared to the onslaught of guitar/bass/drums that bust forth out of this performance. If you disagree, post ANY Stones video post-2002 indicating otherwise.)

Someone already posted Monkey Man from Licks. SFM was pretty damn good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 20:29 by skipstone.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 14, 2011 21:00

TooTough
Jah Paul
TooTough

Brian Ray (guitar) - 56

30 years younger than McC means in their 40s. So the drummer is 40.
Edit:
Imagine Jagger being on tour 2005 with 3 guys 15-20 years younger than him.
No he would'nt.His ego is too big to actually work with talented musicians.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 23:01

Please Please Me is also one of my favorite Beatles songs , and although Paul's band are great musicians they leave me cold. They are too proficient. My love for the Stones goes beyond the music. I like them as people and as personalities. I root for them and still like them even when the music is bad. That is the reason I have always liked the early Beatles (62-66) much better than the dour bearded Beatles even though they produced brilliant music in their later years. And even though they hated them, I think I like the cartoon Beatles most of all.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: May 14, 2011 23:54

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 16, 2011 19:03

Yeah, watching that video reminds one of what a powerhouse vocal duo Lennon and McCartney were. John with that distinctive voice. And Paul is one of the great and most versatile voices in RnR history, lead, backup or harmony. Above all else The Beatles were a vocal group and great songwriters and arrangers.

Date: May 16, 2011 22:18

pmk251
And Paul is one of the great and most versatile voices in RnR history, lead, backup or harmony

He's got so many voices.

My favourite is his Little Richard voice.. Long Tall Sally.. Lucille.. I'm Down.

Paul was the musical powerhouse.. yeah I know Paul's not everyone's favorite... he's mine though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-16 22:23 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 16, 2011 22:30

No matter what you are citizising: Think of Keith (and the rest of the world!) in 1962!
They hadn't heard anything like that before. That is what is still kept in his mind and what might have so much meaning to him.
He wasn't able to do anything like that at THAT time. Anything after that couldn't impress him anymore.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 16, 2011 22:38

Keith challenged McCartney when they were hangin out on the beach to play that song on the Superbowl.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 17, 2011 02:39

Please Please Me is one of my favorite Beatles songs. Excellent choice Keith and for those looking for something "deeper" or more musically complex, forget it. PPM is a work of, as Wry Cooter termed, Pop Perfection.
This is one of those songs that is easy to dismiss, something I did for years. I didn't hate it, I would just listen to it passively....yeah, catchy early Beatles song... and all that....
But the song has such a joyful energy. John and Paul and those harmonies, the way the song weaves in and out of minor-to-major-chords-and-back-again-then-to-a-minor 7 chord so seamlessly and effortlessly.....there is more much musical genius in this one little, short song than most of everything that was out at that time.
It's deceptively simple, but the Lennon/Macca innovation of melody, harmony, chord progression and collaboration is all here. Lennon and Mc seem to be having so much fun trading harmonies and lines that its like listening to two genuises discover themselves.
The song just flies!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 02:44 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 17, 2011 02:50

Big Al
Love Please Please Me. I have always prefered the early Beatles to the mid-late period, anyway. I'll take With The Beatles over Sgt. Pepper, any day.

Oh man, I agree wholeheartedly!
I love all the Bealtes, but the early stuff is just heaven. The amazing energy, the seamless chord progressions, the melodies......just heaven.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home