Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The making -of of "The Rolling Stones At The Max "
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 14, 2013 11:38

SwayStones
skipstone
I understand that. It's just funny. There must've been a pretty serious budget to allow such a screw up as the intro to HTW to be left the way it was!

And one thing I remember reading about that tour was that the cowbell for the song was sampled at 3 different rates, giving them the option of changing the timbre and key of the note for whatever reason, yet there is whoever "playing" the cowbell.

Plus wasn't it during this tour when Jagger began to sing something like "Honky tonk, Honky tonk Women "& repeat it instead of singing as he used to do "it's a honnnhonhonhoonky tonk women" if you understand what I mean ?

I don't know when he started to do that but it certainly didn't improve the performance, quite the opposite, it made it more boring.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 14, 2013 11:45

IMAX was fantastic at the time, being able to see the Stones from so close after 8 years was amazing. But when you see it now it is quite horrendous, with about 75% being fake...

Mathijs

Date: August 14, 2013 11:55

Mathijs
IMAX was fantastic at the time, being able to see the Stones from so close after 8 years was amazing. But when you see it now it is quite horrendous, with about 75% being fake...

Mathijs

And the sound (especially Keith) that was so great in the IMAX theater back then, now is crap...

What happened with Keith's guitar sound after the SW-tour anyway? Seemingly, it lost its bite. Changed from Boogies to Twins?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 14, 2013 12:34

I went to see the movie in the Imax theater Rotterdam and it was an amazing experience. You realy got the feeling being there on the stage with the band.

I liked especialy the shot of Ron and Keith together performing the solo in Tumbling Dice. A couple of close up shots of Keith on that huge screen were great and scary at the same time.

Ofcourse you never get that same excitment on a normal TV screen at home, but I still like that movie a lot and I think it's beautifull shot.

The only problem I have with it is that the images not always corresponded with the sound. It was shot at different locations, but you only hear I think the recording of one concert at Wembley.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 14, 2013 12:39

rollingon
It's a good movie and HTW is a good song but that Mick's shirt is really annoying, it's almost hard to watch the movie because of that.

And his short hair style is also a bit annoying too...

It's a good performance technically, but it feels spinal tappish to me -- the cowbell, the poses, Jagger being over the top in a bad way, background singers dancing, Chuck doing a plinky plonk solo while Mick runs up the ramp, inflatable girls (!) hovering over the whole thing ...

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 14, 2013 12:51

LieB
rollingon
It's a good movie and HTW is a good song but that Mick's shirt is really annoying, it's almost hard to watch the movie because of that.

And his short hair style is also a bit annoying too...

It's a good performance technically, but it feels spinal tappish to me -- the cowbell, the poses, Jagger being over the top in a bad way, background singers dancing, Chuck doing a plinky plonk solo while Mick runs up the ramp, inflatable girls (!) hovering over the whole thing ...

Yes, you are absolutely right, the inflatable girls were just terrible, but they were there because the big screen still wasn't there and they wanted to have something big for the audience to see.

Date: August 14, 2013 12:58

<And his short hair style is also a bit annoying too>

Like here?

Date: August 14, 2013 14:25

DandelionPowderman

Like here?

The comparison isn't really relevant, for a number of reasons. Different hair style, different clothes, different times altogether. I think Mick's hair was even shorter in early '73. Personally, I don't mind his '89 crew cut -- it fitted him better than the mid-80s mullet thing, and it blended with the music they were doing at the time, which says more about the music than the hair.

Date: August 14, 2013 14:35

Mathijs

Mathijs

Agreed. Still being a relatively young fan, the At the Max movie was one of my very first Stones experiences. Seeing it at Cosmonova in Stockholm on that huge globe-shaped screen was awesome. It was sort of like seeing them in concert from the first row, but on a mediocre tour (which I did not realise back then). But, as with any sloppy Stones gig, the youtube version is very underwhelming for so many reasons. Fake is fake -- you can get away with it for a little while if the overall experience is awe-inspiring, but in the long run it's not gonna age well.

(Now imagine seeing a '72 show in this format, with great camera angles, lighting and audio ...)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2013 18:28

rollingon
SwayStones
skipstone
I understand that. It's just funny. There must've been a pretty serious budget to allow such a screw up as the intro to HTW to be left the way it was!

And one thing I remember reading about that tour was that the cowbell for the song was sampled at 3 different rates, giving them the option of changing the timbre and key of the note for whatever reason, yet there is whoever "playing" the cowbell.

Plus wasn't it during this tour when Jagger began to sing something like "Honky tonk, Honky tonk Women "& repeat it instead of singing as he used to do "it's a honnnhonhonhoonky tonk women" if you understand what I mean ?

I don't know when he started to do that but it certainly didn't improve the performance, quite the opposite, it made it more boring.

He sang it like that on the 75-76 tours. I like that way better.

Date: August 14, 2013 18:32

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
Glam Descendant
skipstone
I believe it was also the first movie of its kind ie concert movies.

There is a "concert movie" from the early 70s you should seek out: it's titled LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES .

They show LADIES & GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES in iMax too?

No, it was before the IMAX technology. I enjoyed Stones @ the IMAX but Shine a Light was a better movie & Scorcese made good use of the format.

I know. Glam missed the point of it being the first its kind as a concert movie, which didn't say 'in iMax format', which was the point of 'the first of its kind'.

Date: August 14, 2013 18:36

SwayStones
I've never seen the" Stones at the Max " behind-the-scenes.I must confess I only have the tape,not the DVD .
Is there any more footage of the making -of ? Thanks .

A bit funny, innit, that that footage of Start Me Up is not from the Stones At The Max...

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: August 14, 2013 20:28

So what I got from that was the whole IMAX show is basically Bullshit. You can see the overdubs all over the place. Kind of a sham that they try and put it out as a real show.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: August 14, 2013 21:20

jazzbass
FreeBird
SwayStones
Didn't he already do that at Hyde Park? Of course, he did it "properly" again later on, but still...

funny you mention that. I was trying to figure out when he changed the way he sings JJF. From "but it's aaaaaallllllllllrriiiiiighttttt now....", to "but it's all right, yes it's alright..."

Here's my take on the evolution of HTW - including Mick's changed vocals:

[montesnewblog.blogspot.com]

more shameless promotion - apologies

Date: August 15, 2013 07:04

MrMonte
jazzbass
FreeBird
SwayStones
Didn't he already do that at Hyde Park? Of course, he did it "properly" again later on, but still...

funny you mention that. I was trying to figure out when he changed the way he sings JJF. From "but it's aaaaaallllllllllrriiiiiighttttt now....", to "but it's all right, yes it's alright..."

Here's my take on the evolution of HTW - including Mick's changed vocals:

[montesnewblog.blogspot.com]

more shameless promotion - apologies

The cowbell in 1989-90 was a recording - a sample, done at 3 different notes to suit the environment of wherever they were playing.

Posted by: MidnightRambler ()
Date: August 15, 2013 11:22

I enjoy atthemax, it was a fun time back in the day.
It is kinda tongue in cheek, but was very cutting edge at the
time.

I don't like Shine A Light at all.

I really like Lets Spend the Night Together.
It rocks me every time.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 15, 2013 12:30

The way Shine a Light was presented at the IMAX was cool. Normal size screen for interviews at the beginning & then exploded to the full screen for JJF. I enjoyed it & the cd. The guest stars were all good & the set list was interesting. On the blu-ray, the performance of I'm Free on the extras is worth price. Love that song.

Date: August 15, 2013 12:45

LieB
DandelionPowderman

Like here?

The comparison isn't really relevant, for a number of reasons. Different hair style, different clothes, different times altogether. I think Mick's hair was even shorter in early '73. Personally, I don't mind his '89 crew cut -- it fitted him better than the mid-80s mullet thing, and it blended with the music they were doing at the time, which says more about the music than the hair.

The hair-dos are similar, hence the comparison is valid, imo.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 19, 2013 00:16

skipstone
No. Listen to HTW on Love You Live (the best version of the song ever I think). The 'honky tonk, honky tonk' chorus is much better than that long one worded chorus.

The 1976 Tour----that was not only when Mick started singing the HTW chorus with the "honky tonnk....honky tonk...women," line, but also when the band started playing "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy" in a different key than the studio version/live versions from 1972-1975. All three changes were to remain a part of the Stones live set through 1982, only going back to the original way in 1989.
AFAIK, the Stones have never played TD or Happy in the different keys they did from 1976-1982 since the Steel Wheels tour, but I will say this: when I first saw the Stones at Foxboro Stadium during the B2B tour, Mick did sing the HTW chorus line as "it's a honky tonk.....honky tonk.....women", rather than the more familiar studio version chorus.
I was pretty surprised about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 00:35 by stevecardi.

Date: August 19, 2013 00:24

Deleted---accidental repost

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 00:32 by stevecardi.

Date: August 19, 2013 00:32

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

And the sound (especially Keith) that was so great in the IMAX theater back then, now is crap...

What happened with Keith's guitar sound after the SW-tour anyway? Seemingly, it lost its bite. Changed from Boogies to Twins?

First of all, I accidently hit "report this message" instead of "reply" so (1) sorry about that DadelionPowderman, and (2) to the forum moderators....there's nothing wrong with this post I'm responding to.

"What happened with Keith's guitar sound after the SW-tour anyway? Seemingly, it lost its bite. Changed from Boogies to Twins?"

Yep, after Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle, Keith went straight to the Fender Twins exclusively.
Keith's onstage setup during SW/Urban Jungle was unique for him, as he used not only the familiar Mesa/Boogie Mark IIIs and vintage 1957 Fender Twins, but also a 1956 Fender Bandmaster and, for the first and only time in his career, a Marshall (a model 1987 50w head, to be exact).
I agree with you: that 1989/1990 live setup was by far Keith's best of the modern era: perfect combination of his early to mid 1970s tough-as-nails rawness combined with the more 'lush' sounding rawness of 1978/1981/1982 (without any of the much-too-thin sounding tone from that era), with an added hint of a more (for lack of a better term) grown-up sound.
Too bad he didn't stay with it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-19 03:00 by stevecardi.

Date: August 19, 2013 04:28

stevecardi
The 1976 Tour... when the band started playing "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy" in a different key than the studio version/live versions from 1972-1975.... AFAIK, the Stones have never played TD or Happy in the different keys they did from 1976-1982 since the Steel Wheels tour...

I recall something about this a long while back but never kept up with it I guess - what keys did they play them in!? They're both in B on the record.

Date: August 20, 2013 05:14

GasLightStreet
stevecardi
The 1976 Tour... when the band started playing "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy" in a different key than the studio version/live versions from 1972-1975.... AFAIK, the Stones have never played TD or Happy in the different keys they did from 1976-1982 since the Steel Wheels tour...

I recall something about this a long while back but never kept up with it I guess - what keys did they play them in!? They're both in B on the record.

Listen to the versions of "Happy" and "Tumbling Dice" on Exile, then listen to the versions on Love You Live....you'll see what I mean.
Not sure what keys the LYL/1976-1982 versions are in, but it sounds like it's a half-step up from the studio version.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 22, 2013 22:22

stevecardi
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

First of all, I accidently hit "report this message" instead of "reply" so (1) sorry about that DadelionPowderman, and (2) to the forum moderators....there's nothing wrong with this post I'm responding to.

"What happened with Keith's guitar sound after the SW-tour anyway? Seemingly, it lost its bite. Changed from Boogies to Twins?"

Yep, after Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle, Keith went straight to the Fender Twins exclusively.
Keith's onstage setup during SW/Urban Jungle was unique for him, as he used not only the familiar Mesa/Boogie Mark IIIs and vintage 1957 Fender Twins, but also a 1956 Fender Bandmaster and, for the first and only time in his career, a Marshall (a model 1987 50w head, to be exact).
I agree with you: that 1989/1990 live setup was by far Keith's best of the modern era: perfect combination of his early to mid 1970s tough-as-nails rawness combined with the more 'lush' sounding rawness of 1978/1981/1982 (without any of the much-too-thin sounding tone from that era), with an added hint of a more (for lack of a better term) grown-up sound.
Too bad he didn't stay with it.

Pity when i saw the 2 Manchester dates on that tour he was mixed so low it didnt really matter what he was playing through...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 22, 2013 22:29

To show a film like "The making of..." would be like a magician revealing how he does his tricks. After you have seen it "the magic" is lost...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home