Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Stones Fans are Sounding more like the Older Generation
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:18

if it's true that music remains stagnant and therefore not evolving and original, there's one thing that won't follow suit and that's lyrics. you can never say one song's lyrics are a rip off of another artist or "been there, done that" with those lyrics. there are some fantastic lyricists out there today (including rappers, if you can drop your warped view that it's all about guns and shooting each other, you'll see that there are some clever and talented writers). perhaps if you can look past the chord progressions that everyone has done before, and pay attention to what the newer generation are saying in their lyrics, then you'll begin to appreciate the music as a whole and respect and see the talent that is out there.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:24

ineedadrink
if it's true that music remains stagnant and therefore not evolving and original, there's one thing that won't follow suit and that's lyrics. you can never say one song's lyrics are a rip off of another artist or "been there, done that" with those lyrics. there are some fantastic lyricists out there today (including rappers, if you can drop your warped view that it's all about guns and shooting each other, you'll see that there are some clever and talented writers). perhaps if you can look past the chord progressions that everyone has done before, and pay attention to what the newer generation are saying in their lyrics, then you'll begin to appreciate the music as a whole and respect and see the talent that is out there.

heneedsadrink makes a very good point. there are some incredibly talented songwriters out there today.

as to the stagnancy of music, though, i would argue that music today is still evolving...the template for rock/pop is more or less unchanged....but then that has more or less has been true for 40 years.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:33

ineedadrink
Brue
I posted a video of Raphael Saddiq on the 'what are you listening to' thread, and the song is new, been listening to it the last few months on the college station in Baltimore, and this dude is flat out ripping off the '60's - he's got the Malcolm X black-framed glasses, looks like one of the Temptations in 1965, takes a riff on the rhythm guitar that sounds almost identical to a Quicksilver Messenger Service riff, the production elements are trying to imitate that sound. Listen to the guitar solo in the middle of it - it's like the person doing it had never picked up a guitar. That sums up a lot of what's going on.

I went to see the Stone Temple Pilots a week and half ago, and they went out and pretty much rocked their asses off, you can tell they've been touring for a couple of years now, they were doing little things in the middle of songs that were tight. I get nostaligic for THEM, and I was in my 30's when they showed up. The band that warmed up for them was from Colorado or something, and they had this kid who was the lead singer, a left-handed guitar player, and long straight hair in his eyes - yeah, Curt Kobain wannabe, and they had some decent harmonies, sounded like the music was flowing a little, then they'd go into some kind of thrash mode, and all it did was chop up the song. It's like they were trying to be all these different things, but none of them was original or unique.

music is marketed towards young people. always has. always will. chances are, young fans of Raphael Saddiq have never heard of Quicksilver Messenger Service. if you seem to think that Raphael Saddiq ripped off that band, the younger fans don't know it and, frankly, don't give a crap. they're living in the "now" not in the past like a lot of people do. maybe rock and roll has reached it's end point? there's not much new to do. that's no fault of anyone. unless you want to start combining gregorian chants with country music or whatever, perhaps there isn't anything new to contribute. perhaps that's where we are. it's all about living in the now. when the Stones performed Little Red Rooster in the mid-60s, do you really think the little girls in the audience were saying "well, this is alright, but it's crap compared to Howlin' Wolf's version"? no, they were busy screaming their heads off because they were living in the now. maybe they didn't even know who Howlin' Wolf was. when Nirvana hit the mainstream a lot of people said they were just a Pixies rip off. 30 years from now we'll see a young female singer make it onto the scene, singing for her young fans, and we'll say "she's just a miley cyrus rip off".

Yeah, I get that, and that's only part of the argument, and a very small one, and I understand that music is marketed to young people, I'm saying that as someone who's down the road a piece, we see it for what it is, BECAUSE WE'VE HEARD A LOT OF IT BEFORE. Let's put it this way - the blues and rock and roll didn't really rip anybody off, like say folk music or jazz that came before it, but rock and roll is being ripped off thesedays. In other words, there isn't a new genre for what's coming out and there never will be as long as it sounds the same.

Look, I like some rap because well, growing up it wasn't so great for me, and I understand the anger in some of the songs. Growing up white trash has a lot in common with being black in the U.S. Not totally, but we all have the same needs, and if they're not getting met, there will be problems.

I like some of the stuff that's out that's why I listen to the college station, because music is just like anything else for me, you can only hear the same thing so many times before you want to see something new.

Date: May 6, 2011 17:40

Brue
I like some of the stuff that's out that's why I listen to the college station, because music is just like anything else for me, you can only hear the same thing so many times before you want to see something new.

same goes for me. there's plenty of great new AND old music to be discovered and enjoyed. if i get to live another 30 years i will have the opportunity to barely scratch the surface. i know lots of music like the back of my hand and i've made a conscious effort over the past few years to break away from what i know; it's easy to just spin the same old stuff...but as a music fan, i'm cheating myself if i don't continue the journey and the exploration.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:42

BluzDude
...and your real point is...?

"Getting all serious about life..it just is'nt Rock n' Roll"..smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 22:53 by colonial.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:43

Brue
Let's put it this way - the blues and rock and roll didn't really rip anybody off, like say folk music or jazz that came before it, but rock and roll is being ripped off thesedays. In other words, there isn't a new genre for what's coming out and there never will be as long as it sounds the same.

The biggest exception to that that has occurred was Willie Dixon's estate suing Led Zeppelin. Because they flat out ripped off Willie Dixon.

Date: May 6, 2011 17:46

i think one reason why we live in a world of "we've heard it all before" is the fact that rock and roll is pretty rudimentary. one reason why the Stones have been so popular is because their music is so accessible. let's face it, it's not complex stuff. you see a lot of people on youtube filming themselves doing a Stones cover because it's easy to play as opposed to, say, a Frank Zappa song or a Mahavishnu Orchestra song. how do you reach the most people and garner the largest audience? by playing simple stuff that the average person will get off on. it's always been like that. more people know Happy Together by The Turtles than Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin by the Mothers Of Invention. if you want to write deep intellectual lyrics with music that has odd time signatures and chord progressions and unique instrumentations, go for it, but you won't be appealing to the masses. some bands like that DO break into the mainstream and how are they described? "original, doing something different".

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:49

The Stones doing Little Red Rooster on FLASHPOINT evoked from me to a friend, "You should hear the version they do on LOVE YOU LIVE, makes this version sound like a bunch of 12 year olds."

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:56

StonesTod
ineedadrink

heneedsadrink makes a very good point. there are some incredibly talented songwriters out there today.

as to the stagnancy of music, though, i would argue that music today is still evolving...the template for rock/pop is more or less unchanged....but then that has more or less has been true for 40 years.

Good way of putting it StonesTod. I'd like to add to that although the art is ever changing, some of us aren't.

My parents grew up listening to Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller and all the original Blues players. My mother turned me on to Jimi Hendrix, Billy Holiday and Memphis Minnie. My dad turned me on to Hank Williams and The Louven Brothers. They both followed the evolution of music closely.

The Parents of some of my friends are still only listening to Glenn Miller and anything post his era is total garbage like Rock N Roll. They label the Rock era and being dominated by talentless upstarts.

CBII

Date: May 6, 2011 18:01

CBII
StonesTod
ineedadrink

Good way of putting it StonesTod. I'd like to add to that although the art is ever changing, some of us aren't.

My parents grew up listening to Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller and all the original Blues players. My mother turned me on to Jimi Hendrix, Billy Holiday and Memphis Minnie. My dad turned me on to Hank Williams and The Louven Brothers. They both followed the evolution of music closely.

The Parents of some of my friends are still only listening to Glenn Miller and anything post his era is total garbage like Rock N Roll. They label the Rock era and being dominated by talentless upstarts.

and there's nothing wrong with having a closed mind....except that it DENIES YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY SOMETHING. i think there are a lot of posters here who deny themselves that chance just because they THINK they aren't supposed to like something or they don't honestly open their minds and ears. i can honestly say i've heard VERY LITTLE music in my life (and I listen to music at EVERY opportunity) that I didn't enjoy to some extent. Gospel, bluegrass, celtic, rap, blues, jazz, chants, pop, prog rock...anything and everything has potential music value...it's all ear candy.

i have a strong suspicion your dad has a very open mind to lots of music, too....

Date: May 6, 2011 18:09

modern acts have an advantage over artists from the 60s and that is their plate of artists to be influenced by is so much bigger. that is where the evolving occurs, the availability of inspiration. 10 years from now a new generation of artists will draw inspiration from Radiohead, Arcade Fire etc and possibly escape the underground and become mainstream. but if you, the listener, are stuck in a "why would i want to listen to this pseudo-Stones when i can listen to the original Stones" mentality, then your failure to find pleasure in today's music lies not with the artist but with you.

Date: May 6, 2011 18:20

ineedadrink
modern acts have an advantage over artists from the 60s and that is their plate of artists to be influenced by is so much bigger. that is where the evolving occurs, the availability of inspiration. 10 years from now a new generation of artists will draw inspiration from Radiohead, Arcade Fire etc and possibly escape the underground and become mainstream. but if you, the listener, are stuck in a "why would i want to listen to this pseudo-Stones when i can listen to the original Stones" mentality, then your failure to find pleasure in today's music lies not with the artist but with you.

beautifully stated.

ask not what your pseudo-stones band can do for you...ask what...oh, nevermind...

Posted by: Yman56 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 18:21

We are older. I've been following the Stones since 1964!

Date: May 6, 2011 19:07

StonesTod
CBII
StonesTod
ineedadrink

and there's nothing wrong with having a closed mind....except that it DENIES YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY SOMETHING. i think there are a lot of posters here who deny themselves that chance just because they THINK they aren't supposed to like something or they don't honestly open their minds and ears. i can honestly say i've heard VERY LITTLE music in my life (and I listen to music at EVERY opportunity) that I didn't enjoy to some extent. Gospel, bluegrass, celtic, rap, blues, jazz, chants, pop, prog rock...anything and everything has potential music value...it's all ear candy.

i have a strong suspicion your dad has a very open mind to lots of music, too....

You are absolutely correct.

CBII

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 6, 2011 20:21

Keith is showing the way : he is retiring and writing books.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2011 20:52

[www.youtube.com]

New and inventive.

Date: May 6, 2011 20:56

new and ?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 6, 2011 21:00

the kids are all square

Date: May 6, 2011 21:16

I'm so tired of retro. But if you're going to do it:

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:09

StonesTod
...and there's nothing wrong with having a closed mind....

Thank you. I'm born 1975 and the good records since Exile is about three: GHS, SG and TY. If you add some great modern choir muisc, and a few Stones songs, you basically have everything with quality there. The rest is shit and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Date: May 6, 2011 22:30

Now this still has me on the floor every time I watch it. Absolutely genius!

Parody at it's finest.

CBII

Date: May 6, 2011 22:34

Bärs
StonesTod
...and there's nothing wrong with having a closed mind....

Thank you. I'm born 1975 and the good records since Exile is about three: GHS, SG and TY. If you add some great modern choir muisc, and a few Stones songs, you basically have everything with quality there. The rest is shit and I'm perfectly happy with that.

your happiness is all we strive for. another satisifed customer. yay.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:43

ineedadrink

It's like you're drawing a line in the sand - why can't you enjoy both? What I'm saying is that when you get older, and you hear something that sounds kind of familiar, you just don't enjoy it the same way, as you did when you heard it for the first time. It's like post-punk and all that - they're still ripping off the original punks. That doesn't mean it's bad, but if you were sixteen when punk hit the first time (like I was), you're saying 'I've heard this before'.
I have an issue with a lot of classic rock, because back in the day you'd hear the same songs over and over so many times that you get sick of it, so when someone thesedays thinks that it's cool to rip off a '70's artist, it's a little hackneyed for the person who went through it the first time. It's age-dependent, like a younger person who thinks disco beats are cool because they appear in a new song, but it drives people who heard it the first time crazy. You know what it was like to hear Stayin Alive 12 times in one day? You'd go to a club and everybody wanted to look like friggin Travolta with the open collars. You can draw all the inspiration you want as a young songwriter, but when you hear something that you KNOW isn't unique, it takes the shine off of it. But hey - you still have to listen, otherwise you may never find that gem you've been waiting for. There's always room for a good hook in music.

Date: May 6, 2011 23:10

It's not that new groups are taking old influences, it's that they're not improving on them. The Stones were originally built on taking an earlier song, keeping it's basic feel, and then upgrade it without losing its essence. (See Chuck Berry's 'Around & Around'.) Or take something and make it wildly original, such as Hank Snow's 'Movin' On'.

I got seriously turned off with no talents like P.Diddy rapping over a Police song. That's an audience problem. An idiotic audience. Hey, there was crap in the 60s, ('Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie' comes to mind), but there was so much exciting, fresh, eclectic material out there that it balanced out. Unfortunately the pyramid has been flipped and the tiny percentage of cool new music is under this mountain of crap.

So, I'm old and cranky. Is it wrong to want performers to actually sing again, instead of goat yodeling, or rapping? Is it wrong to want songs that have some kind of universality that reflect how people are living? Where's the love songs? Is no one young in love anymore? No? Okay, then, where's the getting a BJ in the back seat songs? There's no teenage frustration and angst anymore? Everybody is happy with their government and the wars? What the economy is doing to their lives? Get mad.....................like this guy:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 6, 2011 23:32

24FPS
Hey, there was crap in the 60s, ('Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie' comes to mind), but there was so much exciting, fresh, eclectic material out there that it balanced out. Unfortunately the pyramid has been flipped and the tiny percentage of cool new music is under this mountain of crap.

that's just an opinion and one with which i vehemently disagree. the crap-to-cool new music ratio hasn't changed much if at all.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 7, 2011 00:15

I like your style, StonesTod

smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 7, 2011 00:35

StonesTod
24FPS
Hey, there was crap in the 60s, ('Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie' comes to mind), but there was so much exciting, fresh, eclectic material out there that it balanced out. Unfortunately the pyramid has been flipped and the tiny percentage of cool new music is under this mountain of crap.

that's just an opinion and one with which i vehemently disagree.

Me too. "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" was a great record....

All you have to do is look at a Top 10 chart from the mid-60's, and you'll see such an insane abundance of riches that it's hard to comprehend how so much great, innovative music was produced by so many people is such a short amount of time. If you were alive then you weren't hearing the songs in the same way (for 40+ years!) like Groundhog Day, it was all new, new, new, and it just flowed from those AM radio speakers.

Even records that I don't like from back then sound better- fresher-than what I hear on the radio now.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 7, 2011 02:02

Date: May 7, 2011 02:04

loog droog
StonesTod
24FPS

that's just an opinion and one with which i vehemently disagree.

Me too. "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie" was a great record....

All you have to do is look at a Top 10 chart from the mid-60's, and you'll see such an insane abundance of riches that it's hard to comprehend how so much great, innovative music was produced by so many people is such a short amount of time. If you were alive then you weren't hearing the songs in the same way (for 40+ years!) like Groundhog Day, it was all new, new, new, and it just flowed from those AM radio speakers.

Even records that I don't like from back then sound better- fresher-than what I hear on the radio now.

ummm....pop charts and what plays on the radio are now the standard by which we judge music? ummmm....ok. so noted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 02:04 by StonesTod.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 7, 2011 02:52

StonesTod

ummm....pop charts and what plays on the radio are now the standard by which we judge music? ummmm....ok. so noted.

That is the point. 45 years ago there was no disconnect between great music and popular music. The stuff that was popular was actually good.

FM (album) rock didn't get started until the late 60's, and although initially liberating, it began moving toward a rut about 1975, and was stuck deep in it by 1980. Thus, your Classic Rock/Groundhog Day format/culture was born.

So you've got a couple of generations that don't even associate airplay with quality, and thousands of bands determined to be obscure. What's wrong with that picture?

There was no need to dig and dig to find great bands years ago. They were out there, and some very smart A&R men knew how to find them and bring them to the public.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home