Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Stones Fans are Sounding more like the Older Generation
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 6, 2011 03:54

Some Rolling Stones fans here are starting to sound more and more like the older generation, their parents and grandparents before them.With there continuous and in some cases quite brutal criticism of new and not so new bands, nearly everytime one gets mentioned here..ya' got to move with the times man, its 2011 not 1971..smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 05:46 by colonial.

Re: Stones Fans are Sounding more like the Older Generation
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 6, 2011 04:23

colonial
Some Rolling Stones fans here are starting to sound more and more like the older generation, their parents and grandparents before them.

That's because most of us are the older generation now.

How long you been around, colonial ?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2011 04:43

You don't have to move with the times if they suck. As an 'older' fan am I supposed to listen to subpar musicians do weak versions of music made better almost 50 years ago? I recognize true talent, Jack White, Amy Winehouse, the Roots, and others, but they are few and far between.

You can catch new bands every night on the last five minutes of Conan, Leno, Letterman, Lopez & Kimmell in the U.S. Most of them have zero imagination. Yeah, it's 2011, so why are you imitating music from 1971, badly? Sure, there's some older fans who stopped at 1972 and never got past Neil Young's 'Harvest', Jethro Tull, or Exile on Main Street. And no, we don't sound like our grandparents. Our grandparents had a completely different music to listen to, on different instruments. Those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s have had to watch a new generation fumble around with rock and roll because they don't have the imagination to invent a new sound, with new instruments. There are exceptions. I hear some electronic music from Europe, or someone like Deadmau5, that are novel and fun. Even Jack White delves into this kind of material.

When I hear a group with singers that can connect to people emotionally, I'll acknowledge it. Or instrumentalists who play at a high level. Am I supposed to like rap? A music that peaked with 'The Message' in 1982? Kids have been wearing their pants down around their knees with their underwear showing since at least 1994. Maybe the older generation is spoiled. You can break down the 60s, year by year, and see great leaps forward artistically. Styles of music changed, fashion changed. Hell, here in Hollywood I'm still seeing guys wearing bowling shirts and Buddy Holly glasses, and girls wearing Harlequin glasses. It's the same shit I saw them wear on Melrose Avenue 20 years ago.

If the younger generation wants the older generation to respect them, then create something to be respected for. Where are your artists? Not your video game creators. Where are your singers creating anthems for your generation? You pussed out during the Iraq War and didn't protest at all. You think we don't respect you because we're old and cranky. We don't respect you and your music because we think you're lame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 06:35 by 24FPS.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 6, 2011 04:46

Edith Grove
colonial
Some Rolling Stones fans here are starting to sound more and more like the older generation, their parents and grandparents before them.

That's because most of us are the older generation now.

How long you been around, colonial ?

Edith Grove..I don't think age has much to do with it really, ya' can still be in ya' 50's..60's and 70's.. and still be one of the boys and be quite open minded about things.Take The Rolling Stones for a good example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 04:51 by colonial.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: May 6, 2011 04:49

I'm part of what they're calling Generation Y and I even I think new music (Lady Gaga, and other mainstream crap you hear on the radio) is absolutely horrible nowadays.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 6, 2011 04:57

...and your real point is...?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 6, 2011 05:04

colonial ?! smoking smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 6, 2011 06:21

Ya think??

24FPS, well-stated.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: May 6, 2011 09:04

24FPS
You don't have to move with the times if they suck. As an 'older' fan am I supposed to listen to subpar musicians due weak versions of music made better almost 50 years ago? I recognize true talent, Jack White, Amy Winehouse, the Roots, and others, but they are few and far between.

You can catch new bands every night on the last five minutes of Conan, Leno, Letterman, Lopez & Kimmell in the U.S. Most of them have zero imagination. Yeah, it's 2011, so why are you imitating music from 1971, badly? Sure, there's some older fans who stopped at 1972 and never got past Neil Young's 'Harvest', Jethro Tull, or Exile on Main Street. And no, we don't sound like our grandparents. Our grandparents had a completely different music to listen to, on different instruments. Those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s have had to watch a new generation fumble around with rock and roll because they don't have the imagination to invent a new sound, with new instruments. There are exceptions. I hear some electronic music from Europe, or someone like Deadmau5, that are novel and fun. Even Jack White delves into this kind of material.

When I hear a group with singers that can connect to people emotionally, I'll acknowledge it. Or instrumentalists who play at a high level. Am I supposed to like rap? A music that peaked with 'The Message' in 1982? Kids have been wearing their pants down around their knees with their underwear showing since at least 1994. Maybe the older generation is spoiled. You can break down the 60s, year by year, and see great leaps forward artistically. Styles of music changed, fashion changed. Hell, here in Hollywood I'm still seeing guys wearing bowling shirts and Buddy Holly glasses, and girls wearing Harlequin glasses. It's the same shit I saw them wear on Melrose Avenue 20 years ago.

If the younger generation wants the older generation to respect them, then create something to be respected for. Where are your artists? Not your video game creators. Where are your singers creating anthems for your generation? You pussed out during the Iraq War and didn't protest at all. You think we don't respect you because we're old and cranky. We don't respect you and your music because we think you're lame.
and may I add CLUELESS/TALENTLESS !!!

PERFECTLY SAID

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 09:19

I recently mentioned here Katy Perry's last single FIREWORK, tentatively thinking maybe no one here would know her much less the song, But some posters were quite familiar with both her and the song, and some liked it. So this forum isn't some time capsule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 09:22 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 6, 2011 09:32

I make a point of listening to new music on the radio in the car, rather than my cd's, just to keep up. But sadly, there seems to be little of lasting value. So much is derivative, nothing new. My own view is that rock as a genre is played out, and very little can be done within that genre that hasn't been done before. I'd like to hear the musicians here on this topic.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 6, 2011 10:13

Good new music is out there. It just takes effort to find. More effort than Boomers are willing to give, apparently. More than a few grumpy old farts here...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 10:50

Surely you like Glee fellas, thats a great show. It appeals to the young and old.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2011 11:01

colonial
Some Rolling Stones fans here are starting to sound more and more like the older generation, their parents and grandparents before them.With there continuous and in some cases quite brutal criticism of new and not so new bands, nearly everytime one gets mentioned here..ya' got to move with the times man, its 2011 not 1971..smoking smiley

Yeah what's with that. Is it because Keith slammed rap in 1988? Here's my 1989 answer:

Date: May 6, 2011 11:21

Good to see the classy rappers shouting mother @#$%& infront of the little kids, all class.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2011 11:39

lapaz62
Good to see the classy rappers shouting mother @#$%& infront of the little kids, all class.

It's not good to curse in front of kids, Ill give you that, but the little kids have already heard their moms and pops use the same language and worse.
If the lure of the middle class and the very real promise of a better life - the one you get if you try hard at school - is stronger than the lure of cursing on the streets, then Biggie will be just another good act. So please dont blame it on Biggie. People cursed on the streets long before him.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 6, 2011 13:57

sure..and Sinatra is number one nowadays...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:07

Glee is a horrendous musical soap opera. Nothing more. With a bunch of very over produced and engineered actors singing pop music. Terrible.

But that doesn't mean I am an old fart, it just means I prefer Dom PĂ©rignon over Blue Nun, or any other cheap crap wine. As many posters have said above. There is a lot of good new music out there if you search and persevere through the myriad of crappola. Like the insidious way R and B has morphed into pseudo rap/hip hop/vibrato laden croaking. R and B used to mean soul and gut bucket musicianship that inspired. Most mainstream rock now is cookie cutter digitalized corporate pap.

But having said that there is some great stuff out there from some young ones who are clearly inspired. For instance The Black Keys. Just two guys that crank out fantastic raunchy blues inspired rock. Wonderful.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:12

I have Gimme the Loot on my iPod. Anyway, what did Mick Jagger call Buddy Guy in SHINE A LIGHT??? Some little kids were in the IMAX audience when I saw it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:49

colonial

There's a slight irony in such a post when it comes from anyone who's obsessed with a band whose main musical and cultural impact was 40-45 years ago...spinning smiley sticking its tongue outgrinning smiley

Great post by 24PS, incidentally..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 14:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:53

colonial

What utter nonsense. Age has little if anything to do with it. Like or dislike of bands/music usually stems from a noise input of sorts to those things on the side of your head ... your sodding EARS !! If it sounds good, done deal. If it sounds shite, also a done deal. The same people that had ears all the way back in that Neanderthal year of 1971 still have 'em in today in 2011 you know. There was shite back then, and there's shite nowadays.

'Move with the times' ! My fr***in' ass !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 6, 2011 15:06

Gazza
colonial

There's a slight irony in such a post when it comes from anyone who's obsessed with a band whose main musical and cultural impact was 40-45 years ago...spinning smiley sticking its tongue outgrinning smiley

Great post by 24PS, incidentally..
obsessed is an understatement.

Date: May 6, 2011 15:17

What do you class classical lovers as, some of that stuff is hundreds of years old and still stands up today.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 6, 2011 15:58

24FPS
You don't have to move with the times if they suck. As an 'older' fan am I supposed to listen to subpar musicians do weak versions of music made better almost 50 years ago? I recognize true talent, Jack White, Amy Winehouse, the Roots, and others, but they are few and far between.

I posted a video of Raphael Saddiq on the 'what are you listening to' thread, and the song is new, been listening to it the last few months on the college station in Baltimore, and this dude is flat out ripping off the '60's - he's got the Malcolm X black-framed glasses, looks like one of the Temptations in 1965, takes a riff on the rhythm guitar that sounds almost identical to a Quicksilver Messenger Service riff, the production elements are trying to imitate that sound. Listen to the guitar solo in the middle of it - it's like the person doing it had never picked up a guitar. That sums up a lot of what's going on.

I went to see the Stone Temple Pilots a week and half ago, and they went out and pretty much rocked their asses off, you can tell they've been touring for a couple of years now, they were doing little things in the middle of songs that were tight. I get nostaligic for THEM, and I was in my 30's when they showed up. The band that warmed up for them was from Colorado or something, and they had this kid who was the lead singer, a left-handed guitar player, and long straight hair in his eyes - yeah, Curt Kobain wannabe, and they had some decent harmonies, sounded like the music was flowing a little, then they'd go into some kind of thrash mode, and all it did was chop up the song. It's like they were trying to be all these different things, but none of them was original or unique.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 6, 2011 16:23

...if turning the channel when I see 30 Seconds to Mars means I'm old then so be it.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 6, 2011 16:27

Brue
I posted a video of Raphael Saddiq on the 'what are you listening to' thread, and the song is new, been listening to it the last few months on the college station in Baltimore, and this dude is flat out ripping off the '60's - he's got the Malcolm X black-framed glasses, looks like one of the Temptations in 1965, takes a riff on the rhythm guitar that sounds almost identical to a Quicksilver Messenger Service riff, the production elements are trying to imitate that sound. Listen to the guitar solo in the middle of it - it's like the person doing it had never picked up a guitar. That sums up a lot of what's going on.

I went to see the Stone Temple Pilots a week and half ago, and they went out and pretty much rocked their asses off, you can tell they've been touring for a couple of years now, they were doing little things in the middle of songs that were tight. I get nostaligic for THEM, and I was in my 30's when they showed up. The band that warmed up for them was from Colorado or something, and they had this kid who was the lead singer, a left-handed guitar player, and long straight hair in his eyes - yeah, Curt Kobain wannabe, and they had some decent harmonies, sounded like the music was flowing a little, then they'd go into some kind of thrash mode, and all it did was chop up the song. It's like they were trying to be all these different things, but none of them was original or unique.

music is marketed towards young people. always has. always will. chances are, young fans of Raphael Saddiq have never heard of Quicksilver Messenger Service. if you seem to think that Raphael Saddiq ripped off that band, the younger fans don't know it and, frankly, don't give a crap. they're living in the "now" not in the past like a lot of people do. maybe rock and roll has reached it's end point? there's not much new to do. that's no fault of anyone. unless you want to start combining gregorian chants with country music or whatever, perhaps there isn't anything new to contribute. perhaps that's where we are. it's all about living in the now. when the Stones performed Little Red Rooster in the mid-60s, do you really think the little girls in the audience were saying "well, this is alright, but it's crap compared to Howlin' Wolf's version"? no, they were busy screaming their heads off because they were living in the now. maybe they didn't even know who Howlin' Wolf was. when Nirvana hit the mainstream a lot of people said they were just a Pixies rip off. 30 years from now we'll see a young female singer make it onto the scene, singing for her young fans, and we'll say "she's just a miley cyrus rip off".

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:06

24FPS

oh, please. there's plenty of great music out there. yeah, you gotta wade thru the crap, but that's ALWAYS been true. it's not a reflection on the quality of music if your tastes have remained stagnant.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:07

colonial

I think because, as Oldham wrote on the cover of their first LP, THE STONES ARE A WAY OF LIFE.
That way of life had sense for my generation (I'm 53); it has no more meaning
today and I'm very sorry for you.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:09

jamesfdouglas
Good new music is out there. It just takes effort to find. More effort than Boomers are willing to give, apparently. More than a few grumpy old farts here...

i hear you, james. i'm an old fart, but at least i'm a happy one....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:17

24FPS
You don't have to move with the times if they suck.

Exactly.

Take note Colonial. Just because you get a fart in your mind and make another thread does not mean your observations are brilliant or funny or entertaining. You are the one that can't see - and obviously can't hear very well.

As for whatever new bands that have been dissed, does it ever occur to you that there are more than those bands in the world? People tell me I need to broaden my horizons? Ha ha. What do they know about me other than some comments I made about a band that I think sucks? Nothing.

If anyone has become "more like the Older Generation" it's The Rolling Stones, with severe exception to Ronnie, themselves. Petty morals they don't seem to have but they are OLDER.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home