Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: African-American Musicians who've got Inspiration from The Stones
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 15:46

What about African/Canadians? How about African/English? African/Irish?

Oh that's right - they don't call them selves anything like that, they just go by being called 'black'.

Only in the United States does that happen.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 5, 2011 16:05

While there's no doubt that Ike & Tina influenced the Stones, seeing as "Honky Tonk Woman" was the B-side of their "Come Together" single in 1970, I'd have to say that the influence went both ways.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 16:07

curtisdavis
Brue
Willie Weeks

Love the guitars on this and Ronnie's vocals.

me too and it's great to see Ringo !

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 17:41

skipstone

Oh that's right - they don't call them selves anything like that, they just go by being called 'black'.

Well most of the people born in the USA call them self "Americans" and they are for sure, but I was born in south of South America and I'm American too! Sorry, I couldn't resist it; just my 2 cents here.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2011 17:42

i was born in berkeley, but i still call myself an american.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 17:44

Back to the thread mean question... Beverly Knight, at least on her cd with Ronnie Wood?! No, no I guess it don't fit, sorry!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 17:57

Quique-stone
skipstone

Well most of the people born in the USA call them self "Americans" and they are for sure, but I was born in south of South America and I'm American too! Sorry, I couldn't resist it; just my 2 cents here.

Well, yes, right. That is a strange one I never understood, the whole 'Proud To Be An American' shit and all that. Which America? Because people in Mexico and Canada are Americans as well, as are people in Columbia and Brazil and on and on...

People I've met that are actually from Africa? They don't understand this whole 'African/American' thing. They're not from Africa, they're from the United States, because that refers to the US and nowhere else. White people don't run around calling themselves European/Americans...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2011 18:23

skipstone
Quique-stone
skipstone

Well, yes, right. That is a strange one I never understood, the whole 'Proud To Be An American' shit and all that. Which America? Because people in Mexico and Canada are Americans as well, as are people in Columbia and Brazil and on and on...

People I've met that are actually from Africa? They don't understand this whole 'African/American' thing. They're not from Africa, they're from the United States, because that refers to the US and nowhere else. White people don't run around calling themselves European/Americans...

back to the music stuff for you, skippy - this is waaaaaaay over your pay grade, i think....

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 5, 2011 21:14

bbkink
Come On
Absolutely Lenny Krawitz but Ike Turner, no way, he was playing rock-music already 1952...

You're absolutely right, but a Stones influence did creep up around Ike & Tina's
Come Together album. Also check out Ike's solo single "Taking Back My Name" you'll hear what I'm talkin' about!

rocket 88 by Ike is the first r&r song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-05 21:17 by rooster.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 6, 2011 00:05

curtisdavis
Myself is one..I love everything about the Stones..all periods and just their story and love for music is an inspiration.Know getting some of my black friends to see it is another thing..but playing guitar since 93 has me looked at weird by my own people..that is the younger ones who dont know shit for music.

curtisdavis..yea' How ya' going mate.For as long as I can remember African-American musicians have played a big part in The Rolling Stones band and then theres all the special guests that come on.But ya' dont see that many at there concerts why do ya' think that is?smoking smiley

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: May 6, 2011 01:50

That is a complicated question and answer.I was at a Clapton show in Atlanta 2004 and a guy asked me why not many black folks attend rock concerts?especially the one that r super black influenced...I say because alot of em dont do the research into the origins of music.I mean alot of old motown sounds like rock music...so I really dont understand...My love for rock started when I was about 8 or 9..I'm 42 now..I was living in Chicago and my mom worked for Phonogram or Polygram..which ever the one who had Rush on their label..my mom would get tons of promos..so I would listen to everything she had..It was very cool..I remember when she brought home Player lol....singing Baby Come Back llol..I loved it..and it progressed from there really..I started playing drums in school..I remember Miss You and Beast of Burden being played at partys my uncles had along with Santana and Jimi..by 1983 I was getting Zeppelin albums for Christmas.Now I love old soul from the 50s,60s,70s..even some of the 80s..but todays urban music sucks...dont get me wrong...I respect the people for doing their craft,but come on..please do some research on our past music legends...If they did then I would see more brothers at the Stones,Clapton,Santana,etc,etc,,,I love alot of artists so that makes my playing unique in my area.,,woww that was a hell of a rant.

Coming Down Again

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 7, 2011 10:07

Darryl Jones

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2011 10:41

mr_dja
While there's no doubt that Ike & Tina influenced the Stones, seeing as "Honky Tonk Woman" was the B-side of their "Come Together" single in 1970, I'd have to say that the influence went both ways.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Not just covering the Stones but really integrating the Stones groove (with a typical open G) into their music:

- Doxa

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 11:05

tina turner

Date: May 7, 2011 11:15

In regards to Ike & Tima Turner one needs to remember, of course, that they have had a substantial career years before - especially Ike - they heard anything of The Stones, and Ike was truely one of their idols - a real, original r&b hero - in the early days.

As far as I can see the Stones influence from the late 60's to early/mid-70's was more like "trying to be current" - adopting the trendy influences to their own stuff.

I recall reading I, TINA years ago where she claimed that Ike was the "conservative" who just tried to keep the band loyal to their "old" unfashionable rhythm&blues music (with which he was a master no doubt and Tina seemingly hated), It was Tina who was so fascinated of "rock and roll" that gave her new possilities and all that ("Honky Tonk Women", "Proud Mary", "Come Together"). I remember her making a kind of remark that the "white" 60's rock and roll "saved" her from Ike's influence in terms starting the process to her independency and solo career (tt's 24 years since I read the book but I remember Tina's (striking to me) distinction between the music she did with Ike before - rhythm & blues - and the music she get to know from The Stones, The Beatles etc. that opened their (and hers) musical horizon. That was odd to me since I thought - as I still do - that she and Ike did the best things during their "rhythm&blues" days. But that's me)

Anyway, what Keith told in LIFE does not quite confirm Ike's attitude claimed by Tina. Keith says that Ike was eager to learn the open G technique from him during 1969 tour they did together, and their (Turners') next album consisted totally using of it (I don't know about that - can anyone confirm?). It sounds like the affect of The Stones goes much deeper than what Tina seems to say as far as Ike is concerned (well, we know the shit going on between those two, but let us not go there but stay in music).

My take is that Ike was more or less opportunist like Jagger is - just trying to adopt the current hot things and make a lot of money... And the real "influence" is quite "thin" in the end. A bit like the Stones trying to be current with disco or funk during the 70's. The question of some songs.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 11:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 7, 2011 11:34

Date: May 7, 2011 12:15

With respect, Sleepy City et all, I think covering a Stones song is not really - or at least necesserily - a question of being "inspired" or "influenced"... We know, for example, the story of why Merry Clayton ended up making a cover of "Gimme Shelter" - that she once during a night brought up to studio in LA to sing a verse in a song of "thin white boys" or something grinning smiley. Of course she couldn't left that opportunity wasted but cut her own piece of it. I haven't listened Mrs. Clayton a lot but from what I have heard I don't hear The Stones at all.

The most famous of "black" covers is, of course, Otis Redding's "Satisfaction" that I think was a win-win choice to record for both sides. Mick and Keith were so proud that a big American black singer covers their tune, and for the soul master it was a clever move to get the attention of the white pop audiences.

But I don't hear anything "inspirational" or "being influenced by" in Otis version of "Satisfaction". To my yaers it sounds like Otis shows how the song supposed to be done if it were a true rhythm&blues/soul number. There is nothing "Stonesy" in it, all Otis. I recall reading that Otis didn't even liked the song in the first place - it was too "archaic" or something. (Anyway, I have never a big fan of Otis's version - I think something crucial is lost in translation. But I am a big fan of Otis.)

Okay, let's put the argument as plain as it can be. Can anyone really think that this man is "influenced" or "inspired" by The Rolling Stones even though he covers a Stones song:

Sometimes the distinction between the incredible commercial success and popularity of The Stones on one hand and their own heroes and sources of inspiration on the other is so huge that when the last mentioned "cover" the Stones, it is quite difficult to say what to think of it. Are they paying a homage to their "disciples" who also made them - the original blues masters - widely well known. Or just trying making few more dollars of this extraordinary realtionship between the blues and the pop. To me ears that just don't sound "natural" but more like embarrasing, like in the case of Muddy. There is no equilibrium between The Rolling Stones covering "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" and Muddy covering "Let's Spend The Night Together". We all know that.

In the end I would say that perhaps the first black musician who would really being inflyenced and inspired by The Stones is Jimi Hendrix - he belonged to the generation of black musicians who started to listen "white rock music" with an open ear and adopt it naturally into to his own music. Of course, The Stones is just one of Jimi's "rock" influences, and there is no one-to-one results to be seen. But I can not even say who is the second one?eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 12:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: May 7, 2011 14:22

I don't remember which one came early but
no musicians can break out of the infinite loop....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2011 17:22

Tone Loc

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: May 7, 2011 20:28

Terrence Trent D'arby did covers of quite few Stones songs.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 7, 2011 20:52

Mostly black folks dont go....they spend all their dimes on good times....we do have coloured fans in there....Think of the old boot leg lp period way back....no marvin g boots only one b marley boot....i was a bootleg fan ....black acts i seldom saw them...hendrix yeahs....but me never saw a Sly boot
the black crowd didnt buy it....its a bit stupid to talk about this...you remember the D ross in central park free concert...they all went...most of you dont want that!
remember the B bang Rome thread!}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 20:58 by rooster.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home