Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters at Blackpool Tower Ballroom. Wednesday 26th November, 2014.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 27, 2014 23:36

Hello,

Although I still enjoy Planty's collaboration with Ms Krauss a tad more than his latest LP featuring this superbly talented bunch of Space Shifters, this was always nailed-on to be a tremendous show, mainly because Robert still remembers just how much we love Zeppelin. And to keep himself interested he has found new arrangements for the songs that he has sung a million times over a billion years, so everyone wins.

This was also the case for the support act: The Last Internationale who are from NYC. You know sometimes instantly when some artist walks onstage that they belong there? A big tick for this three-piece, then...really assured and eager to show that they enjoy and are bloody good at what they do. At the risk of being a sexist idiot, it doesn't hurt that their vocalist and bass player would give Grace Potter a run for her money. Wow! Genuinely, I haven't enjoyed a support act as much since seeing Vintage Trouble open for The Two's Quad shows...high praise.

Some of you might already have heard from this chap...

He seemed a little subdued for all of 10 seconds until the warmth/racket from the Blackpool crowd let him know how much we appreciated him and there was plenty of mugging, laughing and a fair bit of joking in between numbers when appropriate.

The man clearly loves this LP and the players with him are fairly extraordinary as you'd expect. No surprises that we went predictably potty for the Zep material, re-arrangements regardless..."Going To California", "Friends","What Is And What Should Never Be", "Nobody's Fault But Mine", "Babe I'm Gonna Leve You", "Whole Lotta Love" and "Rock And Roll". Blimey. I will never tire of hearing the man sing them, even in his lower register. Just fantastic!

And the almost inevitable shoddy YouTube clip...a minute of a still-stupendous riff!

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

(Edited 'cos I had invented a place called 'NTC'. Really gotta read this rubbish before I post it, hah-hah!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-28 09:09 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters at Blackpool Tower Ballroom. Wednesday 26th November, 2014.
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2014 00:55

Unfortunately, Robert didn't play anywhere close to where I live this time. I've heard a few excellent boots though & enjoy the album. Really admire how he has stuck to his guns & continued to follow his muse. For me it is similar to how Jeff Beck has run his career. Wish more of that generation would follow suit & let us hear some more new material rather than live off past glories. I did get to meet Robert once & he was quite nice & very down to earth. Think that comes through with his art.smoking smiley

Re: O/T Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters at Blackpool Tower Ballroom. Wednesday 26th November, 2014.
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 28, 2014 01:15

Saw him in Paris in June (before the album was out actually) and it was a great show indeed, fantastic musicians, interesting arrangements and instruments. Can't say I'm a big fan of the album though, nothing very memorable on it I suppose...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 28, 2014 05:31

Hats off to Robert, sounds like he's doing what he loves and making lots of folks happy with his shows. Mixing some Zep tunes in there he is definitely hedging his bet and no doubt they get better crowd feedback than the new tunes, for better or worse.

Just wish Jimmy Page would get off his butt and do something similar. Even if it wasn't super successful the man could continue his craft and make lots of folks happy. peace

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 28, 2014 07:33

Robert Plant looks like he is out of the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 28, 2014 09:12

Sounds like a good gig Simon.

I also wish Jimmy Page would go out and do some live gigs.

The Stones,The Who, Robert ,Jeff and a few more are still doing it.

Jimmy has got so much talent and a lot of people would love to see him play live again. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 28, 2014 15:46

Naturalust
Hats off to Robert, sounds like he's doing what he loves and making lots of folks happy with his shows. Mixing some Zep tunes in there he is definitely hedging his bet and no doubt they get better crowd feedback than the new tunes, for better or worse.

Just wish Jimmy Page would get off his butt and do something similar. Even if it wasn't super successful the man could continue his craft and make lots of folks happy. peace

Robert definitely seems to enjoy his 'second career', mixing in some Zep tunes, sometimes re-wworked versions. I was never much of a Zep fan. Liked the first 2 albums, then hatted Plant's vocal style for much of the rest of their catalog. However like wine, he is getting better with age. No need for high pitched nasal screams or wails. His work with Krauss and since has been brilliant.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2014 21:49

Meanwhile Page was in Paris signing his latest book.
Make that : he refused to hand sign anything, he put a stamp on the books instead... eye rolling smiley

Go Robert you're on the right tracks!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 28, 2014 23:10

dcba
Make that : he refused to hand sign anything, he put a stamp on the books instead... eye rolling smiley

wtf? You're kidding right? Did they call it a book stamping? peace

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 28, 2014 23:59

I hope the band works better on stage, because i found his last album very Boring and overrated.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 2, 2014 16:05

Naturalust
dcba

wtf? You're kidding right? Did they call it a book stamping? peace

here you go [www2.gibson.com]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 2, 2014 16:34

I just downloaded Plants ITunes Festival show this morning filmed at the Roundhouse, I didn't realize he has Charles Manson playing guitar for him now...smiling smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 2, 2014 19:17

I am sure it is good but his latest work does not work for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home