Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger's white stage shoes circa 72-81 (Pat Boone bucks?)
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 09:48

Okay, I've always wondered about Mick's choice of footwear during the years of his most "athletic" performances. I've always called them "white bucks" but perhaps they are a dance shoe that is constructed differently. Anyway, there's something a bit incronguous--or at least I've always thought so--about Mick's shoes in concert 72-81 and the rest of his outfits and performances during those years. A dress shoe with a heel for those athletic performances?

Those shoes really looked odd with the football pants in 1981...but then again, that whole stage ensemble was...odd. Still his footwear choice in 81 appears to be the same as his choice in 78, 76, 75, 73, and 72. (At times he had some red or black shoes instead of white in 75/76, but they were the same type of shoe.)

Are these things comfortable? Do they have any kind of padding or support?

What brand are they? Has Jagger ever commented about these shoes!!!!!?????

I'm guessing they are more like this:

(these are called a "Men's White Dance Shoe")

And perhaps less like these, which are more traditional bucks. But I'm pretty sure I've Jagger in these, too.

Re: Jagger's white stage shoes circa 72-81 (Pat Boone bucks?)
Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: April 29, 2011 09:56

CAPEZIO'S man, best dance shoes in the world.....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 29, 2011 10:42

CrissCrossMind
CAPEZIO'S man, best dance shoes in the world.....

I would have asked Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly before writing that...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 24, 2011 19:10

Weren't these shoes called the "jazz sneakers" since it’s made for dancers, soft and pliable enough so you can feel the floor ?

Anyway ,some more photos here rocker1:

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 23:04

Love those shoes. I started wearing white Capezios in the early 80s to school. That was my little Jagger tribute. They became popular to the point you could get some knock-offs at Payless and places like that. But they looked cool, very unisex.
I loved Mick's style in the 70s, and the shoes were a big part of it.
He wore the dance shoes in concert, but he also wore those saddle shoes, white bucks, Fred Astaire-style shoes. Very classy and funky at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 23:06 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 25, 2011 01:10

I did the same thing! Went out and bought white Capezios, loved them! He didn't wear the white bucks on stage, they'd trip him up. He did have stage hands sprinkle 7-up on the stage during the '75 tour because that cool surface was a bit slippery and he needed more traction.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: May 25, 2011 01:49

mickschix
I did the same thing! Went out and bought white Capezios, loved them! He didn't wear the white bucks on stage, they'd trip him up. He did have stage hands sprinkle 7-up on the stage during the '75 tour because that cool surface was a bit slippery and he needed more traction.

The 7-UP was used to clean the stage during the 1972 USA tour.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 25, 2011 01:52

yeah and coke for 75......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: May 25, 2011 02:01

Rockman

yeah and coke for 75......

Thanks Rockman! I knew you would have a great response.

Date: May 25, 2011 02:03

mickschix

And I would switch them up with black ones. Loved them! because they were'nt prissy, not butch, but very rock and roll.
Yeah, I meant he wore the bucks and saddles off-stage - always thought they made him look elegant.
mickshix, was it a fad, circa 82-84? Because I had a hard time finding them later on. I know Capezio still exists. I had one pair, cream with the ornate pattern like a men's-style buck, wore them for years until they started to rip and I had no choice..... and I would put black shoelaces on to off-set the cream. lol....that was the extent of my fashion sense, but man, those shoes made it through high school with me. They were the coolest shoes ever and I have not been able to replace them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-25 02:05 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 25, 2011 02:13

Stupidguy, it wasn't a fad where I lived, in western Massachusetts . I think if it was a fad at all, it might have been in the 70's from '75 on and maybe into the early 80's after fans saw MIck wearing them on stage. I think I'll try to see if I can find a place on line where they still sell them. You can always go to dance studios, I bet they sell them there and check out ballet sights.
I understand now when you said Mick wore white bucks, off stage. I remember photos showing him wearing them, pretty snazzy!! Bet you looked good in yours too!

Date: May 25, 2011 02:23

They looked great with the argyle socks!
I do remember being able to buy cheap versions of the Capezio so I assumed it must have been a semi-fad about 82-3 because I lived in a small, un-trendy city outside Houston - never went to a dance store. Not sure if that's just nostalgia on my part but I keep thinking they were popular. I can't think of any reason for them to have been popular, "Flashdance"? Don't know. Mick had stopped wearing them by then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home