Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Anybody here who saw Rolling Stones in Bern 1973 ?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2011 18:52

resotele
hi all

just registered (after lurking for years) to answer to this thread.

I was there, I may know the taper, and the new recording is def. 26. september 1973, evening show.

Those were the days

resotele

Hi Resotele, and welcome - thanks for confirming; please let us know if there's any exact comments from Jagger or something that makes you remember
Or is it because you and the taper only saw one of the 3 gigs, together, and therefor that this recording must be the last show?

Strange that this very last Bern show was so much better than the others.
Jagger's completely in the sky - by sniffing something I reckon - does a great job at times; while over-does it at other songs - like Dancing With Mr D
The whole rest of the band does a great job all the way...especially Keith Richards. So nice that this recording was shared

oh, and thanks Silkcut and RollingOn....and everybody else contributing

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 5, 2011 22:05

Welcome aboard!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 6, 2011 10:57

guitarbastard
in was born 1973 in switzerland, but mama didnt allow me to go to see the shows..;-)

I was born 1973 in Sweden. Hang in there mate.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 14:48

With reference to the radio program at this link:

[www.bernerzeitung.ch]

I don't understand a word of German. Is this a 1973 broadcast? What they talk about?
At the end Angie is taken from the Berne 26 2nd show and is another source (better quality) respect to the William Tell Edition just surfaced. Could be the whole show fromthis source exists.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 6, 2011 16:22

I was 19 then, and a huge Stones Fan. But it's a long time since, and I don't really remember anything specific about the Shows in Bern. It was the first time I saw the Stones live, and it was very impressive. The sound, the lights (mirrored from above the stage), and it was all instantly new. We had no previews of the shows, we didn't know what they will play (no setlists on the (not existing) internet), we had no reports from earlier shows, and no tapes from earlier shows.

I could'nt afford more than one ticket, so I bought a ticket for the last show (clever, no?). The price was, I think sFr. 26.--. I succeeded in getting in without a ticket on the first show, 25th september 1973. I do know that the taper was not at this show, so the recording must be from the evening show on september 26th. (I missed the afternoon show that day as I did not succeed with my attempts to get in without a ticket).

As for the posted article in german : The local Newspaper BERNER ZEITUNG ran a weekley series about 50 years of rock music in Bern during. The article is from this series, and dates from april 2009. But it cites an article from 1973, in which the journalist complained about the Stones show in Bern. He wrote "The show was weak, very weak". And culminated in the statement "Good old hits are ok, but a Band that must base its "hqardest tour" on such old hits, belongs to the past. That's what the Stones are".

The broadcast by a local radio station, also from 2009, was accompaigning the series in the newspaper. It featured, as straycat58 states correctly, Angiefrom another source, but also from the late show of sep. 26th. I don't know if more parts of this tape exist, and if the taper would be willing to share them.

And finally ref. Jagger's form : Sniffing something, and maybe he (and Keith ?) were driven by Uschi ;-) Bern is not so far away from Munich...

Date: May 6, 2011 16:53

resotele
The broadcast by a local radio station, also from 2009, was accompaigning the series in the newspaper. It featured, as straycat58 states correctly, Angiefrom another source, but also from the late show of sep. 26th. I don't know if more parts of this tape exist, and if the taper would be willing to share them.

Fans in Berne should contact the local radio and investigate where this tape comes from and where's the rest..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2011 17:55

Straight from the Dime thread of discussion where the show was posted :

"This message just came today.

Hi Michael

Judge Free [that is the taper] told me this:
The recording is September 26th 1973 in the evening."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 17:56 by dcba.

Date: May 6, 2011 19:23

dcba
Straight from the Dime thread of discussion where the show was posted :

"This message just came today.

Hi Michael

Judge Free [that is the taper] told me this:
The recording is September 26th 1973 in the evening."

You mean the taper of the William Tell Edition or of the one broadcasted at the radio?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 19:23 by straycat58.

Date: May 6, 2011 19:27

straycat58
You mean the taper of the William Tell Edition or of the one broadcasted at the radio?

The taper

Posted by: dph ()
Date: May 6, 2011 21:52

I checked [www.nzentgraf.de] and Nico has one ticket stub for 9/26/73. He lists the 7:30 PM show (evening) as the FIRST show not the second. Bern ticket Mistake by Nico? What time was the other show?

Date: May 7, 2011 11:34

Rank Stranger
Around the time of the Berne/Munich/Fankfurt shows Bobby Keyes was forced to leave,maybe he didn't do much wrong after all; perhaps he had to go because the band was in a foul mood?

Bobby was forced to go during an incident with champagne, girls and a bathtub in Munich.....Keith mentioned this in "Life", allthough he didn't specify which city it took place in.
Just listen to the Frankfurt shows of 1973....it's quite clear that the sax-player don't know how to play Brown Sugar (!), so he makes up his own solo. So Frankfurt was the first show without Bobby.

Date: May 7, 2011 14:37

"Bobby was forced to go during an incident with champagne, girls and a bathtub in Munich.....Keith mentioned this in "Life", allthough he didn't specify which city it took place in."

I may be wrong but iirc this happened in 1970. To impress a French woman B.K. ordered enough bottles of fine champagne to fill his bathtub... This resulted in Bobby not making a penny from the 1970 Tour. >grinning smiley<

1973 was much gloomier : B.K. was deeply addicted to smack to the point it impaired his playing. Only Keith could do this and get away with it. B.K. probably thought he was the 6th Stones and could away with anything too...

He forgot he was just a sideman that is an employee of the Stones. And Nick Kent saw a poor Bobby being taken to a German airport and put in the 1st plane home sometime in the middle of the 73 tour...
When? Erik probably has the solution.

Date: May 7, 2011 16:48

dcba
He forgot he was just a sideman that is an employee of the Stones. And Nick Kent saw a poor Bobby being taken to a German airport and put in the 1st plane home sometime in the middle of the 73 tour...

Obviously in Munich Sept 29th (or 30th) as he was not present on the plane to Frankfurt

So you think the bath-tub-thingy took place in 1970? Why not both 1970 and 1973? Seems like a good idea in the first place, which oughta be repeated every now and then

Posted by: robertRMB ()
Date: June 3, 2011 12:34

I hope that the following helps to clarify some questions raised in this thread.
Resotele, Judge Free (whose tape is already circulating) and I went together to the evening show on Sept. 26th, as we are band mates for more than 40 years now. Judge Free and I were taping with our cassette recorders a considerable number of concerts at that time, and so also The Rolling Stones in Bern 1973. We kept both our archives closed until recently. In the meantime a couple of our tapes are circulating and from the discussion on an Uriah Heep recording it seems that my equipment yielded slightly better results. I used a Sanyo recorder and a Phillips microphone. We painted our microphones black in order to escape the security staff collecting recording equipments during the concerts.
When Sam (a lawyer, journalist and well known drummer) was preparing his series for the newspaper and the radio, we discussed the 1973 Stones show. As he was eager to include an excerpt of the concerts in his radio show, I lent him my first generation cassette (Agfa C90 low noise). He had it digitalised in the studio of Düde (a graphic designer and professional drummer during the 60ies and 70ies). Sam used Angie for the radio show. The sound is rather mashed, as the "Festhalle", where the concert tookplace, was known for its terrible accoustic qualities. And, the tape run out after 45 minutes, so Midnight Rambler has a cut after 5 minutes. Here you can download the full tape:
Version1 FLAC
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
Version1 mp3
[www.megaupload.com]

After the radio show I was contacted by Marc. He asked me for the tape to do an own digitalisation, and he did a terrific job. He edited the tape in a way that the sound is more crisp. The original tape is mono, but his stereo version gives some nice impression of space.
Version2 FLAC
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
Version2 mp3
[www.megaupload.com]

Here you'll find some artwork, which includes the cover of my cassette and a photograph from a poster for the concerts, which answers the question of scheduled times of the concerts:
[www.megaupload.com]

And some gossip background: The Stones resided not all in the same hotel on Sept. 26th. Mick Taylor stayed in a hotel with the road crew. I don't know about the others. And after the concert, when almost everybody was gone, Ruedi our bass player jumped on the stage and played Lady Madonna on the piano. He was approached by Claude Nobs, who was wondering, how it was to work with the Stones!
So much for today. Any interest in the Stones in Zurich 1976?

Date: June 3, 2011 12:55

So, what you are sharing here is a previously uncirculated recording of the evening show of Bern 26th - or maybe a lower generation and more complete version of what is known as "the Lost Bern show"......well that's really something - 38 years later - thanks very much
Oh and yes - of course there's interest in Zurich 1976 ! That was quite a nice performance - by 1976 standards. Is it the same source as the vinyl "Get Off Of My Stone" or a completely different one ?
THanks again - looks forward to listen to what you uploaded there, cheers

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: June 3, 2011 13:13

robertRMB
I hope that the following helps to clarify some questions raised in this thread.
Resotele, Judge Free (whose tape is already circulating) and I went together to the evening show on Sept. 26th, as we are band mates for more than 40 years now. Judge Free and I were taping with our cassette recorders a considerable number of concerts at that time, and so also The Rolling Stones in Bern 1973. We kept both our archives closed until recently. In the meantime a couple of our tapes are circulating and from the discussion on an Uriah Heep recording it seems that my equipment yielded slightly better results. I used a Sanyo recorder and a Phillips microphone. We painted our microphones black in order to escape the security staff collecting recording equipments during the concerts.
When Sam (a lawyer, journalist and well known drummer) was preparing his series for the newspaper and the radio, we discussed the 1973 Stones show. As he was eager to include an excerpt of the concerts in his radio show, I lent him my first generation cassette (Agfa C90 low noise). He had it digitalised in the studio of Düde (a graphic designer and professional drummer during the 60ies and 70ies). Sam used Angie for the radio show. The sound is rather mashed, as the "Festhalle", where the concert tookplace, was known for its terrible accoustic qualities. And, the tape run out after 45 minutes, so Midnight Rambler has a cut after 5 minutes. Here you can download the full tape:
Version1 FLAC
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
Version1 mp3
[www.megaupload.com]

After the radio show I was contacted by Marc. He asked me for the tape to do an own digitalisation, and he did a terrific job. He edited the tape in a way that the sound is more crisp. The original tape is mono, but his stereo version gives some nice impression of space.
Version2 FLAC
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
Version2 mp3
[www.megaupload.com]

Here you'll find some artwork, which includes the cover of my cassette and a photograph from a poster for the concerts, which answers the question of scheduled times of the concerts:
[www.megaupload.com]

And some gossip background: The Stones resided not all in the same hotel on Sept. 26th. Mick Taylor stayed in a hotel with the road crew. I don't know about the others. And after the concert, when almost everybody was gone, Ruedi our bass player jumped on the stage and played Lady Madonna on the piano. He was approached by Claude Nobs, who was wondering, how it was to work with the Stones!
So much for today. Any interest in the Stones in Zurich 1976?

What i understand is that the both versions are the same, but version 2 is reworked ?

Gr Ray

Date: June 3, 2011 13:24

"Any interest in the Stones in Zurich 1976?"

Yeah! And thx for the MU links and the story! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 15:45 by dcba.

Posted by: richardsberry ()
Date: June 3, 2011 13:50

Erik_Snow
dcba

Obviously in Munich Sept 29th (or 30th) as he was not present on the plane to Frankfurt

So you think the bath-tub-thingy took place in 1970? Why not both 1970 and 1973? Seems like a good idea in the first place, which oughta be repeated every now and then

Erik, you lead me to a big question in a Stones fan life !
So Bobby didn't play in Brussels, did he ? Who's playing after his departure ?

Date: June 3, 2011 13:53

Yep, your guess is right. Version2 sounds better in my humble opinion.

Date: June 3, 2011 13:55

richardsberry
Erik_Snow
dcba

Erik, you lead me to a big question in a Stones fan life !
So Bobby didn't play in Brussels, did he ? Who's playing after his departure ?

Trevor Lawrence did play the saxophone solos after Bobby Keys left, backed up by Steve Madaio on trumpet and trumbone.

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: June 3, 2011 14:24

the new upload version 2 is 69.26 here on megaupload and the dimeversion is 70.24
What is the different ?

Gr Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 14:24 by Keessie.

Date: June 3, 2011 14:30

Keessie
the new upload version 2 is 69.26 here on megaupload and the dimeversion is 70.24
What is the different ?

robertRMB
.... And, the tape run out after 45 minutes, so Midnight Rambler has a cut after 5 minutes. ...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 3, 2011 14:36

Finally some interesting stuff here again! Thanx for that!
Think I overlooked the thread before.

I've been to quite a few of the 73 dates but not to the swiss gigs.

As I can't download unfortunately (at least at the moment), - how is the rec./performance quality compared to the 2 Swiss Made shows from VGP?

Btw those were the Bern concerts where both Mick and Keith drove after the (last?) show up to Munich to "visit" Uschi Obermeier . .

Date: June 3, 2011 14:36

Erik_Snow
So, what you are sharing here is a previously uncirculated recording of the evening show of Bern 26th - or maybe a lower generation and more complete version of what is known as "the Lost Bern show"......well that's really something - 38 years later - thanks very much
Oh and yes - of course there's interest in Zurich 1976 ! That was quite a nice performance - by 1976 standards. Is it the same source as the vinyl "Get Off Of My Stone" or a completely different one ?
Yes to question 1: previously uncirculated recording, it has nothing to do with "The Lost Bern Show".
No to question 2: I'm talking about an uncirculated tape of my archive.

Date: June 3, 2011 14:50

robertRMB
Erik_Snow
Yes to question 1: previously uncirculated recording, it has nothing to do with "The Lost Bern Show".
No to question 2: I'm talking about an uncirculated tape of my archive.

Thanks for the reply ! And also thanks if considering sharing the Zurich 1976 recording!

Just started listening to your Bern 1973 recording (the "remaster), btw, it's quite good ! Not as much "punch" as the "Judge Free" capture, maybe, but in one way it's clearer sounding - I wouldn't be without any of those 2 recordings.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 3, 2011 16:20

I'd also love to hear your Zurich '76 tape...thanks, EddieByword

Date: June 3, 2011 18:48

@RobertRMB
I'll put this excellent share of yours up on DIME, unless you'd like to do it yourself - including all the info and artworks and everything.
Just think that this great share of yours should be shared to as many as possible before the "bootlegers" releases "their new source".....they're reading this board, unforunately
And yes, I find the remaster to be a better listen, me too.

Date: June 3, 2011 20:52

@Erik_Snow: Ok if you uplaod on Dime.

For those who aked for Zurich 1976, June 15th concert:
The concert was sold out in advance. However, on the day of concert you could easily still get tickets. Our group could not sell our spare ticket that day (one of the group didn't show up), we burnt it!
The Meters started just in time, and there was the long wait for the Stones. Stage annoucement at the time, the Stones should have started the show: their plane just left southern France!
There is some trouble with the tape of this concert. Overall the sound is not too good due to the accoustics in the hall. Additionally I was too far away from the stage. The tape is not in a good condition. There are some very nasty drop outs and distorsions in "Brown Sugar" and "Street Fighting Men". I cut the parts out to get a good sound picture. And of course I had to turn cassette in YCADWYW.
So here are the mp3s:
[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]
In the artwork I included a nice shot of Mick. The friend of friend was as a photographer in the pit:
[www.megaupload.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 20:57 by robertRMB.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 3, 2011 21:21

v

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 22:40 by MILKYWAY.

Date: June 3, 2011 21:35

RE the "Jagger in Zurich1976.jpg" pic : are you sure it was taken in 1976. Looks very 1973 to me... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-03 21:40 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home