Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jumping Jack Flash - Shine A Light
Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: November 1, 2014 13:08

I watched the Scorsese movie, Shine A Light yesterday and by accident I found Jumping Jack Flash from the movie on YouTube, there it was tuned down a half step but when I compared the two versions the picture was exactly the same during the whole song.

[www.youtube.com] - Here is the tuned down version.

[www.youtube.com] - Here is the "regular" version, as they use to play it live.

As you can see the picture is exactly the same, but the sound differs.

I know the Stones did to gigs at the Beacon Theatre when making the movie. But how is it possible to use the same picture for both versions?

Probably they have mixed it up in some way. Maybe they used the sound from the fist gig and the picture from the other, it is amazing how synced it is with the picture.

I found the same issue with You Got The Silver, as well.

Strange isn't it?

Re: Jumping Jack Flash - Shine A Light
Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: November 1, 2014 13:11

Or have they just tuned down the sound in the editing, simple as that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-01 13:12 by MacLaurens.

Date: November 1, 2014 13:12

PAL and NTSC...

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: November 1, 2014 13:23

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with the fact that there were two shows. Except for the bonus tracks, Shine A Light was recorded on the second night.
If you compare the first video (which you call "tuned down" ) with the Audio CD release of Shine A Light, you should probably notice no difference. The second one however seems to render the sound of the real DVD release. The way Scorsese and his crew "modified" the sound for the movie has already been discussed here a few times. It's obvious that for example Keith's guitar or Charlie's drums are always in the foreground soundwise whenever they are captured alone. Therefore we have many sound enhancements that are not really natural. For an audio / CD release, this method wouldn't have made so much sense for sure and that's why we have these different sound versions of the very same gig.
(As far as I know, this phenomenon is related to Sweet Summer Sun / Hyde Park Live as well)
If I am right, still the question will be: How come somebody synchronized the picture of the DVD with the sound from the CDs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-01 13:23 by maradona.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 1, 2014 18:04

I was there that night. Can even see the back of my head at the 00:57 dolly shot of Ronnie. Fantastic gig that the film does not do justice. The audio is correct on the second 'regular' one. I think DP is probably right regarding PAL/NTSC. HOWEVER...

On Youtube, if you upload something that is copywritten (Stones, JJFLash, Shine a Light would be flagged immediately), the audio gets flagged and the video blocked. One way people get around this is to speed up or slow down the audio. That might be what this person did in order to get the clip uploaded initially.

I'd guess PAL/NTSC issue though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home