Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Are COLDPLAY and MUSE the new STONES/BEATLES? Who's gonna carry on?
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:49

I think our beloved rock music is dead angry smiley . . . with that said, I think Coldplay and Muse are awful rock bands tongue sticking out smiley. . .

The other comparison I can make to Beatles and Stones; or Beatles vs. Stones is Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Nothing will ever compare to the Beatles and the Stones, never ever again will rock music be so important . . . never. That time has come and gone.confused smiley

The only comparison I can make, again not saying these two so-called grunge bands rise near the level of either the Beatles or Stones but . . .

Most rock historians would probably agree that:
1. The Beatles were perceived as slightly better musicians than the Stones
2. The Beatles "broke through" and the others bands followed (the British Invasion)
3. The Rolling Stones outlasted the Beatles and continue on . . .
4. The Rolling stones became the biggest band in the world
-------

1. Nirvana were percieved as slightly better musicians than Pearl Jam
2. Nirvana "broke through" and the others bands followed (Seattle scene/ so called grunge)
3. Pearl Jam oulasted Nirvana and continue on . . .
4. Pearl Jam became the biggest band in the world (at least in the early 90's) (also presently probably the best live rock act out there, if you haven't seen them, you might want to check it out . . . they kinda blow coldplay and muse off the stage, not really in the same league)

All in all just thougts and opinions of course and always fun to throw it out there . . . thanks for reading, now back to Charlotte 72!

Posted by: fd2005 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:49

Crap crap crap

Posted by: fd2005 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:50

They suck

Re: OT: Are COLDPLAY and MUSE the new modern version of the STONES/BEATLES?
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 3, 2011 20:05

Kings of Leon are growing on me.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 3, 2011 20:46

Why does any band today have to carrry a stamp of approval (aka "the torch passed") by armchair-music fans too old and grumpy to invest any true time in dicovering what they're really about on their own?

Who are the Beatles and Stones of today?
Is this what's it come to for boomers?

Having such a myopic detachment from anything realeased in the last 30 years (oops, I meant 40-plus) that you have to pigeon-hole any band now making decent waves as "Oh... THEY might be the new Beatles... and oh, THEY must be the the new Stones..., and HE'S the new Dylan because there have only ever been three artists that will ever matter in the history of EVERYTHING"

Coldplay is Coldplay.
Muse is Muse.
The 60's are over.
Feel free to join the rest of the world into the 21 Century.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-03 20:48 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 3, 2011 20:49

jamesfdouglas
Why does any band today have to carrry a stamp of approval (aka "the torch passed") by armchair-music fans too old and grumpy to invest any true time in dicovering what they're really about on their own?

Having such a myopic detachment from anything realeased in the last 30 years (oops, I meant 40-plus) that you have to pigeon-hole any band now making decent waves as "Oh... THEY might be the new Beatles... and oh, THEY must be the the new Stones..., and HE'S the new Dylan because there have only ever been three artists that will ever matter in the history of EVERYTHING"

Coldplay is Coldplay.
Muse is Muse.
The 60's are over.

Nice!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 3, 2011 21:14

Nobody has to be the new anything. When were the Stones ever "the new whatever?" In fact, any act that has to promote itself as "the new whatever" is almost by definition rubbish - where's the originality?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 3, 2011 21:39

Green Lady
In fact, any act that has to promote itself as "the new whatever" is almost by definition rubbish

that sets it up for later bands to be the "new rubbish."

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 3, 2011 21:45

StonesTod
Green Lady
In fact, any act that has to promote itself as "the new whatever" is almost by definition rubbish

I'd like to see a reunion of the original rubbish. They might have been rubbish but at least they were original.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 3, 2011 21:47

well said, jamesfdouglas!

Date: May 3, 2011 21:51

Thricenay
StonesTod
Green Lady

I'd like to see a reunion of the original rubbish. They might have been rubbish but at least they were original.

edgar winter's white trash?

Posted by: keefyboy ()
Date: May 3, 2011 23:21

dcba
COLDPLAY and MUSE are the new modern version of the BEATLES = they're both crap bands like the Beatles were...

I know it's only your opinion and yes you can say whatever you like BUT..I can't help but comment on what you have said.

It is just plain childish to say the Beatles were crap, you just can't know what you are saying. the Beatles have been and proberbley always will be the best thing that happened to modern pop and rock music. They were so ahead of their time and very very clever song writers.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: May 4, 2011 03:16

jamesfdouglas

Coldplay is Coldplay.
Muse is Muse.
The 60's are over.

Dude , how about reading my ENTIRE thing about music. I didn't stop at Stones/Beatles, I'm into Dead Weather and a few other new-ish bands (see next post)

Date: May 4, 2011 03:18

HERE, READ THIS. DON'T BE SO LAZY

CrissCrossMind
yeah but the system worked until recently. You had Elvis/Chuck Berry/Roy Orbison/Johnny Cash. Then you had the Stones/Beatles/Dylan. Then you had Zeppelin/Elton John/Bowie/Springsteen. Then you had U2/Madonna/Prince/Michael Jackson/Mellencamp. Then you had Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Nine Inch Nails/Sheryl Crow and now it doesn't seem like there's ANYBODY. I think my theory flies, It's pretty accurate IMHO.... So who's gonna carry on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-04 03:19 by CrissCrossMind.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: May 4, 2011 03:54

CrissCrossMind, look at your headline.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 03:57

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 04:55

Green Lady
Nobody has to be the new anything. When were the Stones ever "the new whatever?" In fact, any act that has to promote itself as "the new whatever" is almost by definition rubbish - where's the originality?

Are there any acts that actually promoted themselves as the new anything? I know some people many times put those tags on some artist, but the band/singer selling itself as the new something? It'd be f*cking pathetic indeed.

Date: May 4, 2011 04:55

ineedadrink
CrissCrossMind, look at your headline.

That was cause I was watching the COCHELLA FESTIVAL (4/15-17) in the California Dessert (on the computer) and MUSE was the big headline act - then I put on an all music channel (on the Big Screen/Satellite) and they had COLDPLAY as the headliner at another giant festival somewhere... could have picked 2 different names but they had to be new-ish, nothing as old as U2 or anything.....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2011 05:43

Green Lady
When were the Stones ever "the new whatever?"

In 1964, when they were England's newest hitmakers.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 4, 2011 09:50

There is a huge difference - The Stones and The Beatles pretty much defined rock / pop music (what you want to call it) on the basis of those before them (Chuck, Elvis, the blues heros...). It was a revolution back then and music was so important for the young generation. There were no computer games, no internet and other things that are generally much more important for the kids and teenagers today.

The seventies and eighties also brought their own music that was important for the current generations. The last inovative movement in rock music was grunge in the very early nineties. Pretty much nothing has happend since then (which has been 20 years now), except of the gigantic tours, but that is just the way of presentation, nothing new in music really.

I mean, okay, Coldplay can play for thousands in a stadium, but what new did they bring to he pop / rock music? What could be called revolutionary about them? They play music that you like or you donĀ“t like. Music today is really much used as a background thing. The kids download it from the net, give it 1 listen and leave it on the hard disc...How could that be compared to the thrill of expecting the new Stones / Beatles record, queuing in front of the store, bringing the record back home and playin it all night? I didn't live in the sixties, but I can vividly imagine it.

All in all, the situation in the music bussines is dramaticaly different than it used to be 50 years ago, so one can not really compare. The more grateful we have to be we still have some heroes from those times with us, eventhoug they might be hitting a couple of more bum notes than they used to. But they are the real deal. Done deal :-)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 4, 2011 17:58

I always cringe when someone says the Beatles are CRAP....I wonder what their measure of great music is...Sure, the Stones, but what else? There ARE no contemporary bands that come close to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Clapton, Kinks, etc and that's why many 50+ year olds listen to classic rock. Coldplay...leaves me COLD.... sorry, I had to. I will go out on a limb and say there will never be another Sgt Pepper, EXILE, TOMMY, in our lifetime or even beyond. Why do you think these masterpieces carry so much weight 40+ years beyond their issue date? So, who will carry on? The classic rock standards will carry on, the new stuff is simply a flash in the pan.

Date: May 4, 2011 18:03

nothing wrong with the beatles. nothing wrong with the new stuff, either. now, let's all please get back to whatever it was we were doing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2011 18:22

I don't see Coldplay or Muse as disciples to The Rolling Stones. Classic, bluesbased rock and roll is already a marginalised phenomenon on the popular charts. Rock and roll will become something for a small, esoteric elite like blues or jazz is today.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2011 19:47

I think U2 and Bruce Springsteen will carry the torch another decade after the Stones quits. If that means till the year 2017 or 2022 remains to see.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2011 19:53

stonescrow
sweetcharmedlife
stonescrow
Midnight Toker
no way. their music will never and i mean never, stand the test of time like the stones and beatles. who the hell is muse anyway?

It is amazing that here we stand roughly a half century after the Beatles and Rolling Stones began and they are still considered by many to be the two greatest rock/pop bands of all time. We really should feel blessed that one of them is still rollin, and they will roll in 2012!
Well 1/4 of The Beatles is still rolling in 2011.smiling bouncing smiley

Actually 1/2! I thought Ringo's latest album was better than ABB! How about the sons of the Beatles forming a band? How great would that be?

As a Beatles fan, I can safely say that it would be f***ing horrible beyond words.

What makes anyone assume it would be 'great' just because of who their fathers were?

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:40

Some of the current blues acts seem to be more Rock and Roll than blues to me. If you like older style Rock and Roll you might check out some new Blues.

Date: May 5, 2011 15:18

tatters
Green Lady
When were the Stones ever "the new whatever?"

In 1964, when they were England's newest hitmakers.

...Cee-gar for that man! smileys with beer

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 15:29

Coldplay are total utter crap. Muse is better then Coldplay but whatever.

There is not one way not any way that they could ever or could possibly represent anything remotely distantly close to any "new" Stones/Beatles trip.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: June 8, 2011 18:43

The new Coldplay song...maybe worse than the X-mas single !

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 8, 2011 18:55

Massimo68
The new Coldplay song...maybe worse than the X-mas single !

I'll admit to liking a few Coldplay songs. But this thing is just awful.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home