Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
40 years since Sticky Fingers!
Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:35

Let's drink to Sticky Fingers 40th anniversary! It might just be the best Stones album ever, even better than Exile.

Let it rock! smileys with beer

Re: 40 years since Sticky Fingers!
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:42

I know a few fans who call SF the best Stones record.
I give EOMS the edge, but SF is incredible.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: April 23, 2011 12:27

MKjan
I know a few fans who call SF the best Stones record.

FAR THE BEST!!!!!!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 23, 2011 14:00

I´ll definitely have some ecological Easter schnapps today to celebrate the greatest Stones album!!>grinning smiley<smileys with beerdrinking smileythumbs upgrinning smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 23, 2011 14:47

Sticky Fingers has been my favorite record for a long long time. It seems that the Rolling Stones must have been super motivated as that LP was the first record of theirs released on their own newly created Rolling Stones Records. Congratulations!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: April 23, 2011 14:52

...One of the all-time Greatest, ever been made by anybody.
Let's raise a Belgian beer for it!! smileys with beer

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 23, 2011 15:50

I remember buying the LP after school at it's release day. Running home.
Playing it. Then giving a schoolmate a phonecall to play it over the phone.
My fav after 1st time hearing was Dead Flowers. 40 years and remembering it so well.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 23, 2011 15:51

SF is probably the Stones' best album, one of the greatest records in the history of popular music.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: April 23, 2011 16:00

My favorite album of all-time by any artist.

I can't imagine how many times I've played it from start to finish in one sitting. Too many. The songs leave you wanting more, so you keep on listening. From the rocking Brown Sugar to the powerful Moonlight Mile, this is one record that can never be matched.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 23, 2011 16:41

I'll drink to Sticky Fingers!! Not a bad track on it, maybe not my favorite Stones album but in the top 3.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 23, 2011 16:54

My favorite Stones album. My favorite album by anyone, with the possible exception of Who's Next.

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: April 23, 2011 18:25

This music is still fresh, golden era of our boys.
Mick T signed my SF last year.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 23, 2011 18:52

yeah--SF was great, but "aftermath" is stil my no.1!

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 23, 2011 19:03

bisonvodka

Taylor has said in an interview (2001, ten years ago) that SF is "probably" his favorite Stones album, mentioning especially Brown Sugar and Sway.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 23, 2011 19:07

kleermaker
bisonvodka

Taylor has said in an interview (2001, ten years ago) that SF is "probably" his favorite Stones album, mentioning especially Brown Sugar and Sway.

He's said that about Beggars Banquet as well.

I think SF is the best of their 70's output though.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 23, 2011 19:59

A little mention for Jeremy Spencer on that page. I love his slide playing. A little dotty, but so was Brian.

Sticky Fingers is quite a triumph that for some reason doesn't get the pub that it's bookends, Let It Bleed and Exile get. That might change as people don't think of the albums sequentially like we who lived through the times do. I still remember hearing Brown Sugar for the first time on an old jukebox in a pool hall. And Moonlight Mile is up there with the best productions. When those strings take off it's goose bumps time.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 23, 2011 20:26

Exciting times. Just that one page is loaded with stuff. A 6 degrees of separation thing: I see Fuzzy Samuels mentioned with CSN&Y. He played bass with Alvin Lee and Taylor in late '81.

But I have to repeat: I have never done this before and am surprised at its impact on how I hear the album. I think the album makes MUCH more sense (at least in the CD age) in this order: BS; Bitch; CYHMK; Sway; DF; WH; IGTBlues; YGM; SM; and MLM. IMO it flows better. It takes you on a journey, mood-wise. I will not listen to it again in its original order. That sounds extravagant, but I am serious.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 23, 2011 20:34

Well, it makes me wonder if in a hundred years and people are still listening to this music whether they'll keep them all neat and tidy in their individual albums and running orders. Many of us who grew up in the time can still probably give the positioning of each cut on Beatles and Stones albums. This already became less relevant as the CD ruined the concept of album sides.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 23, 2011 21:37

His Majesty
kleermaker
bisonvodka

He's said that about Beggars Banquet as well.

I think SF is the best of their 70's output though.

HM, the question was indeed "Which album you played on etc".

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 23, 2011 21:46

I love Exile dearly, but Sticky Fingers is the definitive, quintessential Stones record. Period. If you dare argue this with me I may have to show you the blade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-23 21:46 by theimposter.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: April 23, 2011 21:56

I was depressed when I realised that it was as long from Let it Bleed until The Stones Roses as it was from The Stones Roses until today. And now today is yesterday. The day before yesterday. Balls.

Probably my choice for Stones Album No. 2 (after Beggars Banquet).

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: April 23, 2011 22:00

I found this yetsrday in Clash, and how true is about optimisam of 60's and nihilism of 70's. And what to say about 80's and so...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 23, 2011 22:07

Sticky is a solid Respectable second to Exile in greatest Stones albums.

Date: April 23, 2011 22:22

JJackFl

I found this yetsrday in Clash, and how true is about optimisam of 60's and nihilism of 70's. And what to say about 80's and so...

The 80's? That's a good question. I am among the ones who don't like most of the music from that decade. Yeah I love to hate the 80's. "New Wave" was the shit, and to me that was it was. Things had to be new,slick,bright&shiny,moneymaking,Wallstreet, ruthless,so ...capitalism in the 80's .
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 23, 2011 23:31

24FPS
Well, it makes me wonder if in a hundred years and people are still listening to this music whether they'll keep them all neat and tidy in their individual albums and running orders. Many of us who grew up in the time can still probably give the positioning of each cut on Beatles and Stones albums. This already became less relevant as the CD ruined the concept of album sides.

It's already become completely irrelevant as itunes has ruined the concept of albums.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: April 24, 2011 00:25

Let's celebrate!! It was a new sound with horns back in those days. Open a beer and put it in your stereo tonight........and hear what a fantastic record it is! Maybe the best one ever. It's more of a problem that some of us that remember the day it was out in the shops - but it maybe a bigger problem for those that can't remember, he,he.
Hope to see you all on tour as soon as possible. Let`s hope some of the stuff from Sticky Fingers will be played live again!
.....and have a nice easter.

All the best.

Per-Arne

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 24, 2011 00:48

A bridge. Never thought about this. But real true. Finalized by Exile. BB and LIB vs SF & Exile. No. 60's vs 70's and 80's. Nevetheless,aAll those four could be written now. Nothing to be changed. Intemporal.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 24, 2011 00:52

Yeah agreed, under the boardwalk---down by the sea is still my no.1!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 24, 2011 01:27

[www.undercover.fm]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: April 24, 2011 01:33

I remember reading about the recording of "Brown Sugar,Wild Horses and You gotta move" done at Muscle Shoals in 1969 while the Stones were touring the USA. The studio was very rudimentary( compare to nowadays studios) and the recordings were made "on the fly". And yet the music that came out of that room is just purely beautiful.I'm drinking Rebel Yell to celebrate Sticky's 40th.Cheers!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home