Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT : "BLACK " PEARL JAM 's best version
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 22, 2011 22:15

<<Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
All five horizons revolved around her soul
As the earth to the sun
Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn

Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
Ooh, I know she gave me all that she wore
And now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds
Of what was everything.
Oh, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...<<

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: OT : "BLACK " PEARL JAM 's best version
Date: April 22, 2011 22:19

Date: April 22, 2011 22:20

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 22, 2011 22:28

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:14

Black IS my favorite Pearl Jam song.

Date: April 23, 2011 12:28

BluzDude
Black IS my favorite Pearl Jam song.

Yes it is,with "Garden" .smiling smiley

I think this version live in Atlanta is awesome !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 14, 2011 23:41

It sounds sloppy & slow compared to the other versions but the crowd said it all ,didn't it ?
<<It feels so good !<<

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 14, 2011 23:57

Black is good. But this is better.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 15, 2011 00:09

It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black. - Nigel Tufnel

Date: June 15, 2011 01:31

yes SCL YL is up there with BLK ... for me at least

Date: June 15, 2011 01:39

BluzDude
TY BD.cool smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: June 15, 2011 12:05

BluzDude
bluzdude ,AIUI ,YTA with me when if I say that BLK is the best Pearl Jam song ?smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 15, 2011 15:33

I once bought a PJ dvd (NYC'03 iirc). It was in the bargain bin & the only song I liked was... the cover of "Prodigal Son". So PJ is a mystery to me.

Probably the least talented band out of Seattle... apart from Nirvana.

Date: June 15, 2011 20:16

dcba
So PJ is a mystery to me.

An unreleased Pearl Jam track ... smoking smiley

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 17:14

SwayStones
<<Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me as her body once did.
All five horizons revolved around her soul
As the earth to the sun
Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn

Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
Ooh, I know she gave me all that she wore
And now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds
Of what was everything.
Oh, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...<<

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, swaystone, you are alright in my book, my friendsmileys with beer

I like some of the early versions, but Vedder's voice had yet to mature, there was still alot of youthful anst.

I prefer the versions from 1995 through 2000, and a few versions from the last couple years because Stone Gossard plays electric.

Starting in 2003 and a few years afterward he played acoustic and for me it takes away from the fullness of the song particularly during Mike McCready's wonderful solo, which at certain shows make grown men cry!winking smiley

Here is a version from 2000; Stone on electric . . .

Date: June 16, 2011 18:58

NorthShoreBlues I am glad to read that I am not the only one on this board -with Mr BluzDude & you - who finds Pearl Jam interesting - musically talking .

Anyway,thanks for your meaningful answer.smileys with beer

<<I like some of the early versions, but Vedder's voice had yet to mature,<<

Agreed .Vedder's voice is the main reason why I had a crush on PJ.Then I listened to the music .
I got "hooked up" by this song & the way he sungs it .
Powerfull & soft at the same time .

Date: June 16, 2011 19:07

SwayStones
NorthShoreBlues I am glad to read that I am not the only one on this board -with Mr BluzDude & you - who finds Pearl Jam interesting - musically talking .

Anyway,thanks for your meaningful answer.smileys with beer

<<I like some of the early versions, but Vedder's voice had yet to mature,<<

Agreed .Vedder's voice is the main reason why I had a crush on PJ.Then I listened to the music .
I got "hooked up" by this song & the way he sungs it .
Powerfull & soft at the same time .

Sawystone, yes very interesting . . . "powerful yet soft"; the duality of man!!! Alot of the early grunge stuff was like that: soft but heavy; I love you, I hate you . . . but as I'm sure we agree Pearl Jam's music rose above the so called grunge scene, its truley rock music fueled by the influences of the Who, Dylan, Punk music, 70's arena rock . . . again the duality of manwinking smiley

Just saw Vedder in Providence,Rhode Island last night solo show (wonderful rendition of Dylan's Forever Young) . . . and tonight I'm seeing him in my hometown . . . the city of champions, the center of the universe (just kidding) Boston!

They are my band, I grew up with them. I've seen them over 40 times (helps when the setlist changes every night) Swaystone, have you seen PJ in your wonderful country? They have had many incredible shows in Paris and within France . . .

Date: June 16, 2011 19:46

I hope they play some west coast dates this year. Maybe this time I might actually catch a show where they play Black .

Date: June 16, 2011 19:47

NorthShoreBlues2
[. I've seen them over 40 times (helps when the setlist changes every night) Swaystone, have you seen PJ in your wonderful country? They have had many incredible shows in Paris and within France . . .

eye popping smiley
40 times ? Really ?
For " work purposes" I guess .
I am afraid to know how many times you saw the Stones on live ,then smiling smiley

No,I haven't seen any Pearl Jam 'shows in Paris /France .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-16 19:51 by SwayStones.

Date: June 16, 2011 19:57

BluzDude
I hope they play some west coast dates this year. Maybe this time I might actually catch a show where they play Black .
Eddie's on a solo tour at the moment.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 16, 2011 21:16

PJ!

Love hate story-

years ago I asked a friend who was going to NY to bring me back the "coolest" stuff on the overseas market. He returned with Ten. I was simply blown away by it. I missed the first concert in Milano, not the second, June 1992: blown away once again!! AND Black was the highlight of both album and concert.

Avidly loved the follow up VS. but lost them with Vitalogy (which I diligently bought on vinyl). Missed the following 2 albums. One day I found live on two legs in the discount bin and couldn't resist getting it. Blown again once again, and bough right away the 2 albums I missed. No Code great, Yeld so and so.

Live on two legs is still one of my favourite CDs, mainly due to Black ... WHAT a solo ...

Binaural, despite the huge nothing as it seems, was not exactly great. Not even close. The same can be said of the following, althoug Riot Act and Pearl Jam were slightly better.

What I truly miss in the recent output of the band was the rhythmical variety of the first albums (stuff like WMA for example) Cameron is great, one of the best, but bi-dimentional. Dave Abruzzese was the man (by the way he was on drums the last time I say Bernard Fowler's super band).
(Got to say that on the long run also Vedder can sing basically two things - ballads or punk rock, when he tries something different, well, he is not exactly what I call a subtle singer)

In between I saw them live 2 more times, and was always blown away.

All in all, I too sort of grew up with them, and love them dearly. And I still think that the guitarwork that Mike and Stone put together (above all on the ballads) is the best stuff recorded in ages

And they wrote the second best song of the 90s (black)

And the best song of the 90s (Indifference)

End of the story!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-16 21:18 by liddas.

Date: June 16, 2011 22:02

SwayStones
NorthShoreBlues2
[. I've seen them over 40 times (helps when the setlist changes every night) Swaystone, have you seen PJ in your wonderful country? They have had many incredible shows in Paris and within France . . .

eye popping smiley
40 times ? Really ?
For " work purposes" I guess .
I am afraid to know how many times you saw the Stones on live ,then smiling smiley

No,I haven't seen any Pearl Jam 'shows in Paris /France .

Yeah, I know is crazy, I've only seen the Stones about 25 times, the last few tours, I just couldn't go to multiple shows, I'm kind of a setlist snobeye rolling smiley

PJ have been in Europe in 92, 93, 96, 00, 06, 07, 09, and '10 . . . you should try to go the next time, its really a great rock music experience . . .grinning smiley

Date: June 16, 2011 22:05

BluzDude

Thats so funny, I have a friend who has seen them 7 times and no Black, hahahahaha, oh man that sucks; I've seen Black many times and it never fails you always catch someone crying eye popping smiley

PJ is playing Vancouver in September . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-16 22:11 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Date: June 16, 2011 22:08

liddas
PJ!

Love hate story-

years ago I asked a friend who was going to NY to bring me back the "coolest" stuff on the overseas market. He returned with Ten. I was simply blown away by it. I missed the first concert in Milano, not the second, June 1992: blown away once again!! AND Black was the highlight of both album and concert.

Avidly loved the follow up VS. but lost them with Vitalogy (which I diligently bought on vinyl). Missed the following 2 albums. One day I found live on two legs in the discount bin and couldn't resist getting it. Blown again once again, and bough right away the 2 albums I missed. No Code great, Yeld so and so.

Live on two legs is still one of my favourite CDs, mainly due to Black ... WHAT a solo ...

Binaural, despite the huge nothing as it seems, was not exactly great. Not even close. The same can be said of the following, althoug Riot Act and Pearl Jam were slightly better.

What I truly miss in the recent output of the band was the rhythmical variety of the first albums (stuff like WMA for example) Cameron is great, one of the best, but bi-dimentional. Dave Abruzzese was the man (by the way he was on drums the last time I say Bernard Fowler's super band).
(Got to say that on the long run also Vedder can sing basically two things - ballads or punk rock, when he tries something different, well, he is not exactly what I call a subtle singer)

In between I saw them live 2 more times, and was always blown away.

All in all, I too sort of grew up with them, and love them dearly. And I still think that the guitarwork that Mike and Stone put together (above all on the ballads) is the best stuff recorded in ages

And they wrote the second best song of the 90s (black)

And the best song of the 90s (Indifference)

End of the story!

C

Right on C! smileys with beer . . . I hear you. You should, however, give Yield another chance, it probably my favorite if I had to choose; many in the PJ scene and many in the rock press consider Yield to be their one of their best. I think it definaly is outside first 2; its like their best "mature" album . . . keep on rockin in the free world bro and I hope they come to your town or near soon . . . I'm going to see them in Wisconsin and in Canada this September.

Date: June 16, 2011 22:13

dcba
I once bought a PJ dvd (NYC'03 iirc). It was in the bargain bin & the only song I liked was... the cover of "Prodigal Son". So PJ is a mystery to me.

Probably the least talented band out of Seattle... apart from Nirvana.

thats cool you dont like the band, but they never did a cover of Prodical Son; on that DVD off the top of my head, the covers were: Gimme some Truth- John Lennon; I Believe in miracles- Ramones, and Baba Orielly- the Who

Date: June 16, 2011 22:46

NSB2 - any idea where I can find the State College bootleg? Can't find it on the PJ website .

Date: June 16, 2011 23:22

BluzDude
NSB2 - any idea where I can find the State College bootleg? Can't find it on the PJ website .

[www.pearljambootlegs.org]

just register, takes minutes . . . and download away >grinning smiley<; I think there are about 700 PJ bootlegs on this site. 20% soundboards from 1991-1998; then from 2000- to present about 95% soundboards.

Caveat: all MP3 sad smiley

if you are looking for the physical bootleg; check out amazon or ebay or I think I may have it, not sure if I still do, I would have to check and you can have it if you want. I converted to audio files, dont have patience with physical discs . . .

State college 03 very long show over 3 hours, a bit sloppy . . . good show! Many of the 2003 shows were hit or miss, PJ is usually very consistent live, but I think Vedder was drinking alot this tour!drinking smiley

Date: June 16, 2011 23:34

thanks for the info !

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 17, 2011 11:03

NorthShoreBlues2

Right on C! smileys with beer . . . I hear you. You should, however, give Yield another chance, it probably my favorite if I had to choose; many in the PJ scene and many in the rock press consider Yield to be their one of their best. I think it definaly is outside first 2; its like their best "mature" album . . . keep on rockin in the free world bro and I hope they come to your town or near soon . . . I'm going to see them in Wisconsin and in Canada this September.

Ok, I'll try it!

By the way, I once saw a very funny article on the internet with a short review of every single concert that comprised the first bootleg series. Something like set list, vedder quote, and how a song was done (Jeremy?) CAn you remember where it was?

C

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 17, 2011 15:36

"that's cool you dont like the band, but they never did a cover of Prodigal Son"

Yep you're right! eye popping smiley "Fortunate Son" was the song. Great version (I love Fogerty btw) but that was about the only good thing on that LONG 2-dvd set.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home