Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Anyone remember quadraphonic music?
Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: June 14, 2014 18:57

Just wanted to see if anyone had experiences with quadraphonic sound , and wondered why it never caught on. My local radio station went quadraphonic for a brief period of time, and the only song I distinctly remember hearing is Brown Sugar. A totally different sound, and the guitars were right there in your face, it was like the song was coming at you from all directions.

Re: OT - Anyone remember quadraphonic music?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 14, 2014 19:32

I had a beautiful Sansui quad receiver with 4 nice Pioneer speakers in the 70s. The sound was a big deal then, though, like SACD later, there wasn't a lot of product, and, like SACD, it petered out due to public disinterest. In fact I'd be hard pressed to remember what albums I had in Quad. Then of course we got surround sound a few years back and Quad was a moot point.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: June 15, 2014 08:20

Quadrophonic was brilliant. I had a philips system, large and mind blowing. When I played "Emerson Lake and Palmer", with Tank, my head would seem to swirl upwards like in a whirlpool. "Mandingo"was another good one. Some labels tried to remaster old recordings for quad', so they reckoned but were no good.The shortage of suitable product was an issue coupled with having to buy a new unit did not help.I have listened to surround sound, but its not the same. Goin Home or Gimme Shelter would have been mega, if it existed.

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: June 15, 2014 08:22

I loved quadraphonic music! My nerdy stepfather had a Fisher Quadraphonic system,and it was incredible.It was one of the few things he did right.It was around 1973,and I was in 10th grade.Every speaker had a different instrument playing,and it was best to sit in the middle of our family room to get the full effect.I think that is why it never made it big,because it wasn't too versatile.If you sat by one speaker ,you would mainly hear one instrument. I like it better than surround sound for music.I was at a record convention about a year ago,and a guy there was selling different quadraphonic systems.Maybe I'll get one someday for my back room.I still have a quadraphonic Eric Clapton album.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: June 15, 2014 08:45

Another reason it never caught on I think was there was 3, if I remember, different settings, I remember SQ but I dont remember the other 2. My Philips system had a switch to get the correct one to match the record, some systems only had 2 settings.I only have 2 records left and they are both SQ.I was lucky, at the time I had it set up in a square room with a speaker in each corner, near the ceiling, I do miss it.

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: June 15, 2014 09:02

Pink Floyd quad Animals tour

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 15, 2014 10:19

Yes. Problem was, people only have two ears.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2014 10:31

Hey yea I had the ole Pioneer quadraphonic system ...
Albums?... the only one I can remember that I had was the Johnny Winter - Still Alive and Well

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: June 15, 2014 11:52

The quad sound is far better then stereo!I use it everyday!There are many blogs where you can download vinyl rips or old 8cartridges rips.The quad version of "Bruxelles 73" is amazing,it was aired by an american radio by the time.It's by far my favorite record!!! It's very easy to listen to quad today the 5.1 systems aren't expensive and opens you to a wonderfull world.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 15, 2014 12:10

Before my time, but I do remember the debut of its logical successor, holophonic sound, in 1983. Rather than just having music coming at you from four sides, holophonic sound had the added advantage of immersing the listener within the recorded soundscape.

The first album to be released in holophonic sound was Pink Floyd's The Final Cut, which was ideal because it was more an audio radio play than a standard album of songs. When you were listening on headphones, and you heard footsteps crossing from side to side you would have to take your headphones off and look around to make sure that there were not actual footsteps in the room with you. It was touted as having the added advantage of being "pirate proof"--that is, if you dubbed a cassette tape copy of the album you would not get the same "holophonic" effect as if you were listening to the actual vinyl original.

Alas, the holophonic sound experiment went about as far as the Pink Floyd album that was its original commercial showcase--that is, it flopped.

The Final Cut is still great to listen to on CD--it's Roger Waters' finest "solo" album in my opinion, but the sonic experiment that was holophonic sound was quite a novel experience in the last days of vinyl records.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 15, 2014 12:44

Pirate Bay has a bunch of Quad recordings, I have downloaded lots of Pink Floyd, Rush, The Moody Blues, Chicago, John Lennon...the list goes on and on!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 15, 2014 13:01

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-15 13:01 by Deltics.

Date: June 15, 2014 14:50

I did not know that Brussels '73 was available in a 4.0 mix.

The '72 "Ladies and Gentlemen" soundtrack is (or was) as well.

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 22:03

Was quadraphonic music the same as "phase four stereo" that was produced in the late 60's?

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: June 15, 2014 22:07

It was great. I still get headaches over its failure.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 15, 2014 22:20

Winning Ugly VXII
I did not know that Brussels '73 was available in a 4.0 mix.

The '72 "Ladies and Gentlemen" soundtrack is (or was) as well.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 16, 2014 10:47

Quadrophenia by The Who was, unsurprisingly, available in Quadrophonic.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: June 16, 2014 11:20

Many of the big boxes réeditions(Floyd,J.Tull,Who...)have a dvd or better a BluRay with 5.1 and quad mixes.Its to justify the price...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 16, 2014 11:28

Interesting. I wonder how the quad version of Ladies & Gents differs from the well known stereo mix. Was the recent surround mix (from Eagle Entertainment) for real at all?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 16, 2014 11:31

Always loved "surround sound" as a whole, Quad, Q Sound, 5.1, DTS, you name it ;-) I'm pretty sure Q Sound was used on all of Roger Waters' albums...let's see, yes, and on others as well : [en.wikipedia.org]

I wasn't aware of that "Brussels 73" Quad Mix, thanks, will track it down ASAP. I remember being disappointed in the "Ladies and Gentlemen" AUD at the theater and it's not much better on the DVD, just "crowd noise" in the back channels really.

The only real multi-channel mix of Stones music AFAIK is "Sympathy For The Devil" in fabulous 5.1 from that SACD sampler issued in 2002 with the SACD (not multi-channel) rereleases.

Many multi-channel rips can be "found" but beware of "SBU" versions as they are "upmixes", i.e. clever and sometimes effective "post-processing" but not real 5.1 Mixes.

There are many great real 5.1 recordings out there but the one I prefer is Gilles Martin "remix" of some Beatles' songs for the Cirque du Soleil "Love" project.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 16, 2014 15:15

gotdablouse
The only real multi-channel mix of Stones music AFAIK is "Sympathy For The Devil" in fabulous 5.1 from that SACD sampler issued in 2002 with the SACD (not multi-channel) rereleases.

There are many great real 5.1 recordings out there but the one I prefer is Gilles Martin "remix" of some Beatles' songs for the Cirque du Soleil "Love" project.

SFTD in 5.1 is absolutely fantastic!

I also agree about the 5.1 mash ups of The Beatles done by Giles Martin. (Done for the Cirque Du Soleil show). They are very good indeed. Strangely, the same tracks in plain old stereo are rubbish! Go figure.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Des ()
Date: June 17, 2014 00:48

I'd be curious if anybody had any more info regarding the first quad album.

My recolection was an 8 track of Atomic Rooster, A buddy set up a car 8 track in his bedroom, hooked it up to a car battery and 4 speakers in the corners of the room. If I recall the album had music designed to run around the room, very cool.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 17, 2014 01:00

LieB
Interesting. I wonder how the quad version of Ladies & Gents differs from the well known stereo mix. Was the recent surround mix (from Eagle Entertainment) for real at all?

I don't know, but it sounds like crap on my surround sound system. It sounded great in the theaters in the 70s, but they lost something putting the soundtrack on the DVD.

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: June 17, 2014 03:30

71Tele

So if say four people are talking to you at once from 4 directions you can't hear some of them? That's weird.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 17, 2014 06:48

hypnohighball
71Tele

So if say four people are talking to you at once from 4 directions you can't hear some of them? That's weird.

I hear all of them, but only have two sides (ears) to hear them. Not that weird.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 17, 2014 07:57

Absolutely! Great stuff! Who could forget.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Date: June 17, 2014 08:02

CaptainCorella
Quadrophenia by The Who was, unsurprisingly, available in Quadrophonic.
eye popping smiley I refuse to believe you!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 17, 2014 15:16

gotdablouse
Always loved "surround sound" as a whole, Quad, Q Sound, 5.1, DTS, you name it ;-) I'm pretty sure Q Sound was used on all of Roger Waters' albums...let's see, yes, and on others as well : [en.wikipedia.org]

I wasn't aware of that "Brussels 73" Quad Mix, thanks, will track it down ASAP. I remember being disappointed in the "Ladies and Gentlemen" AUD at the theater and it's not much better on the DVD, just "crowd noise" in the back channels really.

Many multi-channel rips can be "found" but beware of "SBU" versions as they are "upmixes", i.e. clever and sometimes effective "post-processing" but not real 5.1 Mixes.

I've got an SBU version of Brussels Affair in 5.1 and it is amazing...Mick Taylor all over my living room!smiling smiley

Date: June 17, 2014 16:17

Hehe...how about the actual 4.0 mix though mentioned by mickjerome (hey, nice to see you briefly at the SDF on Friday!); I'm going to try to track that down...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 17, 2014 21:24

Found a link to the Quad "Brussels Affair" in the Buy/Sell section and I'm now blasting MR...wow, just wow...it's a bit bittersweet though but, man is it good!

--------------

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home