Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Worst Set Opener? Best?
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 19:46

SMU, Not Fade Away and Satisfaction are all great openers in my book.

JJF has to be saved for the end surely.

HTW was a bit lame for a first song IMHO, too slow and plodding for an intro. An intro has to be quick, well-known and upbeat. Almost over before you know it's started, if that makes sense.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 00:05

I have to disagree with Start Me Up as an opener .
Don't get me wrong I love the song but it's just so predictable .

But if they tour again I don't care what the opener is , as long as there is one .

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 19, 2011 00:10

StonesTod
if i had to pick my favorite - and i don't - i'd go with let it rock.

That's my pick as well - a real gutsy choice for an opener and a terrific kick-rock-n-roll groove - gets the audience steam up instantly

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 19, 2011 00:15

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
if i had to pick my favorite - and i don't - i'd go with let it rock.

That's my pick as well - a real gutsy choice for an opener and a terrific kick-rock-n-roll groove - gets the audience steam up instantly

and to quote/paraphrase carolyn wonderland (a local austinite), "if you don't like it, it's ok, cos it's not very long."

Date: April 19, 2011 00:27

True that! - though there can't be many who doesn't like (to) Let It Rock among the lucky ones who catched one of the better 1978 shows

THe 'surprise element' of using such an unknown song, within the RS catalogue, as an opener has a great effect.....because it makes the listener aware on what a great band this really is....I mean how great they play together....instead of just being a band who "can play their greatest hits very well".

So the audience are confirmed that they're not "being fooled into liking the concert just because they like their songs"....it's the sole way they play that's important.

Did that make any sense? Do we have to be speaking English at this board?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 00:48 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 19, 2011 00:30

Erik_Snow
True that! - though there can't be many who doesn't like (to) Let It Rock among the lucky ones who catched one of the better 1978 shows

THe 'surprise element' of using such an unknown song, within the RS catalogue, as an opener has a great effect.....because it makes the listener aware on what a great band this really is....I mean how great they play together....instead of just being a band who "can play their greatest hits very well".

So the audience are confirmed that they're not "being fooled into liking the concert just because they like their songs"....it's the sole way they play that's important......did that make any sense, i wonder

very profound and freudian of you, erik. i didn't realize you were this deep. vacation must be a big boon for you....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 19, 2011 00:43

JJF 69
SMU 89-90
HTW 75-76
LET IT ROCK 78

any order will do take your pick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 00:45 by melillo.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 19, 2011 00:44

In theory Prodigal Son was a great idea for an opener for the benefit concert in '79 but it came off less than stellar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-18 13:43 by ryanpow.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: April 19, 2011 01:02

worst : Not Fade Away
best.: Start Me up/Brown Sugar

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2011 01:14

I've liked them all although always thought Under my thumb was a bit of a 'nothing' song compared with most other Stones songs,so a bit of a nothing and therefore worst opener. Liked all the rest, so, all = no. 1 but I think the best possible (Famous) opener would be Sympathy.........Pleased to meet you........(One hit has a great intro though so IMHO would also be a great opener)

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 19, 2011 01:27

Best: Let It Rock

Worst: Start Me Up

Date: April 19, 2011 01:33

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

So the audience are confirmed that they're not "being fooled into liking the concert just because they like their songs"....it's the sole way they play that's important......did that make any sense, i wonder

very profound and freudian of you, erik. i didn't realize you were this deep. vacation must be a big boon for you....

thanks, Tod.....but when mr. every-day comes knocking again, I'll slip back into deep apathy again. When eastern holiday is over, you'll might see my next decent post around Christmas time

Date: April 19, 2011 01:36

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

thanks, Tod.....but when mr. every-day comes knocking again, I'll slip back into deep apathy again. When eastern holiday is over, you'll might see my next decent post around Christmas time

don't stress over it. one every three or four years is all we ask for....

Date: April 19, 2011 01:47

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

don't stress over it. one every three or four years is all we ask for....

If I'll make it THAT seldom, I'll forget everything about stating an opinion or thinking new thoughts - I'll just end up recycling my former posts..... A get-together every 3-4 years and recycling previous merits....that sounds familiar.....can't put my finger on what....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 01:48 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: April 19, 2011 01:53

Best:
"6? Everybody Needs Somebody to Love/Pain in My Heart
'69 JJF
'72 Brown sugar
'81 Under My Thumb

Posted by: jackstraw52174 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 03:17

Don't think that I've heard a Rolling Stones opener that I didn't like. JJF, Brown Sugar, HTW, LIR, UMT, NFA, SMU.....! As for HTW, when the house lights went down and the PA system started playin Fanfare for the Common Man, the crowd started going crazy, crescendo, lights hit mick then keef with the opening chords to HtW. What more could you ask for!?! A hot summer night back in 1975 with the Rolling Stones in Seattle!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 19, 2011 05:22

let it rock

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 19, 2011 05:41

I personally liked seeing Not Fade Away in '94-'95, but my memory of the one show I saw is colored by recordings I've heard from the tour. Everything sounds hushed/dead/compressed. I'd like to hear something with some atmosphere. I mean, it looked good, but the sound?

Similarly, I remember the big buildup at a Babylon show (2/12/98?), and then Keith's guitar wasn't audible until halfway through the opening riff of Satisfaction, so that was a letdown...

Anyway, still withholding judgement until I hear more.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 19, 2011 05:53

tomcat2006

HTW was a bit lame for a first song IMHO, too slow and plodding for an intro. An intro has to be quick, well-known and upbeat. Almost over before you know it's started, if that makes sense.

which is exactly the problem with Not Fade Away - slow and plodding, not quick, well known and upbeat.

JJF is best as the last song of the encore. It is so hard driving that you feel exhausted and consumed at the end.

Start Me Up was great as the Steel Wheels opener and was accompanied by a literally blinding explosion. Since then, it has become predictable.

plexi

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 19, 2011 13:37

Not Fade Away ('94-95) and Paint It Black ('06) good in theory, so-so in execution.

Of the shows I've seen since my first in 1978, Jumpin' Jack Flash at the No Security shows stood out as a great opener. They charged out of the gates and really attacked it.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 17:59

timbernardis
tomcat2006

which is exactly the problem with Not Fade Away - slow and plodding, not quick, well known and upbeat.

JJF is best as the last song of the encore. It is so hard driving that you feel exhausted and consumed at the end.

Start Me Up was great as the Steel Wheels opener and was accompanied by a literally blinding explosion. Since then, it has become predictable.

plexi

i agree with you... perhaps the familiarity, unexpectedness and great rhythm of Not Fade Away exempted it from part of my argument. It's over quickly too.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:30

Best; Under My Thumb 81, Start Me Up 89/90 the Wembley soundboard version could wake the dead and Street Fighting Man 02/03.

Worst; You Got Me Rocking. Terrible tempo to open a show.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 19, 2011 23:15

Start Me Up is the worst anytime. Jumping Jack Flash always seems to work well for the opener.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 20, 2011 00:21

tomcat2006
timbernardis
tomcat2006

plexi

i agree with you... perhaps the familiarity, unexpectedness and great rhythm of Not Fade Away exempted it from part of my argument. It's over quickly too.

The 1994-1995 NFA opening can't quite compare to this:

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2011 10:13

I don't think there is way to better "Jumpin' Jack Flash" from the 1969 tour. Well, "Brown Sugar" from 1972/73 comes close. Those were not any goddamn 'war horses' yet but hot and current songs from the era, and probably greatest rock songs ever done by anyone. Fortunately we have documemnts today to see the openers in use.

Anyway, I still remember when I first listened to YA-YA'S and was totally knocked down by its majestic opener - I guess never had any riff made such an impact to me - not before, and not since. And this was in 1982; one can only guess what that monster riff and song was like in 1969 played as an opener in its heyday...

Seemingly, 1975/76 was the first tour to play with the nostalgy card, and "Honky Tonk Women" reflected it nicely. "Let it Rock" in 1978 and "Under My Thumb" in 1981/82 were genious choices to start with a surprise. "Start Me Up" worked nicely in 1989/90. And "Not Fade Away" was nice, thought choice again, like "Let It Rock" and "Under My Thumb", like a bit challengng the crowd. The standard Vegas show ever since start with some familair classic, which is an easy and obvious choice, and presents the nature of the show immediately. No imagination there.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 10:15 by Doxa.

Date: April 20, 2011 10:30

Am I the only person here who knows that they toured before 1969? winking smiley

How about this for an opening:

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 20, 2011 10:37

Nothin beats Start Me Up as a opener...worst must be The Worst smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: April 20, 2011 12:02

for me the best opener was 1981/82 UMT. the 2nd best SMU. JJF i prefer for the encore. Not fade away was a nice suprise, but didnt really work for me.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: April 20, 2011 21:00

PIB opened in Foxboro Bigger Bang. Did not work at all. Still Think NFA VL was best!

Date: April 20, 2011 23:59

GADAWG
PIB opened in Foxboro Bigger Bang. Did not work at all.

It works quite well here I think...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home