Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Yusuf Cat Stevens
Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: September 12, 2014 19:58

Has anybody seen him in the last years? Is it worth going?

Re: OT Yusuf Cat Stevens
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 12, 2014 20:31

Yes - definitely. |Seen him twice in last 8 years and both times were great. I think he's about to announce some dates either in USA or UK.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 12, 2014 20:35

There is a bunch of stuff on youtube from the last few years. Nice tight band and he has his guitar chops back (swore off the guitar for 20 years). His voice is in good shape, just not as strong and in your face as it used to be. If he were playing a show nearby, I would lay out the money.

Date: September 12, 2014 20:52

He is playing in vienna in november so I guess I will give it a try

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 12, 2014 21:31

i am not a fan but i seen him play at this years rock and roll hall of fame induction ceremony and he really delivered the goods . if you are a fan he still get's it done . you will not be dissapointed !

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 12, 2014 22:29

TheGreek
i am not a fan but i seen him play at this years rock and roll hall of fame induction ceremony and he really delivered the goods . if you are a fan he still get's it done . you will not be dissapointed !

thumbs upTHAT.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 12, 2014 22:47

Koschi
Has anybody seen him in the last years? Is it worth going?

Saw him a few years ago at the Royal Albert Hall. Powers completely undiminished, go and see him if you have a chance. Fortunately, he's smart enough to spare us a sermon about the merits of Islam and his personal journey and all that stuff, or at least he did when I saw him at the RAH. I remember talking to people that had seen the first one or two of that particular run of shows he was doing back then, and they said that in those first couple of shows he DID start banging on about it, and the audience basically booed him and told him to shut-up and "get on with it" ....

By the time the RAH show came about, he had learned his lesson and just played the gig without subjecting the audience to all that stuff ... having quite sensibly recognised that most people were actually more interested in simply hearing a couple of hours' worth of Cat Stevens songs and not getting a free lecture about where he'd been for the last 25 years and what he'd discovered !

On the basis of the RAH gig, I would say he's not to be missed .... GO !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 12, 2014 23:49

Kurt
TheGreek

thumbs upTHAT.

+ 1. Whatever his religious predilection, the man has obviously found joy and purpose. More power to him. He was great at the R&RHOF thing. Humble and jusifiably proud of his canon at the same time.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 13, 2014 00:04

A year or two ago he did a gig at a school in Kingston-upon-Thames,my home town ,in front of less than 100 people at a local school. One of his long time band members lives here and also a relative of Cats' does as well. They did it in front of the parents and kids who were there for a music lesson. Was in the local press with a pic as well. thumbs up

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: September 13, 2014 02:27

Saw him in 2011, in Munich. Brilliant concert, over 2 hours... his old friend Alun Davies was there as well, on the 2nd guitar just like old times... this is what we got:

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 13, 2014 03:40

<<By the time the RAH show came about, he had learned his lesson and just played the gig without subjecting the audience to all that stuff ... having quite sensibly recognised that most people were actually more interested in simply hearing a couple of hours' worth of Cat Stevens songs and not getting a free lecture about where he'd been for the last 25 years and what he'd discovered !>>

Yes, it seems people who go to the RAH just don't like to hear an audience talk, not even for song introductions. Pete Townshend did them at a 2000 concert there, a charity gig hosted by the Who with lots of celebrity guests. During a fairly lengthy song intro to Bargain, this exchange between PT and the audience took place:

The Who:”>Responding to a cry of “Get on with it!”] @#$%& off.
“>Huge audience cheer]
The Who: I @#$%& paid as well, about forty or fifty times as much as you did. But then I can afford it, can't I.

The above quote is featured on the filmtomato.com site for the DVD: [filmtomato.com]

Cream seemed to have done it right--by barely talking to the audience at all. Or perhaps it's just a Londoner/English thing. Perhaps Londoners and such go to concerts in the hope that they will be ignored by the audience performing there, and when the artist bothers to take the time to acknowledge them they just get all cranky and tell the artist to get on with it, I don't know....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:35

Great set list! HOLY COW! He's playing the Wang Centre, Boston, Massachusetts USA on Dec 4....I'd love to go! It may be my Christmas present to ME, from ME!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2014 01:40

He's supposedly coming to the States. I don't suppose he'd be able to sell out huge arenas like he did in the 70s. I'm not sure if younger kids would be that interested, like they would be in a Zeppelin reunion, or into going to see the Stones with their parents. Still, I'm sure the moneyed old folks will make up for it by paying stiff prices in 5-6,000 seaters.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 19, 2014 02:33

What does he bill himself as these days? Yusuf Islam, Cat Stevens, the artist formerly known as . . . ? (In that music fans obviously know him as CS.)

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: September 19, 2014 02:35

Fatwa it's worth, my fatwa took us to see Cat Stevens before he became infatwaated with Islam. My fatwaassed sister had a huge crush on him.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: September 19, 2014 02:44

Seen him at a party with Salman Rushdie the other night, they were talking about the recent ISIL video Cat was in.

Date: September 19, 2014 07:15

He is billed as Yusuf Cat Stevens here in Austria

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 19, 2014 14:23

lapaz62
Seen him at a party with Salman Rushdie the other night, they were talking about the recent ISIL video Cat was in.

Good to see that Cat and Salman are now friends, after their very public falling out.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: September 20, 2014 02:54

Aquamarine
What does he bill himself as these days? Yusuf Islam, Cat Stevens, the artist formerly known as . . . ? (In that music fans obviously know him as CS.)

Hamburg, few days ago:

Poster for the concert I saw 3 years ago:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-20 03:00 by Milan.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: September 20, 2014 14:11

lapaz62

????????????????????????

YM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-20 14:23 by Yazid Manou.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: September 20, 2014 14:32

Nice posters. It seems that when he needs to sell tickets the name Cat Stevens is still written in Big Letters .. Yussuf is a lot smaller..

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 20, 2014 18:27

24FPS
He's supposedly coming to the States. I don't suppose he'd be able to sell out huge arenas like he did in the 70s. I'm not sure if younger kids would be that interested, like they would be in a Zeppelin reunion, or into going to see the Stones with their parents. Still, I'm sure the moneyed old folks will make up for it by paying stiff prices in 5-6,000 seaters.

There's a pre-sale Wednesday for people who buy his new CD on Amazon. The only thing is there's no guarantee of actually getting tickets. Top price at the Beacon is $250.

Date: September 20, 2014 19:17

andrea66
It seems that when he needs to sell tickets the name Cat Stevens is still written in Big Letters .. Yussuf is a lot smaller..

That is not true regarding the CD (Sony Legacy Recordings)

YM

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 21, 2014 01:49

andrea66
Nice posters. It seems that when he needs to sell tickets the name Cat Stevens is still written in Big Letters .. Yussuf is a lot smaller..

Yeah, can't blame him though. There are no doubt ALOT of folks who remember Cat well and would pay to see his show, but don't know that he's Yusuf now. And probably wouldn't recognize him from that new pic either.

I've caught a few interviews with him over the last ten years, and he has made remarks about being a bridge between the Muslim world and "the West". Not that this is his goal, just that he's happy to play that role. So for that reason also, I like the use of the "Cat Stevens" name on the posters.

Date: September 21, 2014 04:15

Yazid Manou
lapaz62

????????????????????????

YM

[www.youtube.com]
Watch the video

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-21 04:16 by lapaz62.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 21, 2014 04:33

I saw him do a few tunes a the HOF Induction ceremony this spring in Brooklyn. I never really cared about his music one way or the other but I've gotta say, he was pretty fantastic. A very witty guy, to boot.

Date: September 21, 2014 14:30

lapaz62
Watch the video

This link has absolutely NOTHING to do here. IORR is a great MUSIC forum.

YM

Posted by: SixesandSevens ()
Date: September 22, 2014 06:01

Yazid Manou
lapaz62
Watch the video

YM

I dunno. I suspect if, say, Mick Taylor or Joni Mitchell publicly called for the murder of another human being, it'd be worth a thread on IORR.

Date: September 22, 2014 06:26

Just the apologists at work again.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: September 22, 2014 07:12

SixesandSevens
Yazid Manou
lapaz62
Watch the video

YM

I dunno. I suspect if, say, Mick Taylor or Joni Mitchell publicly called for the murder of another human being, it'd be worth a thread on IORR.

Truth

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2125
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home