Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Honky Tonk Women
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: September 17, 2014 15:51

Was Country Hink released a couple months before HTW? I was too young at the time but imagine it would be very cool to pick up a new Stones album as good as Let It Bleed and then a bit later hear HTW which would already be familiar via CH but rockin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 21:57 by bv.

Re: Honky Tonk Woman
Date: September 17, 2014 15:59

Surely, the single came first?

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 17, 2014 16:05

No.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: September 17, 2014 16:26

according to wiki (which isn't always correct)
Honky Tonk Women single
B-side "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Released 4 July 1969 (UK)
11 July 1969 (US)
Format 7"
Recorded Olympic Studios, London
June 1969

Let it Bleed album
Released 5 December 1969
Recorded November 1968, February – November 1969 at Olympic Studios, London, England

john

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 17, 2014 16:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:05 by camper88.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:00

my all time # 1 stones song . boy do i love hearing Keith plays those open G chords in the intro ,and the lyrics dont even get me going followed by the best damn Keith guitar solo .pure bliss to my ears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:01

I was always under the impression CH was recorded prior to HTW, and was thus the true original version. johnh gives us a range, but does anyone know more precisely when CH was recorded?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:46

Love CH. Keith says it was originally recorded as a Hank Williams/Jimmie Rodgers type of thing (CH) and later rocked up for HTW.

I wish they would do the CH version live just to change things up.

Matt Clifford on fiddle? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 17, 2014 20:57

Tate
I was always under the impression CH was recorded prior to HTW, and was thus the true original version. johnh gives us a range, but does anyone know more precisely when CH was recorded?

Let's see what Nico Zentgraf has to say:
[www.nzentgraf.de]

- Honky Tonk Women I (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Jimmy Miller on cowbell, Reparata and The Delrons, Nanette Workman & Doris Troy on backing vocals;
version with different 2nd (Paris-)verse (9th and/or 16th March)

17th April - 2nd July: London, Olympic Sound Studios.
With Mick Taylor (MT) from 24th May onwards.
- Country Honk I (MJ/KR) -early version without fiddle (12th May)
- Country Honk II (MJ/KR) -first version with Mick Taylor
- Honky Tonk Women II (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Jimmy Miller on cowbell,
7" version, recordings begun 30th May - 5th June

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 17, 2014 21:27

Question - Does Mick Taylor play on 'Country Honk'?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 17, 2014 21:32

Of course Honky Tonk Women came out first. It was a big single, all over the radio that summer.

The Beatles had a similar situation in '68, with Revolution the single and Revolution 1 on the White Album.

Date: September 17, 2014 21:50

nightskyman

Yep, the slide guitar. It's one of the two songs on LIB he plays on (LWM as well).

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 17, 2014 21:59

DandelionPowderman
nightskyman

Yep, the slide guitar. It's one of the two songs on LIB he plays on (LWM as well).

Thanks, thought it was him on slide. A great track, sounds like a bit of intro done outside?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 17, 2014 22:00

My intuition says Country Honk is the basis for Honky Tonk and as left over the released it LIBleed....great tune and indeed pity they never played it live...Man I love the intro with the claxon

Re: Honky Tonk Women
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 17, 2014 22:08

honky tonk woman is so overrated, its an average mid tempo semi rocker, nothing more, nothing less. they made so much better which never got noticed much, really cant understand why this happens with the stones.

cant understand why anyone would rate this thier all time no 1 stones song.

gimme shelter, jj flash, brown sugar, let it loose, rocks off, paint it black, satisfaction are the obvious better ones but its about opinions.

Date: September 17, 2014 22:08

NICOS
My intuition says Country Honk is the basis for Honky Tonk and as left over the released it LIBleed....great tune and indeed pity they never played it live...Man I love the intro with the claxon

Your intuition was confirmed by Keith decades ago smiling smiley

They played the intro at Knebworth, btw.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2014 22:12

buttons67
honky tonk woman is so overrated, its an average mid tempo semi rocker, nothing more, nothing less. they made so much better which never got noticed much, really cant understand why this happens with the stones.

gimme shelter, jj flash, brown sugar, let it loose, rocks off, paint it black, satisfaction are the obvious better ones but its about opinions.

So now you can understand...

Date: September 17, 2014 22:24

It was the first single with fully developed open G-playing by Keith. The sound, and his playing alone makes it a classic. Add the production and a fantastic chorus. What's not to like with the studio version?

Date: September 17, 2014 22:25

DandelionPowderman
NICOS

With claxon..........b.t.w. if I remember all the confirmations they made I could write THE book of the Stones "LIVE"

Date: September 17, 2014 22:49

NICOS
DandelionPowderman
NICOS

With claxon..........b.t.w. if I remember all the confirmations they made I could write THE book of the Stones "LIVE"

Ronnie played it, and then Mick cut him off by saying "it was before your time, Ronnie" grinning smiley

What is "claxon"??

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 17, 2014 23:06

Which came first, don't know - all I know is every time CH comes on, I'm at my front window looking out at the street! (and this has been going on for 45 years...)smoking smiley

Date: September 17, 2014 23:07

2000 LYFH
Which came first, don't know - all I know is every time CH comes on, I'm at my front window looking out at the street! (and this has been going on for 45 years...)smoking smiley

grinning smiley

Date: September 17, 2014 23:39

DandelionPowderman
NICOS
DandelionPowderman
NICOS

Ronnie played it, and then Mick cut him off by saying "it was before your time, Ronnie" grinning smiley

What is "claxon"??

We called it a Toeter........I just cheked out WIKI and claxon seems to be an Dutch word for car horns

In Japan, the word "klaxon" kurakushon?) refers to car horns in general, and in verb form (kurakushon suru s to sound the horn. This is also true in languages such as French (French: klaxon), Italian (Italian: clacson), Dutch (Dutch: claxon), Russian (Russian: knakcon), Polish (Polish: klakson) and Czech (Czech: klakson).

[www.google.nl]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2014 00:25

buttons67

It's so Rolling Stones. Charlie's bump and grind drums. Mick's sleazy lyrics. Keith's crunchy chords. Bill doesn't contribute a lot on this one but he may have laid back to let the guitar dominate more.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 18, 2014 00:31

I thought I read somewhere that Mick Taylor? was responsible for the guitar intro part and it came about only during a mixing session where the the other guitar was turned down and they all realized that the second guitar part worked so very well all by itself. They then started playing the tune with the second guitar part as the main riff. peace

Date: September 18, 2014 01:44

NICOS
DandelionPowderman
NICOS
DandelionPowderman
NICOS

What is "claxon"??

We called it a Toeter........I just cheked out WIKI and claxon seems to be an Dutch word for car horns

In Japan, the word "klaxon" kurakushon?) refers to car horns in general, and in verb form (kurakushon suru s to sound the horn. This is also true in languages such as French (French: klaxon), Italian (Italian: clacson), Dutch (Dutch: claxon), Russian (Russian: knakcon), Polish (Polish: klakson) and Czech (Czech: klakson).

[www.google.nl]

Ah! Should have guessed that grinning smiley

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:03

treaclefingers
buttons67

So now you can understand...

Yes yes yes! The production, the drum sound. Embryonic weaving.......4 hands playing one guitar. Even the arrangement, piano, heavy horns..... This was the formula for one of the most prolific five album periods of all time.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:43

buttons67

I think it's rated perfectly as one of the greatest singles of all time. Absolute killer chorus with those harmonies going at it with great instrumentation re horns and the atmosphere provided by Keith's guit along with what would be become his signature sound with G tuning is awesome. Miller's producing is first rate. I dunno about figures but I'm guessing outside of "Angie" it's probably their biggest selling single? It topped charts in Australia, UK, US for a month or more and it's an awesome party song and Jagger's lyrics make it one of the great drinking songs ever. It's a fave of the general public and critics as a rule rate it very highly and after 45 years is still in high rotation on classic rock stations, the song obviously has a mass appeal that for whatever reason just doesn't appeal to you.

Then again my seven year old daughter who is now quite the Sones connoiseur quipped when she first heard it "It's ok but it's not the best" hahaha

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:48

I seem to remember an interview with Keith who said it became HTW precisely because of the way Taylor was playing Country Honk in the studio.

Date: September 18, 2014 09:59

"On Let It Bleed, we put that other version of Honky Tonk Women on because that's how the song was originally written, as a real Hank Williams/Jimmie Rodgers, '30s country song. And it got turned around to this other song by Mick Taylor, who got into a completely different feel, throwing it off the wall completely".

- Keith Richards

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home