Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:14

cc
nothing from the Wood era is "Americana,"

Everything from the Wood era is Americana.

Date: April 15, 2011 05:23

Palace Revolution 2000
I was just reflecting on Brian while driving and listening to "Down Home Girl". I assume that is Brian playing the solo. I don't think we have ever touched on that topic/solo here before. IMO it is a weak solo; I think Brian was stellar writing parts; fixed melodic lines. His forte wasn't "we're in the key of E, Brian; take a solo.."

I think that's Brian playing slide in DHG and the solo is unspectacular. But the other melodic parts he plays in the track are great. As you say, Brian was never much of a soloist. It was his riffs, counter-riffs, melodic lines, and rhythm work that were brilliant, the perfect antagonist to Keith's gritty rock guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 05:24 by neptune.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:39

I wonder why Lindsey, of all people, was chosen to be spoofed week after week in Kenan Thompson's "What Up With That?" SNL skit. It would be pretty funny if one time they did it and it was really him sitting there.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 15, 2011 05:58

neptune
Palace Revolution 2000
I was just reflecting on Brian while driving and listening to "Down Home Girl". I assume that is Brian playing the solo. I don't think we have ever touched on that topic/solo here before. IMO it is a weak solo; I think Brian was stellar writing parts; fixed melodic lines. His forte wasn't "we're in the key of E, Brian; take a solo.."

I think that's Brian playing slide in DHG and the solo is unspectacular. But the other melodic parts he plays in the track are great. As you say, Brian was never much of a soloist. It was his riffs, counter-riffs, melodic lines, and rhythm work that were brilliant, the perfect antagonist to Keith's gritty rock guitar.

It's not slide on DHG. Keith plays the lead guitar and solos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 06:06 by His Majesty.

Date: April 15, 2011 06:48

neptune
71Tele
I think Taylor's joining was incidental in that development. The Stones were going along with the "back to roots" wave that swept Britain in '68 and also discovered their signature "Open G" style template soon after. Taylor in fact was probably the most experimental of the five, if you consider some of the stuff on GHS and IORR, though nowhere as much as Jones, of course.

Very true. The 'back to roots' movement was big by 1968 everywhere. Even Brian was swept by this, as he was listening to CCR and Dylan's Nashville Skyline right before his death. And, yes, MT was great with the Stones and I do love GHS because of his fluid guitar work. It's just that the Stones have been stuck in this 'back to roots' wave for 42 years!

you can thank THE BAND and dylan for the roots movement of 1968

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 18:30

poor lindsey , always in peter greens shadow according to some people , but what about danny kirwan ? surely as good as peter.
i enjoy both fm periods and love to play the blues but definately prefer the rumours line up and lindsey is a GREAT guitarist !

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 15, 2011 19:01

keefriffhard4life
neptune
71Tele
I think Taylor's joining was incidental in that development. The Stones were going along with the "back to roots" wave that swept Britain in '68 and also discovered their signature "Open G" style template soon after. Taylor in fact was probably the most experimental of the five, if you consider some of the stuff on GHS and IORR, though nowhere as much as Jones, of course.

Very true. The 'back to roots' movement was big by 1968 everywhere. Even Brian was swept by this, as he was listening to CCR and Dylan's Nashville Skyline right before his death. And, yes, MT was great with the Stones and I do love GHS because of his fluid guitar work. It's just that the Stones have been stuck in this 'back to roots' wave for 42 years!

you can thank THE BAND and dylan for the roots movement of 1968

Without a doubt, The Band and Dylan were the big influence, but it has been argued that Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys anticipated the trend in 1967 with the DIY "Wild Honey" (one of my favorite albums by them). Lindsey Buckingham of course is a big Brian Wilson disciple -- what I like about that with him is that he absorbs the influence and makes it his own -- not just aping the master. He produced a very cool track for Brian in 1988 -- "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move", which was released as a B side and was available as a bonus track on the reissue of "Brian Wilson".

I think the beating a dead horse non-sequitor, running joke (an SNL tradition) of Lindsey on "What's Up With That?" is very funny, I saw some chat on a Fleetwood Mac board about him being amused -- it would be cool for Lindsey to show up. I know Blue Oyster Cult has embraced "More Cowbell"!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 15, 2011 19:14

straycatblues73
poor lindsey , always in peter greens shadow according to some people , but what about danny kirwan ? surely as good as peter.
Jeremy Spencer was pretty great as well. but then the Children of God got a hold of him.

Date: April 15, 2011 22:57

His Majesty
neptune
Palace Revolution 2000

Oh no, it's not slide. but why do you assume it is Keith playing that guitar?

Date: April 16, 2011 00:06

His Majesty

It may not be slide (I'll have to give this another listen because in spots it sure sounds like a slide), but the lead on DHG is surely played in a slide-like manner. That style fits more Brian the blues slideman than Keith the rocker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-16 00:11 by neptune.

Date: April 16, 2011 06:34

neptune
His Majesty

It may not be slide (I'll have to give this another listen because in spots it sure sounds like a slide), but the lead on DHG is surely played in a slide-like manner. That style fits more Brian the blues slideman than Keith the rocker.

No, the solo and some of the other lead playing have bending strings etc.

Why Keith, because some of the licks are just the same as his other lead playing from the time. It's just a not so very inspired Keith lead part.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: April 16, 2011 16:34

If you want to hear a really good Brian guitar solo listen to "I Wanna Be Your Man". To me that's a really good one considering he's doing a slide solo.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-16 16:40 by originalstones.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: April 16, 2011 16:38

I posted this before on IORR a while back. This is a different version of Lindsey's cover of "I Am Waiting". This might be an alternate version. He also covers another Stones song besides "She Smiled Sweetly" and "I Am Waiting". Let me try and find out which song. I think it was from December's Children.

Date: April 16, 2011 17:02

His Majesty
neptune
His Majesty

No, the solo and some of the other lead playing have bending strings etc.

Why Keith, because some of the licks are just the same as his other lead playing from the time. It's just a not so very inspired Keith lead part.

Well, if Keith played lead on DHG as you say, then Brian doesn't play at all on the track since those rhythm chops are certainly Keith as well.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 16, 2011 17:23

Lindsey recorded several Stones songs from that era for the original "Gift Of Screws" album that the label rejected to leverage another Fleetwood Mac album (Say You Will). Blue Turns To Grey, She Smiled Sweetly, I Am Waiting & Gotta Get Away were among them and widely bootlegged. He also did a couple of Dylan tunes from that era, Love Minus Zero was released as a bonus track. I wonder if he was planning a whole album of Mid-sixties stuff?

With the addition of Lindsey Buckingham, Fleewood Mac completed the transition from GREAT British blues band, to GREAT American pop-rock band. Quite a feat to be at the top of the game in both genres.

And as mentioned above, Lindsey is one schorching guitarist. Looking forward to his new stuff.

Ross

Ross

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 16, 2011 17:24

When I think of Brian, its always as the guy who helped put the band together, the iconic pop star, the harmonica player and multi-instrumentalist - the guy who died too young. Was he really a good guitarist tho? I always think it was Keith on the records who shone. Where did Brian play fantastic guitar on a Stones record? Recommendations are welcome.I'll stick em on.

Oh and Buckingham is unbelievable. I saw him a couple of years ago, and I posted here - I have never seen a better live guitarist (and yes, I have seen a few). I think there are two Lyndsey Buckinghams - the pop producer, and the live animal. Never has such a talented guitarist been so misunderstood, or had only one facet of his ability shine on record.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-16 17:28 by letitloose.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 16, 2011 18:11

i'm an LB fan....just as BJ was experimental with the Stones, LB was with Fleetwood Mac.
Not so much for the first 2 w/LB & SN (Fleetwood Mac & Rumours) because lots of that
material was from the Buckingham/Nicks duo era...but definitely TUSK. After mega-success
of the 2 previous albums, LB was allowed, & in some cases demanded that FM try
different things. The TUSK album seemed to be a compromise that satisfied the
fans of RUMOURS and LB's need to experiment. Comparison to the Beatles' White Album
isn't a bad one.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: April 16, 2011 19:25

neptune

Well, if Keith played lead on DHG as you say, then Brian doesn't play at all on the track since those rhythm chops are certainly Keith as well.

There's 3 guitars and those chops ain't that different from Brian's part for Off The Hook.

Date: April 17, 2011 05:57

letitloose
Where did Brian play fantastic guitar on a Stones record? Recommendations are welcome.

Little Red Rooster, I Can't Be Satisfied, The Last Time, and No Expectations, just to name a few. Several people on this site have said those are 'amatuerish' guitar parts, so I'm in the minority in saying they're fantastic.

Date: April 17, 2011 05:58

His Majesty
There's 3 guitars and those chops ain't that different from Brian's part for Off The Hook.

Those chops don't sound at all like the ones on Off The Hook.

Date: April 17, 2011 14:26

neptune
His Majesty

Those chops don't sound at all like the ones on Off The Hook.

Ok!

I'll just say they are basic bar chords with staccatto stabs and that either player could have played them.

smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home