Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger's stage moves
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 8, 2010 01:25

I like when musicians as a dramatic gesture get down on the stage floor. Keith likes to kneel down a lot and Mick used to do some kneeling and rolling back in the days(remember Midnight Rambler in the early 70's) but I don't think he did any of that during ABB. Is it a sign of Mick getting more "conservative" as far as stage moves go? I still love Mick stage presence,he was great at the R&RHOF 25th anniversary. Keep on rocking Mick!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Mick Jagger's stage moves
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 8, 2010 01:30

He rocked webster hall in '93. But I've not seen the acrobatics you speak of since 81-82 footage.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: January 8, 2010 01:44

His moves are all planned-out now.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 8, 2010 01:46

Some of the shows from ABB he was a mad man. All over the stage NON STOP!! Example Hershey PA and Columbus Ohio. Mick is the greatest that's ever lived.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 8, 2010 03:28

More Hot Rocks
Mick is the greatest that's ever lived.

Only in a universe where James Brown never existed.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 8, 2010 03:36

Live Licks tour he had so much energy on the last song , I got tired just watching him! lol

Posted by: jaggerzita ()
Date: January 8, 2010 04:59

In a universe with or without James Brown, I still think Mick is the greatest that's ever lived...Inspired by Brown,but he created his own style...
What a great frontman! winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 8, 2010 06:18

You can see a Stones without Keith. Are you smoking crack? How aboout a Bob Dylan and His Band without Bob Dylan? Can you see that too?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2010 08:34

Isn't Mick 66 years old? and he is not moving like he does 81-82? eye popping smiley

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 8, 2010 08:47

he definitely tried to present a more dignified persona starting with Steel Wheels--no more rolling on the floor or yobbish behavior. But it's probably time to take it down another notch and not have to pump up the crowd continually.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: January 8, 2010 08:57

mick keeps his shoulders perpendicular to his neck, the arm without the mic, he keeps the elbow perpendicular to the shoulder and flicks his wrist every other word, the hand with the mic either grasps it or flails wildly. All while he steps about as if wearing 6" stilettos.

OLDKR

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 8, 2010 09:03

oldkr
mick keeps his shoulders perpendicular to his neck, the arm without the mic, he keeps the elbow perpendicular to the shoulder and flicks his wrist every other word, the hand with the mic either grasps it or flails wildly.

yeah. he used to introduce new moves or have a somewhat different theme with each tour... but he's been doing the same set for a long time now.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 8, 2010 11:03

a nice collection of quotes on the subject: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-09 16:02 by with sssoul.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 8, 2010 16:07

Watch The Mick's stage moves from 05:20

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: January 8, 2010 16:29

71Tele
You can see a Stones without Keith. Are you smoking crack? How aboout a Bob Dylan and His Band without Bob Dylan? Can you see that too?

Your comparison is a fallacy. Keith was a background figure when the Stones started in fact to this very day the greatest year, as far as Stones popularity is concerned, for the Stones in the UK was 1964 (that's why the Stones still tend to play some more of their early R&B covers whenever they play the UK). Keith didn't play any significant role in those 1962 to 1964 (storm to the top) years more than any other background rhythm guitarist, this was Brians time and leadership, ofcourse during 1964 Andrew started to change that, but even so Richards first self written hit The Last Time (1965) was in fact based on a folklore song dating back to the US slavery time (and hence part of the public domain) called This Could Be The Last Time I Don't Know (check the Staple Singers version of this old song). And this might be a shock to you but it is NOT Keith playing that guitar tune (which made it so populair and a hit) on that song, it is Brian who came up with that tune and who played it (yes also on the record). But Andrew, the slick fox, quickly put it down as a Jagger Richard composition before any one could complain. And with good reason, he knew that it was gonna be a hit and that it would encourage the Glimmers to keep exploring making their own material, which it did with great results. Henceforth the pattern was set to put down any collective Stones song as a Jagger Richard composition (for example Honky Tonk was originally just a not very noteworthy country joke, untill Miller arranged and orchastrated it into what it has become today, yet it is not called a Miller,Jagger Richard composition is it?). But yes Keith became the riffmaster and wrote most of their greatest songs.......a long time ago (the last ten yrs he's only a mascotte). Jagger on the other hand was the voice and magnet attracting all attention straight from the first club gigs in 1962, and whilest Keith is only a mascotte on stage today it is Mick that is pumping up the audience and band, it is Mick's strange magnetism that attrackted 99% of all the todays Stonesfans to them in the first place, even most of today's Mick hating Keith lovers got in the first place interrested in the Stones after seeing Mick (only discovering Keith later, and you know it). You don't keep an armless guy in your football team to defend the goal, no matter what great keeper he was in the past.
Remember Syd Barrett? He was considered (as he was at the time the leader, singer and composer of) Pink Floyd. Like you claim today about Keith people at the time said Pink Floyd without Syd? Impossible! But Syd went out and in came Gilmour. Roger Waters rose to the occasion as Floyd's singer and composer and Pink came up with their greatest work ever (that silenced the critics) Yet also Waters left.And again; "what Pink floyd without singer composer Roger Waters, no way". But Pink Floyd came without Waters (Syd Barrett was allready gone remember) and released their new album A Momentary Lapse of Reason that went straight to the top of both US and UK charts. The same thing would happen with a Stones album without Keith (bearing in mind that Barrett and later Waters were much more crucial to Floyd than Keith ever was for the Stones).

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 8, 2010 16:53

He's much better in these latter days (TD from the VL ppv, OOC from Rio 98 and CTYL from Munich 03 as examples), though sometimes he overdoes it (Satisfaction from the superbowl show). I'd take his latter day moves over any previous tour, though there's some real nice ones from 69 and 72.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 8, 2010 18:02

Totally disagree. Jagger used to have really cool moves in the past, but check out e.g his rather embarrassing stage antics on I'm Free from Shine A Light. Terrible!!!
Anyway, I prefer Keith's more subtle moves and posing during that song. By the way, those models on front row look fabulous.....

Posted by: Back Of My Palm ()
Date: January 8, 2010 18:47

behroez oughtta get some new medication. Stones without Keef is
lika Beatles without Lennon and McCartney.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 8, 2010 20:02

What do I like in Jagger's moves ?

No one ever moved on stage as /like he does.

My favorite period ?
69/76 .

1972 if I had the choice .

For the way he hands the microphone & moves his arm , perpendicular/high to his shoulder .......
This is so particular !

Some of the posters here must have already jumped to 2.22 ....cool smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 8, 2010 21:56

...has there been anyone better?...difficult to say.....do I think he needs a few new smoove moves???...maybe.....smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-08 22:17 by Rip This.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 8, 2010 23:33

Check out towards the end of the opening number "Brown Sugar" on the Twickenham Licks DVD. He does a crazy mad dance in one spot that got a great reaction from the crowd. I remember the great feeling I got at the gig when he did it.

This was the first show after a couple of cancellations (due to him having throat problems or maybe flu symptoms, I can't quite remember) and it seemed like he wanted to show that he was back with a vengance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-08 23:34 by vudicus.

Date: January 9, 2010 00:02

LA75 clip is superb IMO. Everyone looks great and the sound is near perfect.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 9, 2010 00:17

I love Mick and believe he is the best frontman ever. But since Steel Wheels, his moves have become way too exaggerated for me, too contrived. It almost seems that he is playing to a stadium crowd. (which, of course, he usually is) I would rather see him more subdued, less is more. However he does it, there is nobody like him.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 9, 2010 00:24

behroez
71Tele

Your comparison is a fallacy. Keith was a background figure when the Stones started in fact to this very day the greatest year, as far as Stones popularity is concerned, for the Stones in the UK was 1964 (that's why the Stones still tend to play some more of their early R&B covers whenever they play the UK). Keith didn't play any significant role in those 1962 to 1964 (storm to the top) years more than any other background rhythm guitarist, this was Brians time and leadership, ofcourse during 1964 Andrew started to change that, but even so Richards first self written hit The Last Time (1965) was in fact based on a folklore song dating back to the US slavery time (and hence part of the public domain) called This Could Be The Last Time I Don't Know (check the Staple Singers version of this old song). And this might be a shock to you but it is NOT Keith playing that guitar tune (which made it so populair and a hit) on that song, it is Brian who came up with that tune and who played it (yes also on the record). But Andrew, the slick fox, quickly put it down as a Jagger Richard composition before any one could complain. And with good reason, he knew that it was gonna be a hit and that it would encourage the Glimmers to keep exploring making their own material, which it did with great results. Henceforth the pattern was set to put down any collective Stones song as a Jagger Richard composition (for example Honky Tonk was originally just a not very noteworthy country joke, untill Miller arranged and orchastrated it into what it has become today, yet it is not called a Miller,Jagger Richard composition is it?). But yes Keith became the riffmaster and wrote most of their greatest songs.......a long time ago (the last ten yrs he's only a mascotte). Jagger on the other hand was the voice and magnet attracting all attention straight from the first club gigs in 1962, and whilest Keith is only a mascotte on stage today it is Mick that is pumping up the audience and band, it is Mick's strange magnetism that attrackted 99% of all the todays Stonesfans to them in the first place, even most of today's Mick hating Keith lovers got in the first place interrested in the Stones after seeing Mick (only discovering Keith later, and you know it). You don't keep an armless guy in your football team to defend the goal, no matter what great keeper he was in the past.
Remember Syd Barrett? He was considered (as he was at the time the leader, singer and composer of) Pink Floyd. Like you claim today about Keith people at the time said Pink Floyd without Syd? Impossible! But Syd went out and in came Gilmour. Roger Waters rose to the occasion as Floyd's singer and composer and Pink came up with their greatest work ever (that silenced the critics) Yet also Waters left.And again; "what Pink floyd without singer composer Roger Waters, no way". But Pink Floyd came without Waters (Syd Barrett was allready gone remember) and released their new album A Momentary Lapse of Reason that went straight to the top of both US and UK charts. The same thing would happen with a Stones album without Keith (bearing in mind that Barrett and later Waters were much more crucial to Floyd than Keith ever was for the Stones).

There are so many flaws in your reasoning it's hard to know where to start. Just one thing: The comparison with Pink Floyd is bogus. The Floyds were still a minor band with their whole history in front of them when Syd left. The Stones have been around almost half a century and it is amply been demonstrated that the Jagger/Richards songwriting and production team is what is responsible for their entire sound and identity.

Date: January 9, 2010 00:30

behroez: do not use this thread as a space where you can place your moronic attacks towards Mr Rock and Roll himself!!!

This is a threadabout Jagger's stage moves and it is not fair neither to him,
to us reasonable guys nor to you or Keef. Ya better go and start
a new thread to unwrap yer confused litanias.

And ya know damn well there is no Stones without Keith Richards.

Date: January 9, 2010 01:04

I like the 78 US tour (the videos). Mick was really funny on stage, very relaxed, loose and cool. There is a video, I think it's in Memphis he wears a leather white jacket and he sings "sweet little sixteen" he really rocks on that one, he is wild.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: January 9, 2010 01:09

Kinda miss the foot thingies

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 9, 2010 01:15

I would love to see Mick come out and just sing, just stand there and sing, at the mic, with the mic on a stand, without all the goofy faces, without all the hand flying about, and just sing. Not for the whole show mind you...

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: January 9, 2010 02:10

skipstone
I would love to see Mick come out and just sing, just stand there and sing, at the mic, with the mic on a stand, without all the goofy faces, without all the hand flying about, and just sing. Not for the whole show mind you...

Me to. When I look at my DVD with Stones I ask myself "Is he stupiedor what?"
It looks like.

Date: January 9, 2010 02:50

DKsoulman says:
Me to. When I look at my DVD with Stones I ask myself "Is he stupiedor what?"
It looks like.

I don't think Mick is stupid for a minute. He is an entertainer who seems to react genuinely and physically to music. When I go to a Rock and Roll show that's what I expect to see; some crazy shit going on stage. But everybody is different and I respect that. For me the more stupido, the better!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home