Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Jagger's stage moves
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 9, 2010 02:53

DaveG
I love Mick and believe he is the best frontman ever. But since Steel Wheels, his moves have become way too exaggerated for me, too contrived. It almost seems that he is playing to a stadium crowd. (which, of course, he usually is) I would rather see him more subdued, less is more. However he does it, there is nobody like him.

Yeah..there has never been a frontman come close, IMO...I agree with all of this post, though...all of his professionalism and discipline has left him just a bit calculated and emotionally stiff...

I also think that if he has to be so careful with his voice to get through the tour (and if taking more days off between gigs can't solve the issue), then I'd like to see him avoid the songs that require unrestrained passion to work --

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: January 9, 2010 03:29

behroez
Mick is just great, he really is the one that drags the whole band through the performance (backed up by Leavell, Fowler and the lot). I can see a Stones without Keith (easely and refreshingly so) but not without Mick, no way. And his moves are brilliant no one can catch that old serpent. You know he hears something else than everyone else does, that's why his dancing is so weird and mostly completely out of tune, but it isn't really, he just hears another tune than you or i do. And that's why no one can catch him, he dances to a different tune. The monster of rock got and consumed Brian, is doing his work on Wood (Taylor got out just in time) and has long ago allready devoured Keith's soul, but it just can't get Mick, because it can't follow Micks moves, true, he is the only sane person in the Stones because of that.

What, are you high??? The Stones without Keith would be like fire without smoke, no way!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: January 9, 2010 03:51

I can't knock Mick. If the Stones don't roll these days, its not because of Mick and Charlie. Its the guitar section that has fallen off the most. But I don't like how Mick's moves are so unnatural and planned out now. It used to just come to him and it was way cooler. Its not so cool when they are planned out. (Well, its cooler than every other lead singer... Its just not as cool as Mick used to be!)

I'll also say that even on Steel Wheels a lot of it seemed pretty natural. Especially during the Start Me Up intro. His energy was so high, he almost couldn't control himself.

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 16, 2014 19:05

Mick quoted in article about choreographer Stephen Galloway (today's Wall Street Journal Magazine)

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: August 16, 2014 20:22

A great stage move which I like a lot is kind of new to me or is it older? It's a sort of "giving gesture", Mick moving forward to the crowd and with his hand or both hands open, like giving something to someone, it comes across great. At least for me. Like the "we are delivering" thought of it or something.
Today I include this move in my at home dancing (when no one is around) when playing a Stones album.....Yes I got the moves like Jagger! smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 17, 2014 01:44

He does what he is capable to do. Don't expect him to jump around being 70

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 17, 2014 03:57

mtaylor

I would qualify what he does as jumping around. I mean, maybe not the same way he did at 20 or 30 but he does run and skip across the stage/hop a lot which is more than I can say for anyone in their 70s that I know. It's pretty amazing how fit he is.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 17, 2014 05:25

OutOfTime
A great stage move which I like a lot is kind of new to me or is it older? It's a sort of "giving gesture", Mick moving forward to the crowd and with his hand or both hands open, like giving something to someone, it comes across great. At least for me. Like the "we are delivering" thought of it or something.
Today I include this move in my at home dancing (when no one is around) when playing a Stones album.....Yes I got the moves like Jagger! smileys with beerthumbs up

I know the move you are talking about OutofTime, I like it very much too. Mick is very graceful, even when he is jumping about, but you can really see the ballet training in the way he extends his arms and in his spins.

Date: August 17, 2014 11:19

Love almost every move. He is tough, funny, has self-irony as well as magic on stage. A weird, but lovely mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 09:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 17, 2014 14:03

The seemingly spontaneous bursts of hyperactive energy have long since given way to more mannered, trained and choreographed stage moves. It's not change for the better. But he'd look a bit silly doing his old 1972 rooster strut at age 71. Just be thankful that he performs at such a high level at his advanced age.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 17, 2014 15:10

alieb
mtaylor

I would qualify what he does as jumping around. I mean, maybe not the same way he did at 20 or 30 but he does run and skip across the stage/hop a lot which is more than I can say for anyone in their 70s that I know. It's pretty amazing how fit he is.

thumbs up

Mick is the only showman ever, nobody compares and is second to none.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 17, 2014 23:43

Best moves? 1975 and 1976. Followed by 1973 and 1972. Followed by 1978. Followed by 1968. 1969. 1981 and 1982.

1989 was horrible. the 90s and 00s is just different mindless soulless aerobics or dance moves.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 18, 2014 00:31

He IS the very best front man ever for way too many reasons...he just IS top of the top. Brown and Michael Jackson had great dance moves but no one compares as an over-all front man. The charisma factor alone puts him there.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 18, 2014 00:38

rollmops
Is it a sign of Mick getting more "conservative" as far as stage moves go?

It would be conservative if he would use the same moves all the time. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 00:39 by Koen.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 18, 2014 04:11

Date: August 18, 2014 09:55

The "jumping" moves that he showed in Oslo were new. I know he had ballet lessons in a building a few hundred meters from where I live grinning smiley

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 18, 2014 19:06

I'd love to see him bring back the Rooster Move.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home