Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Ritchie Blackmore
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 10, 2011 17:32

Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Page, Taylor, Green etc all get discussed in this forum, but what do posters here think of Ritchie Blackmore? I’m not a huge Deep Purple/Rainbow fan at all, but have always admired Blackmore’s talent as a guitarist. His style seemed less bluesy than that of Clapton’s, with classical leanings in his style and approach. Are there any fans here?

Re: OT: Ritchie Blackmore
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 10, 2011 17:40

Blackmore always had great attack - really excellent pick action and sound; it's a legitimate and impressive trademark that can easily be noted on this clip. And of course, a great left hand. Tremendous player.

Date: April 10, 2011 17:52

This recording blows me every time I hear it. Blackmore is wonderful, but it's just a really excellent group effort with flawless musicianship throughout.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 10, 2011 18:00

Big Al
This recording blows me every time I hear it. Blackmore is wonderful, but it's just a really excellent group effort with flawless musicianship throughout.

I love that album. Listen to it a lot. I don't think Blackmore gets mentioned enough when talking about past great guitarists.

Date: April 10, 2011 18:34

I also find Blackmore’s pre-Deep Purple beginnings quite interesting. He received some early guitar lessons from legendary session musician Jim Sullivan and made his break, so to speak, with an instrumental group called The Outlaws. As well as releasing a few 45’s, they always acted as the house band for many of producer Joe Meek’s recording artists in the early-mid 1960’s. Live-wise, they also backed the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent when they toured the UK circa 1963-64.

One of the more better known early Blackmore performances is on the Heinz hit record, Just Like Eddie, which was a top-ten hit here in the UK, in 1963.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 10, 2011 19:11

Wish he would go back to Deep Purple. Steve Morse is very good, but he's no Ritchie Blackmore. Ritchie is in my top 5 favorite guitar players. I miss him.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2011 20:04

Agreed. Steve Morse is "too good", same story as Bill and Darryl

However, when it comes to Bach:

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 10, 2011 21:18

A great guitarist (caught him live with Rainbow) but doubt we'll see him on the Rock circuit again.Hasn't he recently taken to dressing like a wizard in pointy hat and playing medieval music?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 10, 2011 21:36

Blackmore was a household name as a guitar player." Made in Japan" came out and there he was. as a 13 year old kid in 1972 and hearing "Smoke on the Water" was totally cool.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 10, 2011 22:03

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 10, 2011 22:33

How Good is Ritchie Blackmore?

Not good enough to call to call Beck, Clapton and Page all crap guitarists (IMHO).

...but he admits to admire Angus Young...at least he got that right.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 10, 2011 22:46

WorriedAboutYou

The only thing I'll say : that's @#$%& weird, Ritchie. But hey to each his own.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-10 22:59 by rollmops.

Date: April 10, 2011 23:14

BluzDude
How Good is Ritchie Blackmore?

Not good enough to call to call Beck, Clapton and Page all crap guitarists (IMHO).

...but he admits to admire Angus Young...at least he got that right.
Yeah no doubt he has a reputation a first class Ahole over the years.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:07

Ritchie Blackmore is one of the greatest guitar players in rock.

Saw him with Deep Purple in 1987, with Rainbow in 1995 and with Blackmore's Knight in 2005. All concerts were very good.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:13

One of my favourites. His guitarwork on the classic albums "In Rock" and "Machine Head" is monumental. "Made in Japan" must be one of the best live albums ever released by any band - and the main reason behind that particular album's sucsess is Blackmore's guitar playing. Deep Purple without Blackmore has always been boring and dull IMO - he was the mad genious who gave their music some edge and artistic identity.
You mentioned all the attention people have paid to Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Page etc. and I definitely agree Blackmore as a guitarist and musician should be mentioned with the same respect.

Keith Richards is perhaps for must guys here on IORR "the king of riffs", but Richie Blackmore must be close to deserving that title with quality riffs like:
Man on the Silver Mountain, Black Night, Burn, Bloodsucker, Into the Fire, Woman From Tokyo, Space Truckin' - to name a few.
...and of course the most successful riff in history (together with "Satisfaction"), Smoke On The Water.

My favourite Blackmore moment, however, will always be his work on this legendary version of "Strange Kind of Woman" (the first solo starts from 1.50, the second from 3.50). Damn, that man can play play!

Date: April 11, 2011 03:30

The Worst.
One of my favourites. His guitarwork on the classic albums "In Rock" and "Machine Head" is monumental. "Made in Japan" must be one of the best live albums ever released by any band - and the main reason behind that particular album's sucsess is Blackmore's guitar playing. Deep Purple without Blackmore has always been boring and dull IMO - he was the mad genious who gave their music some edge and artistic identity.
You mentioned all the attention people have paid to Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Page etc. and I definitely agree Blackmore as a guitarist and musician should be mentioned with the same respect.

Keith Richards is perhaps for must guys here on IORR "the king of riffs", but Richie Blackmore must be close to deserving that title with quality riffs like:
Man on the Silver Mountain, Black Night, Burn, Bloodsucker, Into the Fire, Woman From Tokyo, Space Truckin' - to name a few.
...and of course the most successful riff in history (together with "Satisfaction"), Smoke On The Water.

My favourite Blackmore moment, however, will always be his work on this legendary version of "Strange Kind of Woman" (the first solo starts from 1.50, the second from 3.50). Damn, that man can play play!

Not only does he do a good solo.That song is just so much fun. I remember first hearing it at a young age.But it took me years after that to realize what the song was about.eye popping smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:57

SKoW (especially live) has always been my favorite from DP

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:43

rollmops
WorriedAboutYou

This is no way for a heavy metal God to end up.

Date: April 11, 2011 05:27

tatters
rollmops
WorriedAboutYou

This is no way for a heavy metal God to end up.
It's better than the way Tommy Bolin ended up.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:46

Blackmore is among the finest players in the history of rock. Truly unique style and tone.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 11, 2011 12:25

Deep Purple - In Rock. Say no more. Wonderful rock album.

Date: April 11, 2011 12:41

Who didn't dance with his first girlfriend on "child in time"..winking smiley
But than came that fabulous guitar solo..smoking smiley

Date: April 11, 2011 13:02

That Stratocaster - he got this unique sound out of it; not shrill at all.
The notes, scales - used classical ideas; even on something as Blues based as the improvisation in "Lazy", you can hear thwe classical fundamentals.
The image - not a pretty boy; a bit of old England wizardry, black dresser.
He stands for lots of 70's UK hard rock.

Date: April 11, 2011 13:05

Amsterdamned

A bit "robotic" performance, but good. This brings back good memories, as I used to play this song on the piano back in the day. I still remember "Inventionen" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-11 13:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 11, 2011 13:05

It's Child In Time, but not as we know it!

Date: April 11, 2011 13:08

Big Al
Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Page, Taylor, Green etc all get discussed in this forum, but what do posters here think of Ritchie Blackmore? I’m not a huge Deep Purple/Rainbow fan at all, but have always admired Blackmore’s talent as a guitarist. His style seemed less bluesy than that of Clapton’s, with classical leanings in his style and approach. Are there any fans here?

A much more fluent player than all mentioned above, maybe with the exception of Taylor. I'm talking about getting a solo going, and managing to keep it interesting.

This solo is quite bluesy and funky. Good stuff, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-11 13:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 11, 2011 13:14

DandelionPowderman

This solo is quite bluesy and funky. Good stuff, imo.

Yes and if you listen from 02:43 onwards, you can hear how he really begins to attack the instrument with almost Townsend-like force. Blackmore is nothing but superb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-11 13:15 by Big Al.

Date: April 11, 2011 13:25

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

A bit "robotic" performance, but good. This brings back good memories, as I used to play this song on the piano back in the day. I still remember "Inventionen" smiling smiley

Strange,
I played this one on the piano too, but still it was a guitar..smiling smiley

Date: April 11, 2011 14:10

Big Al

I always knew Ritchie liked the Gentle Giant. cool smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 11, 2011 14:45

Big Al

Jimmy Page take note. This could happen to you. It's already happened to Robert to some extent.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home