Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Shine A Light
Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: May 29, 2007 09:54

Sorry! I know this is late, but due to a few "accidents", like my computer being stolen, the schedule was insane, and finally an airline strike (SAS Sweden) etc... Here's a little bit of info:

1) I didn't get to see the clip. Scorsese didn't show it to the masterclass. It was only shown to the buyers at the marché du film, to which one needed a special kind of access card, a bit like in the Stones camp. The Rattlesnake Inn sticker will not get you into the Camp X-ray...

2) However - I spoke with him. SHINE A LIGHT: The main focus is New York, The Beacon theatre 2006. The concert, the line of people outside, the crowd inside. Lots of serious, intelligent interviews, material from the early days.
He says his dream is to "show the magic. The fantastic dynamics in Jagger's moves. To reveal a bit of the secret - why is he the best front man in rock? And - he has worked on this project for almost 10 years. He feels it's like his "favourite child, and about passion, magic, the soundtrack of his life".
He actually says a lot of things people on this board can identify with, things people on this board have written. The man's practically one of us, and familiar with the site! Unfortunately, I didn't bring any extra t-shirts to France.
I have the impression that he wants to film more! (Perhaps the last show at the O2?)
First, he was planning to(hoping to) takie the film to the Venice festial in Italy, but because of a delay, and due to wishes from the producer (management?), they thought perhaps Canada - Toronto would be the place to show it for the first time. But since he's been deeply involved in other projects (and does not want others to have the main responsability for his favourite baby while daddy's away working) the film is likely to premiere in 2008. He mentioned both Berlin and Cannes as possible festivals.

BTW, it was just like talking to any other hard core Stones fan. Except MS looks as if he's taped two mice above his eyes... Totally black brows, really impressive, and completely grey hair. We're definitely going to bump into him on a few shows this year. My guess is he'll at least be in London, filming more.

AND MY WERCHTER TICKETS have not arrived yet!

Re: Shine A Light
Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:01

Thank you Gal.
No Werchter for me too but i heard about strikes in Belgium

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:16

Thanks for the report !

In France people are also waiting for the Werchter tickets....

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: May 29, 2007 10:28

Yep, really he´s a big fan....... really hoping they film the O2 shows, this could be fantastic....

I received my ticket for Werchter 1 week ago (in Spain).....

see you all in a few days (this sound soooooooooo nice)......

Date: May 29, 2007 10:41

Lucky you! I have little hope of receiving my tickets before take off. The ticket handling really is a scandal.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 29, 2007 14:36

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your computer being stolen. I hope it didnt contain anything too sensitive or valuable.

Funny, but when the 3rd 02 show ended up being announced for the 26th August instead of the 25th (a date where I know they had the venue provisionally booked as well as Wembley Arena as an alternative), I figured that maybe the extra day off may have something to do with setting up film crews

If theyre delaying the film, it seems it may have been a recent decision, as the Biggest Bang DVD has been rush released for mid-June so as not to break the agreement that they dont release anything within 3 months of the Scorsese film.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 29, 2007 15:40

Thanks Tralala. Great story and info.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 29, 2007 15:41

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your
> computer being stolen. I hope it didnt contain
> anything too sensitive or valuable.
>
> Funny, but when the 3rd 02 show ended up being
> announced for the 26th August instead of the 25th
> (a date where I know they had the venue
> provisionally booked as well as Wembley Arena as
> an alternative), I figured that maybe the extra
> day off may have something to do with setting up
> film crews
>
> If theyre delaying the film, it seems it may have
> been a recent decision, as the Biggest Bang DVD
> has been rush released for mid-June so as not to
> break the agreement that they dont release
> anything within 3 months of the Scorsese film.

I think you're right! Anyway, filming the last of the 02-shows seems only fair, since it's practically their home ground. Footage from that show belongs in such a documentary. (Only my humble opinion, of course...)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 29, 2007 16:05

The O2 concert would be a thrilling addition to an already great documentary I think.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 29, 2007 16:11

why the focus on MJ? what is this, the sequel to being mick?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 29, 2007 16:15

It'll be very interesting to see how this one developes
but if they end up cancelling the second show to preserve anybody's voice for the one they're filming ...there'll be a few very cross bunnies around here ;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-29 16:17 by Spud.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 29, 2007 16:17

great report! i don't want to wait until 2008 though...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 29, 2007 17:17

I hope that the DVD has the complete concert footage in it, without edits, voice-overs, etc.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:01

So no reference to the "GOLDEN YEARS - 1969 thru 1973 - LIVE"

Why am I not surprised...

MLC

Date: May 30, 2007 01:11

Tralala Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your
> > computer being stolen. I hope it didnt contain
> > anything too sensitive or valuable.
> >
> > Funny, but when the 3rd 02 show ended up being
> > announced for the 26th August instead of the
> 25th
> > (a date where I know they had the venue
> > provisionally booked as well as Wembley Arena
> as
> > an alternative), I figured that maybe the extra
> > day off may have something to do with setting
> up
> > film crews
> >
> > If theyre delaying the film, it seems it may
> have
> > been a recent decision, as the Biggest Bang DVD
> > has been rush released for mid-June so as not
> to
> > break the agreement that they dont release
> > anything within 3 months of the Scorsese film.
>
>
> I think you're right! Anyway, filming the last of
> the 02-shows seems only fair, since it's
> practically their home ground. Footage from that
> show belongs in such a documentary. (Only my
> humble opinion, of course...)

Maybe, especially as its the tour finale. However, it would have made more sense to be in a ABB DVD set (similar to what we're getting next month) as the Scorsese stuff was all filmed last Halloween (10 months earlier) and there's the issue of 'continuity' (or lack of it) between the NY and London shows.

That, plus Mick said theyd no plans to film any shows in Europe for a DVD release.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:46

I think that's really disappointing, even though I see why he would want to include the last show of the summer tour, especially a London show. Man, 2008 seems way too long to wait. I can't wait for the Stones DVD project, hope it's worth the wait. I'm still thinking of coming over to London, lots of uncertainties though, lots of job stuff.

Date: May 30, 2007 01:47

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> So no reference to the "GOLDEN YEARS - 1969 thru
> 1973 - LIVE"
>
> Why am I not surprised...
>
> MLC

Oh, but I didn't hear anyone saying that there would NOT be footage from the 69-73-period... Well, my feavourite Stones period, too. We'll just have to wait and see. Post production is going on, but I have a very strong impression that he wants to do this job himself. And there's this Asian project he's involved with, that's also going to take a lot of time. The wait could be longer than we like, but just knowing that this fantastic project is under way, in the hands of a true fan... Makes me happy, though! Yes, I know it's very UNCOOL to say that I'm glad a true fan is making the documentary, journalistic objectivity, distance and all that. But I don't care! Bless his heart.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 30, 2007 01:57

Thanx for reporting, Tralala.

Thats a long wait till 2008 - but Berlinale seems a good choice.

sorry to hear your pc was stolen - that sucks big time, at least it would for me.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 30, 2007 02:07

screw him; i was holding off hoping for the best but hearing, if true, that '69 to '73 is erased from this historic legacy makes it, if true, the very sad joke i was hoping he'd avoid...
everytime he gets his hands on exclusive footage he either dosen't use it, or clips it up to bitz and pieces...he dosen't want to use maylses classic stuff...he wants it be MARTY...

wrote the following yesterday after tralala's happy return to us...then decided not to use it...put my best foot forward, hope for the absolute best...in spite of myself...
but here's how i saw it, see it...seeing the bit about it's not a concert movie anymore, it's a historic thing but almost the entire golden period is removed...even tho there is so much great classic unreleased footage...it's bullshite baby...so now what the hell is this movie about? besides marty debergi interviewing derek smalls...
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

i think it's a bad sign; marty being marty...he's gonna make it all marty...
MARTIN SCORCESE PRESENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!therollingstones

.mick's his new robbie, he's in love again...work out his homo erotic love for another front man at the expense of the actual band...or story...

as for the 'secret' of jagger's great power as a revelatory organic stage performer and honey voiced master of gravity and performance dynamics...
yes Marty, tell us the 'secret'...while you're entirely missing the golden age...

yes explain the 'secret'...cover something we couldn't figure out when nuryev and mick were hanging...or when we first saw mayles slo mo concert shots of a glowing mick in gimme shelter...

the rolling stones are a band...(that's a clue in case marty's 'people' ever do really read the forum; probably do for some kind of grass roots street team cred for the project)
so let me make it easy for them to understand:
the rolling stones are a band.

the band consists very powerfully in equal measures by all 7 'full' rolling stones in their history, (since this is now a history and not about the beacon except it's about the beacon shows and round and round we go, then add stu and nicky and real quick...and not snip snip snip cut cut models screaming, jagger shaking his ass..snip snipn....
the rolling stones are a rock band. they play rock music.

it would be nice to see some of that in context...if your first twenty camera people didn't get it then it's not there...
and now it's about everything which means it's about nothing...mick said it would be mostly a concert film...marty has other ideas...

so do i have this right?
he's gonna make it mostly about the beacon and the long lines...
and mostly about historical footage and information...
and mostly about interviews...
and mostly about showing the great 'secret' behind mick's power and popularity...mick mick mick

and he already has dozens and dozens of hours of film, old and new and he wants to delay things and get more footage so it can be
mostly about big crowds and stadium and mick's secret power and interviews and historical footage and the beacon events and performances and the long lines...and the cute bored model chix and the beacon event and the meaning of life itself...

got it...and oh yeah, the '69 never before seen concert footage and other outakes...
snip...cut....yeah, hear the womem working working, all down the line...(dubbed cheers) cut...snip....cut...snip snip snip...blah blah blah...cut cut slip...well i met uhhh, gin soaked bar room queen in memphis....(cheerss!!..snip snip cut cut...

....or maybe he's going to england to film bill and taylor in interview...
i'm sure, just like 'one of us' that would come to mind immediately, were he to extrapolate in need of more footage...etc..etc...
being a real fan like one of us and all...or even an independently thinking documentarian...

well, i've been bitching about this guy since over three hours of the eternal story of dylan yields zero songs straight thru...

but a lot of time on arcane interviews with some interesting but extremely minor early observers...muddled the chronology, missed huge events for small ones...and missed the music in favor of everything else...even in the midst of tons and tons of fascinating footage, none of which he shot, or was involved in...but all of which was open to him, and then forever locked away again unseen...that's not responsible, that's not artistic, that's criminal...

...everything but the music, the music...everything but the music in context...anyone who had the 1965 newport footage, and used it as a promo teaser, and then didn't come thru with the song, does not have my respect as a documentarian or a rock fan...

what about the 18 different cameras they had at the beacon...what about the access to classic unseen out-takes that only he has the power to censor forever or bring to us, including entire songs, from '69 tour...

i just hope one of his editors is somewhere near hip or knowledgable...
yeah it's the soundtrack to his life...nobody alive since '64 cab claim anything too very different...

just my opinion and i'm entitled to it...and he's free to prove me entirely wrong in november, or now sometimes in '08 if i understood tralala correctly...

tralala was so hoping you were gonna see a short edit, but it would have just been that...still, i know you're a big fan and had your heart set on it...i've been watching for your post for days...so very sorry your computer got stolen!!!! holy moly, that's a disaster...the whole trip sounded stress...but you still are chipper and 'up' and that's good to see...

sorry for that and glad you're back...and thank you for the report...yeah those eyebrows are like really scary...why somebody dosen't slip him a mickey and hire a barber is another great scorcese mystery...i hope you don't mind my views, they are not a personal attack on you or marty, it's just a little canary slowly getting ill in the coal mine...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 30, 2007 02:09

Rolling Stone magazine - 40 Anniversary Edition May 2007

ROCKMAN

Date: May 30, 2007 02:25

mickschix Wrote:
> I think that's really disappointing, even though I
> see why he would want to include the last show of
> the summer tour, especially a London show. Man,
> 2008 seems way too long to wait. I can't wait for
> the Stones DVD project, hope it's worth the wait.
> I'm still thinking of coming over to London, lots
> of uncertainties though, lots of job stuff.

go on, Debs - ya know it makes sense

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 30, 2007 05:56

so its not september like we thought?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 30, 2007 07:06

Tralala, thank you very much for your posts on the festival and talk with Mr. Scorsese. I don't hear anything other than what we thought the film would be like. The concert film The Band gave plenty of attention to other members besides Robbie R.

Beelyboy, I respect your passion. I think it may yet turn out quite all right.

Date: May 30, 2007 08:54

Thanks Angee for the encouraging and kind word, you know i'm gonna go see it excitedly no matter what...
and very sweet of you, thank you...

but i did feel that robbie got all the spotlight in this movie about the band, and we heard or saw very very little from, or about garth, richard, levon etc...the story of The Band and their players, where they came from, who they were...the house that Bill built, ground zero central for cultural renaissance, marty missed the ambiance of it all, according to many...

i still enjoy it very much as a concert movie tho...at least it had uninterrupted performances that seemed unedited...and what great artists...

and also, if you read Bill Graham's most excellent and important auto-biography, (great stories about his stones tours in the 80's btw)...one sees that Graham, and others, thought marty really missed the story in context...
Graham was hurt and enraged and felt ripped off actually...great concert footage, yes...how's van morrison and eric clapton and ronnie and dylan and emmylou and all those greats gonna be less than fascinating if YOU filmed them with your cellphone!!! but there was a story there, and the storyteller, of all people, didn't tell it...

furthermore, if you'll kindly excuse just the shortest rant...
the excerpt from rockman's kind paste above, shows marty to be oblivious to the whole music scene even as it went on around him in the same neighborhood, when dylan's albums were breaking, and everyone in the entire country, with the exception of scorcese, was hip to beat turning to hootenanny folk turning to folk rock and country folk rock and everything else...

i was like 8 and 9 and was buying every hootnenanny magazine, digging peter paul and mary hitting number one with a dylan tune...and i was a kid in brooklyn, not a film student in the village where it was going down for real...

he's an eternal outsider, and his documenatares feel like it...
now at least i know why lars from newport '65 with bloomfield kooper and the original recording band, never made it to more than a promo tease, and then a verse, ONE verse... and a quick cut away, forever keeping these vaulted treasures from us...
i was so angry about that for so long...but now i get it...it wasn't cynical on his part, it was just stupid.
it's because marty simply had absolutely no clue of the historical context or the artistic intensity...that's scary stupid, sorry, it is.

but yeah Angie, i'm a total stones fan; i love them so much; i am still totally thrilled about the rolling stones...ain't that amazing, over forty years since i got into 'em...???

i know he ain't making the film for fans, he's making it for the general public as a historical marty document or something...even more reason to give us the boz naked making history...it's all right there...i feel he's deconstructing everything, than rebuilding it in the image of his ego...and thereby shitting on history...
well, we all got over that horrible doors movie that came from an otherwise compelling director and great actor...at least it blew away and not too many people actually believed it had anything at all to do with Morrison and the doors...so, if that's the best i can hope for...that something awful will just go away and not taint the legacy of a rock genius...well, that's kinda not so great...to me anyway...

i was so proud of the posters here (and at shidoobee) who immediately broke the b.s. model story with a lot of funny and angry commentary...it was the first indication that this was going somewhere other than real...

i won't miss the movie regardless, but i'm for sure gonna bring a valium or something so i don't blow a gasket if i don't get my rock and roll...cuz u can do ANYTHING that u want to do, but nuh uh marty, stay offa my shoes...do NOT step on mah blue suede beelyboots...winking smiley

i wouldn't go on like this if i didn't love 'em and wasn't looking so much forward to the beacon show and the maylses footage (that will not be there) etc..etc...etc...
they are going to excise '69 to '73??? why not just make it a documentary on the making of bridges to babylon and call it the definitive stones document...
boy that would be exciting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-30 09:10 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2007 09:07

>> they are going to excise '69 to '73?? <<

Tralala (who is the one who spoke to Scorsese) has already pointed out that
no one except MCDXXL said anything about skipping those years.

Date: May 30, 2007 09:14

thnks withsssoul, i was sure hoping that was a rumor...in fact, i hope my entire analysis is wrong. This Beacon show, and any heretofore unseen concert footages from mayles or the '72 crews are so very close and important to my heart...i mean, only stone gone fan-people here can come close to imagining how close to my heart all this stuff is...
__ ___

(and mick makes me nervous sometimes frankly..what with killing the taylor footage from the cavett interviews etc...is bill next? brian already a vague rumor...kinda thing, ya know....
so i hear something like that, and i think, hmmmmmm...who's thinking what about this project?, how close are mick and marty...how close are marty and charlie, ha...could mick have an image revision in mind...could marty have anything in mind other than thru mick...just wonder about the personal politics of this production deal and these relationships...that would be a great story some production insider could tell us someday maybe...how involved are the stones...i would guess keith and charlie and ronnie don't even want a say, but could be wrong...there's the beauty of the naturalness of the perfect rock and roll animals...haw, i imagine charlie dosen't give it a thought, or just acts polite if it's mentioned)
gimme stones...stones...as long as the guitars play...the drummer thinks that he is dynamite...i'm goin' home on a south-bound train with a song in my mouth...i'm going home on a south-bound train with a song in my mouth!!!!...
think you better git on board...oh yeaahhhhh.....oh yeahhhhhhhh.....

AND...a good comprehensive stones docu would also have some excellent footage of ronnie with beck and faces...u know...the actual story, if someone's gonna tell it, it tells itself, if they'll let it rock.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-30 22:45 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: May 30, 2007 10:17

Tralala wrote

<<I have the impression that he wants to film more! (Perhaps the last show at the O2?)>>

Thanks for all your hard work in keeping us all informed Tralala.

If they do continue at the O2 on the 26th then maybe with us being close to the stage we may end up being filmed ourselves and famous for about 10 seconds? LOL

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2007 10:28

Great post Beelyboy.
Very interesting points in there ;^)
There's so much stuff that could be drawn on to tell this band's story in a fashion that does them justice.
It just needs the right balanced approach and the right inspiration to pull it off. [but that's a big ask !]

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 30, 2007 12:00

Beelyboy wrote:
> Tralala, thank you very much for your posts on the
> festival and talk with Mr. Scorsese. I don't hear
> anything other than what we thought the film would
> be like. The concert film The Band gave plenty of
> attention to other members besides Robbie R.
>
>
Guess, you've never read Levon Helms book, then? ;-) He ain't too happy about the film, in general because he sees it as a film about Robbie Robbertson, in particular because he thinks the film portrays Garth Hudson as some kind of rednecks and the rest of the band as also-rans ;-)

I have to say in fairness, that Levon Helm comes across as a bit of a whiner (he ran on home during the Dylan going-electric-concerts because the audience were booing - well, my guess is, they weren't booing because of the drummer in particular;-)) and I do love that film - one of the few music films that you can watch more than once ;-)

As for getting the magic of Jagger?? I'd say now is as good as time as any to figure him out? Loads of magnetic, charismatic singers out there in their 20's - how about one going on 64?

And perhaps Keef will get a look-in, too? If the film had been made in the 70's, I doubt whether he would have been any different to the footage in "C*cksucker Blues"? I.e. tumbling around, making the odd one-liner (if that)

Having said that, I resent the way they manipulated the audience for the Beacon Shows. Stones are old now - so are a lot of their fans. The film should show that IMHO

Date: May 30, 2007 12:09

Dear Beelyboy - and every person on this board who have jumped to conclusions, based on what I wrote... Please don't! The fear of this being another "Being Mick" is totally - .. well, that's just not the case. In one section of the film he uses 16 (sixteen!!!) cameras, and that's a lot - even for Scorsese. So, the question was - why? Ah - to try to capture the magic in the movements. In other words: This is not the entire film, just a little clip - I think. And he's using old and new material, there are open hearted interviews - there are clips of some of you guys... Remember they filmed in NY at the Beacon. Not only models, I think.
But people have really written interresting posts about the Shine A Light issue. Some full of "wrong conclusions", some with a little bit of prejudice - but all very charming in their own way.
Finally: Remember that this is for a documentary film. That limits the length of the final product. Perhaps 90 minutes? But - does that exclude the possibility of a later DVD release with a "Director's cut" version? I suppose Scorsese will have problems deciding NOT to use certain clips. It's a "kill your darlings" business editing a film. But they don't throw away the footage they don't use - so let's hope for an extensive 5 hour long - or more - Director's Cut.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home