Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Leon Russell appreciation
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 00:18

I was reading in RS about Leon Russell's induction to the RRHF this year and I was moved by the fact that Russell seemed to think he had been forgotten. He thanked Elton John for basically bringing him back from some place of oblivion.....and I was amazed. I've always thought of Russell as an icon from the 60s, 70s....I didn't realized he had fallen on difficult times or had slipped under the radar. I guess in term of popular success, but to me, this guy is huge, not just for his work with the Stones and Mad Dog, but as a songwriter - his songs for Joe Cocker are classic. This is a beautiful version of "A Song For You" from the HOF ceremony. Still a master.

Re: Leon Russell appreciation
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2011 00:19

Very moving story. Elton owes a lot to Leon, and he paid him back with interest.

Date: April 5, 2011 00:25

Yeah, according to the report, Russell was practically in tears as he thanked Elton. So good to see him get his due. Its funny, as a Stones fan, Im always flabbergasted when an artist doesn't have that ego-driven sense of their legendary status, so its nice to see a story like this. The article called Mayer's guitar Clapton-esque, but I hear more Taylor in the melodic flourishes...very nice.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 00:26

Have ALWAYS loved Leon. One of the bluseist, iconic musicians of the last 40 years.

Great work with SO MANY artists! Glad to see him back.

If you don't have it, get the Elton/Leon Cd, "The Union." It's excellent.

Cudo's to Elton for reaching out to Leon.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Date: April 5, 2011 00:31

There is a clip of Leon backing Aretha on some mid-60s tv show appearance....during her Columbia years. Two artists out of their natural element - Russell in a suit with short hair accompanied by a very sedate-looking standup bassist and drummer and Aretha singing a show tune. I didn't know had been a studio musician for Columbia...he's literally been everywhere.

Date: April 5, 2011 00:53

Speaking of Leon, he produced Dylan's original "Watching The River Flow" with Jesse Ed Davis on guitar and Jim Keltner on drums, along with a couple of other tracks. Too bad they didn't get a whole album out of these sessions. I loved the stuff they did together.

Date: April 5, 2011 01:03

Here is the induction - such a heartfelt tribute by Elton and thanks from Leon. Its cool to see how badass Leon was back then....still is. That long hair is as iconic as anything in rock and roll.....and his list of credits Elton reads off is unbelievable, many I had no idea of... even if he didn't mention the Stones. Im going to have to delve into Mr. Russell's entire catalogue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 01:05 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 5, 2011 01:06

Great artist...great voice..."i'm not always happy with aging voices but I love him"

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: April 5, 2011 01:12

...goin' back to Oklahoma just one more time...Leon & Shelter People...great record

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 01:16

I think his '70 self titled album can be added to the list of great debut albums. And the supporting cast! Gads!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 5, 2011 01:21

Alice Cooper next to Neil Diamond singing Da Do Ron Ron !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 02:54

The master of time and space. Leon is was and is the MAN! Wonderfully earthy performer that oozes music from his pores. Elton did him right in a big way, and it is wonderful to see and hear. Leon was able to afford a new tour bus with more room and comforts. The Union is a pretty good album as well.

Date: April 5, 2011 03:10

I've always been aware of Leon Russell, even as a kid....that hair and those glasses were such an indelible image. It makes me grateful to have grown up in the era that I did.....listening to him perform "Song For You" made me think of my nieces and kids today and how they'll never understand how someone with such a gravely voice, crazy hair and out-of-the-mainstream persona was actually a mainstream artist.
And I loved his "Lady Blue" when I was a kid.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:31

He's awesome.

Lukester is a big fan and could prolly tell ya a lot more about him than I can.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:41

He put out a wonderful country album back in the Seventies called
Hank Wilson's Back. He also did an interesting take on Wild Horses.

Posted by: lonecrapshooter ()
Date: April 5, 2011 03:43

saw him perform at BB's and he opened with JJF

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 5, 2011 04:31

JJ Flash >< Youngblood >< JJ Flash medley

Concert for Bangladesh...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 04:33 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 5, 2011 04:34

Elmo Lewis
He's awesome.

Thanks Elmo. I hope you still enjoy those Leon CD's I traded you years ago. Leon had indeed slipped into relative obscurity. I've seen him at least 8 or 9 times since 1975. Most of the recent shows I've seen were in small clubs with audiences of 200-700 people. Some of you might remember I circulated an Induct Leon Into the Rock and Roll HOF petition on this website a couple of times over recent years. Yes, Elton definitely got Leon into the R&RHOF, and for that I am very appreciative, still I am miffed that Leon remained overlooked by the HOF dicks all these years.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 5, 2011 04:53

Wow, thanks for the tape of the ceremony and performance, SG2.
I'm sorry I haven't seen him live.

Date: April 5, 2011 05:27

Lukester

.... Leon had indeed slipped into relative obscurity. I've seen him at least 8 or 9 times since 1975. Most of the recent shows I've seen were in small clubs with audiences of 200-700 people.

That's amazing to me. I never knew much about him, just knew the songs, the persona as a kid...but I knew who he was. Like I said, I realize his commercial success dwindled, that's nothing unique for older artists, it happens..but I assumed he had that aura of past glory that kept people coming to see him, appreciate him. To me, he was always Leon @#$%& Russell, that guy with the long hair, glasses and top hat who played the piano and sang in that great, distinctive voice. Did he spiral into personal issues? Drugs? I don't understand how Leon Russell could ever not be iconic.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 06:48

Yeah, I have seen Leon a few times. My favorite was when my dad took me to see him with Willie Nelson. Great show! He deserved to be inducted into the R and R Hall of Fame a long time ago!! The album Leon Live is stimply stunning. His version of Out in the Woods in incredible. Where he starts explaining the Zulu chorus is priceless.... And Shelter People and Carney are fantastic. Hell all is stuff is great!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 5, 2011 08:22

Great thread; I hadn't seen the HOF footage. When I was a kid, my first exposure to seeing 'live' rock musicians was when my mom took us to the CFBangladesh movie in 1972. Wow, that's what some of the people on the radio looked like! And all these songs all these guys had....they just kept playing! Any future possibility of a respectable office career disappeared before I even got out of elementary school. (Sorry, mom!) "Thanks mom!" I had a Leon black light poster from the movie w/ him in the Holy Trinity shirt and tophat for the next 8 years. And a fundamental shift took place; I was buying singles in a year or two as we kids slowly inherited the stereo hand-me-downs from our parents, then on to albums and RS fandom and then playing guitar within a few years, and it's been the constant drive/fascination/journey ever since.

Really nice to see the man get his due and hear that amazing list of credits. I still have a battered copy of 'Carney' on vinyl. Elton's one year of intent and tribute has perhaps even saved/redeemed his (Elton's) soul after years of post-Cap'n Fantastic schlock. Well not totally, haha, but it definitely gets him some major kudos and good behavior points...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 5, 2011 08:32

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 5, 2011 09:15

great attitude by Elton John.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 5, 2011 11:55

I was overjoyed when Elton dragged him back out of semi retirement last year. The album they did together was great and let's hope that Leon is now working on another solo album.

For me the debut is the one - I guess in many ways it's the birth of southern rock. All those cats like the Allmans, JJ Cale, and latterday heroes like The Black Crowes and Driveby Truckers owe him so much.

Another overlooked album of his is Will O'The Wisp but the debut is the one for me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 5, 2011 12:01

Leon Russel ? The white-haired guy from 'The Conert For Banla Desh'...is he back? Great News!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 5, 2011 15:33

lonecrapshooter
saw him perform at BB's and he opened with JJF

Yeah, I saw him at a music festival in Memphis last year, put on a great show, opened with JJF there too. Band was really good. Did a little Paint it Black too.

Date: April 5, 2011 22:43

I remember seeing pictures of him as a kid, and there was always something so magnetic about him - the long hair, beard gave him an old sage vibe, but there was something in his eyes that was strangely sexy and mysterious...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 5, 2011 22:50

Elmo Lewis

Lukester is the person I thank for turning me onto Leon Russel.....I never really got into Leon, apart from him being a great piano player for others, before Lukester sent me a CD of Leon. Turned my eyes open.....love his early 70s albums, both live and studio - lots of soul in his voice and his songwriting.

Elton's not my cup of tea - but he sure gave a nice speach there

btw...nice to see you here, Lukester, cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 23:44 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 5, 2011 23:42

marquess
great attitude by Elton John.

A class act.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home